InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Different Always Means The Same Thing ❯ One Hella'va Wake Up Call ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

MM.org note: Here's the next chapter for my crossover fic. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to leave a review with your e-mail. I'll be sure to give a personal response. Enjoy.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own anything!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
Chapter 2: One Hella `va Wake-Up Call
 
By Kenkaya
 
 
Inuyasha suddenly became aware of himself. He had been lying in the void for longer then he could remember. Scattered images drifted across his mind. A woman with long raven hair and soft violet eyes hugged him. Tears welled in her eyes, finding bittersweet release along the contours of her cheeks. Fire. Running. Pain. Something solid. Colliding. Hurting. Hard brown eyes. He was sitting in a tree, watching a young woman bathe. She knelt, an expression of hopelessness flittering across her usually expressionless face. Loneliness. They sat in a field together. Companionship. A promise. A future. He was running. The wind whipped through his hair as he leapt. More pain. An arrow. Her arrow.
 
Betrayal.
 
Alone again.
 
Warmth. A calming presence engulfed him. Touched him. Rubbed his ears. Sympathy and understanding flowed through the simple touch, rejuvenating him. Leaving him with peace of mind.
 
Then his body tingled. Years of stagnant blood coursed once more through his veins. Bones, brittle with age, strengthened back to their youthful state. He could feel his skin stretch back to form. His nervous system kicked back in with a vengeance. Pins everywhere. Poking. He didn't like it. Sound. He could hear crickets and strange rumbling noises in the distance. Grinding. Unpleasant. The breath and heart beat of each person around him (three by count) was painfully clear. The air stunk of old age and something unrecognizable. Foul. Sensation overwhelmed him. He stirred. The dim light of the moon filtered through his eyelids. They snapped open, eager to soak in the new wonder.
 
They rested on the three figures before him. Two were masked men, dressed in black. One was small and slender, the other large and somewhat malformed. But what captured his attention was the frightened, raven-haired girl against the wall. The larger man loomed over her like a predator. That girl looked awfully familiar---
 
Then he remembered.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
His eyes were beautiful.
 
Kagome nearly lost herself in the depths of wild amber. At first they looked inquisitive, almost child-like, with a hard edge to them distinctly his own. Then they focused on her. They widened ever so slightly; Kagome thought she spotted a spark of recognition. The amber, slitted eyes narrowed. A multitude of emotions painted themselves across the iridescence yellow irises. Kagome saw disbelief, anger, shame, and--- hurt? The features of his face contorted into pure rage, overriding the presence of all other emotions.
 
“What the FUCK?!”
 
The youkai boy switched his gaze to the slender masked man, breaking the spell. Kagome let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding. The masked man observed him for a moment and chuckled.
 
“Heh. Look's just like a puppy to me.”
 
“K--- Kouga!” The large man stammered.
 
The boy smirked. He reached one clawed hand forward. The snapping of dry and green wood echoed through the small structure as vines fell away from his body. Kagome saw bright red as green and brown crumbled away. Archaic clothing, not visible before through the ages of foliage, folded around his lithe, muscular form. The crimson cloth looked as pristine as his silver, white hair. Amber glowed dangerously in the moonlight.
 
“We're gonna DIE!”
 
“Shut up, Manten! Blast the bastard!”
 
“I thought you said---“
 
The boy leaned forward lightly. The last of the vines cracked as he landed on the root below his perch. Free.
 
“JUST DO IT, DUMBASS!”
 
The large man opened his enormous mouth. A golden light dimly lit the room. Kagome heard the crackle of energy; a static feeling brushed her skin and the little hairs all over her body were suddenly on end. She followed his aim, to the reawakened youkai, staring intently at the man who insulted him.
 
“Look OUT!” she screamed as a bolt of thunder shot toward the distracted boy. The boy glanced behind him nonchalantly and flipped over the blast. A blur of silver and red rushed Manten.
 
“Sankontetsusou!”
 
Five scarlet streaks sliced neatly across Manten's throat. The bulky figured gurgled and crashed to the ground as life pulsed out of him in torrents. Kagome's eyes followed with rapt attention.
 
“You bastard!”
 
Kouga surged with inhuman speed at the youkai. He broke his streamline momentum in an exaggerated spin kick. The dog-eared boy stood in place as the black-booted foot connected point blank with his gut. Kouga pushed off his stomach and flipped, ending gracefully in a kneeling position. His jaw dropped.
 
The youkai boy grinned haughtily and raised a hand.
 
“Weak.”
 
He grabbed Kouga's masked face with an open palm and shoved him easily into the wall. Wood splintered at the hard contact. Kouga slid to his knees, clutching his head. He looked up with throbbing vision.
 
Bare feet approached him. Slowly. Precisely.
 
Kouga panicked. He jumped up, ignoring his body's protests, and made a fast get away.
 
“Screw this! Naraku can do his own damn dirty work!”
 
The youkai bunched his muscles, prepared to pursue the fleeing mutant. All mercy was drained away in the heat of battle lust.
 
“Don't! Please!”
 
The boy halted and spun to face her.
 
“What?!”
 
Kagome gulped nervously. His voice was both smooth and harsh, as if he were trying to hide its gentle nature. She raised her chin and continued boldly.
 
“Please, I don't want to watch anyone else die. You've won. Just let him go.”
 
The youkai's feet padded against bare wood as he came closer. She stared him down as he grabbed her roughly and slammed her lightly into the wall. She kept contact with his intense eyes, so filled with anger. True, some of it was directed at her, but she sensed the majority of it centered around something more. The pain of the outcast. She knew it too well. Kagome mustered all of her empathy into that one stare.
 
His grip tightened, almost painfully. He clenched his jaw as if he were resigning himself to the task at hand. Kagome knew it would be a simple matter of phasing to escape, but somewhere deep down, she knew not to be afraid. She knew he wouldn't kill her. Beneath the layers of defense, he was a good person. She could see it in his unsteady resolve.
 
His amber eyes narrowed.
 
“So you don't want to watch anyone else die? Kikyou?”