InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Devour Prometheus ❯ The Abandoned Shrine ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: These characters belong to Rumiko Takahashi and other associated companies.
 
 
Chapter Six: The Abandoned Shrine
 
 
Her head swaying gently with every jostle, Kagome sat leaning back against the gate of the rolling cart. Face slightly upturned, her half-opened eyes drifted over the jagged landscape of men who shared the wagon bed with her. Her fear of death abating once they took her prisoner, her mind was now freed to wander beyond the thoughts of her own preservation. Outwardly, she would regard them with the same aloof sentiment they granted her, but she secretly began to wonder who exactly they were.
 
Clothed in shredded black, the miko closely examined the dark warriors, realizing that their menacing presence had lost none of its quality as they crouched or sat around her. Their white masks providing equally ugly and terrifying imagery, had she not seen the fair face of the dying priestess earlier or heard the final screams of the men Sesshoumaru melted with acid, she would have denied the possibility of their humanity. Yet even as she stared at them now, she couldn't truly be sure that they were human, but instead shadowy apparitions of death that had ascended from hell to share her company.
 
The fluid movements and icy voice of the imperial-trained priestess however anchored Kagome's thoughts from further dissension. Ingrained in her from the rambling teachings of her grandfather to the expert training provided by Kaede, she had been exposed to a rich tapestry of culture and religion throughout her life. Despite how they might appear, these were human beings. Their purpose though failed her and the more she thought on it, the less sense it made. Warrior monks and shrine priestesses purified demons that they saw as enemies. They did not risk capturing them, especially ones as powerful and as deadly as Sesshoumaru.
 
Dwelling on the daiyoukai, her sight absently drifted to the crown of silver hair not far from her feet. Rocking with the moving wagon as far as his binds would permit, the youkai lord lay lifelessly under the wary watch of the guards. Doing her best not to draw notice, she concentrated on him. The tingle of youki that was uniquely his was absent to her senses and a pang of concern tightened in her chest. In her experience, even sleeping demons emit an aura and only dead ones emit none.
 
A rush of relief left Kagome in a quiet sigh when she saw a faint heave swell his chest. Without the hindrance of his armor to obscure it, she followed the steady rhythm of his breathing, relieved that the first breath was not a ploy on behalf of her eyes to ease her conscience. Guilt aside, she had done what she thought was right. Especially with the knowledge that the warriors were returning to find them, the priestess could only imagine the other less fortunate outcomes that could have occurred. Rescuing Inuyasha was her priority, but almost as important, she just didn't want to see anyone else die.
 
Sharp against the white silk, a strange arrangement of kanji that inked the daiyoukai's coat captured her eye next. The complex symbols were written in a circle that spiraled out between the lines of rope that secured his chest. Over his heart, an elegant ring was laced together by the single cord and at its center was the unmistakable character for heaven. Then as her sight lingered, the design created by the rope slowly revealed itself. The circle appeared to be the sun with its rays reaching out like waving tendrils of fire.
 
As sudden as it was opaque, the dark, heavy fabric of a guardian moved to obscure her view. Her gaze rising, she met the blank expression of his mask and the suspicious eyes that peered down at her from behind it. Slowly the man crouched, his accusing glare never releasing her even as he settled down onto the bed to separate her from the demon she watched.
 
The discomfort of his presence approaching its pitch, Kagome finally surrendered to his will, looking away to the star-dusted sky and silhouetted treetops. Feathery and delicate, the tips of conifers flowed by until the unexpected hard lines of a structure broke their irregular shapes. Indistinguishable under the dim, blue-gray light, but also the only semblance of civilization she had seen this deep in the forest, the miko wondered if it was this building hidden high on the hillside that they were traveling toward.
 
With a low bark, the driver slowed the wagon to a gradual stop beside a tall flight of stairs. Crafted from cement, the broad incline of stone steps rose straight up the small mountain to a gap of sky amid the trees. Red in color, a tall archway stood at the base. Constructed of two wide poles and topped with boards of wood that fanned up at the edges, the elegant torii gate marked the entrance of a Shinto shrine and Kagome's curiosity deepened.
 
Nimbly pouring over the gates, most of the men leapt down, spreading out to form a discouraging perimeter around the cart. Staying back as the others found their marks; a few grabbed the rear gate and lifted it up to free it from the bed. They then dropped it to the side and dragged out the stretcher, careful not to drop the demon lord cradled within it as they pulled it off of the wagon. Several on each side, they slowly toted him away, heading toward the first of many steps.
 
With a shambling gait, they passed under the tall arch. A ripple of blue magic wrinkled the air as they walked through the entrance, the glimmer dissipating swiftly once they were beyond it. Although it was a distinctly foreign energy to her senses, the miko was certain that it could only be a barrier.
 
Strong fingers finding her upper arm, Kagome was soon on her feet being pulled roughly to the end of the bed. The pangs of soreness in her tied wrists and elbows flooded her mind, but she bit down to stifle any whimpers as she walked. Guiding her to the edge, the hand then left her arm to give her an abrupt push and over the rim she fell. Meeting the arms of two men waiting below, she landed awkwardly on the ground as they caught her by each arm. A painful yelp she could not smother escaped the priestess as her foot twisted. Then without even a hint of concern, the men dragged her forward. Limping as fast as she could, she did her best to keep up so that she would not be pulled off her feet by their demanding strides.
 
Cracked cement and weather-worn edges under a blanket of pine needles, the disrepair of the stairs drew her notice and as she looked up, the peeling paint on the torii gate sealed her conclusion. Somehow it was fitting that such menacing holy men would take sanctuary in an abandoned shrine. As they approached the towering archway and the portal of unfamiliar magic that lay within it, an unexpected hesitation weighted Kagome's steps. However, uncertainty swiftly lost to their combined strength and she was thrust through the gate to meet the other side.
 
The eerie silence of the night was replaced with the cacophony of voices and sounds rising from beyond the crest of the stairs. Encouraged with another brusque shove, the miko stumbled forward and resumed her climb. Up the steps she went, her restraints foiling her balance as she struggled to keep from tipping over and tumbling back down the way she had come. The men though, were quick to right her every time she veered and soon they reached the summit.
 
Lit by the amber glows of dozens of fires, a sprawling camp greeted Kagome's sight as she stepped onto the stone yard surrounding the shrine. Blending from old to new, a wide assortment of buildings and shelters spread out before her and at their center stood a weathered pagoda reaching high toward the midnight sky. Along the fringes of the ancient shrine, clusters of tents were erected with the welcoming warmth of the many hearths separating them. Reflecting firelight and shadow but no shade in between, she spotted the profiles of men as they relaxed around the flames, cooking their meals or sharing a drink. Grand adventures mingling with lewd jokes, the overlapping din of their conversations seemed to prove their humanity almost as well as their revealed faces as they sat about to eat their food or down their sake.
 
With another push, the priestess' escort directed her toward a large, wooden building. Newer than the structures native to the shrine, it was plain and sturdy, constructed of thick beams and lacking windows. On one side however, there were wide gaps in the heavy walls, each empty space filled with interlocking wood bars. Her lame stride hitching, she swiftly understood where they planned to take her.
 
“I wish to speak with your leader. With Jianyu,” Kagome spoke up as they then began to drag her toward the prison, thwarted little by her refusal to walk on her own. “I want peace and have no intention to fight with him. I simply want to talk.”
 
Wordlessly, they continued on, ignoring her pleas. Frustration and anger swelled in the miko, intensifying with each sharp ache they wrenched from her sore arms as they yanked her forward on each side.
 
“Look here,” she growled furiously, “I can see that this was once a great shrine and I doubt the Shinto gods still being honored here would look kindly on you two for abusing a priestess like you are. What sort of warrior monks are you?”
“Ha,” one guard finally snickered, his sinister voice affected by an unexpected accent, one that reminded her of mainland China. “You speak as if we have regard for your Shinto gods.”
 
“You're not monks or priests?”
 
“Who we are is none of your concern and a silent tongue will ensure your survival this night better than one that flaps.”
 
Rare was a threat that she would heed, but the cold conviction that laced his promise effectively smothered her defiance. With some reluctance, she ceased to fight against their direction and instead began to walk on her own toward the prison.
 
Under the suspicious glares of the sentries who loitered there, the priestess and the men who escorted her approached the nearest cell. Through the wood bars, she peered into the dark room, unable to see even the ground beyond a step or two in. Overcome with uneasiness, she then rubbed her fingers together; imagining the feel of Inuyasha's lock of hair in her hand when she couldn't dip into her sleeve for it instead. She would find him and she would save him. No matter what happens, she couldn't forget that.
 
Releasing her, one man stepped away to open the gate while the other squeezed her arm tighter lest she had any ideas of escape. She however gave him no further cause for alarm and soon the vice of his grip lessened to a comfortable firmness. The door swung open, but before they could shove her in, a voice called out behind them. Pivoting slightly to see who beckoned, the guards looked up to find Kioshi and several other warriors who had arrived.
 
“Wait,” the masked priestess demanded in her typically cool and composed tone. Her billowing sleeves and pant legs fluttering, she walked away from her entourage and toward them, each movement carrying the same indescribable elegance, like a flame dancing on the wick of a candle.
 
“Kioshi-sama,” the man at Kagome's arm answered, “Do you require something of us?”
 
“Yes,” she replied as she finished crossing the yard to stand before them. “Her.”
 
“Her?”
 
“As a Shinto priestess, she is our guest and we would be ill hosts if we keep her in such filthy quarters and in the company of our enemies.”
 
“Of course, my lady. Where do you wish us to escort her?”
 
“Nowhere. I shall accept her as my responsibility. You both may be dismissed once you sever her bonds.”
 
“Are you certain that you wish for her to be freed? Perhaps we should--”
 
“Do you doubt my authority?” she interrupted abruptly and the men shifted nervously under her pointed question.
 
“No, we would not even think it.”
 
“Then release her.”
 
With a few tugs on the loops and ends, the ropes were loosened and slipped easily off of the priestess' arms. Relishing every bit of pleasure that came with their reprimand, Kagome wrenched away from the hands they had still laid upon her and joined the imperial miko's side. Not willing to invite any more fury upon themselves, the men were quick to stride away, eager to bask beside the welcoming fires of the outmost tents rather than under the icy glare of their priestess. A pained hiss leaving her lips, Kagome's eyes soon left their departing backs to examine the enflamed skin and deep imprints that marked her elbows and wrists. Her fingers ghosted over the patterns left by the ropes and with a tender touch she began to massage the abused flesh. When she looked up however, the masked miko had already begun to walk away, leaving her at the mercy of the unsavory guards loitering about the prison.
 
“Thank you,” Kagome spoke up after she caught up; realizing swiftly that keeping company with Kioshi was preferable to a camp of men who seemingly held no reverence for priestesses or the gods they honored.
 
“Your gratitude is misplaced,” she replied, “It is after all not my policy that spares you. Do understand that if it were my decision to make, you would be in a prison cell and not an empty one.”
 
“Then if I shouldn't thank you, I would like to thank whoever is responsible.”
 
“You will have your opportunity shortly. Jianyu-sama has requested your presence. We shall see if you disappoint him.”
 
More questions pressed at her lips as her curiosity begged to be sated, however the priestess remained quiet. The fortune of their leader's interest was one she couldn't do without and no matter what, she wouldn't jeopardize it. She would save Inuyasha and chance permitting, Sesshoumaru as well. So, she bit her tongue and wordlessly followed the imperial miko through the narrow spaces between the buildings as they headed toward the towering pagoda still quite visible over the thatch rooftops.