InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Defects of Perfection ❯ Trapped and Shattered ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The dense underbrush yielded beneath her dainty feet, severed whispers to be heard as thorn and blossomed vine kissed the wood of her sandals in reverence. Aside from this, she remained silent as the dead stone. Cupid lips drawn taut, pale - incapable of uttering a word of any kind while breathing in the fettered night. The air was still and placid. Shadows recoiled into shadows as the essence of her seeped through the forest.. Into the swaying grass blades, the ancient trees that after fifty years of living knew her well. Youkai let their eyes wander, but not their hands, their claws to itching to shred her pristine flesh and its unholy glow. Even the most dim-witted of creatures knew better than to approach the melancholy maiden, for as milky threads of moonlight played upon her porcelain features, they brought her attire and weapon of choice to light; The attire of a Miko, a bow and quiver strung with care across her back. Priestess.


Risen priestess, master archer. Purity and sin slithering over each other in a beautiful battle for mastery. Smoldering orbs that reflected the ill intentions and the pain, the same pain that was liquid fire to her idle veins, the pain she planned to inflict upon those she both loved and detested. The pain of betrayal and loneliness - her legacy. She could only do harm to the world, just as the world had only done harm to her. Embittered, mummified pain that once liberated would be the destruction of her foes, and of herself. She vowed to end Naraku's wicked life, even as she swayed for all eyes like a leaf upon a swell of breeze, the very picture of frailty. In that sense, she was a beautiful lie to be unraveled..

Only in this vow did she find comfort, or something similar. A phantom emotion that taunted her simply because she was not able to feel it. InuYasha, too, would be destroyed when this vow, this plan - so determined to succeed - was carried out. She'd literally drag him through the bowels of hell before she allowed him to forget what he owed her. Before he could forget the love for her so deeply ingrained in him that it was vicious, animal, that it was cold instinct and reaction. She would never let him stop loving her. He could not give in to the whims of the makeshift Miko, Kagome.. For in all truth, Kikyou was beyond deserving, and aside from that the creator, the basis of Kagome's entire being. Without Kikyou there would be no Kagome, not vice versa. Kagome was subsequent and therefore less. These were the priestess's ponderings in which she found little if not some comfort. More so in the fact that InuYasha always had and always would love her, despite warming to the foolish girl.

But then there was fifty years ago, like an ominous void, looming over her other memories and thoughts as a constant reminder of 'what if?'. What if Naraku had been correct? That if their love was so strong, so meant to be, so capable of overcoming all obstacles that had been lain before them, then it would not have been so sickeningly easy for him to tear them apart. Perhaps the nagging doubt kept her wound fresh, or perhaps it was those emotions still lingering from her moment of death; "He betrayed me, fooled me, lied to me." Either way, it made her question her own love all over again, and often times his as well. The only way to know for sure was to see it out in the end that they died together and descended for all eternity into the lapping flames of hell. She could wait for a day like that. Morbid fantasies come to light. The two of them, undisturbed, forever..

Through the haggard vegetation she made her way, breaking bittersweet reveries, ghost of a bloodstream boiling at the all-too-familiar presence of him, pushing against the liquid silence. She had come to meet him at his command, not hers. Of course she complied. Long, white fingers gently fluttered to her bow as a pelt soft murmur quivered from her rosebud lips. She was prepared for this meeting - this meeting of white and black underneath an ashen sky, all moonlit and distorted. She approached with unerring confidence.

He appeared too calm for her liking, rearing up suspictions almost at once. All of this was suppressed beneath a cool, calculating mask.

"Kikyou," Her name spilled forth from his smirking mouth, velvet tone falling upon her ear in a most unpleasant way. Being so near to him rendered her nearly numb with loathing - all for him, incalculable amounts of hatred - but fine features gave way to none of this, as she stood over him, expression like to stone. All that hinted of her true feelings were those eyes.. Eyes that threatened to frighten and excite him all at once. The closeness of her was thrilling. It jumped his nerves, and he knew only she could bring out such a reaction in him. Though as Naraku he was equally repulsed, Onigumo's broken voice echoed from within, sputtering lusts and unthinkable wishes forth as eagerly as the wave brings foam to the shore, probing his mind to make him see the way the moonlight swathed her lithe frame.

Optics narrowed behind fringes of thick lash, she scowled.

"Yes. I have come, just as you requested." Frigid gaze locked with his own, she added almost harshly, ".. What -is- it that you want from me?"

" Why must you be so assuming? I merely came to ask of where our alliance lies."

Alliance. He really did think she was on his side, didn't he? Foolish half-demon. She'd wished from the very beginning nothing for him but a slow and painful demise. But for now, she would let him believe whatever he fancied - for in the end, he would come to die by her hand, just like InuYasha.

" I am loyal as ever," She responded in feigned casualty, " I have been keeping an eye on InuYasha and the others."

He rose slowly, chuckling under his breath in the driest of ways. "Glad to hear it, Kikyou."murmured, and while she was more than capable of defending herself, she had not expected such a swift attack. A writhing tentacle shot out from the rippling folds of his baboon pelt and smacked her squarely across the torso, causing her to stagger back in surprise. What the attack lacked in strength it made up for in speed. Palming a withered tree, she hastily righted herself, halting her clumsy stumble.

"Naraku!" She hissed.

A vicious, canine sneer formed upon his sensual lips as he drew near, his dying chuckle like mockery to her as she reached hesitantly for an arrow.

" No need to be angered, Kikyou. There will be time and reason for that later."

Kikyou did not have time to utter an inquiry of his intentions before she went spiraling into darkness, and fell heavily to the earth. Thin lips drawn firm, Kagura detached herself from the dense shadow, and glowered down at the body, the jagged rock still clutched in her hand. The priestess went down so easily. She hadn't even been expecting it.

And now Naraku had her in his clutches.

* *

A/N: I apologize for the slight OOCness, I'm sad to say that there will be much more of that.

Disclaimer: I do not own the series 'InuYasha', or any of its characters. Only this plot and this fan fiction are mine - so don't steal.

"Defects of Perfection" ©