InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demonology ❯ The Unexpected Dilemma ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Author's Note: Woo! New chapter! I finally had some time to get this done! Let me know what you think in the comments!

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. He is the property of Rumiko Takahashi and I appreciate the use of her characters from the series of Inuyasha.

Chapter 3: The unexpected Dilemma

Inuyasha hit pause on the recorder, giving a toothy grin to the Brooklyn police captain. The captain stared at the recorder for a few minutes, controlling his anger as best as he could. Inuyasha could see his thick brushed moustache shivering with anger, his scrunched face turning redder and redder. His thin hair showed red on the scalp as the chief was trying harder and harder to control his anger.

“So all of these new disappearances are because of that bastard visiting?” he said in a strained voice. His fingers were tapping the desk frantically.

“So it would seem,” Inuyasha retorted. “It's not uncommon for humans to go missing in times like this. Demons love the taste of human blood, and human blood tainted with hard drugs like heroin and acid give a similar high that humans get. It doesn't surprise me that this particular demon has a taste for that, much less demanding a young girl to drink. Most demons demand the blood of a virgin girl, much less a young girl who has drugs in her system.”

The police chief slammed his fist down. “Well what the hell are we supposed to do? Have a guard for every young female in New York City? That would be impossible!” roared the police chief.

Inuyasha shook his head. “You need to watch out for young girls that wouldn't be noticed if gone missing. College students who are new to the city, foster kids, homeless kids. Watch at children's homes and foster homes, those are the kids that are going to go missing more quickly. Put a temporary ban on adoptions right now. Start warning prostitutes of what may be happening…”

“We can't ban adoption, what will everyone say? `Police suggest no homeless children be adopted for reasons that can't be made public?' Are you insane? That would put New York in the press more than ever before!”

Inuyasha leaned against the desk, pinching his chin as he thought. “We might have to put a female cop undercover to see if she gets led into the dens so that we can report on who is running the operation here in New York. We know its demons, and we need a cop that won't be recognized.”

“It's no use, no sane cop would agree to something like that,” sighed the police captain.

“Well, how about a convict looked for community service? Or offer a plea bargain for a guilty woman?”

The police captain thought about this. “I'll see what I can do, but I doubt anything will come of it. Keep your ears peeled, try to get more information this week. If we keep getting information like this, there's a chance that we can stop the disappearances.”

“Yes sir.”

Inuyasha left the police station, sending Myoga a text.

Leave the bar now, I have everything I need and I'm going home.

Inuyasha walked slowly back to his apartment, but not before stopping in front of the NYU dorm Kagome was staying at. He knew which window belonged to her and he wondered what she'd say if he jumped up to the window sill. She'd probably scream, but he might look in on her roommates. He sighed, staring up at the room.

This girl was taking over his mind. He shook his head and kept walking, down the street back home.

When he arrived home, Myoga was still in Inuyasha's form, giving him a toothy grin when the real Inuyasha walked in. Inuyasha let the concealing spell fade away finally, so the two creatures matched exactly while staring at one another.

“So, did you hear anything interesting at the club tonight?” Inuyasha asked him. Myoga smiled even larger.

“I found out where they're experimenting the drugs on humans and how they're doing it,” Myoga stated excitedly.

Inuyasha's eyes grew wide. “You're kidding!”

“No! It's happening in the Bronx. The Thunder Brother's Fights and Lights. Apparently they have a second basement where they're trying drugs on humans and giving taste tests to the different demons to see how they react. However, you can only get in if you're a human female or a demon looking to buy.”

Inuyasha considered this. He could never be caught trying to buy the stuff, and he wasn't a human girl. This created a problem.

“We'll do more research, but that's great information. Thank you. I release you from your duties for the evening.”

Myoga burst into a cloud of smoke, only to appear as the small, four armed man once more. “Thank you, master.”

Myoga left, leaving Inuyasha to the complete sound of silence in his apartment.

He pulled his hair out of the braid and let the silver locks cascade around his face as he leaned over the sink. He ran some cold water and splashed his face. He had a lot to take in right now. He knew where it was happening, but no sane demon would ever go into the Thunder Brother's Fights and Lights willingly. Nor would any sane human.

Except maybe one. One who knew his double life, one who worked in law enforcement already… He felt himself smile. He may have found a work around.

*-*-*-*

Kagome closed the door to her dorm to find that her roommates were out for the evening. Her cheeks were warm from evening excitement. She didn't realize just how nervous she was with Inuyasha, considering their evening the week before. She touched her lips, they still tingled. She smiled to herself, letting out a nervous giggle.

“Oh Kagome, what are you going to do with yourself?” she whispered to herself. She walked away from the door and threw her book bag on the floor next to her bed, kicking off her shoes. She jumped into the bed and threw her face into the pillow, willing it to cool off.

As she rolled over and stared at the ceiling, she felt conflicted. How would she ever date a half-demon? Much less a full demon? They were terrifying. They were interesting, but terrifying none the less.

Who am I kidding? Kagome thought to herself. I doubt he would ever want to date me, maybe sleep with me…

She thought of that too. He had such a fantastic body and they had the chemistry, she knew that. She also knew that the night they made out that if she had pushed the issue, he probably would have slept with her. She knew that she had never felt this hungry for physical contact before, but she figured her hormones were getting away with themselves. She knew the different between love and carnal desire, and this was, in fact, carnal desire.

She sighed, resting her arm over her eyes. She was crushing on a guy she hardly knew, who could rip her to pieces if he really wanted. She knew he was dangerous to her body, as well as her heart, and she was fantasizing over a guy she had just met and barely knew. Hell, don't know at all, she thought.

She got up out of bed and stripped down, put on her bath robe and grabbed her shower caddy. A hot shower is what she needed to clear her head.

-*-*-*-*-

Sango sat inside a small coffee shop in Harlem, staring down at the intricately designed leaf in her coffee. The croissant was freshly baked nearby, if not in shop, and she could smell the beans roasting in the back. For Harlem, this particular coffee shop was reeking of pure hipster. Demons and humans alike lined up the walls, typing away on their laptops or eating the delicate sandwiches. The coffee was good, but to Sango, she was fairly simple. She liked her coffee cheap and easy, this coffee was elaborate and just… Ugh, why did Inuyasha want to meet here in the first place?

As always, Sango stood out like a sore thumb. Most of the people here were wearing plaid shirts, or dressed like… well, hipsters. Thick rimmed glasses, skinny jeans, spiked hair. Sango's hair was in the traditional pony tail, her eye liner was black with hot pink eye shadow and a touch of lip gloss. However, her fishnet shirt over a fuchsia tank top and baggy pants with chains and straps just caused most onlookers to give her a dark look for ruining the atmosphere in the posh coffee shop.

Inuyasha entered in disguise, wearing his long hair in a braid once more, the common thick rimmed glasses, a baseball cap to hide his face, a red plaid shirt and washed out blue jeans that hugged his thighs. He wore Vans shoes, which looked clumsy on the athlete.

Sango recognized him immediately from his awkward gait. He went and ordered a coffee and sat down, waiting for his name to be called out.

“Could you have picked a more hipster coffee outfit?” Sango hissed, taking a sip of the coffee in front of her.

“I wouldn't be caught dead in a place like this, and Myoga is undercover so I had to make sure nobody would recognize me,” he explained. She rolled her eyes and took a bite out of the sandwich, causing more onlookers to give her a dark look. She flipped them off and washed down the bite with another drink of the coffee.

“I wouldn't either, hence the attitude,” Sango spat. “What do you need me to do? Uusally you just text me with what you want.”

Inuyasha bit his lip. “It might be dangerous, but I need a human female to do the job.”

Sango shrugged. “Doesn't sound different from any other job you've asked me to help you with.”

“There's a possibility of death,” he mentioned off handedly, hearing his fake name being called.

Sango's jaw dropped. “Gerard? You picked Gerard? What the fuck kind of name is that?”

Inuyasha picked up his coffee and sat back down across from Sango. “It's a name nobody will fucking remember. We're hipsters today. I wish you would have dressed the part.”

“I'm not afraid of anything unusual.”

“I know that, and you should be.” Sango rolled her eyes and Inuyasha slammed his hand down on the table, causing a few onlookers to glance their way. “Women are disappearing, children are disappearing, and I need you to go undercover. You could die which is why I don't really want to ask you in the first place,” he hissed.

Her eyes widened. “You're really scared, aren't you?”

“I know you can usually take care of yourself, but one false move and they'll slit your throat,” he whispered. Sitting back and taking a sip of his coffee. “You're right, this place is super hipster. I feel like this place is missing acoustic guitars to fill the ambiance.”

As if on cue, a guitar player started playing the Ironman theme song.

“Of fucking course,” Sango muttered. They both laughed.

“We found out that at the fights and lights, they have a second basement where they're testing out drugs on young women for the demons to devour later.” Sango looked confused so Inuyasha began to explain. “Drugs have no effect on demons, but human blood is intoxicating to a degree, and if the drugs are in the system of a human, they cause euphoric effects. What's been happening is that homeless have been getting money for selling their blood to demons, but with the drugs they get far more. The houses will sell the drugs, which they buy, and they sell their blood while they're high to demons. It's a vicious cycle, since they have the never ending supply of drugs and need for blood, people will literally waste away in these clubs buying until they overdose, then the bodies disappear.”

“That's horrible,” Sango muttered.

“It gets worse,” he sighed. “They're starting to kidnap kids and force drugs into their system since young girls seem to cause a higher euphoric feeling, and apparently it's directly connected to a visitor coming soon.”

Sango nodded. “So you need me to pose as one of these girls to get information?”

Inuyasha nodded. “You can say no,” he said quietly.

Sango thought about it. “The problem is that the Thunder Brother's know me because I inspect their bar from time to time, so even if I wanted, I couldn't.”

Inuyasha felt relief. He let out a deep sigh.

“You could have Kagome do it,” Sango offered off handedly.

“No.”

Sango's eyebrows shot up. “Really? We don't even have to tell her you're connected, I'll just say the police officers—“ Sango began, but Inuyasha cut her off again.

“I said no.”

Sango threw her hands up. “Then I have no idea who. Speaking of which, have you talked to Kagome recently? She's been giddy for the past couple of days, but she won't tell me why.”

He smiled. “I walked her home from work a few days ago and she kissed me. She's far more bashful when she's sober.”

Laughter fell between the two friends. “Yeah, she's pretty innocent, even if she pretends she's not,” Sango admitted. “You should give her a call, I'm sure she'd love to see you.”

He thought about it. “I'd love to see her again. Bring her by my place tonight with Miroku. I'll order take out and pick up a case.”

Sango smiled. “You little demon, you.”

-*-*-*-*-

Kagome finished putting on the final touch of make up. She wore a creamy low cut sweater that hugged the right places and fell almost mid thigh, nearly covering up her short black school girl skirt. She wore knee high black socks and slip on shoes, her hair brushed into waves around her face and shoulders. Her make up was minimal. Sango said she was bringing her to a friends to hang out. Miroku was going to, so she was told. When she asked Sango who it was, Sango said not to worry since she had never met this particular friend.

She wondered if it was a guy or a girl, and figured that she should look somewhat nice for whomever it was. She looked at herself in the mirror and felt like she looked way younger than she actually was. She looked like she was fifteen or sixteen, and she sighed. Maybe this would deter any guy she met because he'd be afraid of dating someone too young. She grabbed her purse and waited for Sango.

Sango was wearing her normal, everyday wear, which today was a cropped long sleeve black shirt that showed off her flat stomach and belly button piercing, low cut black jeans that were tucked into lace up boots with five inch heels. Miroku was wearing a navy blue tshirt and comfortable washed out blue jeans and flip flops. His hair was tied in a low pony tail and he had his signature two gold hoop earings.

“I feel overdressed,” Kagome admitted. She was wishing she had opted for blue jeans.

“No, you look fine. Trust me,” Sango said with a wink and pulled her friend out of the dorm.

They walked the streets of New York for what felt like miles when they arrived at a building that looked faintly familiar to Kagome. She wanted to say she had been here before, there was a nagging feeling in her stomach. Why did this place feel so damn familiar?

Sango was smiling while holding Miroku's hand as they pushed the button to the penthouse. As they were going up, the nagging feeling just got stronger and stronger in the elevator.

Why was this familiar?

The door opened and they saw an all too familiar door. They got out of the elevator and rang the bell, and that's when Kagome realized where they were.

Inuyasha answered the door without a shirt on and low riding jeans. His hair was wet from a shower and he was rubbing his ears dry with a towel.

“You're early,” he said flatly, looking at the now blushing Kagome who was willing her skirt longer. He smiled at her, his fangs glistening in the artificial light.

“Whatever, dog-boy,” Sango said, pushing him aide and walking in. “Did you order the take out yet?”

Miroku and Kagome followed Sango in, but Kagome avoided eye contact. She remembered the last time she was here all too well.

“No, not yet. I didn't know what to order.”

Sango picked up the phone. “Give me your card, it's your treat, right?”

Inuyasha pulled out his wallet and flung a card at Sango. “Get whatever, I'm happy with anything.”

Sango smiled and dialed a number. She could hear Sango putting in an order for sushi and ramen, but Inuyasha just stared at Kagome.

Miroku saw the exchanges between Kagome and Inuyasha. Inuyasha very openly taunting her, Kagome being bashful and unable to look at him.

“Could you… ah… put on a shirt?” Kagome muttered. Inuyasha looked down at his bare chest and muscular abs.

“Don't you like the view?” he asked her, a crooked smile on his face.

“I can… ah…” She was trying to say something, but her face was so bright red and her mouth was unwilling to say it.

“Your pubes are showing, asshat,” Sango yelled across the room, continuing the order. Miroku had to turn to laugh and Inuyasha looked down and realized that his jeans were so low that the top of his pubic hairline was showing.

He continued to smile. “Well, I guess I need a belt to hold these pants up,” he said dully. He walked away and came out a few minutes later with an oversized tshirt and, from what Kagome could tell, a belt to hold up the low riders.

Kagome sighed in relief. The carnal desire in her stomach betrayed her earlier and she was sure Inuyasha could sense it. Sango went into the fridge and pulled out a few beers, handing one to Miroku and Kagome.

“I know beer doesn't do anything for you,” Sango said. “Do you have any sake?”

Inuyasha walked into the kitchen and pulled out a small barrel that looked to be about a hundred years old.

“I bought this in Japan before world war II. It's a spring plum wine. How about I start chilling it and we drink it with dinner?” The group nodded in agreement and he placed it in the fridge, pulling out a cheap bottle of sake.

They all sat at the table, Kagome nursing her beer slowly. After the last time she drank with the half demon, she nearly made a complete fool of herself. She wanted to make sure that there were no mistakes this time. She wanted to take things slow with Inuyasha, if anything even came of dating the dog demon.

Inuyasha pulled out a Go board and they began to play, Miroku and Sango played each other first, but Kagome eventually found her way sitting next to Inuyasha.

He had a musk that Kagome could hardly resist. To her it smelled of the forest, fresh pine and light wood smoke. When she closed her eyes, smelling him, she could almost imagine the fresh mountain air, the coursing rivers, the tall trees surrounding her. The smell was so manly, so enticing. She let out a soft sigh and Sango began to laugh.

“You notice he smells delicious too, eh?” Sango asked. Kagome felt herself blush once more.

“Relax,” Inuyasha responded. “Demons have a natural odor to attract humans. Some use it to attract humans as nourishment, others use it to attract lovers. Depends on the demons.”

“Isn't that why you usually avoid dating humans, Inuyasha?” Miroku asked with a wink. “You feel like you're not playing fair?”

“Keh, I don't date humans because last time I did, I outlived her by nearly five hundred years.”

Kagome just about fell out of her seat. “Five hundred years?!” she screamed.

He raised his eyebrows. “Yeah, I'm seven hundred years old. My mother was a feudal princess, my father was the lord of the western lands.”

Kagome felt herself getting dizzy at the thought. “I had no idea demons could live so long,” she said, trying to imagine a being living that long.

He shrugged. “My brother is about two hundred years older than me. We're technically immortal, but easy enough to kill off.”

“Even half demons?” she asked, her voice shaky.

“Eh, technically we age, but for the most part we're immortal. I'll be forever beautiful,” He said, throwing his hair over his shoulder.

Kagome laughed and he smiled. She was feeling a little less guarded the longer she was there. Getting to know him in this way was far easier. He was so likeable.

“So, what happened to the girl you dated? Five hundred years ago?”

Everyone stopped and looked at Kagome. The look on Inuyasha's face went from playful to completely emotionless.

“She died,” he replied coldly. “It was five hundred years ago.”

The room was tense for a while longer, Sango and Miroku continued to play Go, but in the most quiet of fashions.

Kagome finished her beer, figuring that she completely ruined any chances of hanging out with Inuyasha again. Inuyasha got up and handed her another beer. She took it gingerly, lightly brushing her fingers against his claws.

That's when she realized it. When she really, truly realized it.

He was a demon. She was a human. While he was living proof of what happened when a demon and human got together, she realized that there was nowhere in this world that they belonged.

It would never work.

It could never work.

A/N: Soooo, what did you think? How do you like the plot thus far? I'm having a lot of fun dragging out the romance a bit more. Let me know what you think I can improve on or fix. Thanks!