InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drips, Drops, and Drabbles ❯ What's Good for the Soul ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
What’s Good for the Soul

He paused at the edge of the ruined village. The bandits had been here too. They were a ruthless bunch, stealing everything that could, killing everyone in the path, and burning anything left behind.

A frowned etched across his face, he made his way through the remains. Nothing was left, not even crows dared come near, and the smell of burned human flesh made his stomach churn.

Then he heard it, a whimper so soft and faint that, had he not been a taiyoukia he would have missed it. He turned golden eyes towards the sound, but saw nothing. The charred ground remained unbroken even by the wind.

Then she moved, raising her head. Large violet eyes looked up at him in fear, peering out from a half collapsed hut that had miraculously been spared the flames.

He was not sure what it was; her eyes, the lose of the late wife, or the fact that she was the first survivor he had found. But she pulled at his heart. Without a word he moved to her side and lifted the girl into his arms. She was no more the five summers old.

“What is your name, girl?”

“Izayio.”