InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crossed Wires ❯ Surprises and Sacrifices ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: You know I saw one of RT’s earlier anime. I swear the heroine looked just like Kikyo, and the hero Inuyasha only will shorter and darker hair. I’m wondering if perhaps that’s the way RT really wanted to see this anime end? Who knows, these are her imaginative creations. I just like to mix it up with them.

Crossed Wires

Chapter 18 - Surprises and Sacrifices


Kagome moaned softly as she fought to regained consciousness. Heavy eye lids refused to respond to her silent commands to open. She felt the hard throb within her arm, and the soft cushion upon which she laid, light bled through her eye lids and soft murmurs teased at her ears feeding her need to wake.

Blinking against the torch light she tried to push herself upright and hissed at the pain jarring up her arm. Falling back she found herself cradled in the arms of the kitsune maid who had, only a few hours ago, lovingly brushed her hair.

Settled upon soft pillows and chided to keep still Kagome searched the room for her friend, the slayer.

“She’s with the monk” pulled her eyes to the only other occupant of the room. The tall dog demon himself.

The miko licked her lips trying to get her mouth and tongue to work, but her question was quickly answered, “she’s uninjured,” with an casual sweep of his hand sending the kitsune maid from the room.

Relieved the miko laid back against the pillows and watched the Western Lord. His golden eyes unmoving from her gaze. Long minutes passed as they watched each other. Kagome idly reflecting how the same color eyes could hold so much ice when fixed within Sesshoumaru’s face and so much heat within his brother’s.

With the briefest of nods the Western Lord turned toward the room’s door. Stopping only as Kagome reached her hand silently to him. Curious the dog demon moved to the side of her bed and arched a brow as she tried to speak.

“My fault” was the hoarse statement.

Silently he waited for the miko to continue, “I caused this… “ swallowing against the rawness of her throat she breathed, “let Sango and Miroku be together..” her eyes fell, “I’ll do whatever you want.”

Exhausted by her brief speech Kagome’s eyes fluttered closed as sleep over took her again. Silently watching the pale girl breathe shallowly her eyes sunken and dark with circles of fatigue, the Lord called Sesshoumaru smirked slightly and murmured, “finally” before leaving the girl to her dreams.

Shutting the panel behind him he looked across the hall at the half demon sitting facing the miko’s door. Head bowed, silver bangs hiding his eyes Inuyasha growled lowly, “how is she?” Silence met his question, until the hanyou raised his head, heated golden eyes meeting ice of the same shade.

“She’ll live” was the brief answer before Sesshoumaru turned and walked away. No longer witness to the anguish flooding the half demon’s gaze at the closed panel that kept the miko from him.

Sango, slept her fist gripping tight the monk’s bare hand as he sat quietly beside her. She had cried herself to sleep moments ago after hearing the miko would be okay. His other hand brushed silken strands of hair from her forehead, his heart finally peaceful at having her near him again.

The soft sound of a panel opening drew his irritated gaze as his eyes fell upon the wolf prince. “Kouga” the monk hissed his body tensing ready to fight if he came near his Sango.

Palm out facing the monk the wolf prince slid to the floor near the panel hissing as his back met the hard wood floor. Brow arched in pleased curiosity, the monk noted the bandages around the wolf’s middle, arms and legs.

“You should see the other guy,” was the wolf’s soft answer.

The monk’s brow disappeared into his hairline in question.

“Isamu,” was Kouga’s soft response.

Kouga watched the ear splitting grin flow across the monk’s face, and felt the smile leave his, “Kagome?”

The monk’s smile wavered, “she’ll live.”

Kouga’s head dropped to his chest with a deep sigh, his shoulder’s slumping with fatigue and relief. “It was one of the she-wolf’s from the southern tribe, a bodyguard, who trapped Kagome and the slayer in the wood. It was only the slayer that was to be hurt.”

Miroku tensed in anger, “it’s dead.”

“the half breed?”

Miroku aura flamed red, “does it matter? If it hadn’t been killed, Sango and Kagome would be lying dead right now!”

Kouga nodded at the validity of the monk’s words, “Isamu has been sent with the she-wolf to the southern pack. The delegation with Isamu were escorted off of the Western Lord’s domain a couple of hours ago. I thought you should know.” the wolf prince pushed himself upward and wavered slightly as he meet the sudden burst of joy in the monk’s eyes.

“…and Kagome?” the monk watched the wolf prince closely.

“Yet to be decided,” was the unsatisfying answer. Kouga turned and pushed open the panel, moving through the opening when the monk’s hiss arrested his forward movement.

“Kagome is in love with Inuyasha!”

At the wolf prince’s hesitation the monk’s expectation of a torrid reply was met with only the last of Kouga’s body moving through the door and soft shush of the panel’s closing.

“Miroku?”

The monk turned and gathered the slayer into his arms, “I love you” he whispered feverishly holding the slayer in a bruising hug against his body.

The slayer gasped and pulling back, found the monk’s lips in a passionate kiss.

Kouga moved down the hallway to where he knew Sesshoumaru waited. Moving within the room he faced the dog demon’s back and snarled, “it’s done.“

Sesshoumaru watched fingers of morning sunlight chase away the night, slowly irrevocably removing the taint of the darkness and wondered at the vagrancies of his species and those of the humans. Turning he faced the wolf prince, “I am awarding you the miko”

Shock filled Kouga’s expression.

“The official announcement will be at sunset, and until then this is to remain between the two of us.”

****************************

Writer’s Note: I promise the lightheartedness of previous chapters will at some point return.

xx