InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Displaced ❯ Yellow Stare ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
As darkness descended, Rin’s hand crept its way into Kagome’s. Rin fell unusually quiet, and Kagome knew that even without miko senses to help her, little Rin felt that something wasn’t quite right. In the darkness somewhere, lost in the myriad of trees, a suspicious aura pulled at the corners of her mind.

“What is it, Kagome?” Rin asked.

“I don’t know Rin,” Kagome said, one hand tightening around Rin’s, the other around her bow. “But keep close to me, okay?”
“Okay,” Rin said, and she pressed herself into Kagome’s side as they walked, burying half her face in Kagome’s skirt.

Kagome and Rin froze at the sound of footsteps, huge crashing strides that rattled the earth and made the trees quiver and fall. Kagome readied her bow with an unsteady hand. She could feel Rin clutching handfuls of her skirt and shirt and tried to keep her own hands steady. If anything happened to Rin because of her inability to protect her, Kagome could never forgive herself.

The youkai battered its way forward until the line of trees in front of Kagome collapsed all at once. From the darkness came the tusked and gnashing mouth of an oni that Kagome recognized instantly. In the back of her mind she could hear Hakudoushi’s shrill laughter, though she wasn’t quite sure if it was real or if her memory was playing tricks on her.

“Oh no!” she yelled and fired her arrow, the arrowhead glowing a weak pink.

The arrow glanced off of the oni’s horn and the terrible beast continued to barrel towards them, unfazed by her attack. There would be no time to ready another arrow. She grabbed Rin and dived into the brush, feeling a massive gust of wind brush over them as the oni charged past. Kagome looked up to see the oni coming back around towards them. She grabbed her bow and was about to take another shot when she felt movement from behind her. Kagome looked over her shoulder to see that Rin was no longer there.

“Rin!” she screamed, her heart hammering against her ribs. She scanned the trees wildly for any sign of the girl but found nothing, and when she turned back around the oni’s tusks were nearly in her face.

She fired her arrow and caught the oni in the eye, and when she turned her head against the spray of blood she saw them, Sesshoumaru with Rin at his side, standing amongst the trees. The oni gave a furious roar, and when Kagome turned back toward him, there was a ball of shadows gathered in his palm.

“Oh, not again!” she yelled.

She could feel tendrils of that concentrated darkness reaching out to her. She could feel her mind begin to could, her senses beginning to leave her again. Soon she would be in the abyss, and there was no telling where she would end up. Before she could be consumed, she fired an arrow. It hit the side of the dark ball and dragged out a new tendril, but had no real effect.

Her eyes began to hang heavy, and she lowered her bow in spite of herself. Those tendrils of darkness crept closer and tried to wrap themselves around her arms. In what seemed like slow motion, she turned to Sesshoumaru and Rin. Rin was clutching tightly at one his sleeves. Her mouth was moving, but no sound was coming out. In fact, Kagome couldn’t hear much of anything. Everything was dulled by the oni’s power.

And Sesshoumaru just stood there. Couldn’t he see she needed his help?

She looked into his scrutinizing yellow stare and knew that she was on her own. If she didn’t help herself, no one would.

She readied another arrow, trying to shake herself out of the fog the oni was trying to place her in. She concentrated as best she could, letting the arrowhead glow a healthy pink. When corners of her vision began to fade to black, Kagome let the arrow fly.

It pierced through the center of the darkness, and the concentrated blackness was destroyed in a spray of pink light. Continuing on through it, the arrow pierced the oni in the head and there was another flash of light as he was purified. She gasped at the tangible sensation of her senses returning, like a battering ram crashing through the center of her forehead. She fell backwards to the ground a the same time she heard the oni’s body fall against the trees to it’s final resting place.

Kagome slowly turned her head at the sound footsteps, and she looked into the worried face of Rin, and the ever stoic visage of Sesshoumaru. Rin got her knees and tried to help Kagome sit up.

“Why…” Kagome struggled, panting. “Why didn’t you help me?”

Sesshoumaru grumbled. “You must learn to help yourself, miko.”

“You’d let me die just to teach me a lesson?”

“You are not dead,” he said and turned away from her. “It is a lesson well-learned.”