InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Did He Mean It? ❯ Did He Mean It? ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Inu Yasha does not belong to me. He and the characters contained within this fic belong to Rumiko Takahashi. Thank you!

Also-thanks goes to Monki-chan for editing this for me!

Did He Mean It?

A One Shot Fic

By: Lazuli

lazulidreamer@yahoo.com

Kagome leaned against the tree, pondering the other night, when Inu Yasha was human, and recovering from the spider youkai's poison.

You…smell good. Did he really mean it? She wanted to ask him when they were on the boat, but he became so grumpy that she didn't even bother asking. But…what if he did? And what did he mean by it? Her eyes saddened for a moment. It couldn't mean anything special. She was just a bother to him… a frail human who only had one talent that was useful to him, and that was detecting pieces of the Shikon no Tama for him.

Still…she could see that he cared for her somewhat. It was obvious…the way he protected her. He really meant it. Whether it was just for the shards or not…he did want her around, and Kagome was glad for it. She cared for Inu Yasha…ever since she had released him from the seal of the tree. She had seen him leaning against the tree, so peaceful looking…she had seen his intense anger…and his protective side. She had also seen the human side of him…when he was grumpier, but there was a gentleness about him that spoke volumes to her that he really was only a young boy…maybe a few years older than her.

A figure stepped into her line of view, and she looked up to see Inu Yasha standing there, his face closed off from all emotion.

"Kagome? What are you doing out here by yourself? Do you want to get attacked by another demon? I can't have you getting eaten or attacked by a youkai. They might take the jewel, and then where would I be?"

Kagome smiled. "It's okay, Inu Yasha. I'll make sure that the jewel is safe if I get attacked. You'll get the Shikon no Tama…"

A tear slipped down her cheek, and she was amazed to find herself crying. Why? Why would she be crying over the fact that he valued the jewel over her? She hadn't known Inu Yasha for that long of a time. She couldn't be anything special to him. But…she would give him what he wanted in the end. She would get the jewel to him if it meant ending her own life. He had saved her life countless times, and she owed it to him. It was her fault that his dream was destroyed.

"K-Kagome…what are you talking about? I mean…"

Inu Yasha looked flustered, and Kagome finally gathered her courage enough to ask him about the other night, and to see what he meant by it.

"Let's go, Kagome…I don't think you should be out here alone."

Kagome smiled. "Ne, Inu Yasha…you're out here…" Inu Yasha grew nervous. "Baka! I'm a hanyou! I'm not a weak mortal like you are!"

Kagome raised an eyebrow. "You aren't, eh? What were you the other night?"

Inu Yasha glared at her. "I'm not that now, am I?! I don't want to hear about that!"

Kagome stood up, facing him directly. "If it wasn't for all of us helping you out, you would have DIED! Do you hear me?"

Inu Yasha's eyes were narrowed in anger, and he advanced on Kagome. "I told you to run away, didn't I? I didn't ask for your help! I would have died! I wouldn't have minded. Then I could have been with Kikyo!"

Kagome's eyes widened, and she stepped back a pace. Kikyo…Kikyo…she had been Kikyo… but didn't Inu Yasha hate Kikyo? She was the one who sealed him away, against the Sacred Tree.

"Inu Yasha…" She murmured. Inu Yasha's eyes were closed as he turned his face away from her.

"Just shut up! It's none of your business!"

Kagome glared at him. "It IS my business! Aren't I supposed to be Kikyo? Ne? Isn't that what everyone says? Isn't that why you tried to kill me at first? Answer me!"

Inu Yasha whirled on her. "You are NOT Kikyo! Never! You are so different from Kikyo! Always! Kikyo hardly ever smiled or laughed…her scent was pleasant…"

Kagome glared at him, shoving one finger into his chest. "Oh, yeah? Then what was that garbage the other night, Inu Yasha? What did you mean that night, when you were lying in MY lap? Ne?"

Inu Yasha blushed, but she persisted. "Was it just a damn lie, Inu Yasha?! Was it?"

Inu Yasha grabbed her wrists. "It wasn't a lie! The lie was that I hated your scent! I like your scent! You…you have a pleasant scent, Kagome. Different from Kikyo…Kikyo…" He swallowed and looked away for a moment.

"Yes…I loved Kikyo. Kikyo is…dead, though…and…you are here…"

Kagome was seeing red. "I'm a replacement? If I stay here, I will always be a replacement for Kikyo! I hate her! I hate her!" She yelled.

"For the jewel, for you…for Kaede and the villagers. I can't be myself here?"

Inu Yasha growled, shaking his head at her stupidity. "Kikyo was Kikyo, and Kagome is Kagome! You are two different people! Isn't that obvious? I told you before that you are nothing like Kikyo! You are special, Kagome…"

He looked into her eyes and tried to explain it. "You are the one that freed me…and you decided to fight even when you had nothing at stake. You kept on coming back. I admire that, Kagome. I like you for you. Not that you were Kikyo. If you were Kikyo!"

Kagome's mouth dropped open as Inu Yasha held her tight against him, and she tried to make a sound come out, but it seemed that her speech was robbed of her.

Nani? What is Inu Yasha saying?

"Inu Yasha…" Her voice trailed off. "I told you a lot when I said that I liked your scent…I was lying earlier when I said I hated it. Kagome…it just hurts to see that you look so much like she did…"

He looked down at her tear filled eyes. "Kagome…how can I put this? Kikyo…was…special…she didn't kill me for one…she saw something in me that no one saw in me since my mother."

Kagome's eyes softened at that, and Inu Yasha cleared his throat. "Look, Kagome…I'm…not that old. You know that, ne?"

Kagome nodded shyly. "I know that, Inu Yasha. I guess I expected demons to act more mature than you did…"

At Inu Yasha's insulted look she giggled, then continued her train of thought.

"You're just a kid like me, Inu Yasha…who's been hurt, and has lost his mother…and the one that he loves as well."

Inu Yasha shook his head at this but Kagome was firm.

"You still love Kikyo. If she were to appear today, you would go to her willingly. But I understand, Inu Yasha."

She pulled herself away from him, her smile not quite reaching her eyes.

"Demo…I will be here for you, Inu Yasha. No matter what happens."

Inu Yasha hugged her briefly once more before jumping into the tree above him to contemplate Kikyo and Kagome. It was going to be a restless night.