InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drabbles and Babbles ❯ Betrayal ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Just a short drabble-ish story for Reiku Toukijin. If you've never seen the third movie, you won't know who Takemaru is or care about the third sword.
 
 
"My lord," the young soldier murmured, dropping his eyes to the ground.
 
Sesshoumaru could smell the hatred that radiated from the human, hatred and more than a touch of fear. He cared nothing for the man's opinion of youkai, just as Takemaru cared nothing for the fact that Sesshoumaru despised humans. Chance had made them unlikely allies, but nothing more.
 
"He has been gravely wounded," Sesshoumaru murmured, looking away into the distance. The human kept silent, still staring at the ground. Sesshoumaru smiled ever so slightly, knowing the man's jealousy had made him irrational, if not a little mad.
 
"I will defeat him," the young man whispered, his voice bitter. "Even if I die, I will avenge my lady's honor." He raised his eyes to meet those of the youkai prince, looking him in the face for the first time. Takemaru thought he had never seen such cold eyes, such an expressionless face.
 
Youkai that could take human form were to be reviled, this one was no exception. He wondered again what kind of monster would betray his own father by coming here to warn him. They understood nothing of loyalty, cared nothing for duty. They were selfish beasts, rampaging animals in their true form. The precious love of a human heart meant nothing to them.
 
Izayoi-hime, he thought, his heart aching for her. I swear I will protect you from him!
 
“My father carries three swords,” Sesshoumaru said, his voice a dry and cold as the winter wind. “The first you need not fear for it is a worthless blade and incapable of being used as a weapon. The second is far different from the first. He will use it most certainly, but only out of necessity.”
 
Takemaru watched as a bitter expression flickered like a ghost across the youkai's pale face. “Necessity, my lord?”
 
Sesshoumaru waved his hand, an elegant dismissal. “My father dislikes the necessity of killing humans. Tell your men to scatter should they see him swing this sword, it is their only hope for survival.”
 
“My men are prepared to die,” Takemaru said harshly, his eyes glittering with anger. “They believe as I do and unlike youkai, they are honorable!”
 
“Youkai do not kidnap pregnant women,” Sesshoumaru answered, a sneer of contempt now evident in his cool voice. “Do not speak to me of honor.”
 
For a moment they regarded each other across the vast gulf of disdain and prejudice. Only their common goal could make them tolerate each other for even these few moments.
 
“What of the third sword?” Takemaru asked. “Will he use it?”
 
“One hopes not,” Sesshoumaru answered. His gaze darkened as he regarded the human. “It is a cursed blade and extremely dangerous. I bid you to not touch it. It will consume your soul.”
 
Takemaru swallowed against a dry throat. Youkai lords that transformed into giant dogs and cursed, soul-devouring blades, he wanted no part of this. If it weren't for her, for Izayoi, he would never consider challenging such a powerful creature as the Inu no Taishou. Humans and youkai were not meant to breed, nothing but grief and evil could come from such a union.
 
Grimly, he realized that she would never see it that way. The girl was blinded by what she thought was love, she would never see the creature she called husband as what he truly was, a monster. He would not be able to salvage her life, but he swore upon all he held dear, he would protect her soul from becoming as tainted as her heart.
 
“I wish you luck, human,” the youkai said as he turned and walked slowly away. “I do not expect to meet you in this world again.”
 
No, he didn't expect that he would. Takemaru frowned, glancing up at the darkening sky. The women of the castle had told him that Izayoi-hime's babe was coming soon; it was even possible her child would be born before the moon rose in the sky.
 
“What of the child?” he asked, calling after the disdainful youkai. “It will be born very soon and be brother or sister to you. Do you care what…”
 
“I do not care,” the youkai answered sharply. “Do what you will. The child is nothing to me. I only care for the swords.”