InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drifting ❯ Shadows ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
AN: This story was inspired one day while I was thinking about my sister. It has since evolved, but I still hold it very close to me. Any OOC action is explained in the story. All chapters are subject to editing. Thanks, and enjoy!
 
Shadows
 
Kagome stared at her ceiling, idly watching the shadows trace eerie patterns on her ceiling. It didn't bother her that she didn't sleep at night while she was home. Most things didn't bother her very much anymore. Nothing here was important enough to bother her. Her days felt like a waking dream while she was here. In fact, nothing in this world seemed real or even truly mattered to her anymore. Nothing except…
 
She closed her eyes. It was almost painful to think of him when he wasn't around. She had promised her mother that this time she would stay overnight before leaving, at least have breakfast with the family, but now she wondered why. How could I have said yes? How could I voluntarily stay away from him? She emptied her mind, trying to ignore the fierce desire to leave in the middle of the night. In the end, it just wasn't worth the struggle. I'm nothing without him.
 
She lethargically stood up and looked around her room. The unnatural light from the street lamps outside revealed old books, old toys, old interests. Nothing here was of interest now. She moved slowly toward the door, pausing only to scoop up a translucent old ball which she stopped to examine. The street lamps almost made it look as if it had color in it, but she knew better. The tucked the cloudy white ball into her pocket and moved on.
 
She avoided the old objects, reminders of her past life, letting her eyes fall on a binder of notes that her friends had passed to her in class throughout the years. She remembered saving them and meticulously storing them in that binder, as a reminder of all they had done together. Slowly she had lost interest in them, as well. The few days that she had attended class in the last year, she had sat quietly, ignoring their banter until they had finally given up on her. After all, she had had nothing to say. Now she quickly picked up the binder and flipped through the pages, looking at the meaningless words and doodles before she shut it and dropped it back onto the floor. She walked straight out of her room, ignoring the rest of the forgotten objects, indolently wondering when her friends had started to bore her. Or was it I who bored them?
 
She walked past her brother's room. She could hear him snoring softly through the door, unaware of her passage. Earlier that day he had tried to show her something or ask her something, she wasn't really sure which. She had pushed him off, seeking the solitude of her room. When she had reached her bed she cried a little, not for any particular reason that she could understand. Souta… she hadn't really talked to him since his 11th birthday, and even then it had been a short conversation; the whole time she had been itching to pass through the well. She padded down the stairs and out the door, avoiding the squeaky floorboards. Her body had long been programmed to navigate the dark house without making a single noise. She held a certain pride in her ability to sneak out, while at the same time swallowing the guilt that she couldn't stay with her own family for just one night.
 
Now as she approached the well, a small fear came over her. Her already slow pace became even slower. She turned to look back at her darkened house. The predawn light made it look as gray as she felt. Her mother would be upset in the morning, but it wouldn't be the first time. Kagome always felt guilty, but she could never stop herself. She couldn't feel alive in this place. She turned her head back and walked into the shed.
 
A letter sat next to the well with her name on it. She recognized her mother's handwriting, but she didn't pick it up. Instead she carefully walked around it, as if in an effort to pretend she didn't see it, and she climbed into the well. She knew that her mother had anticipated her departure, even with the promise that Kagome had given her. Kagome took one last look at the lonely letter, and dropped below into the time portal. Sorry, mama, I just can't stay. I just can't read your words. I can't feel any more guilt. I can't feel anything here.
 
She was bathed in the light of the well, and drank in the feeling. She was getting closer to him, and that alone could wake her up. In a few minutes she would be able to see him. Her whole body felt jittery with the anticipation. She whispered his name to herself over and over again.
 
InuYasha, InuYasha, InuYasha”
 
tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
AN: I do not own the rights to InuYasha.