InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dancing with Scissors ❯ New Year's Eve ( Chapter 36 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
Naraku arrived at Hotel West Landen at the arranged time and scanned the lobby looking for Sesshoumaru. There were workers everywhere, milling about with a mixture of focus and confusion, putting the last touches on the space before the New Year's Eve bash. Even in the chaos, the tall, white-haired man wasn't difficult to spot.
 
That morning Kagura had called, hunger thick in her voice, to ask about the report and hint that he should give her a sampling of some of the dirt he had dredged up. The plan, as she envisioned it, was for Naraku to deliver the documents into her hands at the party, then seduce Kagome or, at least, get her away from Sesshoumaru and out of Kagura's way.
 
Naraku however had other intentions.
 
In the course of his investigation, he had followed Kagome on several occasions. She was a sexy little thing, and the prospect of getting her in bed certainly had its appeal, but the day before, he had seen Kagome and Sesshoumaru together and realized then that seduction would be impossible—the two of them were obviously in love. He doubted there was any information contained in his extensive report that would cause Sesshoumaru to feel differently toward her. Certainly there were juicy details, the very things that interested Kagura so much, but, after seeing the way Sesshoumaru smiled at Kagome across the street and put his arm around her when they met on the corner, he couldn't imagine Sesshoumaru caring about rumors and innuendo. It did give him an idea. A man in love is a man with a weakness…a weakness Naraku intended to exploit for his own gain.
 
“Thanks for meeting me,” he said. “I know this is a hectic day for you so I won't take up any more time than necessary.”
 
“Naraku,” Sesshoumaru said, “what's this about?”
 
“My sister, despite being the smartest woman I know, is still fooling herself into thinking you two are destined to be together.”
 
Sesshoumaru shook his head wearily. “I've done nothing to encourage—”
 
“Oh, I know. But this isn't really about her, per se.”
 
“What is it about then?” Sesshoumaru asked, cool and curious.
 
“Do you remember back in May, your father hired me to research the background of a certain Ms. Kagome Higurashi?”
 
“You were told your services were no longer necessary.”
 
Naraku chose his words with care. He sought a partnership of sorts and didn't want Sesshoumaru to think of him as an adversary. “A couple months ago, Kagura asked me to finish it. I'm not one to ignore fraternal duty and affection and she was very persuasive, so I did. I'd like to make you an offer. Instead of giving it to her, I'll sell it to you.”
 
Sesshoumaru's expression hardened. “I doubt there is anything you've discovered about Kagome or her past that I don't know about. And I don't care.”
 
“Did you know there was a domestic violence call made to her apartment in two thousand one and the cop on duty concluded that she was fucking your brother?” He noticed Sesshoumaru's lip curled involuntarily. Oh yes, Naraku knew exactly how to choose his words.
 
“Their relationship wasn't like that.”
 
Naraku smiled silkily. “Probably not…but do you really want my sister to have access to something like that? I've seen you and Kagome together and I'm not blind; you know you want to protect her. Even if you don't care about the conclusions of some cop, the accusation can still inflict a lot of damage. You may not believe it, but perhaps Ms. Higurashi would like to minimize the damage done to her reputation.”
 
“And why are you offering it to me? What happened to your brotherly love?”
 
Naraku sighed, purely to show he was above the petty drama that Kagura sought to cultivate. The hook was baited, and Sesshoumaru was listening. “You obviously aren't and won't ever be interested in my sister. For all her flaws, Kagura is still family, and I hate seeing her act so pathetic while she moons after you, possibly making a fool of herself tonight. And I can't stand playing a part in her game of self-delusion. To be honest though, the main reason I'm offering this to you is because I'm a businessman. I sell to the highest bidder and more important I prefer not to piss off the wrong people. While I shudder at the thought of crossing my sister, the way the poll numbers are trending, the arena referendum will pass and you will soon wield the most power and influence of any man in the state. I'd rather not make an enemy of the Great Sesshoumaru Taisho.” Naraku noted that Sesshoumaru was not yet biting, so he pulled his trump card. “I heard some noise that there was a journalist doing research on your late sister-in-law for a tabloid-type, lowest-common-denominator article or even a book. I would hate to have to shop this around when we could finish right here and now.”
 
Sesshoumaru sighed with irritation. The party was in six hours and he still had a lot to do before he could even think about getting ready. This was a distraction most inconvenient. Kagome was nervous about being accepted by his peers and would be mortified if her past was made public, especially in a way that would cause her embarrassment, something Kagura would ensure if she got possession of the report. He was planning to bring up the topic of their future when the madness of the party was over, and the last thing he wanted was for her to balk at her place in his life. Insulating her was paramount. Naraku was a shrewd player—he knew exactly how busy Sesshoumaru was and that he didn't have the time to bother with bargaining or threats. “Your price?”
 
“I think twenty-five thousand is fair. That amount is a pittance to you in the grand scheme and is large enough to make it worth incurring Kagura's wrath.”
 
“Do you have it here?”
 
“I can get it.”
 
“Have you shown it to Kagura?”
 
“No eyes other than my own have seen it. I couldn't do anything that would decrease its value after all.” Naraku tried to keep his smug satisfaction from reaching his voice; the plan had gone perfectly.
 
“I'll have the money transferred. Take it to the front desk and have it sent to my room. I, of course, want all the copies. And I know I needn't tell you what will happen if this information finds its way elsewhere.” He lowered his voice to a murderous whisper. “I'll have you buried.”
 
Naraku didn't doubt Sesshoumaru was serious. Somehow the tables had turned, and he wanted nothing more than to finish the deal and leave. “I may be an immoral bastard, a title I accept, but I have a reputation that I intend to protect as well. Once money exchanges hands, I exercise complete discretion.” Not to mention needing to keep secret the illegal acts he had to undertake in order to copy confidential legal documents, he thought.
 
Sesshoumaru didn't particularly trust Naraku, but he didn't want to take any chances that Kagome could be hurt. They were sharing a room at the hotel that night. He needed to make sure he destroyed or hid the report before she arrived.
 
XxXxX
 
Jak and Bank rapped on Kagome's front door and let themselves in. They stopped to greet the dog, then followed the loud sounds of Stevie Wonder, Kagome's current favored getting-ready-to-go-out music, to the rear of the house.
 
“Hey!” she called from the bathroom. “I'll be ready in a minute.”
 
“Take your time,” Bank said. “It's only quarter after—”
 
He was interrupted by Kagome as she flew past them, giving them each a brief kiss on the cheek, and went into the bedroom. She dabbed on perfume oil and checked her hair in the mirror. Flitting around her bedroom like a hummingbird, she slipped on a pair of strappy silver heels and filled a clutch handbag with necessities—lipstick, her phone, a packet of tissues, a tin of Altoids. She opened a jewelry box and rifled through the contents, humming an indistinct melody. The two men had known Kagome long enough to recognize that the speedy nonchalance in her routine was an act. Something was bothering her and she was trying her best to ignore it.
 
“How are you?” Bank asked. “And don't say fine. You're wound tighter than a closeted politician.”
 
Kagome straightened and turned toward them, but her attempted smile crash landed. “I'm so nervous I feel like puking.” She held different earrings up to her face with shaking hands. “Which earrings? I don't think I'm capable of decision making.”
 
Bank stepped forward and took an elaborately beaded pair of earrings from her hands and replaced them with simple pewter hoops. “This dress is gorgeous. Did you make it?”
 
“No,” she said, far more loudly than necessary. “I bought it. At a goddam store.”
 
As she put in the hoops, Bank noticed Kagome had removed all the small wire circles and studs from the piercings that usually adorned the edges of her ears. “Is this just general nervousness, Kagome, or do you want to talk about it?”
 
She exhaled, long and ragged, and flopped back on her bed. With horror she remembered she had spent an hour on her hair and quickly sat up. “This is about the fact that tonight is the first time Sesshoumaru and I will be seen in public as a couple. I…overheard some things that people are saying about me yesterday. Part of me wants to tell high society to fuck off and part of me craves their approval. I feel like I'm in high school again. I'm afraid of what people will think. I'm afraid of violating some unwritten rule of how important people behave.”
 
“Shit, Kagome,” Jak said. “You're not meeting the queen for fucksake. This is a New Year's Eve Party. Everyone there is going to be wasted.” He sat on the bed next to her and gave her an encouraging hug. “You look amazing. Your homemade dress is killer and anyone who says otherwise is a liar. Those important people will be blown away by your skills and your fierce self. Sesshoumaru likes you for you. He'll be proud to have you with him, so enough with the insecurities.”
 
“You're right. You'rerightyou'rerightyou'reright.” She stood and stretched, much more successful in smiling convincingly. She just wished she wouldn't have to see Kagura. Something about that woman made Kagome's confidence level collapse on itself, like a building imploding, one painful brick at a time.
 
“Of course I am. How about some liquid bravery? Want to do a shot before we leave?”
 
Kagome laughed, already at ease. “Sounds like the perfect medicine. Whiskey? A client gave me a bottle of Glenfiddich 30 for Christmas.” She grabbed their arms and led them out of the room.
 
“Miroku and Sango came over for breakfast today,” Jak said as they went into the kitchen. “I have to admit I was pretty shocked when they asked me if I'd consider babysitting their offspring. I don't exactly give off a good with kids vibe, but apparently your recommendation goes a long way.”
 
“You were great with Rin all those times you babysat,” Kagome said. “I thought you might like the extra cash.” She pulled a bottle from the liquor cabinet as Bank took out three shot glasses.
 
“Oh, extra income is always welcome. I just feel like a fraud, like someone wants me to handle something dangerous, but I don't have the right license.”
 
“Why? All you need to take care of kids is common sense and kindness. I know you think you are the patron saint of the misanthropes, but Jak, you're one of the best people I know.”
 
“Stop it,” he scolded. “You're going to make me cry. You're a great friend, Kagome.”
 
“To friendship,” Bank said. “And despite the fact that this year brought tragedy, I think it's going out on a high note. To the future.” They raised the glasses up to toast and drank.
 
“Thanks, you guys. I needed that. All of it.” Kagome grabbed her coat and said goodbye to Oberon, offering assurances that the Taishos would bring him to the big house when they got home and she would see him in the morning. “You both look super sexy, by the way,” she said as they walked to Bank's car. “I don't think I've ever seen Jak in a tux before.”
 
“He does look damn fine, doesn't he,” Bank said, patting Jak's ass. “He looks even better out of his tux.”
 
“I'm the one who is supposed to make the inappropriate, sexually charged remarks,” Jak tutted. “Kagome…if you let us borrow your boyfriend for a night, we'll let you watch.”
 
Kagome threw back her head and laughed at the cold, bracing air. “Let's go to the party.”
 
XxXxX
 
Sesshoumaru had a deep level of personal satisfaction as he assessed the crowd in the largest ballroom of the new hotel. For weeks he had worked nearly nonstop to get the venue ready to open and host this party. It was a strategic gamble—if anything had happened to jeopardize the success of the night, it could mean an embarrassing defeat for the arena referendum. But his diligence and planning had paid off. The public party was heavily attended, full of revelers off and on the dance floor, enjoying the music of a DJ Kagome had recommended. Lines at restrooms and beverage vendors were short; security was present, but not obtrusive; the local media coverage was thorough. He couldn't have hoped for a better turnout and reception.
 
Content, he rode the elevator back up to the private party. When he left, his parents had arrived and taken over duties of welcoming the guests. They had Rin in tow and she was, predictably, the belle of the ball. He knew his father was more than capable of managing the ritualized pressing of hands and requisite small talk, but he was ready to join them and present the Taisho family as a united whole. The marketing savvy part of him was aware of the photo ops, images of them that would grace the pages of the business and social sections of the newspaper for the next few days. A larger, more important part of him enjoyed the thought of them together again. The close family he had always wanted. Only one person was missing…and she should be there soon.
 
“Uncle Sesshoumaru!” Rin ran across the room when she saw him and jumped into his arms. “You came back.”
 
“I told you I was only going to be gone for a little while,” he said, hoisting her up. His parents and Rin had returned from their vacation late afternoon the day before, but he only had had time to eat dinner with them before going back to work. Before she allowed him to leave, Rin had extracted a multitude of promises that he would be less busy and available to her soon. He looked forward to enjoying her post-trip clinginess and affection. “Is your aunt here yet?”
 
Rin nodded. “She's with Bank and Jak. They just got here.” She leaned in close and whispered in his ear. “Kagome looks really pretty. Even grandfather said so.”
 
Sesshoumaru looked toward the bar and spotted her. Pretty didn't even begin to do her justice—she was stunning. Her hair was up, in a style similar to the ringlet curls she had given Rin, but hers had been teased and threaded with what looked like tiny pearl beads, giving an air of sophistication to the curls that cascaded around her shoulders. Her dress was deep, lustrous grey, with a contrasting embellishment sewn on the tight bodice that tapered to the low dropped waist and flared at the swell of her hips. The skirt was long, swirling loosely and accentuating her tall, slim body. He finally understood what had kept her studio off-limits the past two nights. What drew his attention however was her face. Her skin was clear and radiant; her eyes sparkled with laughter. She had that endearing Kagome-combination of shining happiness and a touch of awkward self-consciousness.
 
As if she could feel the longing in the heat of his gaze, she turned and saw him holding Rin. She said something to the two men she was with, then glided over.
 
“You clean up well,” he said, causing Rin to roll her eyes at the understatement.
 
“Thanks.” The smile on her face reflected the joy in her voice and subtle glittering in her hair. “You…don't look so bad yourself.” Kagome had seen Sesshoumaru in a tux before, though only in pictures. He looked like the universe had invented that particular piece of men's formal wear specifically to be worn by him. She couldn't wait to get off him.
 
The simmering lust in Kagome's expression telegraphed her intentions, despite their very public location and the presence of Rin. He chuckled softly and shook his head. “Rin assured me earlier that she had an adequate nap today and she would have no problems staying awake until midnight.” Conversation was best kept at a neutral, non-pornographic level.
 
Kagome snorted, lust not extinguished but cooled. She made a deal with Rin that she could help ring in the New Year only if she took a long, rare mid-day nap. Fortunately the Taishos had indulged her wishes to stay up past her bedtime while on vacation and, combined with the flight home, her messed-up sleep schedule ensured that she crashed hard that afternoon. “Stay up all night, sleep all day…little rock star. Just like your Daddy.” Kagome affectionately pinched Rin's round cheek, making her giggle and squirm.
 
“Sounds like someone else I know.”
 
“That's only when I have work,” Kagome laughed. “And I haven't slept in in months.”
 
Rin was excited with the prospect of doing such a grown-up thing as celebrating New Year's Eve until midnight. The year before, she remembered, she was told Happy New Year, Baby! It's the first of January. Let's let your Daddy and Kagome sleep for a bit and we'll light a candle and tell each other our hopes for this year as her mother woke her up for breakfast. She was seized by a sudden constriction of Missing. Missing her Mommy and Daddy. It felt like something was squeezing her across the middle and tightening her throat. “Please can I stay at the hotel with you guys?”
 
“No, sweetie,” Kagome said, gently stroking Rin's hair. She recognized the veil of sadness that shadowed the small face. The look of an orphan, one she had personal knowledge of. “Some other night the three of us will stay at a hotel, but not tonight. I think we'll stick with the plan of you going home with your grandparents after midnight. This party will go on for a while, and there is no way I'm letting you be up that late. We are here together now. That's the important thing.” Kagome was relieved that Rin didn't protest further. She missed her niece and was thrilled that the girl was able to attend the party, especially after their separation, but out late on New Year's Eve was no place for a child, and she had plans for after that didn't accommodate a third, sleepy, cuddly individual.
 
“Rin,” Sesshoumaru said, “we'll do something together tomorrow afternoon. I don't have to work, and I want to see all the treasures you brought home from Florida.” She seemed satisfied and he bent to put her down. “Now go to your grandparents. We'll be along in a minute.”
 
Rin kissed him and scampered off. Sesshoumaru reached into a pocket and pressed a keycard into Kagome's palm. “Room 701. Your overnight bag is already up there. There are some people I'd like to introduce you to now though. Political and business acquaintances mainly, but I do have a few friends that I'd like you to meet as well.”
 
Kagome blanched and nodded. His parents had already introduced her to the mayor, and though she felt she handled herself well, with no noticeable faux pas, she was a tad overwhelmed.
 
“I need to warn you…it won't take long for conversation to turn to matters of business investments and the market. I won't mind at all if you would prefer to spend your time with your friends. I'll be tied up with obligations until nearly midnight, and I'd rather you enjoy yourself than be bored putting up with me and my responsibilities as host.”
 
Kagome relaxed immediately. Hello, good to meet you she could do. Nodding and feigning interest in topics she found tedious…not so much. “Thanks. I wouldn't mind taking Rin down to the big, public party to dance with the other commoners.”
 
He laughed. “Make sure you are both down there and on the stage at 11:50 for the countdown to midnight.”
 
Kagome had a thought regarding certain customary behaviors at midnight on New Year's Eve and bit her bottom lip. “Can I ask you something?” she asked.
 
“Of course.”
 
“Are we going to kiss?” She blushed and felt like a middle schooler. “Well…I…would understand completely if you don't want to do a public display of affection. If you don't want people to get the wrong idea. Not that it's wrong…you know…if you—”
 
Her babbling was cut short by a firm kiss. “Does that answer your question?” It was a kiss that left no room for interpretation.
 
Kagome became aware of a very loud silence around them. She could almost feel the gravity and weight of the staring eyes and unspoken words. Sesshoumaru appeared unconcerned with anything and anyone other than her. It was nice, she had to admit, though she would have preferred to be alone and naked with him and his smoldering eyes. “Loud and clear.”
 
“Good. Ah…there's the Lieutenant Governor and his wife. I need to play host with my parents. Come with me.”
 
As they walked across the room, Kagome put the keycard in her clutch. Sesshoumaru realized he still hadn't gotten a chance to go up to the room and deal with Naraku's report. It hadn't been there when he was getting changed into his tuxedo, but surely it had been delivered by now. He hoped he would get ten minutes to go take care of it before he and Kagome retired to their room. He figured he had until sometime after midnight.
 
XxXxX
 
Kagura's smile exuded confidence and charm. A sparkling white and glossy red badge of privilege. She was born to this life, and this life had its benefits, at the moment surrounded by fawning admirers attending the most exclusive party of the year. To everyone around her, she was pleased with the situation.
 
Inwardly however, she fumed.
 
She had thought everything would go perfectly. Naraku would give her the damning evidence, and she in turn would present it as a gift to Sesshoumaru, who would then realize that the skinny bitch was trash and that she, Kagura, was the only woman worthy of him. It wasn't a complicated scenario.
 
She was so convinced of her own superiority, she couldn't imagine it not unfolding without a hitch.
 
Of course she hadn't imagined that her brother would betray her.
 
She wasn't exactly surprised—Naraku was a complete bastard after all. But he refused to give her even a single detail, just a tidbit that she could use to malign Kagome, and, insult to injury, told her he was motivated by her well being. I'm doing you a favor. Letting you have this would be a rope to hang yourself. Sesshoumaru is not into you and the report won't make any difference. I'm keeping you from looking like a desperate idiot in front of everyone. His false concern was unpalatable, and she would make certain he regretted his disloyalty.
 
Kagura had been nurturing her crush on Sesshoumaru for years, sparked when they were mere teens and kept alive during years apart and his continued aloofness, kindled by a few dates and their mothers' romantic notions. She had let her crush live on pure fantasy and stubbornness, and she was not about to admit defeat. She may no longer have the nuclear weapon of the report in her hands and was therefore unable to control the timing, but, according to her brother, Sesshoumaru was still going to see it. She could still do something to debase the Higurashi woman.
 
The best option, she knew, was the rumor mill. Most of the people in the suite had been at the beach or skiing the past two weeks. The Caribbean and Aspen were voids of local society gossip, and the need to learn what had transpired in their absence, fueled by copious amounts of alcohol, was a convenient tool. If Sesshoumaru was not the one to be manipulated, she could turn to the weaker link. Kagome.
 
Kagura surveyed the scene and saw the perfect vector—a chattering buxom blonde and her equally empty-headed friends. Bethany Faircloth had been linked to Sesshoumaru romantically that summer. Nothing came of it after only one date, but Kagura knew the woman was an easy cog in the jealousy machine. She made her way to where Beth was drinking champagne with her friends.
 
Air-kisses exchanged, the women were thankful to have another participant in their game of speculation. “Kagura,” Bethany said, “who is that woman with Sesshoumaru? She looks familiar, but I can't place her. Trina told me he kissed her. Here. On the mouth. I thought he was dating you.”
 
Kagura couldn't have asked for a better opening. “Let me tell you what I heard about her.”
 
XxXxX
 
Bethany looked across the room and sighed. There she was, the poor, parentless child, sweet and safe in her grandfather's arms. Nothing that Kagura told her was surprising. Everyone knew of the Taisho's charitable generosity. The girl, of course, was family, but the fact that they took in the aunt, who was apparently destitute and mentally unsound with promiscuous skeletons in her closet, only reinforced their altruism. When she expressed concern that Sesshoumaru had developed romantic attachments to someone so beneath his stature, Kagura laughed and assured her that Sesshoumaru would never seriously connect himself to such a person, adding in a low voice that, knowing his ruthlessness in the business and real estate worlds, most likely meant he was using the woman to gain a foothold with the niece in order to eventually seek guardianship.
 
Bethany didn't consider herself someone who aired others' dirty laundry, which showed how little self-awareness the woman possessed. She saw her brother and his girlfriend at the bar and couldn't hurry over quickly enough, gossip burning a hole in her tongue.
 
XxXxX
 
“Rose, darling.”
 
Mrs. Taisho turned to see one of her acquaintances from the country club join her and her friends. “Celia,” she said, “Happy New Year. I'm so happy you were able to make it.”
 
“Of course.” The women embraced. “I just heard the news. You and Mai must be so pleased that Sesshoumaru and Kagura are finally getting serious.”
 
Mrs. Taisho shook her head. The party was successful and she was enjoying herself, but this rumor troubled her. It was the second time in ten minutes that one of her friends had said something similar. “I'll admit that at one time that was indeed hoped for, but not anymore. He's seeing Kagome Higurashi. And I'm very happy for them.”
 
“Oh? I was under the impression that she was penniless and had some…issues.” The guest waved her hand indistinctly.
 
“Good heavens, no,” Rose said. “She's a wonderful woman and well on her way to a becoming an established artist.”
 
“Celia,” one of the other friends said, “she's the one who did the new holiday wall hanging in my foyer. The abstract holly piece that you were admiring yesterday.”
 
She did that?” Celia shrugged. “I just heard Caryn saying that the only reason your family is putting up with her is for the sake of your dear granddaughter. And that Kagura and Sesshoumaru—”
 
“No,” Mrs. Taisho interrupted firmly. “I don't know how or why there is a mistaken idea about the arrangement Kagome has with us, but I can assure you that she has been a delightful addition to the family and is doing us a favor by living on our property. She has been incredibly helpful in coming to terms with the loss of our younger son. I can honestly say she has brought about nothing short of a miracle for my family.” She saw her husband nearby. “I'm sorry. Please excuse me a moment. Ken is currently unoccupied, and I need to speak with him.”
 
She pulled Mr. Taisho aside. “Ken, have you seen Kagome and Rin lately?”
 
“They went down to dance an hour or so ago.” He gave his wife an affectionate hug. “I overheard someone saying the strangest things. Apparently Kagome is taking advantage of our hospitality, is unfit to care for Rin, and is forcing herself on Sesshoumaru,” he said, chuckling. “Have you ever heard anything so absurd?”
 
“I hope you corrected them.” Rose didn't share the humor in the situation, despite the ridiculousness; she was too familiar with the damage gossip could do.
 
Mr. Taisho, thoroughly chastised, nodded.
 
“It appears the grapevine has gotten hold of some falsehoods. I plan to nip this in the bud. Completely unacceptable that people, our friends, believe slander like that.” She kissed her husband's cheek and subtly wiped off lipstick. “Perhaps you should speak with Sesshoumaru. I think he would like to know what is being said.”
 
XxXxX
 
Kagome, Rin, and Sango waited for the packed elevator to empty before exiting. Kagome and her friends had been downstairs at the public gathering, loving the music and manic celebration. Dozens of people they knew were there, all in various stages of drunken partying. She was having a ball, but as it got later and rowdier, she wanted to return Rin to the more sedate atmosphere of the private party. She thought after the swelling crowd and loud music that the suite would be a welcome refuge where she could carry on a conversation and spend a few minutes with Sesshoumaru.
 
“Where are they?” Rin demanded, anxious to show her grandparents and uncle her kitschy New Year's Eve tiara and noisemakers.
 
“Over there, Rin Rin.” Kagome pointed to a large table across the room where Mr. and Mrs. Taisho were seated. “I'll be there in a few minutes.” She watched Rin to make sure she made it to her destination.
 
“Hey girls,” Jak called, waving nearby. He and Bank, attracted by the open bar and free food, had come back up earlier. “Just eighty-seven minutes left of this year.”
 
“Damn. Were we down there that long?” Kagome scanned the crowd and saw Sesshoumaru, talking with a group of state senators. “Sango, is it my imagination, or were people staring at me in the elevator?”
 
Sango had a rule of never encouraging Kagome's insecurities, but this time she didn't think her friend was being paranoid. “Maybe. Don't pay any attention though.”
 
“They were probably just curious about Sesshoumaru Taisho's new significant other,” Bank said quickly.
 
“It's wasn't quite curiosity…more like…disgust and pity.”
 
Bank and Jak exchanged glances. They had heard the rumors. “We're going to the bar,” Jak said. “Want a drink?”
 
“God yes. I need one. Whiskey and diet.”
 
“Club soda with lime.”
 
Kagome couldn't shake the feeling that she was on display and that heads were turning to stare at her. “I guess I was expecting this. Do I still look okay? No lipstick on my teeth? No boogers?”
 
“You look fabulous,” Sango said. “Just relax and enjoy yourself, honey.”
 
Kagome raised a brow and smiled rakishly. “I suppose I should take advantage of the attention and try to drum up some clients. Mrs. Taisho's friends who hired me have given glowing recommendations and they all want to commission more work.”
 
“That's the spirit,” Sango said. “Oh no!” She spotted her visibly irritated husband talking with a man in a corner. “Miroku is talking to a lawyer he absolutely loathes. I'm going to go rescue him. Be right back.”
 
XxXxX
 
Kagura was content to let gossip move as gossip moves—the more people who grab hold of a story and pass it along, the more tabloid, the more shocking it tends to become. As long as she was not seen as the instigator, she was fine. She told Bethany and her friends, all clearly jealous of the interloper, that she and Sesshoumaru had been dining together regularly and fed them a few other lies and half-truths, just enough of the right building blocks for them to construct a fabulous, scandalous story. And as she chatted with fellow party-goers and learned what was being said, she was not disappointed. There was even speculation about when she and Sesshoumaru would announce their wedding date and how quickly Kagura would ship Rin off to boarding school. She, of course, made sure to artfully deny an imminent engagement; she had to preserve the belief in Mrs. Taisho, who was staunchly defending Kagome's character, that she was not the source of the rumors.
 
Making her way back from the powder room, she felt like she had been handed a late-Christmas present—Kagome was standing a few feet away, alone. She pounced. “Hello, Kagome.”
 
“Hi, Kagura. Nice to see you. Happy New Year.”
 
“Your dress is spectacular,” Kagura purred. “When you mentioned that you were making it, I didn't realize it would look like a real gown.” She laughed lightly. “This isn't at all what I was picturing. I had no idea you were so talented.” Kagura was capable of ass-kissing flattery when it suited her. Or at least, her version of it.
 
“Thanks,” Kagome said, not wanting to know what Kagura had had in mind. She didn't know whether she was being insulted or complimented.
 
“Kagome,” she said. “I need to speak with you. Friend to friend. I never contribute to gossip, but I thought you'd want to know about the rumors circulating. I've tried to keep them from spreading. I've told people that you are actually a very sweet girl and completely harmless.”
 
Kagome despised the creepy condescension and feigned sincerity in Kagura's voice. “I don't know what you're talking about.”
 
Kagura sighed. “My brother was hired to investigate you. I don't know any specifics, but I believe some of the information he learned is less than favorable. I know you care about the Taisho family and your niece. At least until the arena referendum is passed, don't you think you should distance yourself from them? Ken and Rose have been so generous to you. I'm sure you don't want to make them look like fools.”
 
Kagome tried to hold her temper in check by digging her nails into the palms of her hands. “I care about the Taishos very much,” she said through clenched teeth. “They are my best friend's parents and my niece's grandparents. I wouldn't do anything to hurt them.” The last thing she wanted was a confrontation, but she wasn't going to let Kagura intimidate her anymore. “Why do I think this sudden fake friend thing has more to do with the fact that Sesshoumaru and I are together? The Taishos have accepted me. Get over it. And anything that your cretin of a brother finds out about me is either something I'm not ashamed of or a bold-face fucking lie. I doubt the Taishos and Sesshoumaru care about other people's mistaken beliefs, other than to correct them.”
 
Kagura stared at her with cold, flat hatred in her eyes. So the girl had a spine…but that didn't mean she wasn't finished. “You go ahead and tell yourself that. Don't say I didn't warn you when you find yourself used up and spit out. If Sesshoumaru is actually interested in you, which by the way I find difficult to believe, he'll tire of you before too long. The cute, quirky image you like will grow old and stale. Then what? Real men want real women. Not a waifish artsy girl who can't afford to buy her own clothes.”
 
Kagura spun and left before Kagome had an opportunity to get in a farewell Fuck You.
 
“Hey babe, here's your drink,” Jak said. “Are you okay? You look a little flushed.”
 
Kagome took her drink and downed it in two gulps. She breathed deeply and as the liquor calmed her anger, it was replaced by hot, devious doubt. “I don't know. Apparently there is a bunch of bullshit being told about me.”
 
“Kagome,” Bank said, “it's not that bad, just a few people blabbing. Mrs. Taisho is telling everyone how awesome you are and that you have their support.”
 
Sango and Miroku joined them a moment later. “Did I just see you tell Kagura off?” Miroku asked. “I only see that look on her face when someone crosses her in the courtroom.”
 
“I think that journalist asswipe hired Naraku to dig up shit about me.” Kagome's panic level began to increase when she realized that her worst fears may be coming true. “Sango, what if Naraku figured out somehow about Scarlet? What if people find out about my column?” The pitch of her voice was starting to rise.
 
Sango took the ice-filled glass from Kagome's hand and forced her to look at her. “First, no freaking out. Stay calm. How many people know about Scarlet? Only a few, and none of us would say a word.”
 
“I know but…in the information age, it doesn't take someone slipping up. He could hack into the paper's computer system. He could—”
 
“Kagome, I've read everything you've ever written. Even if that happened, and you shouldn't assume it did, you should try not to worry. You give sound, thoughtful advice. Yes, it can be racy…perverted,” Sango added for the sake of veracity, “but there's nothing you need to regret. It's by far the most popular thing in The Missing Link; you should be proud of it.”
 
The two women realized Miroku, Bank, and Jak were staring, mouths gaping.
 
“Wait…what?” Miroku said.
 
“You're Scarlet?” Bank echoed.
 
“Yes, I'm Scarlet,” Kagome said, irritated that they were focused on her secret identity and not the fact that someone had potentially violated her privacy. “And you all are idiots for not realizing it.” She leveled her gaze at Jak. “You especially. How many times have I asked you some sex-related question, wanting a gay man's perspective, only to have a nearly identical issue appear in the column the following week?” She shook her head. “You three won't mention this to anyone else.”
 
“Of course not, Kagome,” Bank said, recovering first. “You know you can trust us.”
 
“Listen…I'm getting a headache. I've got ibuprofen in my overnight bag. I'll be back in a little while.”
 
“Do you want me to go up with you?” Sango asked.
 
“No. I'm okay.” She fed on the confidence boost she had gotten from standing up to Kagura. “I can't rely on you guys forever. I'll be back soon.”
 
Kagome steeled herself and took the stairs to the seventh floor and went into room 701. There was only a single lamp on, but even in the dim light she could tell the room was spacious and well furnished. The curtains had been left open, showing a gorgeous view of the courtyard sculpture garden. Her bag was lying on the bed, but what drew her attention was a thick folder and CD-ROM on the desk. Her heart hammered as she picked it up and opened to the first page. It was an invoice.
 
Payment of $25,000 received, 3:00 pm, 31 December 2007
 
The second page was an overview of the contents. Three things jumped out and rattled her bones.
 
State v. Harrison, defense documentation, witness statements, trial transcript pp 12-793
 
Police report, domestic dispute, 300 block of Mercymore Avenue, 15 September 2001; interview with Officer Dale Fischer, 1 October 2007 pp 794-797
 
Interview with Mason Harrison, 7 November 2007 pg 822
 
The journalist she thought had been investigating her was a mistake. It had been Naraku from the beginning, apparently at the behest of Sesshoumaru. Kagome felt like the floor beneath her gave out and she was left alone, to spiral down.
 
XxXxX
 
“Sesshoumaru, may I have a word?” Ken Taisho found his son having a heated exchange with a recalcitrant member of the city council, but he decided an interruption was warranted. They stepped into a quiet corner. “Your mother and I naturally expected there would be gossip making the rounds tonight about you and Kagome. Unfortunately much of it has to do with some mistaken impressions of Kagome and your relationship. Your mother is speaking with everyone she meets to contradict the falsehoods, but we both thought you should know.”
 
“That explains whispers about Kagome and the inexplicable congratulations I've received on my engagement to Kagura. We've had a handful of business lunches together.” Sesshoumaru shook his head, wondering if Naraku had broken his word or if people were simply running away with the collective, elitist imagination. “This is out of control. Is Kagome back?” He wondered how much she had heard and the damage done.
 
“Rin is with your mother, and she said Kagome came up with her, but I haven't seen her since nine thirty.”
 
“I'm going to find her. It's quarter after eleven. We'll meet you downstairs in a half an hour for the countdown.”
 
Bank, Jak, Sango, and Miroku were sitting at a table in the other room; Kagome wasn't with them. As he walked toward them, Kagura appeared in front of him, wearing a wide, predatory grin.
 
“Alone at last?”
 
He grasped her upper arms and moved her out of his path. “Kagura, I respect you as a friend of the family and an employee of the corporation. I have nothing else to say to you, other than stay out of my personal life and if you ever utter another unkind word to or about Kagome you'll find yourself out of a job and ostracized from society.”
 
He ignored her stuttering protests of innocence and swiftly walked to the table. There was no time for courtesy. “Do you know where Kagome is? I've been tied up playing host and didn't realize that people I thought were friends are vipers in disguise.”
 
The group at the table understood he had heard some of the rumors and was clearly irritated. “She went up to your room,” Sango said. “Ibuprofen mission. She should have been back by now though.”
 
Sesshoumaru had a crippling sense of dread. Naraku's report was most likely sitting in an obvious place in room 701. “Shit.”
 
XxXxX
 
Kagome was sitting on the bed, surrounded by papers. She didn't look up at Sesshoumaru when he entered the room. “You paid for this?”
 
“Kagome, it's not what you think.”
 
She met his eyes. Hers were full of sadness and disappointment. “I don't know what I think. Here's a sample of what I've been reading.” She picked up a sheet. “This is Naraku's summary of the defense at the trial of the man who tried to kill me. `The defense wanted to paint a picture of Mason Harrison as the true victim. Good, clean-cut boy seduced by Kagome Higurashi, who they intended to show dominated him sexually and coerced him into a deviant lifestyle. The night in question was an unfortunate event of consensual sexual sadism that had gotten out of control. This line of defense was not allowed, and I wonder how successful it would have been. The photographs that they said were Higurashi at bondage parties dressed in black leather were actually her twin sister. She called the cops several times to report that he was harassing her. And though the interviews of her previous sexual partners indicate she was kinky, none said she was very interested in BDSM. But given that she was no virginal angel, had they been able to sit a jury with a few slut shamers on it, there would have been a decent chance that he would have gotten a divided jury.'”
 
She traded it for another. “Here's the police report from the night of my suicide attempt. It says, `the two parties indicate the confrontation was overblown and both had calmed down.' No arrests. However, there's an interview with that cop, dated October of this year. `Officer Fischer,'” she read, “'reveals that the police report left out information. They had both been upset. The male, Inuyasha Taisho, had hastily bandaged hands and visible blood on his shirt. The female, whose name is not remembered but he was told was the sister of Taisho's wife, was crying and apologizing repeatedly. Neither cooperated with questioning. There was a bloody knife in the sink. The male victim asked that Officer Fischer leave the woman alone, that she had been through a lot and she would be okay. Officer Fischer does not acknowledge that he was influenced by the last name of the victim, but I suspect the only reason that Kagome Higurashi wasn't arrested for assault or taken to a psychiatric ward was because a Taisho told him to leave them be. He strongly implies that he believed they were involved in some sort of torrid affair behind the wife/sister's back, and I got him to admit that he knew how powerful the Taisho's were and that arresting either would mean opening a can of political worms that, as a rookie cop, he wanted nothing to do with.'”
 
Kagome began to gather up the papers, still avoiding looking at him. “What should I think? I told you about the things that had happened to me. Did you think I was leaving something out? Did you think I was lying?”
 
“No, Kagome. Of course not.”
 
“Then why? Why did you hire him to write this?”
 
“I didn't. I wouldn't. I haven't even seen it until now. And I meant to get rid of it before you came up here.”
 
“Oh…you were just going to hide it from me?” she asked harshly. “Don't you think I have a right to know that it exists?”
 
“Kagome, I'm sorry. May I sit?”
 
Kagome hesitated. The spiny fingers of betrayal, which had threatened to choke her while she was reading, still clutched tightly. “Go ahead,” she said, not moving to make room for him.
 
“Are you okay?”
 
She looked at him incredulously. “Is that a serious question? No, I'm not okay. Why do you have this? Why is this in our room?”
 
“Naraku came to see me today. He said Kagura asked him to continue the investigation of you he started earlier this year. When he realized he could make some money, he offered to sell it to me instead. He said there was some potentially unsavory content, and I thought it would be better if it were in my possession rather than Kagura's. So I agreed and asked him to have it delivered here. I didn't mean for you to see it. At least not tonight.”
 
The cruel fingers began to ease their grip. Her world made sense again. “Are there other copies?”
 
“I don't think so.”
 
“You trust him?”
 
“Not really, but I didn't see that I had much choice. I wanted to protect you from embarrassment.”
 
“Sesshoumaru…you can't fight my battles for me.” She picked up a paper. “Twenty-five thousand dollars. Fuck.” She glared at the report, deep in thought. After a long moment, she looked at him with a determined glint in her eyes. “I can pay you back half of it now. I have about that much in savings. I can have the rest paid off by this time next year.”
 
“Kagome, I'm not taking your money.”
 
“I can't let this be, Sesshoumaru. I can't be obligated to you like this.”
 
“You're not obligated. It doesn't matter.”
 
“It does. It matters a lot. I'm not…mad at you…but this is too much.”
 
He knew it was more than just pride; her self-respect, their equality were on the line. He understood, but he was still not going to let her pay him. “It's not, considering it was at my family's request that he started digging up dirt on you in the first place. Think of this as making things right for what we put you through this spring. Or at least a gesture. Trying to take Rin away from you was inexcusable.”
 
He moved closer to her, and she let him draw her close.
 
“The funny thing is,” she said, “I don't even think this report is that bad. There aren't any mentions of my suicide attempt and depression or that I write an anonymous sex-advice column. That was my real fear. That my history and sexuality would be open for public scrutiny. But, other than my college transcripts, a rather thorough list of past clients, and the few speeding tickets I've had, it's mostly just a lot of bullshit. Inuyasha and I would never have betrayed Kikyou, even if we hadn't regarded each other as siblings. And given the amount of evidence presented at the trial, only a repressed misogynist would believe the story that I was some sex-crazed femme fatale.” She paused, thinking of the bullet she dodged. “Of course, I'm still glad that I have it and not Kagura.”
 
“I'm sorry it happened this way,” Sesshoumaru said. “I didn't want this kind of drama to ruin the night. But I'm glad to know that your past is still private and your secret is still safe.”
 
“Yeah…but apparently Kagura was busy anyway.” Her voice took on a hard edge. “I heard that I was grist for the rumor mill tonight, despite you spending twenty-five thousand fucking dollars to keep things quiet.”
 
“Don't worry about what people say. My parents are in damage control mode.”
 
“Damage control. The words make it sound like you are ashamed of me. Kagura told me I should separate myself from your family for the sake of the arena vote. That I reflect badly on you.”
 
“Nothing could be further from the truth. Think of us as a united front, defending a family member. Because that's what you are.” He paused, then reached into a pocket and pulled out a small, hinged box. Though not an impulsive person, he couldn't wait any longer. It felt right. “Kagome, I really didn't want to do it like this. I've been carrying this around for the past two days, waiting for the perfect opportunity…” He took her hand and pressed the box into it. “Will you marry me?”
 
The blood drained from Kagome's face as looks of disbelief and confusion took turns. “Wha…what? Marriage? Where did this come from? We've only been together for a month.”
 
He didn't know what to expect, but he had hoped for a more positive reaction. “Maybe we've only been sleeping together for a month, but you've been important to me for much longer. Since Christmas, I haven't stopped thinking about our future, and your importance to me. I want to spend the rest of my life with you in it. Not simply as a friend, not simply as Rin's aunt.”
 
“But…” Some of the color began to return to her face, and she tried on a small, tentative smile. “But what about your parents? You said they think of me as family, but are you sure they're on board. I mean, it's one thing to have a silly, freaky woman living next door temporarily—”
 
“My father said this morning, and this is a direct quote, `When are you going to ask her? Rin wants a baby cousin.'”
 
Kagome turned white as a sheet. A marriage proposal was a shock—she hadn't ever considered herself having mother potential. “Okay…I…wow. How long can I think about this?”
 
“As long as you need.”
 
Kagome stood and went to the window. She took a quick assessment. She loved him. She loved the Taishos. She knew Rin would be ecstatic. She knew, despite their differences, they were compatible, both in and out of bed. He didn't fight dirty. He was getting better at communication. He respected her; he valued her opinion; he treated her as an equal.
 
Above all, she loved him.
 
Kagome hesitantly opened the box, fearing a huge, gaudy, in-your-face diamond, like she had seen on the hands of so many women at the party. She let out a small, surprised gasp when she saw the ring. It was a black opal in an intricate filigree setting. The gemstone glittered in the shining city lights as if it had life. She gently pulled the ring from its velvet cushion and slipped it on her finger. Like Cinderella trying on a glass shoe, it fit perfectly. Kagome turned to him, standing anxiously, and nodded.
 
He crossed the room in three strides and pulled her into his arms. “You had me worried.”
 
“The ring is beautiful. How do you know me so well?” she asked, circling her arms around his neck, pressing her body to his.
 
“You taught me to listen.” He kissed her. “So yes?”
 
“Yes. Yes a million times.” She laughed; the evening had not turned out anything like she thought it would. “Can we have a small wedding?”
 
“We can have whatever we want.” He kissed her again, regretting that they had to go back to the party. The intense relief that she hadn't said No made him horny.
 
Kagome pulled back. She placed her hands on either side of his face and stared into his eyes. “Are you sure? I mean…are you really sure? Because I only want to do this once.”
 
“I've never been more sure of anything. Are you?”
 
“I'm freaking fucking out…but yes. I'm sure.” Her smile turned melancholy. “I wish they were here.”
 
He understood the reference. “My brother actually offered on several occasions to set me up with you. He said we'd make a perfect couple. I thought he was being dense.”
 
“Inuyasha could be pretty wise,” Kagome said, tightening her arms around him, her best friend's brother, her lover. “I suppose we should get back to the party. What time is it?”
 
He let her go with some reluctance and looked at his watch. “Oh shit,” he said, grabbing her hand and pulling her out the door. “We've got to run. It's eleven fifty one.”
 
XxXxX
 
Kagome and Sesshoumaru waded through the sea of humanity that filled the large ballroom and joined the Taishos and Rin, held by her grandfather to avoid being trod upon, on the stage. The mayor, council members, Taisho Incorporated bigwigs were also there, ready for the countdown to midnight that would begin in three minutes. The music and noise were too loud for conversation, so Kagome, blushing furiously, merely held her left hand up for inspection. She could almost hear Rin's high-pitched squeal when she realized what it meant. After long hugs and a few tears from her future in-laws, Kagome searched the crowd for a glimpse of her friends. They had seen the display on the stage and were already pushing their way to the front of the ballroom. The politicians and businessmen offered their congratulations to Sesshoumaru with handshakes and slaps on the back.
 
The large digital clock that had been brought in for the night showed 11:59, causing a spike in the noise and excitement level.
 
Just as Sango, Miroku, Jak, Bank, and several other friends climbed the stage, the DJ cut the music and began the countdown.
 
“Ten!”
 
“Nine!”
 
“Eight!” The crowd added its collective voice.
 
“Seven!”
 
Kagome, who had become separated from Sesshoumaru, craned her neck to see him.
 
“Six!”
 
Sesshoumaru reached out and pulled her to him.
 
“Five!”
 
“Four!”
 
Sesshoumaru didn't feel like waiting. He tilted her chin up and covered her mouth with his.
 
“Three!”
 
“Two!”
 
“One!” Balloons fell; confetti was thrown. It was the one night a year when noisemakers lost a small portion of their obnoxiousness.
 
“Happy two thousand eight!” the DJ yelled over the mike, his voice beginning to crack. The opening words of Prince's 1999 came over the speakers, much to the crowd's delight.
 
Kagome and Sesshoumaru parted and immediately grabbed Rin and planted kisses all over her face. The three were then swarmed by the group of friends.
 
XxXxX
 
An hour later, the party continued, but the size of the crowd had been halved. The overwhelming opinion was that the celebration was an unqualified success. There was the usual number of problems associated with a high concentration of drunken individuals, but no violence or damage to the property occurred. The hotel was booked; taxis constantly rotated, pulling up to the doors and leaving a moment later with riders going home; those who remained seemed more interested in sobering up than drinking more. The mayor was already talking about making this party a city tradition.
 
Rin, with half-hearted, yawning protestations, had left with the Taishos shortly after midnight to be put to bed. Kagome was dancing with Sango, Jak, and Kanna.
 
Sesshoumaru stood back and watched. For all the credit he deserved in the accomplishment, rushing the hotel opening and orchestrating the party, none of it mattered. He only had eyes for Kagome, who, a minute before, had run up to him, kissed him hard, whispered loudly in his ear, and went back to dance.
 
I love you too, Kagome.
 
A/N
 
I do not own Inuyasha. I do not own Glenfiddich products. Just one chapter (epilogue) left. Sorry for the extreme length of this chapter—nearly 10,000 words—I thought about splitting it, but didn't. Thanks for reading. Reviews, as always, are greatly appreciated.