InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drifting ❯ Jolt ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Jolt
 
 
Sango gave a frustrated sigh and leaned her head against the doorframe. Another villager had just come to her with his complaints over Chiyo. Sango was giving the girl perfectly good meals which Chiyo would barely pick at, and then she would turn around and go steal food from people in town.
 
“Chiyo!” Sango called out. The girl appeared in front of her. Sango tried not to show surprise at the girl's ability to show up suddenly and silently. “Chiyo,” she said sternly, “You've stolen again. I paid for it, and it means that you will have to stay here even longer.”
 
Chiyo nodded without expressing any emotion. No matter what Sango said to her she never saw a change in her glazed over eyes. Am I getting through to you, Chiyo?
 
“Here,” she said, handing her a bucket, “Go get me some water.”
 
Chiyo obediently left as Miroku walked in.
 
“How goes it?” he asked, noting Sango's weary eyes.
 
“She's still stealing.”
 
Miroku nodded. “Give it time. She's not used to having a stable home. She probably thinks that you might kick her out at any minute.”
 
Sango nodded and rubbed her face with her hands. “I have to get ready for training.”
 
Miroku looked surprised. “You're training Chiyo?”
 
“What?” Sango asked, “Oh, no. I meant the normal training. You know, the one you never help me with.”
 
“Is that a hint?”
 
“Oh, no, Miroku. I wouldn't want you to face the shame of watching your students get beaten by mine.”
 
“I take that as a challenge, Sango-sensei,” Miroku said, grabbing his staff.
 
Sango just smiled and slung Hiraikotsu over her shoulder.
 
tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
 
 
 
Walking into her house, Kagome made a beeline for the stairs. All she wanted was a good shower. She turned the knob, relaxing as the hot water hit her body. Sango and Miroku, getting married… She sighed as she tried to ignore her own disappointment. Face it, Kagome. It's not meant to be. He couldn't make it work with Kikyou, he can't make it work with you. She poured shampoo into her hand and started viciously washing her hair, vowing not to think about the hanyou. I'm supposed to just be happy for Sango. She winced as she thought of the performance she had put on for Sango earlier. She hoped that Sango hadn't noticed how forced some of her happiness had been. But I am happy for them. They deserve happiness together.
 
Kagome flopped down on her bed with a soft sigh and a small yawn. I just want to sleep… Beds are so much more comfortable in my time, she thought happily, but knew that she didn't have time for a nap. Sleep was not on the agenda. She had to buy some fabric for Sango. And I want… I want to… talk to my mother. She sat up quickly. Where had that idea come from? She threw herself out of her bed and pounded down the stairs, looking for anyone from her household. Nobody home…
 
She sat down at the kitchen table, wondering what to do now. She had no transportation, though she supposed she could always walk, but more importantly the desire to see her mother could not be fulfilled. She sighed and stared around the room for a bit, when she heard a car drive up and stop. She didn't move right away, telling herself that anyone could just be parking in front of the shrine, what with the limited parking in the area, but when she heard footsteps approaching the house, she jumped up and threw open the door.
 
“Mama?” she called hopefully. A brilliant blush flew over her cheeks as she saw instead that it was Hiroshi walking toward her. He smiled and waved, seeming not to have heard her mistake, but Kagome was pretty sure there was no way he could have missed it.
 
“How did you know I was home?” Kagome asked, not completely recovered from her blunder.
 
“I didn't,” Hiroshi said, grinning. “I got a job here.”
 
“A job?” Kagome squeaked.
 
“Your mom got so tired of me coming over just to see if you were back yet just to have to tell me, `no' that she got your grandfather to give me a job. That way I would know when you were back.” He glanced at his watch. “But… it seems today the shrine isn't opening. He left me a note. So… since I've got a couple spare hours, do you have any plans?”
 
Kagome could barely answer him she was so surprised. “Well, I uh… I need to go shopping.” She blurted out. “For fabric. For a dress. For my friend. She's getting married!”
 
Hiroshi nodded, stuck out his elbow for her to slip her arm through, and took her to his car. Once he had started the engine, he asked her, “So what kind of wedding is this? Really fancy or just a simple one?”
 
“Oh, it's just simple. There won't be many people there… not like most weddings these days.”
 
Hiroshi nodded and said, “I know this place, it specializes in traditional kimono.”
 
“That sounds… perfect,” Kagome said. She peered at Hiroshi from the corner of her eye. Why does he always know what I need?
 
Hiroshi pulled over at an old looking shop, and Kagome noted that they were in the same part of town as that little teashop.
 
“Do you live around here?” Kagome asked.
 
“I used to. I know most of the people who own these shops, anyway.” Hiroshi shrugged, and then gave her a sly grin, “I can probably get you a good deal on whatever you buy.”
 
“Oh, there's no need,” Kagome said quickly.
 
“It's no problem. I was always taught to do for others whatever you can. You wouldn't let me shame my mother now, would you?”
 
Kagome smiled a little before shaking her head. She still had the intense desire to ditch Hiroshi and find her own mother, but she knew that she couldn't do that now. “She sounds like a great woman, your mother.”
 
“Oh, she is,” Hiroshi said with a wink, and held open the door to the shop.
 
Kagome entered the store, and at first marveled the style of the front room. It reminded her of the old houses of the rich people back across the well. Out of habit, she slipped off her shoes and wandered around, admiring the patterns and styles of kimono. She passed her fingers over the smooth fabrics, wondering which one would suit Sango best.
 
The shop-owner walked over to her, holding an exquisite dress. “I believe that this would suit well, miss.” As Kagome looked over the fabric he held, she didn't even bother to wonder how he had known what she was looking for. The fabric for the kimono was white with light purple flowers weaving along the hemline. The obi was the same color as the pink in Sango's slaying outfit.
 
“It's perfect,” Kagome whispered. It was simple enough to suit Sango's tastes, but at the same time she knew that it would more beautiful on her than any other more elaborate dress.
 
The shopkeeper smiled and beckoned her to wait while he brought out another swatch of fabric. Kagome hadn't been planning on making a dress for herself, but when she saw the gorgeous fabric, she couldn't refuse.
 
When Kagome went to pay, she found herself blushing as the shopkeeper gave her a huge discount. “For you dear, anything,” he said with a wink. Kagome looked over at Hiroshi, but he just gave her a smile and shrugged. Kagome could swear she hadn't seen him talk to the other man.
 
“Well, as long as we have time, do you want to get some tea again?”
 
Kagome nodded, feeling as if this was all some surreal experience and that very soon she would wake up.
 
The feeling didn't stop when they reached the teashop. In fact, it only seemed to increase. As she looked around the room, she realized the oddness of the place did not lie in her sight. It was more of a feeling, something that was out of place with this time. She started to concentrate on her aura and the auras of those around her. She could feel it, something that wasn't quite right. She gasped when she realized what had been fazing her. The room was filled with suppressed youki energy.
 
“Youkai,” she whispered. The room was full of youkai. Hiroshi blinked and stared at her, a smile touching the edge of his lips.
 
“Makes you feel at home, doesn't it?”
 
She stared wide-eyed at him, wondering just how much he knew about her, when something caught her eye outside.
 
“Mama?” she whispered. She looked at Hiroshi and said, “I… I have to go. My mother is here, I need to talk to her, I'll… I'll see you later, Hiroshi.”
 
Kagome rushed out of the teashop, forgetting the fabric that she had just bought for Sango and running across the busy street.
 
“Mama!” she called out, and her mother turned around to be forcefully hugged by her estranged daughter. She laughed and wrapped her arms around her.
 
“What is it, Kagome?” She asked, unable to keep the happiness out of her voice. Kagome didn't respond, she just hugged her harder.
 
When at last Kagome let her go, she simply smiled at her mother. “Can we go home, mama?” The woman nodded and put her arm around Kagome. “So much has happened…” Her mother squeezed her shoulder.
 
“Will you tell me about it, Kagome?” she asked tentatively.
 
Kagome bit her lip, and nodded. She knew she would feel so much better just to let it out. She didn't have to bear it all herself. She could feel the tears start to rise, but they weren't the tears of misery that had plagued her before. Feeling her mother's arm around her, she suddenly felt that maybe things would start to get better.
 
Tttttttttttttttttttttt
Tttttttttttttttttttttt
AN: My muses are unhappy. Although that might just have to do with some sort of urn… I must figure out how to appease them.
 
AN: Happy belated Mother's day! I'm sure you can see the influence in here…
 
 
Sueric: Hmm… yes… you shall have to see where it goes. I have a general idea… if the characters will comply…
 
AN: I do not own the rights to InuYasha.