InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crossed Wires ❯ Love's Tears ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I know, I know you all want to beat me black and blue….

I dropped a tear in the ocean.
The day you find it, is the day I will stop loving you - unknown.

Crossed Wires

Chapter 24 - Love’s Tears

Kagome wrapped her arms around Sango and Miroku as they stepped from before the Western Lord with his blessing. She laughed as she cried, her heart filled with gladness for her two friends and equally as broken as the moment of the next ceremony, hers, approached.

Inuyasha stood behind his eyes never leaving her face as he leaned close and whispered, “Kagome, come with me.”

She turned and looked up at him her hands fisted within his haori, her eyes never leaving his face as her voice addressed the Western Lord, “My Lord Sesshoumaru may I have a moment to speak with my friends?”

Busily speaking with the wolf prince offering a parchment outlining their agreement he nodded without lifting his head.

The four travelers stepped from the paneled room and stood within the hallway. She turned smiling first at the newly wedded couple, “I am so happy for you” her eyes glistened with unshed tears as she hugged Sango again, then Miroku.

The monk held her shoulders for a long moment looking into her eyes, “Kagome…”

She placed her hand over his lips and smiled, “could you let me have a moment with Inuyasha?” The monk nodded and taking the slayer’s hand pulled her away from the couple standing their eyes locked upon one another.

She reached for him and found herself pulled hard against his chest, his head buried in her hair as he whispered against her ear, “you can’t mate him Kagome, you love me!”

She nodded her voice shaking, “I do, Inuyasha, I do love you. I love you more than my own life.”

“…and I love you” he snarled angrily, “this is a farce, it’s wrong, Kagome, you belong with me.”

Her head dropped against his chest wetting his haori with her tears, “until the day I die Inuyasha, I will love you. Only you.”

He jerked back and started down the hallway pulling her behind him, “fuck this!”

They didn’t make it far before a platoon of Sesshoumaru’s sentries stood before them. Inuyasha growled and pulled Tessaiga from it’s sheath it’s blade transforming as he met the soldiers head on.

“No!”

Kagome pulled on Inuyasha’s arm, “no, Inuyasha” she dropped her head on his back whispering so that only he could hear the words, “Sesshoumaru said he would kill you if I did not go along with his plan”

“I can take em” he snarled suddenly understanding her blind reason for not calling off the mating ceremony.

She shook her head slowly, her voice weary, “not all of them and Sesshoumaru too.”

The tip of his sword fell, transforming back to the unremarkable blade it was before its magic transformed. He stared at it for a long moment and then turned to the miko, “come on!”

Grabbing her arm he marched her back to the mating ceremony, pushing into the room, “Sesshoumaru!” the hanyou yelled.

Miroku held the sobbing slayer, his expression sad as he reflected the day of their wedding would be the anniversary of the day they lost Kagome. He rubbed his new wife’s back and wondered where the hanyou was when the panel slid open and the self same hanyou stalked in throwing the sheathed Tessaiga across the room.

Startled the monk and slayer jumped to their feet and faced the fuming half demon, “Inuyasha?”

“I offered him Tessaiga, I told him he could have it if he let Kagome go.” the hanyou fumed and paced his fist clenching.

At the silence the monk stepped forward, “what did he… “

“No,” the half demon’s head snapped up his eyes blazing “he said no.”

Tentatively the slayer stepped forward, “and Kagome?”

The monk and slayer watched as the half demon collapsed in upon himself, “the mating ceremony.”

“The Western Lord has thanked you for your time of visit but requests now that you all return to your homes” all three head swung toward the rough commanding voice of the head soldier as he stood within the paneled doorway, his platoon behind him.

“The ceremony?” the monk asked his heart thundering.

The leader stood in silence.

Despondent the half demon stood and without a word to the monk and slayer grabbed his sword and headed for the door. Behind him the slayer and monk, the tiny cat demon in tow gathered their belongings and followed the half demon their hearts filled with sorrow.

Sesshoumaru stood within the shadows lining his courtyard and watched his brother and his traveling companions leave the grounds of his estate. Coolly he watched the slumped shoulders of the hanyou and the sad expressions of the slayer and monk as they slipped within the tree line and vanished.

Beside him the human girl Rin looked up at him in silent question. He did not bother to look down as he spoke in answer, “I have watched these human emotions and do not trust them. Yet,” his voice grew quiet as he mused, “it holds such power.”

“Would you allow someone to take Rin from you?”

Surprised the Western Lord looked down at the tiny girl and laid the palm of his hand upon her head, “no.”

A brilliant smile flowed across her face and bled into her eyes. Nodding she turned and skipped back to play with the kit and perhaps cheer him up.

Sesshoumaru watched till she entered the castle then turned back to where his brother and his pack had disappeared. He watched long until night snuck across the courtyard and robbed the brightness of the day.

****************************

Wri ter’s Note: The final chapter up next.

xx