InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Decisions of the Heart ❯ Upon Awakening ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Decisions of the Heart

Chapter Fifteen:

Upon Awakening

Disclaimer: * sits in an a asylum * Inuyasha is mines Inuyasha is mine! La le la le laaaaaaaa!

Warning: Well, at least I don't THINK anything bad happens in this chapter!

She felt life in her once more and warm. Everything was dissolving in a blurred mixture of colors. She felt herself breathing, she felt warmth pooling over her entire body, she felt free! Her eyelids fluttered open and met large golden orbs.

"Kagome?" his voice was soft as he stared at her in somewhat disbelief.

"I. . .Inuyasha?" she mumbled. Was this another dream? Was he going to leave her again? Tear struggling to break free she looked away from his face.

"What's wrong?" he asked, pulling her closer to his chest. She tugged away somewhat angrily. What had he done this time?

"Why are you here!" she snapped.

"What do you mean?" He laid her gently back down her mat.

"You're going to leave again, aren't you?" she asked, sniffling, wiping away a tear roughly. "Like you always do." Inuyasha felt his heart jump. He was about to spit words back angrily at her, but she was right. He always left, and even though he always came back, he never really considered what she felt like. What was the main reason? Kikyo.

"I haven't left." He folded his arms up in his kimono and still looked at her. Did she just come out of a dream, or what?

"But when I told you that--" Kagome stopped suddenly, delicately picking her choice in words. "You hate me." When he saw her eyes so filled with pain it seemed to shred him in tiny pieces.

"I don't hate you." Inuyasha said the words hesitantly.

"But you said--"

"I didn't."

"But you were always leaving me alone and. . ."

"I haven't left you," he said patiently. Kagome shook her head and her foggy brain began to clear. ~Was that all a dream!? What about the battle!~

"And Kikyo. . ." She looked at him probingly. He lowered his gaze.

"You mean the battle?"

"Of course!"

"You won!" Inuyasha cried. "But then you blacked out for a few days."

"I won?" she asked. He nodded. "I WON! But then that means that everything, all that stuff, was a DREAM?" Inuyasha shrugged.

"I guess so." Kagome suddenly latched onto him. Shocked, he returned the embrace.

"I'm sorry I was so stupid Inuyasha!" she wailed. She pulled back to look at his face. "I'm sorry that I am stupid."

"You're not," he replied gently. Blushing from their closeness, she let go and refused to look at him.

"So, are you staying?"

"I dunno."

"I won the battle, so I thought. . . NEVERMIND! It's not important." This time, it was her temper that flared as she stomped out of the hut.

"Wait! You shouldn't be walking!" Kagome ignored him and walked out to the large grassy field close to Kaede's. ~Why am I being so mean to him?~ she wondered. ~Oh yeah. Cause even though I won the battle, he still wants to be with Kikyo. I thought that by beating her, he could stay on her a little longer. But, the battle really was for me to stay alive, right? Maybe I thought that I could impress him by beating her! Or maybe it really turned into a battle for him. I never had a chance, did I? Kikyo's always better than me in everything, isn't she?~

"Kagome. . ."

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

". . ." He felt him grip her shoulders and whirl her around to face him. Their faces were close.

"Why don't you just GO, okay, I really don't want to see you anymore!" she cried.

"You mean that?"

"You know! Why don't you just go off with Kikyo! It's not like it's any of my business!"

"Kagome, I. . ."

"I thought that you would at least stay until we finished the jewel! I need your help for that at least!" She knew it sounded lame. He seemed to know it to, by the way his ears perked up in surprise.

"You really don't mean that!" he yelled, growling at her, eyes narrowing.

"That's all I am to you! Your shard detector! So why should you care about what I think of you?!" His grip on her loosened and he looked in her in utter disbelief. "THAT'S ALL YOU EVER TALK ABOUT! KAGOME GET OFF YOUR BUTT! KAGOME LET'S GO GET THE SHARDS! I DON'T NEED YOU WENCH, YOU'RE JUST A STUPID GIRL! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? SHE'S JUST MY SHARD DETECTOR! YOU'RE USELESS! YOU'RE ALWAYS GETTING IN THE WAY!" She sucked in a deep breath, face red from her rant, tear slipping down her cheek.

"I really sound like that?"

"Yes," she sniffled. Inuyasha felt horrible. He had become to accustomed to having Kagome by his side and making fun of her every few seconds he wondered what it would be like for her not to be there on their latest shard hunt.

"Kagome, for what it's worth, I'm sorry. I don't think you're worthless, I guess, sometimes I am just a. . .a. . .an asshole." (OOC!) He cringed at the words, they were hard to form on his lips, and even harder spitting them out. Kagome's eyes widened in shock. THE GREAT INUYASHA?!!!!!!!! CALLING HIMSELF AN ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Inuyasha, I'm sorry that I flipped out on you. You know how to make your own decisions, I won't stand in your way anymore. I know you just can't forget about Kikyo!" She feigned a watery smile. He released her shoulders. Her eyes were full of shock but was completely masked by the hurt. He didn't know what to do.

"Well, it's getting kinda late, don't you think Inuyasha?" Her voice was high and squeaky. "Now, if you don't mind, I think I want to go home and rest up for a bit!"

"I. . ." He put on the nastiest scowl he could muster then looked at her wistfully. Would she break if he refused? She had been through a lot already.

"Alright then!"

"Thanks Inuyasha!"

~*~

Aya, Naoko, and Yuri practically ganged up on her when she went to school.

"Hey Kagome!"

"Did you finish your therapy already?"

"T-Therapy?"

"Yeah, after that bad encounter with the dog. . ." Kagome sweat dropped.

"Well, I guess I'm all better now! Anything happen in school while I was out?"

"Tests!"

"Tests!"

"TESTS!" Aya shouted. Kagome sighed, and shouldered her pack, this was going to be a LOOOOOONG day!

~*~

"Inuyasha, I am beginning to think that maybe you should just break it off with Kagome." Miroku's soft voice brought Inuyasha back to reality. He looked at him quietly, then mumbled, "It's not like we were actually "together" or anything."

"Well, Kagome might have thought that."

"What do you know monk!" he growled, pillowing his cheek in his hand. "I don't think she'll come back--"

"Yeah, you probably acted like a TOTAL jerk when she woke up!" Shippo cried, shaking his balled fists up and down. Inuyasha was really testing his patience these days.

"Yes, Inuyasha. I think is it is time for you to decide who you want to be with and where you want to spend your life." He looked dully at Sango whose eyes were narrowed in a serious stare.

"What's that look!?"

"You're probably hurting both of them being a two-timer. Break up with one and tell the other that you love her!" He blushed and snorted.

"Kikyo already knows I love her!"

"What about Kagome?"

"I don't love her! Simple as that!"

"So all those times you spent cuddled with her were just--"

"YOU WERE SPYING ON US!" His face had become an outrageous shade of pink.

"That's means that you admit that you--"

"I didn't say that!"

"So you hate Kagome?"

"No."

"Then you love her right?"

"SHUT UPPPPPPPPPP! You're just twisting things around trying to confuse me!" he growled. "In fact, I'm going to go tell Kikyo how I feel right now!" The gang sweat dropped as the angered hanyou stamped away.

"He's going after Kagome, isn't he?" Shippo asked.

"Yep."

~*~

Once he made sure no one was looking, he sat down comfortably at the base of the God Tree, head tipped to the open ink black sky spangled with stars. A half moon cast silvery light that practically matched the shade of his tangled mane.

"Do I love Kagome?" he murmured out loud, hoping to wipe the blush off of his face. He saw the horrified look in her eyes when he yelled at her. Inuyasha firmly shook his head.

"No. The others are just stupid. Who could love me?" he said, ear twitching in annoyance. Cupping his face his hand, he sighed loudly. "Then there's really not much of a choice, is there? Kikyo loves me, right?" Inuyasha nodded then mentally scolded himself. "But if she loves me, why does she want to take me to hell? And why does she want me to change? Is that what love is all about?

What do I think of when I think of Kikyo? Calmness. Power. Grace. Beauty." An almost dreamy look came over his face. "And Kagome? Happiness. Little strength. Clumsy." His face flushed. "She IS cute, I guess. . .NO! NO! NO! That's not true! I need some serious help, but from who? Kaede would tell me to go with Kagome. Miroku is just. . .a pervert." He sat there for the longest time, until a particular scent hit his nose.

He spat roughly, and growled, hopping up, holding the Tetsusaiga.

"Why must you always be so hostile?"

"Oh cut the bull SESSHOMARU!" he snarled. Suddenly, his brother appeared behind him. The older demon hissed. "WHY ARE YOU HERE?"

"Only to help you," he replied tranquilly.

"N-nani?"