InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dear Me ❯ Dear Me ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Hey hey! It's me again. Don't worry, I'm not abandoning "Two Swords: The Tangled Web." Boy, that is such a good title! Sorry. Anyway, I heard this song and just had to write about it before I could bring my focus back to the crossover. I hope you enjoy it!

Italics = Lyrics to the Lorrie Morgan song "Dear Me"

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters or the song.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Kagome looked out her window. It really hurt her heart. She knew that Inuyasha was back in the feudal age without her. She also knew it was her fault. It had been three days since she'd last seen him. Thoughts of him seemed to overwhelm her every waking moment. Ayume had been very worried and told her that whenever she felt sad, she would write herself a letter. Yuka and Eri had laughed. Kagome had too. But now that she was alone in her room when she should be with him, she would try anything to soothe her mind.

Dear me,
I'm writing this letter to try and tell myself it's time for me to feel better.

She scoffed at the opening. How silly was that? But then again writing herself a letter at all was silly. Everything she had done that week was silly. Well, actually it was stupid. She and Inuyasha were in the feudal age. They were having a small lunch together with Sango, Miroku, and Shippo. That was when she showed up. Kikyo had looked him right in the eye when he stood up.

"Kikyo?" She hated the sound of her name from his mouth. It made her shake with jealousy. But what did she have to be jealous about? It wasn't like Inuyasha was her boyfriend or anything. Kikyo had stared at him without any emotion. She told him that she finally understood the circumstances about her death, but she still hated him. She told him that her makeshift body was tired and was withering away.

"I am returning to the underworld. That's where I belong." She had turned on her heels and left. Inuyasha sat dumbfounded. His eyes welled up with rare tears. He looked positively devastated.

"Kikyo?" His voice had been very small and weak. It was completely unlike the Inuyasha she knew. But she was blinded by rage. He was crying over another woman. He was calling after her. Kagome had thrown her hands down angrily and stalked toward the well. He didn't run after her, and she didn't look back until she reached the well. Kagome looked down at the piece of paper in front of her and scribbled out the beginning in favor of starting again.

Dear me,
How could I turn away when he needed me? Now all that's left to say is…

Kagome looked down at the words on her paper. She remembered the way her looked when she glanced again from the well. They were eating close by, and she still had a good view of his face. He was staring right at her. His eyes were pleading with her, but her rage kept her from caring.

"Kagome." He had started to say something, and she could barely hear him from her distance away. But she didn't want to hear it. Let him mourn for his bitch alone. She had shouted across the clearing.

"I don't care, Inuyasha. It doesn't matter what you have to say anymore. It's obvious how you feel, so just stay away from me! I never want to see you again!" Then she jumped down the well. Jumped away from him. Tears began to fall on the paper and blur her words. She pulled the page off and threw it in her wastebasket. Emotion was overcoming her as she started to write again.

Dear me,
What have I done? Oh, and dear me, he's my only one. If he could see me now, sitting here all alone. If he could read these words, would he run back home?

She re-read her words and scoffed. My only one? Where had that come from? She knew that he was important to her, but her only one? She didn't like the way that sounded. Inuyasha was just a friend. Granted, she really cared about him, and he spent all of his time protecting her. Well, except when he was insulting her. She decided to think about other things. Things like the fact that no matter how hard she tried, her friends couldn't listen to her. She wanted to express how she felt about only being a shard detector, but she couldn't tell them that. They wouldn't understand. She tried to tell them about how they always did things together. She tried to express how much it hurt to let him go when there was still so much left to do between the two of them. But her friends weren't listening. They just kept saying the same things over and over.

"You did the right thing."

"Yeah, he was just mean and jealous anyway."

"I think if you're truly in love, everything will work out in the end." They had all stared at Ayume after that. She obviously didn't understand how break-ups worked. But she and Inuyasha couldn't break up. They didn't have anything to break up. They were just friends, and where had all that love stuff Ayume was babbling about come from? She tore off the next sheet in her notebook, and it joined the first in the garbage.

Dear me,
Do you really mind? You're the friend who will take the time to hear me, and all the plans we made. If he'll take me back, I'd do anything to make him stay.

She couldn't believe it. She'd done it again. Maybe this letter writing exercise wasn't a good idea after all. She thought of Inuyasha's golden eyes looking back at her as she yelled at him. He had seemed so hurt. But it was Kikyo he was mourning over wasn't it? He wasn't upset because of her. She stared at the piece of paper and tore it off too. The blank sheet on her desk stared back at her. What she wouldn't give to meet Inuyasha in a different way. She was wishing with all her heart that she had never even had the Shikon jewel in her body. Then maybe things could have been different. He wouldn't just think of her as a shard collector. He could think of her as more. As a friend. Or maybe as… She cut off her thoughts. She couldn't believe what she had just insinuated. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she came to a realization, and her pen flew on the page with a flurry.

Dear me,
We'll start all over again. Oh, and dear me, I hope he'll stay to the end. If he could see me now sitting here all alone. If he could read these words, would he run back home?

She couldn't see any longer through the water that had gathered in her eyes. She sniffled and stared at her words. Of course he wouldn't come back to her. He had better things to do. He had to find Kikyo and stop her. He had to assemble the jewel and become a demon. Everything he wanted included leaving her forever. She cried harder and ripped the offending paper from the desk. She balled it up and threw it as hard as she could against the wall. But instead, it sailed out the open window. She had left it that way when she came back. She had hoped any moment, Inuyasha would jump in and come to her. He would hold her. She could apologize, and everything would be all right. Things would be fine. But he hadn't come. He was doing as she ordered and staying away. She stalked to the window angrily.

"AHHHHHH!" She shouted and slammed the window shut. It made a loud noise because of her fierce action. She was just so mad at herself. How could she be so stupid? She sat down at her desk and stared at the black page in front of her. She whispered softly to herself.

"Okay, Kagome. For real this time."

The loud noise of Kagome shouting and the slamming of the window had set him running from the well house. He was going to wait a little longer. He wanted her to be asleep when he checked on her, so she wouldn't be angry. It had worked the previous two nights, although the last one almost got him caught. He had stayed by her side all night. The little thing that woke her up with loud noises had surprised him so much that he nearly threw it out the window. He had quickly decided to throw himself out the window instead so she wouldn't see him and sit him through the floor. He sighed as he stared up from the ground at her window. There was no danger. He couldn't smell anyone unfamiliar, so she was just venting. He turned to find a crumpled piece of paper at his feet. He smoothed it out and tried to read it. He was not very well educated, learning most of his reading skills from Kagome, so it took him a while to understand what the characters that decorated the page meant.

Dear me,
We'll start all over again. Oh, and dear me, I hope he'll stay to the end. If he could see me now sitting here all alone. If he could read these words, would he run back home?

The hanyou stood puzzled for a moment. Was she talking about him? Was it him that she wanted to stay with? His heart leapt for joy at the prospect. Instinctually, he clambered up the tree outside her room. He threw open her window to see her sitting stunned at her desk. She stood slowly and looked at him.

"So, what have you been doing?" He tried to sound casual as he watched her tear stained face. He hadn't considered the prospect that she wasn't writing about him until he had already gotten into the room. He hoped against all hope that she wouldn't be angry. His mind screamed for him to run. That he'd made a terrible mistake and should go before it got worse. His body wouldn't let him though, and neither would his heart. He stood firmly rooted to the spot as Kagome stood on shaky legs and walked over to him.

"I was pouring my heart out." He looked down at her.

"Oh." She stared up into his amber eyes and lost what little composure she had left after seeing the man she so desperately needed to see and thought she had scared away forever jumped into her room. She lunged, closing the remaining distance between them in fractions of a second. She wrapped her arms around him and squeezed. Her words scarcely got out because they were so choked by sobs.

"I thought you'd never come." He returned the embrace with equal fervor. He held her like she would run away if he loosened his hold even a little. He placed his lips to her ear and whispered to her softly.

"I could never leave you, Kagome." She cried into his shoulder and he just held on impossibly tighter. On her desk, the letter to herself lay unfinished.

Dear me,
You know I need him near me. You know I love him, dear me.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A/N: This was my first songfic. I will go back to writing my other story now. Thanks for indulging me by reading this. Please review!