InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Tamer ❯ Chapter 1 - Devastation ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

He . . . had the voice of angel. Every time he opened his mouth, even to speak, people stopped and listened. It had been a gift, really. A blessing, some called it, but Sesshomaru had hated him for it. Really, really hated him for it. It hadn't been his fault that he'd been given a talent that no one else in his family possessed.

At first, Inuyasha had been proud of the fact that he had been blessed with such a wonderful and powerful voice. He loved to sing and people loved to hear him sing. It was something that he could brag about to anyone but hardly ever did. His father had taught him to be gracious and to not take it for granted. Still, he loved it when everyone stopped to listen to him. All he encountered loved him.
 
Everyone but Sesshomaru. The older boy always glared ice daggers at him whenever he tried to speak with his brother. It left him feeling confused and hurt. Why wouldn't Sesshomaru talk to him? He loved his brother and would do anything for him.

After a while, Inuyasha began to feel not so proud of his talent, despite the amount of attention he received from everyone else. His father told him not to despair, that Sesshomaru would come to love him, but the older boy continued to make their father a liar each time. He kept rebuffing Inuyasha's attempts at friendship. Then one day . . . he just wasn't there anymore. He told their father that he had left to find out how well he could do on his own. Sesshomaru had told him the same thing . . . only he finally confessed. He loathed Inuyasha, and wished he'd never been born. Because of his voice. It got Inuyasha whatever he wanted and he didn't even have to work for it. Sesshomaru had claimed it disgusted him. Just hearing Inuyasha's voice made him want to slit his own throat or cut off his ears. Anything to get the hanyou to leave him alone. With cold and numb fingers, the letter fell to the floor, silent tears rolling down Inuyasha's cheeks.

'He hates me.'

Inuyasha had stayed in his room all day, not even coming out for meals. He didn't want anyone to see him in that final breaking moment. Once his father had gone to bed, Inuyasha crept out of his room and into the bathroom. He'd decided. Finding his father's old-fashioned razor blade, Inuyasha took it to his wrists and his throat . . .