InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Nature ❯ Demon Nature Chapter 15 Promise... or repeat ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Demon Nature Chapter 15

I don't own the characters from Inu Yasha.

Shippou looked over at Riku, then up at the sky. It was getting dark, and they needed to find somewhere to sleep. They were walking side by side silently, and Shippou thought about what they'd been hearing and seeing over the last few days.

Everyone demon they ran into was talking about a war, and the fact that the two brothers, Inu Yasha and Sesshoumaru had reconciled, with Inu Yasha moving into his former quarters in what had been his fathers palace with his human wife, the miko Kagome.

"Are you sure you want to be here, now?" Riku asked, her large red tail flipping as she talked.

"If the rumors are true…"

"We should be here. I can't imagine Inu Yasha and Kagome living with Rin and Sesshouma…"

Riku stopped dead in her tracks, her mouth wide open as Shippou, realizing his mistake, grinned sheepishly..

"You, we, you're taking me to that place? Sesshoumaru's Palace?!!! Me?!!! I thought you had feelings for me, that you cared for me…" she wailed, forcing tears out of her eyes.

"Cut the shit Riku. I tried to leave you behind because I knew it would freak you out. Why're you so afraid anyway?"

"Sesshoumaru? You are kidding me right? He can kill you without even trying. And he doesn't even tolerate lesser demons in his presence. I am not suicidal Shippou…"

"Riku, we are already in his domain in case you haven't noticed. All his vassals are preparing for the spring, when they'll move against the north and Demoness Leiko. I think there are spies in every tree and every blade of grass. So keep broadcasting our destination," he snapped at her, anger making him abrupt. He had traveled on the quest for the Shikon jewel with his friends, had seen what greed and envy could do. When the quest had ended he'd gone on his way, taking time to grow up a normal demon, and doing his share of mischief as he did. He and Riku, although about seventy five in human terms, were mere teenagers. Sesshoumaru was in his prime, a few hundred years old, with Inu Yasha just now reaching his prime, in his eighties in human terms. Leiko and Akemi were much older than Sesshoumaru, and normally the younger demon would've taken his time, wouldn't have challenged them. But with two growing children, children about to reach puberty, demon style, he wanted to provide them with bigger play areas than the courtyard of his palace. Shippou had met Taisho and Sakura once, noting that they were both extraordinarily beautiful children, but he knew Sesshoumaru, and he knew that they would be just as ruthless as he was. Rin had recovered from the very difficult birth of Sakura, aided by the then ancient Kaede, and the girl she'd been training, and Sesshoumaru had still been reeling from almost losing her.

Humans had shot Inu Yasha in Kagome's time he'd heard, and since then Inu Yasha and Kagome of them lived mostly in this time.

Thoughts of Kaede and the Shikon quest brought back fond memories, and he wondered where Sango and Miroku had gone to.

He didn't speak any of this to Riku, not wanting her to know how well he knew all the people in this little drama.

A rustling sound came to his ears and he shifted shape, scurrying into the underbrush, Riku right behind him.

"Shippou!!!!!" a shrill voice sounded, and he shook himself, reverting to his human form.

"Jaken."

"The Master says to bring you. He's tired from a long journey, but he has said that he wants to talk to you."

Of course he did. This would be up to date intelligence.

"I'm traveling with a companion, Riku. We must come together."

"Whatever," Jaken mumbled under his breath, and Riku now shifted back to human form.

"Come," Jaken commanded, and they walked in his wake, the idea of being out of the elements for the night spurring them on.

Sesshoumaru stood flanked by his children, Taisho on his right, Sakura on his left. Inu Yasha stood over Sesshoumaru's left shoulder, his face solemn.

"Shippou, and Riku is it? Welcome to my home," Sesshoumaru said calmly, his arrogance lending a harsh tone to his words.

"Sesshoumaru…"

"LORD Sesshoumaru," Jaken shrieked. Sesshoumaru didn't even look at his servant.

"There is food, and a place to stay for the night. Come dine with us."

Taisho and Sakura were actually being demure, curious about this young demon from their father's and uncle's past. Shippou scented both Rin and Kagome, but neither woman would be present. Sakura was about to go into heat, and he wondered how much longer she'd stay in her father's house as he walked to the private quarters. The room was huge, and having seen Sesshoumaru a few times in demon form, he knew why. Inu Yasha, when he transformed, was equally large. Even when they took on their real forms, the kitsune were no match in size for the two demonic canines.

The kill was fresh, and after they'd all eaten their fill, Sesshoumaru asked Shippou what he had heard during his journey.

"What do you expect Sesshoumaru? They're scared, they want it to be over fast. Leiko has so many spies here it's a wonder anyone is left in her domain. They are worried because you and Lord Inu Yasha are united," Shippou said smugly, sitting back and shooting a look at Jaken, who bristled but stayed quiet.

"I've been told by two of them that Leiko is working on a union with Yukio in the South."

"It seems so," Shippou said.

"I didn't know who Yukio was, but he seems to be untested."

Sesshoumaru looked over at Inu Yasha, who had not spoken a word.

"I'm not involved in his war Shippou," Inu Yasha said, his voice modulated instead of his usual shout.

"Doesn't seem to matter outside. Leiko is afraid."

Riku yawned, but her being sleepy didn't affect the other demons.

"How close is Leiko to succeeding?" Sesshoumaru asked, still in that maddeningly calm voice he used when dealing with beings he felt were lesser than him.

"Yukio is resisting, or so the gossip goes. Leiko has a lover, and he seems as ambitious for her as she is for herself."

Sesshoumaru wondered how serious a lover this was for Leiko, who had never allowed any child of hers to live past birth. If the demoness were to become with child…

"Who is this lover of hers?"

"Rumor is he's a feline like her, name of Hisoka."

Sesshoumaru nodded, having all the information he needed.

"Your mate seems tired Shippou," Sesshoumaru said with what passed for a smile from him.

"Jaken, show him to his quarters."

"Yes Master," Jaken said with his usual sneer. Riku, still thinking at any minute the Demon Lord would kill her, got right up and fell in behind Jaken. Shippou looked at Inu Yasha before standing up and following Jaken.

"You would let Yukio align with Leiko?" Inu Yasha asked after they'd left.

"Let's see if he is truly my son. With Yore guiding him, somehow I think Leiko will fail."

"We can go South Father," Sakura said, looking over at Taisho. This was something they'd discussed between themselves.

"And why would you do that?" Sesshoumaru asked his daughter, his eyes bright.

"I want to see my half brother," she said plainly, her deep gold eyes not giving anything away."

"Taisho?"

"I'm curious father."

Sesshoumaru was secretly pleased with his children. He knew if they got the chance they would kill Yukio, so he had to make sure that they understood this unknown factor was part of his plans.

"I don't want him dead. I want him brought here. He's a full demon, but I don't know if he knows the extent of his powers yet. His mother will be on guard against someone coming to take him. Don't do anything that will bring him harm."

He could see they were disappointed, but they knew the extent of his powers.

"What will you be doing Father?" Taisho asked.

"Helping Hisoka achieve his goals with Leiko."

"You want Yukio to align with us."

"We can't fight a war on three fronts. Two will be difficult enough. All we need is his co operation for a few months. After that he can do what he wants."

"And if he won't come?"

"He will come."

They bowed and left, leaving Inu Yasha alone with his brother.

"How is Kagome?" Sesshoumaru asked.

"She says she's fine. The doctor we see specializes is working with our kind, hanyou, and youkai, in her time. It seems that she has youkai blood somewhere in her family."

He looked at Sesshoumaru.

"Tampering with the past will affect the future, theirs and ours."

"I don't plan to do anything I wasn't going to do. My children can handle Yukio…"

"If they don't kill him."

"They won't. Rin can still have children."

"They don't know…"

"No."

Inu Yasha stood.

"I want no part of this shit Sesshoumaru."

"I know. But we both know its safer for you here than in those huts you and Kagome love so much."

Inu Yasha growled, and turned on his heels, leaving Sesshoumaru alone. He knew Rin was busy with the things she'd brought back with her from Kagome's time, and wanted to show them to him, but he had work to do.

Jaken appeared at his side, and he looked down at the little toad. Without a word they stepped through the glamour that hid his palace, elevating above the tree line and heading for the cave of a hanyou witch he knew.

Nishi felt the shift in the wind, and knew Sesshoumaru was near. Pulling her wolf skin around her shoulders she stepped out into the night, looking skyward. He had long ago captured her soul, tricking her into thinking he was a human lover. Instead of pleasure, his touch had brought enslavement. She watched as he descended, Jaken at his side.

"Master."

"You have an errand to run for me Nishi. You leave tonight."

She bowed to her Lord, the sound of Jaken's cackle echoing in her brain.

Rin took a final look at the things she'd brough back with her from Kagome's time. Shampoo, for her hair, something she knew Sesshoumaru loved, oil to put in her bath that would scent her body better than the natural herbs she used now, and decadent underclothes that aroused her Master more than anything. He had torn the first set she'd worn to shreds in his rush to get them off, and he'd told her no one was ever to lay eyes on her when she wore them except him. She had bought five of them, all in the deep pink he loved on her. She blushed, remembering the times in the Higurashi home, the excitement of being in the soft futon they called a bed, and the feel of the silk on her skin, and how he'd reacted to her.

She'd not worn one of the outfits tonight, saving them for times she felt were special. For himself he had brought back silk sleeping outfits, and she had made sure to do what Mrs. Higurashi had told her to do, putting small bags of fragrant herbs into his cabinet to keep them scented the way he wanted them. She'd done the same for her things as well.

There was a soft knock on her door, and she stood up, arranging her yukata and kimono before going to the door.

"Okaasan," her children said, bowing to her. They were dressed for travel, and she stepped aside, letting them into the outer room. They had come here often as children, but now, it was a place rarely visited.

"Sesshoumaru-sama is sending us on a journey. We come for your blessing."

Rin was stunned. She'd not expected her children to be gone until the Spring, when her mate would leave her as well. But if Sesshoumaru was sending them away, there had to be a good reason for it, and he would not appreciate her behaving as a human mother sending her children away. So she pushed her fears and worries aside and gave them both a smile.

"Your Father shows his respect for your abilities. I am pleased to have borne such children for him."

She touched each one with her hand, hoping it didn't tremble.

"Be safe, and be back soon," she said softly she said to each one of them. Sakura she could see was anxious to be gone, but Taisho touched her hand in return.

"We will be back soon Okaasan."

With deep bows they took their leave of their mother, heading out into the cold. Sakura's time of the month would come soon, and they wanted to be in the South when she would appear human. Taisho had had his time two nights ago. Taking to the air, they whisked south, to meet the brother they didn't know.

Yore sat in the corner, her bronze colored eyes neutral, watching as Yukio received Leiko and her lover, Hisoka. They were in his private apartment, and a servant demon served them. It was custom. None of them needed sustenance the way humans did. When the servant was gone, Leiko began to speak in her sibilant tones, her lover attentive at her side.

"Have you considered my proposal Yukio-sama?" Leiko said demurely, her green eyes fixed on the young demon in front of her. He was as slim and elegant as his father she thought to herself, his black hair the color of midnight, contrasting with his gold eyes. The marks on his face were fainter than those on his father's face and hands.

"I have. I must decline at this time."

Hisoka sat up, stunned, but Leiko had known he would reject her proposal until or unless Sesshoumaru gave him a reason to. Whether the Great Lord himself would come in person or not she didn't know. He could still be in the future time with that simpering human mate of his for all she knew. Despite the fact that she didn't believe the decision was his, but that of the demoness sitting quietly in the corner, she directed her questions to Yukio.

"At this time. Should one come back at a more favorable time?" she asked, shifting her body so that her attributes were visible to the young demon who was one step from drooling over her. Hisoka understood, they'd discussed it, that if she could seduce the young pup, and bear his seed, Sesshoumaru would think twice about going against blood.

But the Great Lord had not made a move toward this canine that was so obviously his spawn, either to embrace or reject, and she knew that had to gall Yore. Without a move from Sesshoumaru, her visit was useless.

"The discussion is over for now," he said in a tone that he would have no way of knowing was very close to his father's.

Hisoka bowed deeply before speaking.

"Lord Yukio, the Great Lord of the West is the enemy of the rulers of all domains. Please keep in mind as you continue to ponder this matter, that he would reduce all of the Lords to mere vassals. The richness of your domain is legendary Lord Yukio, and he would stop at nothing to obtain control of it."

"You speak of things that I know Hisoka," Yukio said, annoyed.

"Hisoka only wishes to remind you of certain things Lord Yukio, and by no means is implying that you don't know them," Leiko said smoothly. She'd seen Yore begin to bristle in her corner, her eyes flashing at the perceived insult to her son.

"Of course Lord Yukio," Hisoka managed to say without stammering. He had never dealt on this level, and knew if he'd said such a thing to Sesshoumaru he'd be dead.

A serving demon came in and served sake, the best available, and Hisoka gulped his drink, hoping to calm his nerves. Leiko was busy with her garment, and Yukio was busy looking, so neither of them drank. Yore had a peculiar look on her face as she watched the serving demon leave, but she stayed put. Leiko, seeing nothing would be accomplished, took her leave, Hisoka following in her wake.

"Lord Yukio…"

"I need some air mother," he snapped at her, leaving the room abruptly. Yore listened as he left, sighing to herself. IF only there were a young demoness worthy of him, who would warm his bed and bear his pups. She had put feelers out, to no avail. She sniffed the air, all seemed to be well, and she retired to her quarters to rest. On her way she asked for her current favorite to be sent to her. Leiko wasn't the only one who could play that game.

The moon was almost full, and Yukio walked through a winter wonderland, the frozen snow glimmering in the moon's light. At any other time he would've stopped to take the view in, to enjoy the beauty of the world he lived in.

But his thoughts were on someone he had scented a few days ago, and using all the stealth available to him, he came near to where she lived now. His nose told him she was full demon, like himself, and that she had just begun to go into heat, something that was of concern to her mother, who now wanted to mate her as soon as possible. His mother was not the only one with spies, he thought to himself. He stood just outside their lair, listening as the mother shooed her offspring inside, shifting to demon form as she did. Yukio smiled to himself before stepping into the clearing.

"Lord Yukio!!!" he heard her gasp, the words only in his mind. She shifted back, and bowed deeply.

"I've come about your daughter Hotaru."

"Lord Yukio, she is young, and never mated."

"I would like her to be my mate."

The demoness had no idea how to respond. They were from a lesser family, and had never in her wildest dreams, thought a Demon Lord would be interested in her pup. Hotaru, having heard every word, stepped into the clearing, bowing deeply.

"It would be my honor to be your mate Yukio-sama," she said, her long hair falling over her face.

"Does your mother, Lady Yore, approve of the match sire?" the mother asked.

"I am the Demon Lord of the South," he said, walking over to Hotaru and touching her face tenderly.

"The Lady Yore will approve."

Later, much later, he lay in his room, his mate asleep at his side. She had been shy at first, but had not discouraged him, ignoring the pain of her first mating to pleasure him. He could tell she had conceived, and that she would soon bear his pup. He closed his eyes, thinking of another, a human, whom he'd wanted to have that honor. He still spied on her, and she, sensing him, would look but not come near where he would stand hidden, his manhood straining against his clothing. She would be a human's wife, and bear human children. Hotaru was his mate, and he wondered if he would mark her as his. He knew she would never leave him voluntarily, and that she would bear him many pups. But when his mind stilled, and he felt himself slipping into state that passed for sleep with demons, his mind was on Ai, on her softness, on the way she would smile at him during one of their discussions. Hotaru would not be interested in such things, and now, as a Demon Lord, with a domain to run, he could not afford to be either.

Yore stood at the door, holding a kimono Hotaru had only dreamed of ever wearing. The Lady Yore was not what she had expected, still beautiful, and youthful.

"Welcome to my family. You will do us proud," Yore said. Hotaru let herself be led to the bath, where an elaborate toilet was performed, one she'd heard high bred ladies were given, and her hair was elaborately coiffed as befit her new station. When she was presented to her mate he smiled.

"She is beautiful," Lady Yore said as she gave Hotaru the once over.

"And she will bear many young."

Yukio met his mothers eyes, knowing that she was accepting what she couldn't change, and that she wasn't happy about his choice.

"We must see to it that her family is cared for."

"It's been taken care of mother," Yukio said.

"Good. Akiko will show her around. You have business to take care of."

"In a minute mother. Let me say good bye to Hotaru."

The younger demoness did not miss the flare of anger in her mother in laws eyes, and knew she had better learn the lay of the land quickly, or else her Yukio would be choosing a new mate, and soon.

Ai sat as her maid combed the tangles out of her hair, eyes closed. She had learned how to tune out the gossip, making appropriate noises when her input was required.

"…so now she's bragging how the new Demon Lord himself came and claimed her daughter. She thinks any day now she'll be living there, especially since the girl mated with him that same night, or so she says."

Ai was now listening, but was unable to reply, emotion constricting her throat.

"…well, who wants to marry a demon anyway? I hear some of the Demon Lords have taken human wives, but can you imagine what mating with them must be like? I hear the ones who can assume human shape are still built like animals…"

Ai stood, and the elderly woman gasped.

"I'm sorry Lady Ai, if my conversation offended you…"

"Leave me."

"Mistress, your hair…"

"Leave me!!!!!!"

The woman left, and Ai paced the room, frantic. Yukio had taken a wife? She knew she shouldn't care, she knew that she was already betrothed, and that the news of his marrying shouldn't affect her. But it did, and there was no way to pull the knife out of her heart, to ease the pain the news had brought her. It had been a shock to her when she'd seen his true form, the sight of the huge black canine taking to the sky had not left her, but when she thought of Yukio, she thought of the man she'd known, the man who had sat with her for long afternoons reading ancient texts and writing haiku. What was he now? Had he become like the demon who was rumored to be his father, the great and awful Sesshoumaru of the West, someone other demons feared?

She sank to the floor, tears streaming down her face. There was no way he would come for her now, all of her dreams and fantasies unable to be supported now. She was gasping for air, and she tore the windows open, running out into the cold. Better to die she thought than pretend she loved the human she was pledged to wed.

When she came to a stop, her lungs burning, she was in the grove of trees where she'd last met him, and she sank to the ground, soaked in sweat, the cold wind freezing the moisture against her skin.

"Yukio," she said softly, closing her eyes.

Taisho stood silently watching the human, his sister at his side.

"Why do you care about her Taisho?"

"She loves our brother."

"And? He's apparently chosen a mate, a demoness."

Taisho stepped into the clearing, smoothing the hair from the human woman's face. She was not beautiful, but she wasn't ugly either. He was surprised to find he compared her features to his mother, and found this girl lacking.

"She deserves more than to be married to some human."

"She is human remember? You're holding us up here…"

"She can be used as bait to catch our brother sister. We can't let her die."

Sakura was now interested, and came over, standing over the near frozen girl.

"There is a temple nearby. Lets take her there before she freezes to death. Then we'll have someone let Yukio know where she is, and that she tried to kill herself on finding out he'd taken a mate. If he's the gentle soul we've heard he is, he'll come. And we'll have him."

Taisho lifted Ai's body, gently radiating heat to keep her warm while Sakura, totally human, walked ahead, asking for entry to the temple while Taisho lay the now sleeping Ai just beyond the grounds of the structure and stepped back into the brush.

"Sir, I think a woman is sick. Please come see."

The monk followed Sakura, who seemed definitely concerned. When he saw Ai, he lifted her.

"A lady, high born, out in this cold. Thank you young…"

The young woman had disappeared, and being concerned with the girl in his arms, the monk headed quickly back to the warmth of the temple. If he'd been looking behind him, he would've seen a human girl standing with a look on her face no human could ever have, her hand resting on the ruff of a large canine whose eyes glowed red.

"Good work sister," he thought to Sakura, who scratched his neck.

"Now, to meet our brother."

She climbed on his back and he took to the air, heading for the den of the Demon Lord of the South.