InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny's Spiral ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of his friends and enemies. They all belong to the genius Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
 
Prologue
 
 
 
The field they stood in was once beautiful, green, and full of life. Birds and squirrels once roamed the field, doing what they will. Now, they all stayed away. All that remained of their once beautiful home was dirt, dead trees, and the putrid scent of over a thousand rotting bodies.
 
The wind picked up, signaling the coming of a storm. It rustled the small amount of yellowed grass that had survived the battle.
 
Kagome dropped her bow as the rain began to fall. The rain mixed with the blood pouring out of the bodies all around her. Slowly the rain began to clean the field, but in the process made it more depressing to look at as mud mixed with blood.
 
But none of that mattered to Kagome. All that mattered was the daunting task she and her friends had just completed.
 
Naraku was dead.
 
Kikyo's plan had worked.
 
The battle had been hard. That had been expected, since Naraku had in his possession the complete Shikon no Tama, the Sacred Jewel of Four Souls.
 
Friends and foes from all over the region had come to fight. The Eastern and Northern wolf tribes came. Along with Sesshomaru, Jaken, and Ah-Un. Even demons Kagome had never met before, but had also been affected by Naraku, had come.
 
In the end, it had all come down to Kagome. Since Kikyo had been killed by Naraku, Kagome was the only one left capable of purifying the jewel. The difference between her missing and hitting was the fate of the world, and all she held near.
 
No pressure.
 
Her hand bleeding from shooting so many arrows, Kagome shot her final arrow.
 
The arrow hit its mark. It purified the sacred jewel which purified Naraku in turn.
 
The quest that had brought she and her friends together, was over.
 
All that remained of the half-demon Naraku, was a large amount of flesh. Bodies belonging to demons, half-demons, and humans could be seen. As well as the completed Sacred Jewel. It was now shining with a beautiful, and pure light, just like it did when it was forced from Kagome's body on that fateful day.
 
As Kagome looked around the field, she saw everyone was injured - luckily nothing that wouldn't be healed in a few weeks - most smiling and others smirking in pride. Almost everyone's eyes sparkled with joy and the feeling of a heavy burden being lifted.
 
The only eyes showing different emotions were Sesshomaru and Sango.
 
Sesshomaru, who had begun to leave not bothering to alert Jaken, had his usual cold indifferent eyes.
 
While Sango's eyes did shine with joy and a lifted burden, they also shone with unshed tears and deep sorrow.
 
If you took on look around you would know why. Kohaku.
 
Kohaku had turned on Naraku a while before the final battle. After Kikyo was killed, he began to travel with Sesshomaru. When Naraku saw Kohaku, he felt opportunity dawn on him.
 
As soon as Naraku saw an opening, he ripped Kohaku's shard out. Kohaku's final words had been, `Good-bye, Sister Sango.' Those words instantly reduced Sango to tears and sobs as she fought.
 
The sound of Kagome's bow hitting the ground was enough to snap Inuyasha out of the trance-like-state he had been in.
 
He sheathed Testusaiga, and ran towards the center of the battlefield. He had a serious expression on his face and was looking in every direction, looking for something.
 
Sango, Shippo, and Miroku were leaning against a bare oak tree, that just hours before was a bountiful source of acorns, in an attempt to regain their breath and strength.
 
The idea of resting had never sounded as good to Kagome as did at that moment. Kagome began to walk to the tree and join the three.
 
When Shippo saw Kagome walking towards Sango, Miroku, and himself, he lunged at her shouting, “You did it, Kagome! You did it! You purified Naraku!”
 
“Kagome, you're bleeding,” Sango said. “Sit down so I can bandage it.”
 
“But what about all of your injuries? You and Miroku must be much worse of then me,” Kagome pointed out.
 
“I've already taken care of Miroku's wounds, and Shippo bandaged mine for me.” Kagome noticed the gauze and bandages wrapped around various places on their bodies.
 
“Okay then.”
 
Silently, Kagome sat down. Sango checked Kagome for injuries other than Kagome's hand. She saw nothing but scrapes and found the materials she needed from Kagome's medical kit.
 
It always amazed Kagome that Sango was so fierce in battle, but was so gentle and loving outside of a battle. The only that seemed possible was if Sango's demon slayer armor housed a ruthless warrior spirit, and took control when she wore it in battle. Or maybe it was the hiraikotsu.
 
Finished searching, Inuyasha came to sit with the people he had grown to care so much about. How they'd made him feel that way he would never know. They just seemed to slip into his life, and fit there perfectly.
 
“You have a fair amount of injuries, Inuyasha. You should have them taken care of once Sango is done with Kagome,” Miroku said.
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha said as a reply, while getting into his trademark position. Legs crossed, arms across his chest, and hands folded into his sleeves. “These wounds are nothing. They'll be gone by tomorrow. I thought you of all people would have learned that by now,” Inuyasha teased. He had a glint in his eye, daring Miroku to try and stump him.
 
“I fully realize that. Your wounds may be healed by tomorrow, but it would be best to protect yourself from infections in the mean time.” Miroku sent that glint right back at Inuyasha.
 
Since Inuyasha couldn't find possible comeback, he used his beat all phrase, “Keh.”
 
“All done,” Sango told Kagome.
 
“Thank you, Sango. You really didn't have to do that though,” Kagome said.
 
“Nonsense, I was happy to do it. Besides, you wouldn't have been able to bandage your hand without someone else's help.”
 
Kagome nodded and was about to stand up, when a hand on her shoulder stopped her. When she turned to see who stopped her, she saw Inuyasha.
 
“Hey, I have something to give to you,” Inuyasha said, not looking at her.
 
Kagome's mood changed from too exhausted to care to excited, and curious.
 
“Really? What is it?”
 
“This.”
 
Inuyasha dropped the Sacred Jewel into her open hand.
 
With that action, Kagome's newly found good mood, deflated. Only this time, she was depressed, not tired.
 
“Oh,” was all she had to say.
 
Shippo, now on Kagome's shoulder, asked, “Do you know what you're going to wish for?”
 
“I've thought about that for a while now, and I've finally decided what to wish for.”
 
Determined to find out what Kagome was going to do Shippo kept going. “Well then, what's your wish?”
 
“I too, am curious. If you've thought about it all this time, it must be a very difficult decision,” Miroku said, joining the conversation.
 
“I'm going to reset time,” Kagome revealed.
 
“What? I don't get it, Kagome. What would resetting time do?” Shippo said.
 
“I'm not going to reset all time. I'm going to reset this era, and I'll do it by wishing Naraku was never born.”
 
At that moment everyone grew grim. Shippo looked at his friends and swore people who lost everyone they cared about wore the same expression. It was also a look people tended to wear when they were about to lose the people they love to an execution. They were in the latter situation.
 
Shippo knew why they were sad, but he decided to help them out of this depression. They needed to see the bright side of this, and he knew Kagome was the best person to do that.
 
Acting un-aware of the consequences of such a wish, he asked, “Why does everyone look so sad?”
 
“You're smart, figure it out yourself, runt,” Inuyasha grunted.
 
“Inuyasha, sit.” Kagome turned to Shippo, “What he means Shippo, is that if Naraku was never born, we never would have met. Inuyasha wouldn't be sealed to the Sacred Tree. And if Inuyasha was never sealed to the tree, than I would have no reason to come to this era, since one of my purposes here was to free him,” Kagome explained. “My second purpose was to help defeat Naraku.”
 
Looking up at the sky, Kagome smiled. “But it's not all bad. Without Naraku and me in this era, all your lives would be better.”
 
Looking toward each of her friends when she talked about them, she said, “Miroku. Without Naraku, your family wouldn't be cursed, and you could have the family you never did.”
 
“Sango. It was Naraku's demons that slaughtered your village, and it was Naraku that killed your family at his castle. Without him, you could live happily with them all.”
 
“Shippo. Your parents were killed because of the Sacred Jewel shards. With Sacred Jewel shards the Thunder Brothers did whatever they wanted because the shards made them stronger. They killed your parents for their fur. So, without the jewel you'll have your parents.”
 
Shippo looked happier hearing the chance of seeing his parents.
 
“Bet you can't find anything that would make my life better,” Inuyasha said in a bitter tone, challenging Kagome to try.
 
“I can, and have,” Kagome stated proudly.
 
“You would live happily with Kikyo as a human.” The thought made Kagome sad, but it wasn't the image of Inuyasha living with Kikyo that made Kagome feel that way. Instead it was the thought that Inuyasha wouldn't know she existed.
 
It's the way it's supposed to be, Kagome reminded herself. Besides, she understands him better than I do. I don't even belong here, Kagome thought sadly.
 
“What do you mean as a human!?” Inuyasha shouted getting into Kagome's face.
 
“Isn't it obvious? If I make a wish that affects the now and the future, then the jewel would cease to exist!”
 
Getting into Inuyasha's face, she continued, “If I make a wish to erase someone from the past and the jewel exists at that moment, it would be pretty strange if the jewel vanishes while someone is guarding it! Understand?” Kagome finished.
 
Inuyasha was opening his mouth to retort when—“Sit boy!”—he was sent crashing to the ground.
 
“What about you Kagome? What would your life be like?” Sango asked.
 
“I would grow up like a normal girl in my time. I would go to school, do things with my friends and when I finished school, I'd get a job. Eventually, I'd even get married to a boy from my time.”
 
But whoever it is won't be Inuyasha, a persistent voice in her head said.
 
Normally, the thought of being normal, and fitting in perfectly would make anyone happy. But for a moment it looked as if Kagome was going to cry.
 
Shippo didn't miss that.
 
Inuyasha curled his hands into fists, and growled. Shippo knew Inuyasha was killing that guy in his head and Shippo could hear the pained screams of the one who tried to marry Kagome, and frowned.
 
He knew Inuyasha cared deeply for Kagome, and it was sad to think that Inuyasha would never be able to act on his feelings for her.
 
“What's your problem?” Kagome snapped at Inuyasha.
 
“Nothing,” Inuyasha said and turned away, re-crossing his arms.
 
“So looks like this is good-bye,” Miroku said.
 
Everyone nodded in agreement.
 
“Good-bye everyone,” Kagome said.
 
In what Kagome hoped was a happier tone she said to Inuyasha and Shippo, “Maybe we'll see each other again in my era.”
 
For a second Kagome was entertained by a picture of Inuyasha dressed formally for work in her mind. It was when he started talking politely that the image was shattered.
 
Both nodded, both hoping she was right.
 
With their good-byes done, Kagome held the jewel close to her and made her wish.
 
The jewel began to glow. The pink light grew brighter until no one could see their hand in front of their face.
 
When the light died down, Inuyasha, Kagome, Miroku, Sango, Shippo, and Kirara were all gone. The desolate, and lifeless field they had stood in moments before was once again green, with animals scurrying about.
 
* * *
 
A/N: I am kinda pissed of right now `cause my church's priest made a remark, and it made me very upset because it was out of line and offensive for people in their teen years. He's crossed the line from being an odd egg to on my `I'm watchin' you list.'
 
Anyway, how do you guys like the chapter? Is it good? Worth continuing? And if any of you are confused about the whole jewel not ceasing to exist, just let me know and I will try to explain it better. R&R
 
~Kelso