InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Done to Death ❯ Fate's Sense of Humor ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Done To Death

Chapter 3: Fate's Sense of Humor

The Lord sat in his big, official chair, glaring at the report sitting on his desk. The stupid outlaw was now after the missing princess? Curling his lip in disgust, he shook his head and told himself that he didn't care what happened to that failure. If he got caught, he couldn't expect to see help from him.

"Lord? Your daughter wishes to see you." Sighing as he stood, the man glanced out his window and watched his subjects work. Ironic that his brother was an outlaw, when the lands of his birth was where many Protectors were born and bred. Shaking his head, the Lord let a rare smile grace his face as his young daughter leapt into his arms.

"And how was my little girl today?" he asked, eyes showing his relaxed happiness that only occurred when he was with his family.

"Rin was good today! She picked flowers and made some new friends! Come play with Rin daddy!" Nodding, Sesshomaru allowed his young daughter to lead him to her playroom. He could worry about his idiotic brother later.


()()()


"So, Sango-chan, how long can I stay here?" Kagome asked as she slid into the steaming hot water, sighing in satisfaction. Pulling her hair into a bun, Sango answered, "Well, I'm sure that my family will take you in if you can cook and clean. Since we have to fight and train so much, my Mother and I don't get a lot of time to do the womanly chores around the house. You won't even have to pose as a boy! And, ever since you were born, Kagome became a popular name, so we don't even need to think of a fake alias! How `bout it?"

"Sure! If you'll teach me to fight. Mother and Father never really thought that it was ladylike to get sweaty, so I have no idea how to defend myself. But, if you need help on learning how to faint, sew, cross you legs, walk, curtsy, or be a `damsel in distress', I'm the one to call!" Smiling, Sango nodded and handed the princess a cake of soap and the two proceeded to enjoy their bath.


()()()


"Tree, rock, bush, bird, rock, chipmunk, bush, rock, squirrel, oh, and look, more trees!" Miroku said as he and his `boss' continued looking for the "lost" princess. Hell, she could have returned to the palace, been married and already have kids, and the priest wouldn't know any better. The two outlaws had been lost for who knows how long, and the vicar wasn't taking it too well.

"{sigh} And I had hoped to become a father before I died. Oh well, now that we're lost, we might as well make the best of it. This rock will do nicely, and this plot of ground will suffice. Now, what should I put? My epitaph has to reflect who I was, you know."

"How `bout, `Annoying bastard that wouldn't shut up, so his friend had to kill him so he could figure out which way the princess went and where they are'?"

"No, too long. I was thinking, `Sexy priest that women swooned over'. How's that?" Mumbling to himself, Inuyasha reached the top of a small hill and was shocked that he had ended up here. Of all places, he was led here. Fate sure had a strange sense of humor.

"Hmm? Why'd ya stop?" Miroku asked, popping up from behind the boss. Grunting, the head bandit started for the small village, deciding to check up on an old friend. Shrugging, Miroku followed, wondering if there were any pretty girls in this small, quaint town.


()()()


The two girls had dried themselves and were now dressed in casual skirts and blouses, while Sango tried to decide what to do with her friend's hair. Sure, for a boy it was fine, but for a girl… Sighing, she pulled out a blue handkerchief and used it to cover the princess' short hair. Nodding, she said, "As long as you don't remove it, no one will know how short your hair is. And if they do, we can tell them that you burned it." Smiling at the girl who was helping her, Kagome nodded in understanding and stood. Choosing a spare apron and placing it over her clothes, she asked, "What do you want me to do?"

"Well, I've told my Mother that you're here, and she agreed to let you stay, since you'll be earning your keep. Her name is Sai. My Father's name is Tomokazu and my younger brother is Kohaku. And you've already met Kirara." Sango said as she pet the tiny cat that was resting on her shoulders. Laughing, Kagome took in the information and waved as her friend opened the front door. Turning back, Sango added, "If you need me, I'll be training in the west field, the one closest to the manor." Closing the door as she left, the Protector sighed as she went over the day's happenings. She had lost Kirara, found a strange boy, realized that the strange boy was a girl in disguise, been told that the disguised girl was the runaway princess, hired said princess to be her family's housekeeper, and now she was going to go train just like she would any other day. Smiling, she looked down at Kirara and said to the cat, "Sometimes, I wish my life was normal."


()()()


"Inuyasha, where are we going?"

"To see a friend."

"Oh…" Miroku grinned as a sudden thought flitted through his mind. Nodding sagely, he said, "I see."

"Not that kind of friend!" Inuyasha yelled, bopping the priest on the head with his fist. "She's a childhood friend. I'll explain when we get there." Blinking at his friend's explanation, Miroku took time to observe the village that they were in. Strong houses, bright colors, protective manor in the background. `Yep,' he thought, `This village is well off. Best to steal from… Ok, that pot, that horse, those vegetables…' The `Holy man' continued putting prices on the many items until the dark-haired boss in front of him stopped and said, "Don't."

Looking away from a fat chicken that would make a wonderful meal, Miroku asked, "Don't what?"

"Don't steal anything from this village."

"Why not? It doesn't look like they have law enforcement, and their goods are well made. Why can't I steal from them?"

Sighing, Inuyasha turned to the clueless man and said, "The reason they don't have any law enforcement present is because they don't need it. Ever hear of the Protectors?" At the man's nod, Inuyasha continued, "This village is almost completely filled to the brim with them. Even that old granny over there. Don't mess with them if you want to remain a free man." Nodding, Miroku's attention was diverted by a lovely lady walking towards a large, open field located at the front of the manor. She was petting and talking to a small, crème colored cat resting on her shoulder, emotions of wry humor playing across her face. Miroku didn't even eye the rest of her body, he was too caught up in her smiling face. He was, simply put, enraptured by her beauty. As she rounded a corner and disappeared, he sighed and quickened his step, determined to find that girl after Inuyasha had met with this friend of his.

The two stopped several minutes later in front of a stout, sturdy house. The lawn was well kept, and the tree's limbs fell over the windows, giving the house plenty of shade. A soft singing reached their ears as the leaves rustled, creating a melodious harmony for the two bandits. Looking confused, Inuyasha said, "I've never known her to sing…" Walking to the door, he turned the knob and pushed it open.


()()()


"On the mountain was a treasure,

Buried deep beneath a stone,

And the valley people swore,

They'd have it for their very own."

Kagome sang lightly while she stirred the soup that she was preparing for Sango and her family when they came back home from their training. She had the table cleaned and cleared of everything except for the wooden cups, spoons and bowls. Before starting on the food, she had dusted around the house, yet left the bedrooms pretty much alone. All that she did in the separate bedrooms was make sure that the straw in the mattresses were replaced (if needed) and she had pulled the blankets over the mattresses tightly. Happy over her housework, she heard the door open. Not turning around, she said, "Yes? Just a minute. I'm finishing the soup." Grabbing some spices from the nearby counter, she smiled as she said, "You didn't train for long. I thought that I'd have some quiet time to myself. Ok, so… Who are you?" Kagome had finally turned to see two men looking at her. Her eyes widened slightly as she thought, `They're the guys that are after me.'


()()()

Just to let you know, I don't lay claim to the song `One Tin Soldier'. I just had to throw a song in there, and that one popped into my head… don't ask why…