InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drifting ❯ Come Together ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Come Together
 
InuYasha pounded a tree with his fist, rendering it into splinters. Baka, baka, baka! You could have ruined everything. She almost died out there with that damn taka, and it would have been entirely your fault. He shook his head in his utter annoyance with himself and the fact that he couldn't even admit to the real problem. Letting Kagome get mixed up with the taka wasn't the only thing he had messed up. Every time he blinked Kagome's words rang in his head. `I know you, InuYasha. I know you, and you know me. But… you don't want me.' It was being drummed into him over and over by his own traitorous mind, and the mantra was bound to eat at him until nothing remained.
 
But it wasn't true. He knew it wasn't true. Every bone in his body was tuned to her, everything he ever wanted existed in her. But how can I tell her that I… he didn't finish the thought. It will break her heart. He closed his eyes. I can't let her believe that I don't want her. I need to do something… something drastic.
 
Ttttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
Kagome eyed the huts around her warily. Most of them were repaired to a state where they were better than they had been before the attack. There was activity everywhere, and everyone was helping out his or her neighbor in a unity that could only grow from adversity. It would have been easy to forget what had passed if it hadn't been for the strained smiles on tired faces and the large graveyard looming over it all, containing the lost innocence of a town Kagome had come to love. Now she knelt in front of Shippou's grave and set something down with a small prayer of forgiveness, before furtively moving away.
 
The feather seemed to absorb all sunlight as it marked the child's grave.
 
Ttttttttttttttttttt
 
InuYasha followed Kagome, watching for a moment he could catch her alone. Something about the way she walked… she didn't seem happy, exactly, but she also didn't seem so extremely sad. Her movements were freer. It was as if all this time she had been oppressed by… something and now it was gone. But how long? InuYasha wondered, How long has she looked like that? He clenched his jaw. A long time, it's been a long time.
 
Kagome's footsteps took her to Sango's hut. InuYasha cursed as the stepped through the door. Those girls could talk for hours… Unwilling to sit patiently while Kagome and Sango caught up with each other, InuYasha returned to the forest and started his anxious pacing once again.
 
Ttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
“Really?!” Kagome shrieked happily.
 
Sango nodded, a pleased smile flowing over her face.
 
“I'll… I'll have to buy you a dress!” she squealed, “But… Miroku? He asked?”
 
Sango nodded again, growing happier and more confident by her friend's display of emotion. It seemed so long since Kagome had been so excited. She set down a pot of water over the wood stove before turning to admire Kagome's reaction a little more. She couldn't help but feel proud that she had somehow caused this change in her friend's demeanor.
 
“But… Miroku?” Kagome asked, incredulity ringing in her voice.
 
“Yes!” Sango said with a laugh, and the two girls sunk into a fit of giggles. Sango clutched her side as she struggled for breath while Kagome rolled around on the floor, holding her stomach as the laughs just rolled out of her.
 
Regaining her composure, Sango gulped down deep breaths and rummaged around, searching for a bowl of dried rice she had set out earlier. I know I put it here… but where could it have gone?
 
“What's wrong Sango?” Kagome asked, still gasping for breath.
 
A deep frown settled on Sango's face as she produced an empty bowl. Kagome looked at her face and then at the bowl and remarked slowly, “Is there something wrong with the bowl?”
 
Sango shook her head and set it down. That's the fourth time this week…It's that girl… Chiyo. “It's nothing,” she said, still frowning slightly.
 
Kagome nodded, still wearing a bright smile on her face.
 
“Sango, I'll go buy you a new dress!” Kagome restated, growing excited about the idea, “Something from my time. For the ceremony.”
 
Sango blinked quickly and brought her focus back to Kagome. “A dress? There really isn't much of a ceremony…”
 
“Well, I still think you should have something new and pretty for your new life. And we could still have a party… a feast or something.”
 
Sango hesitated.
 
“You don't want me to?”
 
“Well, I would rather make my own. With help, of course.”
 
Kagome nodded and smiled. “I'll get my sewing kit from home, then. It will be beautiful.”
 
“I really only want something simple.”
 
Kagome wasn't listening. Sango could tell she was already dreaming up dresses for Sango. She started to object, but suddenly changed her mind. If she could make Kagome happy, by just letting her do this, then it was worth whatever Kagome planned. Sango smiled to herself as Kagome designed Sango's perfect wedding.
 
Tttttttttttttttttttttt
 
Miroku strolled into Sango's hut and was delighted to see the object of his affection bending down in right front of the doorway, within perfect reach of his wandering hand.
 
It's too perfect, he thought giddily, his hand reaching out to stroke the bottom. As a strangled squeal rose out of his unsuspecting victim, something seemed to be amiss. Funny, she feels different today
 
All thoughts were bashed out of his mind as Sango brought Hiraikotsu down on his head from her vantage point behind him. Slightly jarred and with stars appearing before his eyes, Miroku slowly turned around to face his fuming fiancée.
 
“Sango, dearest,” he said, cringing as Sango's eyes narrowed, “I thought… but you… who is?” He pointed behind him to a very startled girl.
 
“You remember Chiyo, don't you Miroku?” Sango asked with too much pleasantness and a vicious glare in her eyes. “I've decided to take her into my home.”
 
Miroku stared at Sango in disbelief. Why in hell would she do something like that? “Any specific reason why?”
 
“Oh, just an agreement that I made with Chiyo,” Sango said nonchalantly, “She will have to pay me for the food she stole, and I'm letting her pay me in trade.”
 
Chiyo ducked her head and by her stance seemed to be trying to appear as small and insignificant as possible. Miroku was still having trouble understanding Sango's action. She's not one to normally hold grudges, especially with such a pathetic creature like this one…
 
Miroku studied the girl, and unlike most girls faced with intense scrutiny, she held her gaze on the floor and seemed not to notice. Her long dark hair was tied in the customary knot falling to her middle back. Her wide set eyes were so dark as to be completely black. Her nose was straight but flat, and led to full, dark lips. Her frame was so small that Miroku wondered if she had eaten a decent meal in weeks.
 
Miroku brought his eyes to meet Sango's again, though this time with understanding. Sango did this because Chiyo needed her to.
 
Sango turned her head and looked outside. “It's time for the lessons. Chiyo, you will accompany me and help today.”
 
Chiyo nodded obediently and followed Sango out the door. Miroku shook his head. Sango, do you even know what you are getting yourself into?
 
Ttttttttttttttttttt
Tttttttttttttttttttt
AN: BTW, I'm only going to respond to signed reviews to make it easier. It's not that I don't like you! ;)
 
Sorry for the earlier deletion… I just realized that I had forgotten a few things… needed to fix a few things…
 
Okazin: Yes, we may just have to bring in a relationship councilor for these two. :P
 
Lavender Valentine: * smiles *
 
Futekioosha: Are you going to tell me that you've never had doubts about someone's feelings for you? Lol, she's just a little paranoid is all.
 
DarklessVasion: Yes, but when his action is to hesitate… Well, we'll see what happens.
 
Sueric: Thanks, I'll have to be careful with that.
 
AN: I do not own the rights to InuYasha.