InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crossed Wires ❯ Prison and Confessions ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: This I found and fits perfectly my ownership rather lack there of, Inuyasha - “Having nothing, nothing can you lose”

What has puzzled us before seems less mysterious, and the crooked paths look straighter as we approach the end - Jean Paul Richter

Crossed Wires

Chapter 22 - Prisons and Confessions

Shippo sat huddled between the towering monk and half demon, the snarling warmth of Inuyasha’s breath uncomfortable close to the kit’s neck. “What do you mean Shippo?”

The kit peeked up to his right and then his left, then back down to his clasped paws, his voice low, “well I saw Kouga packing and watched him for awhile and he didn’t say much just kept muttering something about ‘not right’, ‘would be the right thing to do’ and stuff like that over and over so I went to see if I could find out anything from Ayami” the kit voice fell silent.

“And?” the hanyou was close the kit could feel the tingle under his skin from the nearness of the half demon’s fangs and then it was gone.

“Inuyasha you’re not going to get anything from Shippo frightening him like that.” the kit peeked from the corner of his eye to the monk but was not relieved by the words coming from the stern set of the monk‘s lips.

“She wasn’t there..” the kit murmured. “Her door was open it looked like she was gathering her belongings but she wasn’t there.”

The hanyou and monk looked at each other over the kit’s huddled form, “and that’s not all.”

The kit’s whispered voice snared their attention, “when I went back to Kouga, he was gone too.”

Inuyasha growled sharply and threw up his hands, “we don’t have time for this bouzo!”

Miroku contemplated the situation and turned to the half demon, “there’s only one last thing that can be done.”

It was the smell of mold, dirt and mustiness that pulled him from the darkness. He blinked his eyes and sitting up cradled the back of his head with his palm, “Kouga?”

The wolf demon winced at the pain as his head whipped around at the soft sound of his name, “Ayami?”

She nodded and moved close as she could to the demon, pulling his hand from the rather impressive goose egg on the back of his head. Relief flowed through her when she realized he wasn’t bleeding and she sat back her eyes moving over his face as he took stock of the room he was locked in.

Kouga stood unsteadily already feeling the pain growing weaker as his demon constitution began healing the knot on his head. His eyes moved over the dark room noting the tall bars of reaching from ceiling to floor, the door closed with what appeared to be a lock. Surprised he stared at Ayami through the bars, “why?”

Shocked the she wolf, pulled her arms back through the bars and scurried to rest back against the wall facing the wolf prince’s cage, “I didn’t do it Kouga.”

“Really?” he snarled, “then why are you on the outside while I’m locked in the cage, Ayami?” The angry wolf demon fisted the bars in his hands and glared at the female demon.

“I don’t know,” she answered quietly.

The wolf prince banged his hands against the bar and snarled at her, “right.”

The monk stood watching the half demon come to terms with what had to be done. He stood for a moment entertained by the dizzying array of emotions fleeting across the hanyou’s face until the daylight moved with rapid brightness across the room illuminating the sleeping kit.

“You don’t have anymore time to think about this Inuyasha,” the monk swept his staff through the strengthening rays of sunlight. “Today is the day.”

The hanyou sigh, he knew the monk was right, knew it had to be done but for the first time in a long time he was afraid, “you’re sure?”

The monk nodded and smiled at the hanyou, “as sure as I can be.”

Opening the door he pushed the hesitant hanyou in the hall, “go, it’s time.”

Nodding to himself the hanyou straightened, threw back his shoulders and began his long trek to the room where Kagome slept.

Sunlight filtered through the only window in the darkness that held the wolf prince and she wolf. She watched as the sun lit up streaks in his dark ponytail, and caressed his stark features as he prowled the cage walking the length of the bars then the walls trying to find a means of escape.

Kouga snarled after the tenth time of walking the cage’s inner length, “is this a trick Ayami, to keep me from mating with Kagome?”

The she wolf’s head dropped as she studied the pattern of light on the floor, “I’m locked in too, Kouga.” she tried to explain pushing away the hurt at his sneer of disbelief.

“Then why are you there and I’m here?” he snapped flames of fury dancing in his eyes.

Her head snapped up and met his snarl with one of her own, “I. Don’t. Know”

Inuyasha paused before the miko’s door, his hand turning the door knob gently before stepping into the room. His gaze flew around the room noting it’s lack of occupants before falling on the miko asleep within the bed. Dark hair flowed over white pillows as soft spreads pooled around her shoulders. Her open hand, fingers curled lay upon the pillow.

Unwilling to let the moment go, he sat beside the bed watching her sleep. Dark lashes rested on sleep brushed cheeks, her full bottom lip parted slightly as she breathed. His heart wretched within his chest as the sun continued it slow movement across the room. He was going to lose her unless he let himself reveal the truth of his feelings.

Reaching for her hand he lifted it tenderly and placed a kiss upon the open palm. “Kagome?”

Her lashes fluttered then parted to reveal sleep hazed eyes, “Inuyasha” she breath huskily.

“I love you, Kagome”

She smiled softly then nuzzled his hand, “..n love you, too.”

Before blinking at the sunlight reaching her closed eyes, “Inuyasha?” She sat up in bed the sheet dropping to her waist revealing the rosebud tips of nipples through the white silk of her gown

The half demon’s eyes fell to the lure before him, his tongue flicking up to wet his bottom lip. Following his gaze the miko blushed and pulled the sheet up, robbed of the vision his eyes raised hers as she whispered, voice low with urgency, “what are you doing here?”

“I love you,” his voice stronger now.

Kagome blinked and opened her mouth only to have it covered with the soft lips of the half demon. Her breath caught as her eyes fluttered shut her body melting as the half demon pressed her back onto the pillows.

****************************

Writer’s Note: I’m such a meanie…

xx