InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drabbles and Babbles ❯ As the Night ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
As the night that knows no dawn falls, she kneels in the middle of a grassy field. The stars are bright overhead and the girl gazes up at them with a fatal sense of dread.

He comes, brilliant as the stars, distant as the twinkling jewels of a thousand burning lifetimes. His hand caresses the back of her neck.

"You have betrayed me," he whispers.

Tears sting her eyes. "I fell in love," she answers. The stars were blinding her, streaking her vision like the blade of a sword.

"You were foolish."

Her young lover was dead, just an innocent boy she'd met by the river. He'd said she was pretty and she'd let him touch her because she didn't think to say no.

Didn't want to say no. She wanted to say yes. Yes to love, yes to children, yes to the mortal life she'd been born to lead. She wanted to marry and grow old with her husband.

Her head falls forward as he stands behind her. The stars reflect in his cold eyes like ghosts over still water, bright but lifeless, pitiless, immortal.

"I still love you," she whispers.

She wonders if he'll grieve.

His hand contracts and he snaps her neck, fragile mortal flower, girl of sunshine. She slumps with her eyes gone dark; they do not reflect the light of the stars. Kneeling, Sesshoumaru brushes back her hair and places a chaste kiss on her forehead.

He does not grieve.