InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Easy as 1, 2, 3... ❯ Renewed Hopes ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, but I'm sure if I did, my cat would really hate me instead of just dislike me! But then, if I owned Inu-chan, I probably wouldn't be a cat person.

.

.

Easy as 1, 2, 3…

Chapter Three

.

.

.

Later that evening, Inuyasha had finally talked himself into going downstairs to look for food. His long, beautiful hair was a rat's nest, and his shirt looked like he hadn't changed it in at least two days. Everyone's dream man, right?

He hadn't made it very far past the stairs though when his sensitive ears suddenly picked up a burst of laughter from several people. Very LOUD laughter at that, and coming from his father's study of all places!

Moving cautiously towards the unusual sound, he listened carefully. It certainly wasn't every day his father laughed like that. In fact, he NEVER did, which worried Inuyasha more than just a little. Had his father finally lost his mind?

His ears moving like little antennas, he finally started to pick out voices. The first voice he managed to single out happened to be his mother's, so he paid careful attention to what she was saying.

"Oh, this is priceless! (GASP) We finally find one, and you say she likes CATS?!?!" His mother continued to laugh along with his father, before another person in the room managed to answer her.

"That is the case." Miroku's unmistakable voice replied. "She had a rather fat one she called Buyo for a pet. In fact, before she went to bed I noticed she was even wearing very adorable cat PJ's!"

The laughter from his parents died as suddenly as it had started, and the lack of sound could be described as nothing less than ominous. If only Inuyasha had some clue what the heck they were talking about!

A moment later Lord Tai spoke up, and he did NOT sound happy! "You were spying on her in her ROOM?"

An offended gasp sounded. "Me, do something so crude? Of course not, I merely saw her when she went downstairs to get a drink of water! I would never sink so low as to peek in a girl's window."

Silence again reigned for a few moments before Lady Rumiko decided to speak. "For Miroku's safety, perhaps we shouldn't mention that to Inuyasha."

At that moment, the study door swung open and hit the adjoining wall with a loud bang, giving Miroku and Lady Rumiko a near heart attack! It didn't seem to phase Lord Tai at all. All turned to see the subject under discussion standing there, looking like he had just crawled out of bed, which he probably had!

Miroku began to splutter nervously. "Ahh, Inuyasha…um, what brings you in here? We were, hehe, just talking about you!" A drop of sweat rolled down his head.

"I noticed." Inuyasha gave his friend the glare of death.

"Not that it was anything bad, I swear!" Miroku hastened to explain. He knew better than to get a dog demon - even a half dog demon- mad if he valued his life at all.

This went on for several moments, and Inuyasha's glare continued to darken. Finally getting tired of watching Miroku slowly but surely dig his own grave, Lady Rumiko decided to intervene.

"Miroku, why don't you go…check on Sango?Or something!"

He didn't need to be told twice! Creeping past Inuyasha as if he were some wild animal about to pounce, Miroku dashed for the safety of the kitchen and Sango's lovely presence.

Once the three were alone, Lady Rumiko allowed herself to smile widely at Inuyasha. "We have some very good news for you!"

"Keh! Is Sesshoumaru finally moving out?"

His mother laughed lightly. "Oh, this news is much better than that, and I think you'll agree with me when you hear it."

Her son snorted again in disbelief, but waited for her to tell him whatever it was, curious despite himself.

After being silent for so long, his father finally spoke up with a rare smile on his face. "Your mother finally managed to find someone with miko powers." As if it were an afterthought, he added, "And she isn't 75, violent, has teeth, and she doesn't carry a cane!"

Lady Rumiko sweat dropped.

Inuyasha frowned, unable to believe what his father was saying. "Is this some kind of joke?"

"No, it isn't! I really did find one!" His mother hastened to explain. "Her name is Higurashi Kagome, and she lives at the Higurashi shrine on the other side of Tokyo. Black hair, blue eyes, and very pretty I might add."

"And she's under 75."

That earned a frown from his wife. "Hush Tai, you're only confusing him." Turning back to Inuyasha, who could only stand there in stunned silence, she smiled again. "She is WELL under 75. I would say she's about 16, maybe 17 at most."

Golden eyes wide with shock, Inuyasha couldn't get out a full sentence at that moment to save his life! "You mean…she…you found…"

"Inuyasha, you're never going to win points with any woman if you bumble around like an idiot." His father advised him.

"What are you waiting for?" His mother prodded, shooing him out the door. "I bet you want to go see her and I don't blame you one bit! Just behave yourself and don't do anything your father wouldn't do."

Lord Tai growled. "That's not exactly the best advice to give him dear…"

Walking out of the room in a daze and ignoring his parents' argument that had just started, Inuyasha almost crashed into Sango and Miroku as they emerged from the kitchen.

"INUYASHA!" Sango cried, nearly bowling him over! "Miroku just told me the news! This is exactly what you've been waiting for!"

This seemed to snap Inuyasha out of his zombie state, and the information finally registered in his brain for the first time. "It is, isn't it?"

"Are you going to go check?" Miroku inquired. "If so, may I recommend a tree right by her bedroom window on the south side of the…" He noticed the dark looks coming from Sango and Inuyasha. "You know, I think I'll go drown myself in the pool if you'll be so kind as to excuse me."

Edging away from them, he turned to run when Inuyasha barely beat Sango to the punch, so to speak, hehe…okay, bad joke!

"Pervert! If I hear you've done anything else I'll personally drown you in the pool!" The hanyou threatened. NOTHING was going to ruin this for him!

"I think he's unconscious Inuyasha."

"He deserved it!"

Giving the pervert on the floor a kick for good measure, Inuyasha ran for the stairs. He had a look of excitement on his face that Sango hadn't seen in a long time, like a little kid on Christmas morning. Before he could get far though, she called to him.

"Wait, Inuyasha!"

He jerked to a halt at the top of the steps, looking annoyed. "What, Sango?"

"Before you go on your little spying venture…"

"Yeah?"

"Do her a favor and get a bath! She'll smell you coming from a mile away!"

"Keh!" Despite the rude noise, he still made his way to the bathroom, determined to do things right. This was obviously that important to him!

After he was gone, Sango crouched down to examine Miroku. "Hey, are you okay? Wake up!" She slapped him on the face a few times.

Groaning, he shifted slightly closer to her. "San…go…"

She leaned nearer to him. "Do you need some help Miro- HENTAI!!!!!!!!!!"

Before Miroku's wondering hand could get in more than a small squeeze, Sango knocked him out cold! Whoever said dog demons are more dangerous than mere humans? They either must not have ever met Sango, or else they weren't a pervert.

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Inuyasha was dressed all in black (Don't think I can't see you drooling), creeping around the dark grounds of the Higurashi shrine. All of his snowy white hair was tucked securely under a black knit cap. It probably would have been better if he could have hid his nearly glowing gold eyes, but not even a dog demon could get away with wearing shades in the middle of the night and still be able to see.

Climbing the tree mentioned by Miroku (and grumbling the whole time about the fact that Miroku knew that much, even if it was a helpful tip), he located the bedroom window. Luckily for him it was hot enough for the window to be open.

Inviting himself in, he silently jumped from the tree branch to the windowsill, careful not to wake up the sleeping girl.

'So that's what they were laughing at.' He thought to himself as he noticed Buyo sleeping beside her, dead to the world. 'Figures the potential mate of a DOG demon would have to like CATS!' He was going to get teased about that one for a long time to come.

Inuyasha suddenly felt his mouth go dry as his eyes moved to the other figure in the bed. She was sleeping soundly on her side, her face turned towards him. His eyes looked softer than they had in a long time. To him, she was nothing short of beautiful…

Creeping closer as quietly as possible so he wouldn't wake up her or the cat, he decided to take a closer look. He couldn't seem to resist the temptation! He wanted to touch her…see if she was real. The thought that he might actually have a chance for a life with this girl completely bowled him over.

Reaching a clawed hand out, he carefully ran his finger down her cheek. His touch was feather light, and caused her to sigh and shift slightly. He jerked his hand back as if he'd been burned.

When she didn't wake up, he calmed down a bit, and bravely tried it again. This time though, he leaned closer so he could smell her.

'She smells nice…all fruity or something.'

He was so wrapped up in his little heaven, he failed to notice Buyo wake up. The cat, not liking this new intruder or his doggy smell, hissed at him, effectively breaking the silence.

Startled out of dazed state, Inuyasha moved back and to the side quickly, trying to get away from the cat. Not being careful enough though, he accidentally knocked her alarm clock off the nightstand!

*Rrriiiinnnnnggggg*

"Oh great! I gotta get out of here NOW!" He muttered under his breath, grabbing the clock without thinking. Running for the window, he jumped out just as Kagome stirred.

As he made his escape, Inuyasha managed to crush the alarm clock with his fist to stop its ringing. He breathed a ragged sigh of relief when the sound stopped, and turned to look inside the room from the safety of his perch.

Inside, Kagome blinked sleepily. "Buyo, am I crazy or is my alarm clock gone? I would have sworn I heard it go off." The cat answered her with a loud meow.

Inuyasha smirked. 'If she only knew…'

Kagome suddenly started to sniff. "What IS that smell?"

Inuyasha froze, feeling panicked again. 'It can't be me she smells! I took a shower just like Sango told me to!'

"It smells like…a wet dog or something…"

A small growl escaped his lips, and a clawed hand moved self consciously to his head of still wet hair, covered by the knit cap. "It's not my fault I didn't have time to dry my hair before I left."

Inuyasha watched silently for a few more moments as Kagome searched fruitlessly for her missing alarm clock. Finally giving up, she went back to bed muttering something about killing Sota in the morning for stealing it.

A satisfied smirk crossed Inuyasha's face, before making himself at home in the tree for the remainder of the night. "Just wait Kagome…" He whispered. "You're gonna meet you're dream man tomorrow…or should I say your dream hanyou…"

.

.

.

.

Read and review! I'm greedy and must add to all the reviews I have on ff.net, so that is why I started posting here. j/k ^_~