InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Egypt Bound ❯ The Dahabeeyah of Re ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, so just enjoy the chapter!
 
 
 
 
 
Chp. 18 The Dahabeeyah of Re
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
O you who are great in your bark, bring me to your bark, so that I may take charge of your navigating in the duty which is allotted to on who is among the Unwearying Stars…
 
----“Chapter for going aboard the Bark of Re” Spell #102 in the Book of the Dead, Papyrus of Ani (New Kingdom).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The harbour at Boulaq was bustling with men hauling every sort of produce or material imaginable from the small water-bound crafts. Some sailors were tending to their nets or sails, others were trying to hawk felucca rides from the tourists walking by. And in the middle of this dockside hub-bub was the Dahabeeyah of Re, proudly moored with the other private dahabeeyas. The body of the house boat was stained a light mahogany color with a golden wadjet eye painted on the sides along with the boat's name `Ain el Re (Eye of Re) in Arabic and English. Selim, followed by Hamza and Daoud and a few cousins of theirs were loading the luggage onto the vessel, which was no easy task. Sesshomaru stood regally on the dock, observing the careful handling of luggage and foodstuffs. The sun was growing low on the horizon, bathing the Nile and the Dahabeeyah of Re in shades of gold, orange, and pink. Inuyasha and the other three approached Sesshomaru on the dock.
“Ah, good, you've all arrived. Listen, Inuyasha, the plans have changed: you are to sail tonight before Naraku finds out that you're all gone. If we'd have waited until morning, that would've given Naraku enough time to act.” Sesshomaru explained.
“After the incident today, I think that is a great idea, “ Miroku answered for the group.
“Ah, well then, I suppose Inuyasha will introduce you ladies to the crew later, so I bid you farewell, and as the Egyptians say, Allah yisallimak, may God protect you.” Sesshomaru took Kagome's hand and kissed it, then followed up with Sango's. Kagome's cheeks went red, which did not go unnoticed by Inuyasha.
Inuyasha huffed at the scene and started down the plank. “Bloody hand-kissing nonsense,” he mumbled to himself before Sesshomaru called out his name.
“Inuyasha, come here for just a minute, I have to discuss one more thing with you,” Sesshomaru ordered.
“Yeah, what is it?” Inuyasha rolled his eyes.
“Make sure Selim brought the guns I sent with him, since you may encounter some trouble. I'm going to see if I can keep Naraku locked up here in Cairo, but I can't promise you he won't send his minions once he finds out you all are gone,” Sesshomaru said seriously.
“ I don't doubt it, he'll try something, we just don't know when. Thanks for the guns, we'll probably need them. And while we're gone, don't burn down my house goddammit! And if ya find anything on the site—“
“I'll let you know. And for the record, you're renting the house from me, dear brother. Nothing of that sort will happen I assure you.” Sesshomaru extended his hand for Inuyasha to shake. Inuyasha was hesitant at first, but then shook his brother's hand.
“You know Sessh, I've seen more of you in these past few days than I have in years, ironic isn't it?” Inuyasha said frankly.
“Yes, I suppose it is,” Sesshomaru agreed as he saw the captain, Hassan signaling that he was ready to sail. “Remember what I said earlier about Kagome, Inuyasha. Be nice to her if you want to keep your---“
“Concession, yeah I know,” Inuyasha interrupted. “I'll watch after her, but I'm making no promises, understand?” Sesshomaru let out a light chuckle.
“Send me a telegram when you reach Luxor, and I'll keep you informed of any new developments, “ Sesshomaru stated.
“Will do. See ya in a few weeks, insha'allah.” Inuyasha started down the plank and boarded the dahabeeyah. The deck hands untied the moorings and guided the boat away from the dock. Sesshomaru watched from the dock as the sails were brought out to catch the wind. “Insha'allah, a good phrase indeed,” Sesshomaru said to himself.
 
Kagome was settling nicely into her cabin, which had a porthole that let in the waning sunlight. She felt safer here than she had during the last few days, although she couldn't fathom why. She decided to kill some time and explore the lovely houseboat. Her room was one of two on the left side of the short and narrow hallway, Inuyasha's and Miroku's was across the hall on the right. At the end of the hall was the bathroom. She followed the hall into the salon/ dining area, which was furnished quite nicely. In the corner by one of the porthole windows, was a small pianoforte. Built in bookcases lined a whole wall, filled with various volumes of fiction and Egyptology. She supposed that some of the books belonged to Inuyasha. Seeing that she was the only one inside, with the exception of Sango, who was resting in her room, Kagome sat down at the pianoforte and started to play. And as her fingers tickled the ivories, she began to sing softly.
Inuyasha was on deck finishing up his debate with the cook, who passionately insisted on a heavy dinner of chicken and rice, which Inuyasha thought was much too formal. It was decided that they would dine on mezza and fuul before the vegetables went bad. After dealing with that business, Inuyasha started downstairs into the living quarters. Half way down the steps, he stopped as he heard someone singing and playing the piano. He peeked around the corner and saw that it was none other than Kagome. Her voice was clear and embraced every note it sung. Inuyasha hadn't heard a voice like that since his childhood; he remembered that his mother used to sing as she played. He stepped quietly into the salon and continued to listen until she stopped—which happened to be precisely when she heard the floorboards squeak and reveal Inuyasha's presence. She looked up at him like a child who had been caught with their hand in the cookie jar.
“Don't stop on my account! If you want to play then play, that's what it's there for, isn't it?” he insisted as he sat down on the plush sofa.
“Surely you came in here for some peace and quiet…I -I won't bother you anymore, “ she said shakily as she started to close the piano. Inuyasha got up and flipped the cover from the keys, which surprised Kagome.
“I said, you can play if you want, it doesn't bother me. I haven't heard a piano played decently in a while, “ Inuyasha said as he rested his hand on the piano forte. “Do you know any Chopin?” he asked as she met his gaze. It was then that time stopped for them both.
When Inuyasha looked at Kagome, he could've sworn that her face was never so soft looking as it was now. The last remaining rays of sunlight from the porthole shined on her ebony locks, and illuminated her delicate ivory face, making her appear ethereal. His gaze dropped lower to her lips, which were still slightly bruised, but to Inuyasha, the bruising and puffiness made her lips form an effortlessly sexy pout. He could see her thin, wispy arms outlined by the light that shone through her blouse sleeves. He felt his heart throbbing like a large drum inside of his chest. Suddenly, his mouth went dry and all the words he had stocked up inside refused to come out. He was so intensely concentrating on the angelic creature before him that, although he saw her mouth move, he heard nothing of what she said until she repeated it much louder the second time around.
“I said, yes, I am familiar with Chopin, what would you like me to play?” she asked. Inuyasha blinked himself back into reality.
“Oh, uh …how about Piano Nocturne in E? Do you know that one?” he asked hesitantly. She smiled warmly and readied her fingers on the keys.
“It was one of the first full pieces I learned, “ she remarked and set into playing. She could feel Inuyasha's eyes on her as he stood beside her. Not that she minded, of course. He was actually being cordial for once, and not the prickly brute that he normally was. A moment ago, when their eyes met, she swore that in those golden depths she saw something that resembled desire. It vaguely reminded her of the look he gave her when he saved her life in Saqqara, and it gave her butterflies. She wanted nothing more than to be in those arms again, as close to him as she was while ducking in the sand in Saqqara; but the question was, did he feel the same? His smoldering gaze said yes, while his general attitude said no---what was she to believe? Her heart felt heavy in her breast during the four minutes she played Chopin's Piano Nocturne, and even the air seemed much thicker than it had before Inuyasha entered the room; almost as if were electrically charged. Her fingers felt the weight of his gaze as she rounded out the last few notes; she looked up at him to see if her performance met his approval, and apparently it had: his eyes were still locked on her. She decided before she did anything stupid, she should try to clear the air first.
“Um, do you know any duets? You can play, can't you?” she said nervously. To Inuyasha, she didn't sound nervous; her voice was low and sensual. He hated feeling like he was in limbo—should he make a move or play it safe? She was practically inviting him to come and sit beside her on the small bench… to smell the perfume of her hair…maybe even touch the soft skin of her hands…or if she was particularly adventurous, maybe she would let him taste the sweetness of her lips again…'What am I doing? Here she is, like an angel, giving me carte blanche to sit beside her! Why isn't she arguing with me like usual? Why does she keep staring at me like she wants me to do something? I mean, I wouldn't mind…but would she? Goddammit this is driving me nuts! She is driving me nuts!' Inuyasha's inner voice screamed.
“Yeah, do you know Chopsticks?” he said shyly.
“I think so…maybe if I heard it once,” Kagome replied.
“Well, scoot over then! I'll take the low keys and you take the high keys. You just follow my lead, okay?” Inuyasha sat down next to Kagome. There wasn't enough room on the bench for him to sit properly when he noticed her bustle took up most of it.
“Hey, don't those things hurt when you sit down?” he asked.
“What things?”
“You know, that thing underneath your skirt. Why do women wear those bloody things if they just get in the way?”
“You mean my bustle?” she asked.
“Yeah, that thing. Do you have to wear it all the time? Can't you just take it off?” Kagome blushed and replied, “ I can't take it off. My dresses won't fit correctly if I do.”
“So what's the point of getting dresses that don't fit? I mean, does it have any real purpose other than holding up your dress?”
“The idea behind the bustle, is to make my waist look smaller compared to my hips, haven't you seen the Gibson girl prints?”
“No. But I don't understand—your waist is fine—you're not fat or anything!”
“Thanks. I'm glad to know that one person in this world thinks I'm not fat!” Kagome replied sarcastically.
“I'm only telling you the truth. You have a nice bod—er, you cut a nice, um---well, you don't need it to make you look good!” Inuyasha stammered, having turned ten shades of red by the end of his exclamation. Kagome smiled.
“Why Inuyasha, that's the first compliment I have ever gotten from you! Are you sure you don't have heat stroke or something? We should celebrate this momentous occasion!” Kagome exclaimed, clasping her hands together in delight.
“How's about we just play Chopsticks and be done with it? Eh?” Inuyasha suggested. Kagome sat near enough to feel the heat coming from his cheeks. `This is a first, I've gotten him all hot and bothered…wonder what would happen if I turned it up a notch? Hmm? I'd like to see him squirm for just a little while longer…just for fun,' Kagome mused.
“Alright, we'll play your Chopsticks, then, “ she curled her lips into a wry smile as he began to play. She caught on fast, once she remembered the tune. They were both doing fine until her hand accidentally caressed his while crossing over the keys, causing both of their faces to look like a pair of tomatoes. They stopped. Inuyasha's heart was pounding so hard in his chest he couldn't stop his face from moving closer to hers. Her brown eyes were focused on his lips; before she could stop herself she leaned in, his lips less than an inch away from hers…. When they heard fastly approaching footsteps, they immediately sat up.
“Oh man! I'm sorry! Were you two in the middle of something? Because I could come back later,” Miroku said. They didn't know that he had seen them sit up abruptly. Inuyasha cleared his throat.
“Uh, no! Not at all! We were just—“
“Playing Chopsticks,” Kagome finished Inuyasha's sentence.
“ I didn't know you played piano Inuyasha! You sly dog, keeping secrets from me all this time! Was Kagome teaching you?” Miroku asked, knowing fully well that they were playing patty-cake instead of Chopsticks.
“Yes I was! Inuyasha mentioned that he was a bit rusty and—“ Kagome was interrupted by Inuyasha.
“And I heard her play and thought she could teach me a few pointers!”
“Sure Inuyasha, I'm sure she did,” Miroku teased. Inuyasha kept his cool, despite the fact that his assistant was long due for a strangling. “Well, anyway, dinner is ready and should be here in a few minutes…where's Sango?”
“She's resting in her cabin. Poor thing let me take a nap earlier, so I'm letting her have the night off,” Kagome explained.
“Oh, well how nice of you! But she'll probably be angry she missed dinner,” Miroku conjectured.
“Well then, why don't you wake her up, Miroku?” Inuyasha teased. Miroku feigned a look of shock.
“Why Inuyasha! Do you honestly believe that I would creep into a lady's bedroom like a thief in the night?” Miroku shot back.
“Never stopped you before…although usually you got thrown out by the girl's father or brother…. once a lecher, always a lecher!” Inuyasha said wryly. He loved to tease Miroku, plus the old boy had it coming to him. Miroku, being the dramatic chap that he was, took it as an assault on his character. So, he appealed for sympathy from the other party: Kagome.
“Ugh! Can you believe the effrontery of that man? Certainly you don't believe that dog do you, Kagome?” Miroku made a show of his best puppy eyes. Inuyasha grew irritable at the mention of his being a dog. Kagome giggled at Miroku's dramatic antics.
“ Why Miroku, you haven't given me any cause to refute your claim! Both Inuyasha and I were witness to you giving Sango the feel at Giza this morning! Isn't that right Inuyasha?” Kagome remarked. Inuyasha gave his accomplice a grin.
“Yeah Miroku, as I recall, she slapped you pretty hard when your camel finally got up. Didn't give her the camel warning, did ya?” Inuyasha's grin grew wider as Miroku was attempting to stifle his blush.
“Oh, you saw that? Damn! Never miss a beat, do ya Inu?”
“Someone's gotta keep you on the straight and narrow when it comes to women,” Inuyasha replied.
“His hands do tend to roam where they shouldn't, don't they?” Kagome said, agreeing with Inuyasha.
“Hey, if you choose to wake up Sango, go ahead—but whatever happens is not our fault, right Kagome?” Inuyasha stated matter-of-factly.
“Fine, I will accept your challenge and raise you one; if I wake up Sango without any violent results, then I get first dibs on the bathroom tomorrow morning and both of you have to take 2 shots of whiskey each. If she does beat me up, it's up for grabs and no one takes the shots. Deal?” Miroku wagered.
“Alright, sounds good to me. But I think the odds are in our favor…what about you Kagome? “ Inuyasha answered.
“ I'm in!” she chimed. Miroku stepped lightly to Sango's door, turned the handle, and crept inside, closing the door.
“I wonder what on earth he thinks he's doing, Sango will surely beat him to a pulp!” Kagome exclaimed.
“I don't know, he is a lady's man…he's charmed his way outta some sticky situations in the past,” Inuyasha said. A minute passed as both Inuyasha and Kagome listened carefully for the impending uproar. Then another. And then another. The two looked at each other quizzically.
“Should we check on them? Things seem awful quiet…” Kagome asked.
“No, just wait for it. She'll blow up unless he's gagged her in there, “ Inuyasha chuckled.
“But I'm not concerned about him, it's Sango I'm worried about. I hope he hasn't tried to molest her!” she exclaimed.
“ I can't guarantee that he won't—he's already copped a feel twice as far as we know. And if he hasn't, can you hold your liquor?” he asked. Kagome had never tasted any kind of spirits before in her life, so she had no idea of how she would react to two shots of whisky.
“Uh, I don't know…I mean, I've never had liquor before, just wine with dinner, “ she answered blushing at the fleeting fantasy of Inuyasha making a move on her.
“What are you blushing for? It's just two shots! They're tiny fer Chrissake!” Inuyasha asked.
“I-I just don't know if I'll get drunk or not, that's all. “ Kagome's nerves were on end as it was, with her and Inuyasha being thisclose to kissing . She couldn't fathom what would happen if she was drunk! Inuyasha seemed to get uneasy as well and changed the topic back to Miroku. If Kagome knew what kinds of scenarios his imagination was churning out, she'd kill him.
“Hey, I haven't heard a peep from them, have you?”
“That's odd. Surely she would have screamed and smacked him by now, don't you think?” Kagome observed. Suddenly, they heard the door open and Sango shuffle out, wiping the sleep out of her eyes. A grinning Miroku followed behind her.
“Sonofabitch! You pulled it off, you little bastard!” Inuyasha exclaimed.
“You and your partner-in-crime owe me two shots and bathroom priviledges! I've come to collect!” Miroku smiled like a Chesire cat. Sango looked like she had no clue of what transpired between the three.
“Who pulled off what?” she asked innocently.
“ Miroku bet Inuyasha and myself that if he woke you up for dinner and you didn't beat him to a pulp, that we would have to take two shots of whiskey and let him take the first bath tomorrow morning,” Kagome explained.
“Sounds like an interesting bet,” Sango remarked.
“Oh I can hardly wait for the results!” Miroku chirped as the cook and a member of the kitchen staff brought in two platters of various dishes, flat bread, and a brown substance in four bowls. Another staff member brought out short glasses filled with a red liquid. Everyone sat down at the table, starting clockwise with Inuyasha at the head, Kagome to his left, Sango next to Kagome, and finally Miroku next to Inuyasha on his right. Sango surveyed the table (as was her habit) and something vital seemed to be missing. Miroku noticed Sango's quizzical expression as she continued her survey of the tabletop.
“Are you feeling well Sango? Don't tell me you're getting sea-sick!” Miroku jested.
“No, I'm fine Miroku, and I don't get sea-sick. Lest you forget, Kagome and I spent a few weeks on an oceanliner traveling to Egypt--- I think I'm used to being on a boat by now,” she said.
“ So why are you concentrating so hard on the table? I assure you that the food won't bite, “ Miroku smirked. Sango rolled her eyes at his stupid joke and said, “The kitchen lads made a mistake! There's no proper silverware on this table! “
“Of course not, “ Inuyasha interjected. “ Middle Eastern food doesn't require formal utensils. See that dish of flatbread over there [he points towards the middle of the table], that is your silverware.” Sango was shocked. To gauge her reaction, she looked over at Kagome, who was equally appalled.
“How horrid! Don't tell me that you expect us to eat like savages! What on earth are we eating, anyway?” Kagome exclaimed as Inuyasha grabbed a circle of flatbread, tore off a piece and dipped it in the brownish-black substance in the bowl. Miroku did the same, only he dipped his bread in a bowl that contained a tan substance.
“Dish iz fuul,” Inuyasha said while chewing. Both of the guys continued to grab and tear at their bread, using it to dip, scoop, and roll up various things out of the myriad of dishes on the table. Kagome and Sango were absolutely horrified at their lack of table manners. Inuyasha noticed their wide-eyed stares and swallowed his food.
“Are ya gonna eat or aren't ya?” he asked pointedly.
“Not until you tell us what all of this is, right Sango?” Kagome said.
“Right!” Sango affirmed. Inuyasha gave Miroku the “you'd better explain this” look. Miroku dabbed his chin with a serviette and cleared his throat. It was time for yet another lesson.
“Alright ladies, that brown concoction that you just saw Inuyasha eat is called fuul, which is like a thick bean dip. The bread he used is called khubz, and it's a type of flat bread. That mustard-looking dip in a bowl over there is called hummus, and its made from chickpeas and different spices, quite good actually. Those little things wrapped up in the green leaves over there are dolmas, which are a mix of rice and beef and spices wrapped in grape leaves; the small black things in the red sauce are olives in a spicy sauce, a Lebanese delicacy. That green salad over there is called tabouleh, and its made from parsely and tomatoes and bulgur wheat, which you cannot taste, it just gives the salad some substance. That white pasty-looking dish over there is babaganoush, which is made from eggplants. That plate of meat and onions over there is called shawarma, and that's made from a special mix of beef and lamb roasted on a spit. So, ladies there is nothing to be afraid of, it's perfectly normal, healthy food—actually healthier than what we'd eat in England, I'm afraid,” Miroku explained. The girls seemed to be less skittish after he explained what everything was. Sango, now assured that the food on the table was in fact edible, was still wary about the red liquid in her glass.
“Eh, Miroku, what's this in our glasses?” she asked.
“Oh, that! That, is karkhaday, a cold hibiscus tea. It's actually fitting that we were given karkhaday ,because it's a welcome drink; rather like when we serve tea for guests at home, I suppose,” he replied.
“Oh, okay,” Sango affirmed as she took a piece of khubz and scooped up some hummus. Kagome, although she was dainty in her eating habits, found that she liked this new kind of food and was now full. She felt Inuyasha's eyes on her once again as she sipped her hibiscus tea. He pushed the fuul bowl towards her.
Fuul?” he asked.
“Oh yes I am. I couldn't possibly eat another bite!” she said naively.
“No, I wanted to know if you wanted any fuul, not if you were full!” He chuckled at her faux pas, and soon Miroku and Sango joined him.
“Ahhh, what a lovely meal!” Miroku said as he patted his stomach. “Now, down to business! I believe that you two owe me two shots for my valiant effort. Time to pay up!” Miroku got up and sidled over to the sideboard. He opened one of the two large cabinets and pulled out a bottle of whisky and a shot glass. Kagome gave Inuyasha a pleading look. Sango witnessed the exchange and spoke up.
“Miroku, is this really necessary?”
“Of course it is. You and I both know that when one makes a bet they must pay up sooner or later.” He gave her a wink, which she seemed to understand. “So, who's up first? Any takers? Inuyasha?” Miroku was grinning. Inuyasha stood up and walked a few feet over to the sideboard.
“Fine, I'll show `er how it's done. Just pour the bloody thing and let's get this over with!” Miroku poured the golden brown liquid into the crystal shot glass and set it on the wooden surface of the sideboard. Inuyasha picked up the shot and downed it, slamming his glass down. He made a face at the potency of the alcohol, the aftertaste always got him. “Pour it,” he demanded.
“Now, Inuyasha, let's not get too hasty, it's Miss Kagome's turn now, “ Miroku needled. Inuyasha felt a flush coming on at the thought of his lips touching the same glass as hers. “Come on Kagome, you want to get this over with, don't you?” She rose from her chair sheepishly and approached the sideboard next to Inuyasha. Miroku poured another shot.
“Now just swallow all of it as quick as you can, `cuz it tastes like the devil, “ Inuyasha instructed. She nodded as she raised the glass to her lips, wincing at the noxious smell. “Don't smell it for Chrissakes, just suck it down! Fine, I'll count to three and you take the shot. Ready? One…two…three!” Kagome gulped down the awful stuff and felt a burning sensation in her throat. She hoped that her lovely dinner wasn't going to come up and greet her. She felt her face twist into a pucker at the aftertaste.
“Ugh, nasty!” she exclaimed.
“You did good, for a first timer,” Inuyasha coached. Miroku poured shot number two for Inuyasha, who within seconds, slammed his empty glass. `For some reason, the second one wasn't as harsh—` he thought. `Maybe because Kagome's lips were on it…' He couldn't ever admit to anyone that that was the reason why he didn't mind using the same shot glass. He prayed that he wasn't wearing his heart on his sleeve. Miroku poured a rather large shot for Kagome's last one. Inuyasha couldn't help but think that he was doing this on purpose. And by the look on Sango's face, he gathered that maybe Miroku was.
Kagome stiffened her resolve as she brought her last shot to her lips. She was starting to feel slightly dizzy already from her first one. She gulped it down and let the whisky burn her throat once more before she put her glass down in the same manner as Inuyasha.
“Yuck! I don't know how you two can stand whisky! Such a devilish drink!” Kagome spat.
“Well, at least we know that we won't have to guard the liquor cabinet, eh Inu?” Miroku joked. Inuyasha looked at Kagome and let out a small laugh. Kagome didn't think that last remark was too funny, and stuck out her lower lip in a pout.
“That wasn't funny Miroku, “ she remarked. The party in question was currently guffawing at his own wit with Inuyasha.
“Sure it was, don't tell me you can't take a joke Kagome?” Inuyasha teased. Kagome stiffened up and replied, “ Of course I can Inuyasha, only I tend to laugh at the village idiots, not with them!” The chuckling stopped, with the exception of Sango, who was having a nice laugh of her own. Inuyasha bristled at that precocious statement.
“Cheeky wench, “ he said underneath his breath. Kagome narrowed her eyes at him. She began to feel unnaturally warm and could feel the new heat coming from her cheeks. Maybe the night air would cool her down.
“If you'll excuse me, this cheeky wench is going to get some fresh air—it's quite stuffy in here,” her eyes zeroed in on Inuyasha's and gave him an icy look. She then headed for the small staircase that lead to the deck.
 
Ascending the short staircase was not an incredible feat, that is of course, unless you`re nearly ten sheets to the wind like our heroine, Kagome. The funny thing about alcohol is that it will hit you when you least expect it to, especially if you are mobile. Kagome did not know this and tripped on her skirt on the last two top steps. The others heard a hard thud and went to investigate. When they found her, she was trying to hold onto the doorframe for much needed support. It was a most pitiful scene.
Sango and Miroku looked at each other, and suggested that Inuyasha go and help her. He was not keen on that idea at all and was quite enjoying the idea of the pot calling the kettle black.
“Why don't you just help the poor girl, Inuyasha? The poor thing'll be there until she recovers for God's sake!” Sango insisted.
“Yeah Inu, I'll bet she's never had a drop of liquor in her life and will probably be sick if she doesn't get any fresh air! The last thing you want is for her to be sick! Am I right or am I right?” Miroku needled. Inuyasha looked at the pitifully drunk form of Kagome clinging to the doorframe. He looked back at Miroku who was standing beside Sango, both with arms crossed.
“Why doesn't Sango do it? You're close to her, right? I wasn't the one who insinuated that she was a drunk!” Inuyasha exclaimed.
“But you were just as bad! Plus, I believe your behaviour in the last few days towards Kagome has been rather horrendous, Inuyasha,and it would make things much easier if the two of you didn't fight like cat and dog during this whole expedition! I'm a maid, not a nanny for God's sake!” Sango pointed out.
“She is right, Inu. I know that you're not a complete bastard, but Kagome doesn't, and it would do us all some good if you two weren't at each others' throats everytime you decide to open your mouth!” Miroku concurred. Inuyasha put up his arms in a huff.
“Okay! Okay! I get the point! Jesus! I'll help the poor girl out ! It'll be my penance for being such a horrible person!” Inuyasha gave up and went to help Kagome, who hadn't moved from her spot.
 
 
Kagome had no idea that a plank of wood had so many grains in it. Focusing on that was the only thing keeping her head from spinning off into space. `What was in that stuff? My God! Who'd have thought that only two shots could put me into such a state?I'm so dizzy!' Suddenly, she felt a pair of strong hands grab her and lift her up from behind. She nearly fell backwards!
“Steady now! Don't lean back or we'll both go tumbling down these bloody stairs!” she heard a distinct male voice say as his hands were firm around her waist. `Who would come and help me? It's not Sango…definitely not Miroku's voice…it has to be…omigod! Not him?' her thoughts were running rampant at the conclusion that yes, that was Inuyasha holding her tightly and close to him---just like in the gardens and in Saqqara. “Are you okay, Kagome? Do ya wanna get some fresh air on the deck? Hmm?” Inuyasha's breath tickled her ear, sending lovely shivers down her spine.
“Yeah, fresh air. I wanna get some fresshhh air, “ she said. He helped her up the two remaining stairs and over to the railing on the deck. He placed his hands over hers and tried to secure them on the rail, which didn't seem to work since her hands kept slipping; so he held them in his own. Kagome looked down and saw exactly what she swore she felt, Inuyasha's hands holding hers. She grew flushed and dizzy again, even though the cool night air felt so refreshing against her skin. She rocked back on her feet and Inuyasha, seeing that she may fall, held her against him. Kagome let her head fall back onto his shoulder, and stared into the star-studded darkness.
“Uh, K-Kagome? Are you alright?” Inuyasha stammered. She was too close, and it was doing things to him. Sure he'd been close to a woman before, but that was a long time ago, and not nearly as innocent as his encounters with Kagome. There seemed to be a sort of beguiling innocence about her, like a newly bloomed flower. He could feel that now familiar flush coming on as she settled into his shoulder. But what she said next really threw him off guard.
“So, you my knight in shhiining armour again?” she said dreamily as she looked up at him.
“Eh-excuse me? Again? W-what do you mean by that?” Inuyasha could feel her warm breath against his neck.
“You been savin' me a lot lately. Do you really hate me as much as you act like you do?” Kagome asked. Inuyasha gulped as his eyes met hers. “Do you? I don't wanna like you and know you don't like me as much,” Kagome said softly.
“I-uh-I don't know. I-we just met a few days ago and well…I don't dislike you—“
“Then kiss me. Show me you don't like me. I have to know since you've been so damn confusing. I don't want you to hate me, not when we're here together. I need to know so I don't make a fool of myself!” Kagome blurted out. Inuyasha couldn't believe that this was the same girl who acted prim and proper one minute, then turned into such a spitfire the next! He knew that some people needed some liquid courage to do things they normally wouldn't, but he never in a million years thought that Kagome would order him to kiss her! If he kissed her, how could he act the same around her and still concentrate on his work? Could he even concentrate? But here she was, telling him to kiss her, to do what he wanted to just an hour or so earlier. She licked her lips absentmindedly as she waited for his answer. He couldn't believe it---she wanted him to kiss her.
“ I don't hate you, Kagome. I told you that at Saqqara. And I won't let you make a fool of yourself either…because then I would be a fool too, “ Inuyasha said in a low, sensuous voice. He shifted slightly, bringing Kagome close to his chest, and lowered his lips onto hers, tasting their sweetness. She returned his kiss fervently and felt his arms wrap around her tightly. Her lips were just as soft as they had been that night in the gardens, and Inuyasha had an inkling that this time he wouldn't get slapped afterwards.
 
Kagome was delirious with happiness when Inuyasha kissed her. Now she knew the answer to her smaller dilemma: that he really was as attracted to her as much as she was to him. The dizziness she had felt earlier, was transformed into euphoria when his lips claimed hers—and she didn't want him to stop. Not now, not ever. This time his passion was sweeter, and not as raw as it was in the gardens. His lips moved from hers and trailed smaller kisses on the corners of her mouth, her eyes, her cheeks, and down her neck. She felt as if she were on fire! Kagome let out a small moan as he kissed her neck. She cupped his chin with her hand and brought his face eye-level with hers. For a moment, they stared into the colored depths, and Kagome leaned in and captured Inuyasha's lips once more, not allowing him to get a word in edgewise, for once.
 
 
“Do you think he suspected anything? I thought we were a little too obvious, didn't you?” Sango asked as she sat down at the table. Miroku pulled up a chair to face her.
“Remember what we talked about? I told you that Inuyasha is dense when it comes to women, if we didn't spell it out for him, he would've probably left her up there!” Miroku countered.
“ I understand about the inheritance part, but what is your real motive, eh Miroku?” Sango leaned forward, her eye brows raised.
“ I want him to be happy. He buries himself in his work and doesn't get out much. I worry about him, especially if I were to ever get married—would he be alright on his own? He deserves for someone to really love him, he's spent too much of his life alone.” Miroku sighed.
“So you wouldn't benefit if he were to inherit?” Sango looked at him skeptically.
Miroku just snickered. “Sure, I would benefit—I would get to work for another year and actually finish a site! But I think you misunderstand dear Sango— I will get no monetary gain from his inheritance—I have my family's money to inherit and any proceeds that come from the lectures I give or the books I write. I am a self-made man, Sango, and the only thing I felt that I haven't completely earned is my position here with Inuyasha. That was an offer of a lifetime.” Miroku smiled at Sango.
“I didn't mean to make you sound like a criminal, Miroku, but when you're in a position like mine—“
“I understand completely. It is only right that you should be skeptical since you're the reason we're on our way to Luxor. Besides, if we get those two together, there'll be more time for us,” Miroku said as he slid his hand over Sango's. She stiffened at his touch and snatched away her hand. She wasn't all too sure about Miroku's motives when it concerned her.
“Are you sure you didn't have a bit of that whiskey yourself?” she asked sarcastically.
“Not a drop!” he said proudly.
“Good, then I won't feel bad when I do this!” Within seconds, Sango was on her way to her berth and Miroku was rubbing his throbbing cheek in shock. “She's a fierce one—but I can take a challenge, “ Miroku smirked.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A/N: The votes are in! And I have tried to deliver without compromising too much of the plot! It'll be interesting to see what's gonna happen the morning after, won't it? And yes, I know I have been slow updating, but I have been in final exam Hell and incredibly busy and tired. So I have tried to make my chapters longer to compensate for the length of time I haven't updated—this one is 12 pages long, believe it or not!
 
Oh yes, and while we're on the subject of chapters, what the hell happened to the reviews? I squeeze as much creative juice out of my brain as possible and only get 3 or 4 new reviews for it! My regulars (you know who you are) are consistent at least—and you have my utmost appreciation, believe me. But when I get reviews that complain about the lack of reviews—that's sad people. Really sad. How am I supposed to put out quality work if no one lets me know if I suck or not? So here is my final plea before this fic goes on temporary hiatus for a month (don't worry, I won't leave you guys in the lurch!) : Review!!!! Review!! Review!