InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Eien Ni Nakunatta Shunkan: A Moment Lost Forever ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Guess What! This story actually got 2nd place in the IY Fan-fiction Guild's Winter 2004 Competition for Romance: Alternative Pairing! I'm just shocked --- I never expected it at all. Anyway, thanks to anyone who was forgiving enough to vote for me!

Several stories have been yanked from fanfiction . net over the past month. If this srory should just disappear it's also at mediaminer . org, and soupfiction . net, and the Sesshoumaru: Killing Perfection site. I'm working on finding a few more places to post this story!

Thanks for reading and thanks for your reviews!

WARNING: Adult language!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 19: Kazoku no Machigai

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kagome wound her slender arms about Inuyasha's shoulders, clinging tightly and struggling to steady herself while he bounded swiftly through the snowy forest. She sighed irritably. With her advancing pregnancy --- and her rapidly growing belly --- these days, the hanyou was forced to carry her in his arms rather than astride his back whenever they journeyed over long distances. She was still not at all used to this new manner of traveling, and looked up longingly at HER bow and quiver. They were now practically out of her reach and slung over HIS back instead of her own. Gods --- she had never realized just how reassuring it had felt to carry a weapon until it had been suddenly taken away! Kagome pursed her lips crossly, and tried to remind herself that Inuyasha wasn't particularly fond of this new position either. First of all, with her body clasped tightly before him, his daring leaps were not nearly so fluid or balanced as before. And with his hands occupied, wrapped snugly about her back and under her thighs, he was robbed of the ability to mount an instant attack. Yes - Inuyasha was obviously feeling just as vulnerable and out of control as she was!

Kagome sighed again, trying desperately to remember what it felt like to be in command of her life, of her body, and most importantly, of her hormones. She shifted slightly in the hanyou's arms, attempting to stretch her cramped legs and find a more comfortable pose.

It didn't help. She was numb, she was nauseous, she was dizzy, she was tired ---

Oh --- cut it out! she chided inwardly. This new hold did have its advantages too! Her lips curled in a small, optimistic smile as she sought, as usual, to find something positive and encouraging in any situation. First and foremost, she realized playfully, being cradled in Inuyasha's strong arms WAS powerfully personal and intimate --- and --- AND it gave her a much better view of his current mind and mood.

Kagome bit her lip and risked another quick glance upwards --- and right now, her hanyou was most definitely NOT very happy.

Ever since that last violent skirmish with Sesshoumaru, she mused, Inuyasha was as watchful and fussy as a mother hen. It seemed she had caught those striking amber eyes studying her face nearly every other minute of this whole, grueling six day journey. And then, every five minutes he was asking how she felt! AND then, every TEN he was seeking to confirm whether or not she was truly being honest and was really, REALLY comfortable!

Inuyasha was always insisting that the group stop for long, frequent breaks --- all and all, seeming to be a far cry from the arrogant, irritable, pushy young demon she had first met all those years ago. Deep down, she suspected he just liked making camp so he could listen to the baby's heart-beat in the eerie, depressing silence that usually followed whenever they paused in their travels.

She turned to stare absently at the bleak, icy landscape as it blurred past. Inuyasha HAD really wanted her to sit this one out and go home through the Bone Eater's Well till he'd returned from the Northern Lands with Kouga's latest news. She had even debated respecting his wish for a short time! After all, Shougatsu was fast approaching and there would soon be a flood of additional visitors at the shrine. Plus, she had promised to assist Jii-chan with the bookkeeping, and Souta had asked her to help him study for his college entrance exams. AND --- and then she needed to lend Mama a hand with painting and preparing the new nursery!

But after all these years, and after all the countless sacrifices she had made, she couldn't go back NOW. She HAD to know the truth. Could it really be possible that Kouga knew where Naraku was currently hiding? And --- and how? She had so, so many questions and chewed at her lip thoughtfully as she tried to sort through and make sense of them all.

A few of the more ominous and troubling rose to the forefront of her mind. For instance, if that evil half-demon was finally choosing to let his presence become known, what horrors did he have in store for them this time? And --- and what about Kikyou? Was the undead miko still aiding him and did their uneasy alliance still hold? Kagome shivered in dread and worried expectation. She immediately regretted that small tell-tale action as Inuyasha peered down to search her face curiously. The miko patted his arm for reassurance and threw the worried hanyou a gentle smile, inwardly resolved not to let her doubts manifest themselves in her expression anymore. They all had enough to worry about without burdening one another.

She cast her gaze over Inuyasha's shoulder, focusing on the grim faces of Sango and Miroku as they galloped beside them astride Kirara. The usually cheerful couple had also become far too quiet and anxious of late. They were withdrawn and introverted --- completely focused on their own relationship. It was almost as if they knew their time together was growing short and they were trying to fill each and every moment with memories of one another. Whenever they stopped, Kagome noted that the somber pair would distance themselves from the rest of their companions. They would huddle close together in the shadows, arms around each other's shoulders, speaking only in the barest of whispers ---

Kagome swallowed hard, rather terrified for her friends and their future prospects.

Especially Sango.

Maybe the taijiya would feel a little better when her brother finally joined them? Thoughts of the young demon slayer stuck back at the village caused her to search out Shippou, Kohaku's current closest companion and partner-in-crime. She quickly found the fox a second later, relieved to see that he at least seemed to be in higher spirits than the others.

Unburdened by any additional weight, Shippou was currently racing nimbly ahead of the somewhat agitated Kirara, bounding along at a blurry, break-neck pace that now nearly rivaled Inuyasha's own.

Gods --- just look how tall and handsome he's grown! Kagome mused, glad to have found something happy to focus on for a change. She recalled that bright, long ago morning when she and Inuyasha had first stumbled across the fox --- orphaned, alone, and rather unable to keep clear of danger.

Well, to this day, that last fact hadn't changed, she thought wryly. He still had a habit of finding trouble. True to form, as soon as the fox realized she was watching him, he shot in front of Inuyasha, smirking back smugly at the fairly surprised hanyou.

"Damn, old man, you're getting slow in your old age!" he quipped, flashing his fangs. He playfully allowed a small streak of kitsune-bi to build about his form and increased his pace.

Inuyasha's nostrils flared, but surprisingly, he did not speed up in response to Shippou's clear and obvious challenge. "I haven't gotten slower, GAKI --- just wiser!" he countered with a sarcastic grin, leaping quickly into the boughs of nearby tree, just as Shippou crashed abruptly to the ground, sliding ungracefully across a hidden patch of ice.

"Serves you right, runt!" the hanyou snorted over his shoulder as he passed the downed fox. Kagome was pleasantly surprised to hear Inuyasha chuckle, and the welcome sound was soon followed by easy laughter from Sango and Miroku. For just one second, it almost felt like the old days! When they were younger, less jaded --- when they felt confident they could win ---

Her latest thoughts were suddenly interrupted as a series of loud howls began to echo up the snowy valley, and the miko whirled back around just in time to see many sinister, shadowy forms dart from the woods to encircle them on all sides.

Wolves.

"Keh," Inuyasha snapped irritably, his words directed to nobody in particular. "Nice welcoming party, huh?"

They continued to travel north in total silence once again as still more wolves broke from the tree-line to lope menacingly alongside them. The creatures' howls built to an astonishing crescendo, their calls an unmistakable alarm to their masters that outsiders were currently intruding into their domain. It seemed the wolves were attempting to herd them toward the rest of the pack, but judging by the glint of fangs and vicious growls, they did not seem particularly fond of the task. Kagome was certain that if the beasts were not under Kouga's strict command, they would have had a real fight on their hands.

Not that these creatures were any match for Inuyasha, she mused with pride.

She chanced another quick glance upwards. From the hanyou's grim expression and the obvious tension in his shoulders, she could tell he was entertaining the very notion of taking them all on right now.

There was another quick, clipped call from further down the valley. Without warning, their bristling escort vanished as quickly as they'd appeared, fading from view as they leapt up into the grey rocks along a frozen streambed.

In just a few more short leaps, the group cleared a frozen gully behind the retreating wolves, and together they all stared at the impressive sight of a towering frozen waterfall as it glittered in the fading sunlight. The wolves that had been tracking their progress were now gathered in a tightly-knit, snarling cluster, standing guard about a narrow crevasse leading through the ice.

Scattered groups of ookami youkai came flooding out from behind the falls --- the last to emerge being a strikingly lovely young woman with flowing auburn hair, sea-green eyes and a rather drowsy-looking infant curled contentedly in her arms. With an unmistakable air of authority, she surveyed her assembled pack, seeming to be rather perturbed by the clamor and commotion. At the sight of her new guests, however, her annoyance quickly faded and her lips parted in a wide, and very relieved, grin. "Oh! So you have come!" she called down to the assembled party. "Welcome!"

The miko smiled up at the woman in return. "Ayame-chan," she shouted amiably. Kagome pushed free of Inuyasha's suddenly rather constrictive hold and scrambled up the smooth rocks to clasp the taller woman in a firm hug. The wolf cub in Ayame's arms squeaked in mild protest in response to her tight grip.

"Oh --- sorry!" Kagome crooned, releasing the laughing demoness just as Inuyasha and the rest of her companions arrived at her side. "Ayame --- is this your new little one?" The young miko reached out in fascination, rubbing the sleepy infant's tiny toes, her mind still whirling over the fact that she would have a baby of her own to cradle in just a few short months. As if the wolf-child instinctively realized he was being admired, his eyelids fluttered open. Kagome gasped and smiled down tenderly. "Oh, Ayame, please let me be the first to say he's absolutely lovely," she murmured, rather taken with his piercing blue eyes. "Why - he looks just like his father," she added with another grin, stepping back so that the others could get a look at the cub. The wolf-demoness beamed conceitedly, while Inuyasha muttered a quick jibe that sounded suspiciously like, `Poor little bastard." Kagome turned back at him and glared, but quickly returned to staring at the child, too excited to really acknowledge the hanyou's little comment.

Fortunately, Ayame paid little heed to the sarcastic remark either. "If you think this one looks like my Kouga --- wait till you see the rest!" she answered excitedly, still glowing with a mother's pride. "They've grown quite a bit since the last time you were here!"

"Keh," Inuyasha huffed, his tone much louder this time. "Perfect. Just what the world needs. An army of pathetic yase ookami running wild!" Miroku elbowed him in the ribs as several nearby wolf-demons began mutter angrily while throwing them rather sour looks.

Ayame held up her hand to silence her pack, and then whirled around to cast the hanyou a probing and somewhat frustrated look. "Ohhh. Of course, it's going to be like this again, huh, Inuyasha? Shall we all place wagers as to how many minutes will pass before one of you has a black eye?" She laughed in exasperation and exchanged a knowing glance with Kagome. "If anyone has a right to be upset --- it should be the two of us! And, if WE could let this whole mess go, why can't you boys do the same?" She wagged her clawed finger under his nose sternly, and rolled her eyes when his defiant scowl persisted. "Fine --- suit yourselves!"

The demoness couldn't take the old feud too seriously. After all, there was nothing to be resentful over --- this ridiculous fight and petty jealously were never really about actually winning the heart of a certain particular person. It was just some stupid thing between powerful men who had somehow never quite grown-up! Just as she always did in the past, Ayame had decided it was best to ignore the immature rivalry. In anticipation of this little visit, she had already moved anything too fragile or precious out of her den. All she could do now was hope that no one ended up too badly bruised ---

"Please, come out of the freezing air! Come inside!" she offered politely. "Like I said there are a few MORE people I'd like you to meet!" The demoness eagerly ushered the cold, tired group under the frozen falls. The narrow doorway opened into a large, domed cave, which turned out to be surprisingly warm, cozy and dry, in spite of its great size and strange location. Ayame escorted them to the furthest corner of the cavern, down jagged, winding tunnels, and then on to a large den screened off by the tanned pelts of numerous youkai and forest-animals.

Kagome paused and drew a deep breath. Regardless of whatever momentous news Kouga was about to reveal, meeting with him was always an adventure enough in itself! Just as they were about to enter the partitioned room, a familiar whine filled her ears.

"Kagome-neesan!"

Kagome turned and smiled at the jovial faces of two young wolves as they raced to her side. At least some things didn't change, and, even after all these years, it was refreshing to know that Ginta and Hakkaku still accepted her warmly as one of their own! She tried unsuccessfully to hide her laughter as both demons blushed at their mistaken choice of wording and looked apologetically at Ayame. But the demoness only shrugged her shoulders casually and let the remark slide.

"Welcome, miko-sama! Kouga's been waiting to see you all for so long!" Hakkaku exclaimed, as Ginta nodded in agreement.

"Correct, boys!" Ayame stated loftily, moving to open the skins before the rough door frame. "Now if you'll excuse us, Kouga HAS waited long enough!"

"Ummmm --- gomen nasai, we don't mean to interrupt but --- Lady Ayame, may we speak to you for a moment!" Ginta stammered uneasily. "Our wolves --- they've spotted another trespasser moving across our lands and --- it's --- they've returned --- I think ---"

"Not here!" hissed Hakkaku, nudging dramatically towards their curious guests. "Kagome-nee --- er, Kagome-sama has only just arrived! They don't need to hear about `OUR' problems!" Ginta flinched and nodded contritely, as Hakkaku turned back to address his leader's mate. "Can we speak to you in private, my Lady?"

Ayame's eyes narrowed suspiciously, as she registered the stirrings of genuine panic in her cousin's voice. "Oh, of course!" She turned politely back to Kagome, Inuyasha and the others. "Please, all of you --- go on without me! Kouga's inside --- I'll return in a moment!" She cuddled her infant closer and then offered a graceful bow to all of her guests. She paused to affectionately tug on a lock of Shippou's long red hair as she passed, hurriedly disappearing down the corridor after her shaken lieutenants.

Alone again, the companions stood in momentary confused silence outside the large den, now unable to avoid hearing the rabble of familiar voices issuing from within ---

"Now, everyone --- pay attention, all of you!" thundered a deep, gravelly voice that was most definitely Kouga's. "Listen to Touchan --- for very soon you will all be face-to-face with the ugliest, stinkiest, most wretched youkai in all of creation --- an INU-YOUKAI!"

"Eeeewwww!" answered a piping chorus of children's voices in return.

"Yes!" shouted Kouga again. "That's right! A horrible Inu-youkai --- the most miserable monster of them all! A pathetic dog! Now --- who can tell me what a dog really is?"

"Ohhh! Ohhh! Me!" yelled a little boy. The whining, desperate edge in his voice disappeared as soon as he was apparently selected. They listened curiously in the doorway as the boy continued on in eager, practiced, sing-song monotone ---

"A dog was once a wolf! But its spirit was broken and now it's a yucky, yipping fake that begs for scraps and treats!"

Kouga's overly-enthusiastic voice bellowed out once more. "Ha! That's right, Kouki! You ARE brilliant, my son!"

Inuyasha's fangs ground together in poorly disguised anger and his hand clenched into a tight fist. "A yucky, yipping what?! Why that ---" He stormed forward with a violent gleam in his golden eyes.

Seeking to hold off this first inevitable fight for as long as she possibly could, Kagome sought to calm Inuyasha just as he was about to burst into the den. "Easy, sweetheart --- they're just children!" she interjected smoothly, glancing down and rubbing at her own belly, seeking to remind him that HE would be a father soon too.

"Just children?! Yeah! And Kouga is the biggest fucking child of them all!" the hanyou shot back moodily. With another growl, he charged into the room unannounced, setting off a collective gasp from a line of rather rambunctious and mischievous looking wolf-children.

"Temee --- Kouga ---" Inuyasha began angrily.

His planned outburst was interrupted as all of the children shot to their little feet at once, each fixing the annoyed hanyou with astonished glittering-blue eyes. "Look Touchan!" shouted the tallest boy, his thrilled tone clearly distinguishing him as the one who had recited on the `nature' of dogs a few moments before. "You were right!"

With a near perfect imitation of his father's swagger, the boy stalked forward, glancing back to his younger siblings for support. "It IS an inu-youkai! GET HIM!"

"Heh?!" Inuyasha blinked in surprise. He backpedaled quickly, but tripped on the many toys and mismatched pelts scattered messily about the room. In the next instant, he was charged by the horde of snarling wolf cubs and dragged unceremoniously down to the floor.

Kouga clapped his hands together and smiled in unadulterated glee at the chaotic scene HE'D created. "Ohhh! That's it, Akukaze!" the wolf urged, as he watched his old `nemesis' rolling on the ground in such an undignified position. "And, yes, Kousai --- that's daddy's girl --- BITE him harder!" There was an abrupt strangled yelp as the beleaguered hanyou continued to struggle to right himself under the wriggling weight of six, eight --- no, nine pups?!?

Kouga merely rocked backed on his heels, and happily allowed the pandemonium to continue to unfold. He smirked as one boy with distinctive striped-hair landed a rather good jab at the hanyou's gut. "Oh - that WAS a good punch. Hey --- wait a minute ---" The wolf-prince suddenly waded into the brawl to drag the freckled-faced child from the "battle". He pulled the snarling cub up to eye level by the scruff of the neck and quirked his head from side to side, staring intently into his face.

"Wait --- you're not mine --- are ya!?" Kouga asked brusquely, as he flipped the giggling child upside down. "Of course not!" the boy answered matter-of-factly. "My father is Ginta!"

"Ahhh! Oh yeah!" Kouga smiled, momentarily satisfied with his answer. The wolf's jaw dropped open as a new thought suddenly occurred to him. "Wait, BRAT! Then what the hell are you doing here at this hour!? I'M not feeding everyone, you know!" he shouted with an indignant stomp of his foot.

The child shrugged and then fought his way free, seeking to rejoin the rollicking pile on the floor.

At that very moment, Ayame returned, entering the room with Ginta and Hakkaku still following closely at her heels. The wolf princess' pale complexion flushed bright pink with embarrassment as she gasped in alarm at the frenzied state of her young and the disastrous condition of her den. It appeared that her children were currently engaged in another furious tussle and --- and at the bottom of the pile she caught the distinctive flash of red and white. Inuyasha?

"Hey --- what's going on in here?! Kouga, this is no way to treat our company!" Ayame cried, thrusting her infant into the arms of a bemused Miroku. She pushed past her still rather stunned (or, in Miroku and Shippou's cases, rather delighted) visitors and raced towards the children, dragging them back two at a time. "Choukyosei --- let go of his ear! Right now, young man, I MEAN it!"

Several grumbling whines (and a few light swats) later, she had forced them to release the sweating hanyou, and Inuyasha was finally able to roll back to his feet with a weary gasp. "Kouga! Real mature," he panted, readjusting his rumpled haori. "Siccing a bunch of ankle-biters on me because you're still too much of a coward to take me on yourself?! You fucking son of a bitch!"

The wolf merely smiled with feigned innocence, and picked up one tiny and thoughtful-looking girl --- the only child to have stayed at his side and out of the impromptu brawl. "Watch your language in front of my little ones, Inukkoro!"

"Little ones! I don't see any little ones! Just wicked little MONSTERS!" Inuyasha bellowed, glancing down at the row of suddenly way-too-innocent looking children that were staring back at him far too sweetly. At his petulant, angry words their toothy smiles faded, replaced by deep frowns and a chorus of hisses and diminutive growls. Inuyasha turned back to his companions and rolled his eyes. "Can you believe this crap?"

Kouga barked out a quick, sarcastic laugh. "Did you just call my precious little treasures `monsters' --- why you ---" The wolf demon set his small daughter down, and gave the child a fond pat on her head, before marching forward to shove at the hanyou's chest confrontationally. Not willing to take ANY more abuse, Inuyasha shoved Kouga back and, within seconds, both demons were nose to nose and snarling ferociously in each other's faces.

"Ummm --- excuse me ---" Kagome interrupted, stepping daintily over a broken earthenware bowl and up to their sides. Kouga's throaty growl was cut off immediately as he finally directed his full attention to the miko.

"Kagome! Look at you!" he shouted excitedly, pointing at her belly. He clasped her hand in both of his, and turned her around to examine her at every angle till she blushed modestly. "I can't believe you came all this way! And I can't believe you let that bastard knock you up!" He let out a short, wistful sigh. "Your soft heart is still getting you into trouble, huh?! I know you only sleep with him out of pity! I just can't believe he would be so selfish as to drag you up here!"

Inuyasha stared at their interlaced fingers. Though he logically knew Kouga's action was meant to be a friendly, NOT flirtatious, gesture, enough was enough! Within seconds, his fangs were bared, and he had the wolf demon trapped in a powerful headlock.

Practical as ever, Sango patiently herded the wide-eyed children back a few paces as both Ayame and Kagome shrieked simultaneous warnings. Dashing forward, the wolf princess joined the scuffle, hands shooting out to catch her swearing husband by his pointy ear and to fist in his long ponytail. In much the same manner she had used on her rowdy little ones, she dragged Kouga back, shoving him towards Ginta and Hakkaku roughly. Meanwhile, Miroku and Shippou raced in to forcibly pull the kicking and clawing Inuyasha to the other end of the room.

"Now who's being MATURE, Inukkoro?!" the wolf prince jeered, as Ginta and Hakkaku pinned him to the wall by his shoulders.

"Stop this at once!" Ayame screeched in her husband's infuriated face. "Behave yourself, Kouga --- if you CAN! We need help! HIS help! Why are we all here in the North to begin with? Don't you remember what Naraku did to our home the last time he tried to take those wretched, worthless jewel shards!? We need to destroy that evil creature before he comes back! Before he comes to kill you!"

Kouga snorted and struggled to escape his friends' tight grip. "Naraku can't kill me, woman! That pathetic bastard --- I'm going to destroy him! Him --- and that bitch who murdered my kin so long ago! I almost had her last time ---"

Ayame winced in sympathy at her mate's anguish. She nodded her head solemnly, permitting Ginta and Hakkaku release him. "I'm sorry --- it's just," she whispered, "I don't want to lose you."

"Hmphhh."

Though the wolf-prince appeared to scoff at her simple, heart-felt words, his shoulders slumped noticeably and his aggressive stance vanished. With a dramatic sigh, he settled himself on a warm pile of skins in the corner and gestured for his guests to follow suit.

Still protesting under his breath, Inuyasha sunk cross-legged to the rough stone floor, as Kagome knelt primly beside him.

Ayame brightened at this sudden cooperative behavior. She needed to act quickly to get some sort of dialogue flowing between her pouting husband and the hanyou again.

"Alright --- Let's start over ---" she began breathlessly, ignoring the fact that Kouga had crossed his arms with a huff and was scowling belligerently into the far wall. "You'll have to forgive the little ones! We have so few guests!" She giggled nervously, pausing to nudge some old bones under a bulky fur with her toe. The demoness ushered her groaning children together to form a straggly line.

"Come on, all of you --- stand up straight --- and let everyone get a look at you!" To everyone's great confusion, she attempted to make quick work of properly introducing her many children.

"The handsome one here is Kouki," she said, patting the boy on the cheek. "Isn't he just the spitting image Kouga? And the sweetest thing ever!" As soon as his mother moved to the next child, the boy bared his small fangs and stuck his tongue out at Inuyasha. The hanyou's hand strayed all too quickly to Tetsusaiga's hilt, earning him a reproachful smack from Kagome.

Ayame continued, oblivious to the exchange. "And then right next to him, as usual, is Choukyosei! He's our smart one! As clever as his daddy!" Sango pinched Miroku's arm as the monk struggled valiantly to keep from giggling aloud ---

"And then our first set of twins, Koba and Akukaze, they're --- wait, some of these aren't mine!" She tapped a clawed finger against her lip as she studied the remaining children. "Anyone whose daddy isn't Kouga, take three steps forward --- NOW!" she ordered. Four giggling wolf cubs raced out of the line to dart behind the legs of the devilishly grinning Ginta and Hakkaku.

"Right," Ayame moved on, flipping her red hair back over her shoulder. "Now this is my second set of twins, Mieika and Kousai! My lovely girls! Such dainty little blossoms!"

Kagome smiled at the pair. Though identical in appearance, she swore she'd never seen a more contrasting duo. One little girl was rumpled and rough and tumble, her aggressive growls and insolent glare making her nearly indistinguishable from her older brothers. Her twin, meanwhile, somehow seemed far more composed and calm. The girl's keen, solemn, emerald eyes were currently fixed upon "the strangers" with a shy, friendly curiosity.

Ayame's excited voice caught Kagome's attention again. "And, of course, there's the baby! Kouga hasn't named him yet!" the demoness concluded brightly, finally offering to take her sleeping infant back from Miroku. For her children's sake, she hastily waved her hand over her guests once more.

"Everyone, these are --- Kouki, quit hitting your brother! These are friends of Touchan's --- mostly. This is Kagome, a powerful miko! She helped me jog your father's memory and win his heart! And here's Sango --- she's a `taijiya' --- that means `demon-killer'! So I want you all to remember her armor! Never, NEVER EVER wander too close to humans who dress like this! A-ha, sorry Sango!" She laughed airily.

"Whatever," Sango answered in an icy tone as she tightened her grip on Hiraikotsu, not really appreciating being vilified and used as a lesson. She couldn't help but feel slightly wounded as the children's angry, accusing eyes now came to rest squarely on HER instead of Inuyasha.

"And this is Miroku. He's a monk, and he's been cursed with a Kazaana! So nobody touch his right hand --- I don't care how pretty you think those beads are --- and that means you, Mieika!!! And Shippou here is much like us! He's a kitsune! And, well, I guess you've all met Inuyasha." As soon as the hanyou's name was mentioned, there was another round of hissing and growling.

"Little brats," Inuyasha mumbled angrily under his breath.

"Yeah, they look like quite a handful," Sango whispered in agreement, coming to stand behind him, her eyes wide as she peered down at all the wolf cubs. She quickly glanced back at her husband. This had been his DREAM after all! Sure enough, Miroku's face had taken on the same goofy look he used to sport when surrounded by a group of rather attractive young women in need of rescuing. Even though she was still a bit offended by Ayame's flippant comment on her profession, Sango's expression softened; after all, she hadn't seen Miroku smile in days.

Her dry amusement was short lived however. The taijiya soon noticed that her husband's eyes had moved from the children to his own cursed hand. Once again, all the worries and doubts she thought she had cast aside at their departure flooded back full force. Gods --- if anything were to befall him now, what would she do?

In talks with Mushin, she had learned that little Kaisei was the only daughter born to his family in many, many generations, even before his grandfather first received the Kazaana. Would Naraku's curse affect his whole line or did the wind tunnel appear solely on the males? She remembered how Miroku had once sought to father as many children as he could, in hopes of creating an heir to avenge his death and resume his quest if he should fall. But from the moment Kaisei was born, it seemed he no longer cared about heirs or his family honor, and he never asked her to bare him another child. He seemed determined that his slow torture should never pass to his own flesh and blood again.

Sango's breath caught at the look of guilt and pain that flashed across his usually cheerful face. With a forced smile, she reached out and grasped Miroku's hand, offering it a gentle squeeze. The priest looked up in surprise, violet eyes searching her face. "We'll end this soon," she whispered quietly, turning back to face the wolf-children. "I promise you."

Inuyasha interrupted with a snarl, focusing on Kouga, who was still sulking in the corner. "Fine, fine! Introductions are over!" he gritted impatiently. "Now hurry up and tell us what you know about Naraku, so I can get the hell out of here and wash this wolf stink off of me!"

"Wanna leave, wan-chan?" The wolf-prince dug through the children's toys scattered across the floor at his feet, and picked up a small pink ball. "Here, I'll make it easy for you!" He hurled the ball at the half-demon's head. "There, puppy --- GO FETCH!!!"

As the tension in the cave began to rise again, the bright-looking little girl that had held back during the first fray now approached the strangers bravely, ignoring the shouting that drowned out Inuyasha's next rude words. She wrung a tattered, obviously well-loved rag doll between her tiny clawed fingers and stared up at Shippou bashfully.

"Hello," she whispered.

The fox looked down in surprise. "Hi," he mumbled back, quickly returning his attention to the others, preparing to jump in at a moment's notice whenever it came to blows.

"Mama said your name's Shippou," the child stated quietly.

"Yeah," he confirmed absently, more interested in the impending fight, and the possibility of learning a few new colorful curses, than listening to the little girl.

The child took another step closer. "I'm Mieika," she continued in a bolder tone, undeterred and completely oblivious to the lack of enthusiasm in the fox's voice. "I'm four years old. I like butterflies and my dolls and rainbows and taking long naps and counting stars and when Touchan takes me racing very, very, very fast and when I grow up I'm going to marry you --- okay?"

Shippou's chin dropped as he stared down and tried to absorb all of the child's frenetic words. "Ummmm, sure, whatever ---" he stammered, shifting uncomfortably.

Pausing in mid-insult, Kouga turned from Inuyasha and looked up at the fox in shock and sympathetic horror. "Nooooooooooooo!" he shouted, leaping up to his feet and racing to the extremely flustered kitsune's side. "Don't promise her THAT! These wolf girls NEVER forget a vow like that! Believe me, I know! Damnit --- just look at what the hell happened to me!"

From where she was seated, reclining comfortably on a large white pelt, Ayame blinked in shock. "Oh, shut up Kouga!" she shouted, her lovely face going from scarlet to purple in her rage. "We all KNOW you weren't too happy when Grandfather `requested' that you fulfill your pledge and become my mate, but it WAS for your own good ---" She looked desperately at Kagome and Sango, as if expecting automatic female support.

"For my own good? And requested? REQUESTED!? Woman --- they all tricked me --- those countless brainless, hairy brutes that you call brothers --- and --- and those two traitors over there!" Kouga yelled, whirling around to point an accusing finger at Ginta and Hakkaku as the pair laughed nervously and stumbled back a few paces. "You guys knocked me out and tied me up! You dragged me up here! And when I came to days later, it was all over!"

Ayame stuck her small nose in the air and turned away in a huff. "Well, Kouga, a promise IS a promise, and you were being unreasonable. You were trying to dodge your responsibility to your OWN people!" she countered practically, as she moved to stand between her husband and his two trembling lieutenants. "And besides, you LOVE me now and you KNOW it!" As soon as she uttered those words, Ayame was surrounded by her numerous children and together they all fixed Kouga with practiced pleading and wounded expressions.

"Arghhh! Not those eyes! Don't look at Daddy like that!!!" The wolf rubbed at his temples in exasperation, but anyone could easily see the warmth in his expression as he glanced both at his mate and the many little ones staring most desperately and hopefully back at him. "Well, I have to say it WAS a pretty good trick," he sighed, as he scratched his chin sheepishly. "Never saw it coming."

He cleared his throat, and glanced at Inuyasha again, offering a small nod of truce. "That's ENOUGH! Okay, anyone shorter than an icky toad demon has to go to bed right now! Otou-sama needs to talk to the nice doggie!" He clapped his hands to emphasize his seriousness and the children filed passed, groaning in their disappointment.

Ginta and Hakkaku quickly ushered their own cubs out as well, rather relieved that their leader appeared ready to be accommodating and reasonable.

"FINALLY!" Inuyasha shouted tersely after the whines died down, and each and every reluctant child had left the room. "I didn't come all the way up here for this! Enough wasted time, yase ookami. So, what's all this crap about Naraku? You found his scent or what?"

Kouga nodded again, and pulled Ayame into his lap, seeking to appease her after his last tirade. "Sort of --- not Naraku's scent," he corrected. "It's hard to explain. I think Kagome would understand better than you ever could. It's not a smell --- it's like a pull."

Kagome grabbed a fistful of Inuyasha's red haori. "A pull?" she echoed, her eyes lighting with interest.

"Yeah. Coming from the jewel shards in my legs, you know?"

"The jewel shards?" she asked, excitement starting to creep into her voice. "Does this pull --- does it feel like there's somewhere else you need to be?"

Kouga nodded vigorously. "YES! Way in the east, there's this strange ravine and --- and every time I travel too close to it, it's like --- like something's calling me. And it's not a good feeling at all. In fact, it makes my skin crawl just thinking about it." He scratched at his forearm furiously.

Kagome drew in a deep breath as everyone stared at her in expectation. "Yes," she whispered, biting her fingernails nervously. "That's kind of what I feel when I come close to a shard. Not exactly, but --- hmmmm." The miko exchanged a quick, knowing glance with Inuyasha, noting how tightly the hanyou's fist was clenched around the hilt of Tetsusaiga again. "Kouga-kun! Will you take us to the place? Onegai?"

"Wait!" Ayame shouted, shrugging free of Kouga's grasp and rising to her feet. "Before you all go racing off, these two have something to report." She nodded towards Ginta and Hakkaku.

The pair stepped forward slowly, steeling themselves for delivering what appeared to be bad news. "Yeah, well, when our wolves were out patrolling, they accidentally let someone cross through our lands --- someone they possibly shouldn't have ---"

"WHAT?!" Kouga thundered back in shock.

"It's not their fault though, Kouga! They didn't know --- they just knew we were expecting visitors and --- got a bit confused," Hakkaku hurried to explain.

"Take it easy," Ayame whispered encouragingly to him, placing her hand on his armored shoulder. "Just tell him ---"

Both the hanyou and the wolf-prince leaned forward impatiently, as the fretful demons continued to stare down at their feet in disgrace.

"Well, who the hell was it?" Kouga roared, after several minutes of stuttering had passed.

"Ummm --- it looked like that boy --- the boy who serves Naraku."

"The boy who serves Naraku?" Sango shouted in reflexive panic. Before Miroku could stop her, she had raced forward to seize Ginta roughly. "What boy?" she seethed.

The wolf fixed her with a bewildered look. "No, no! Not who you're thinking of right now! It was a youkai boy --- well, we think ---"

"Hakudoushi?" Inuyasha snapped. "Was that who you saw? What the hell? Why didn't you two say something earlier?!"

"Well, the demon was gone before anyone could really get a clear look! And besides we're not stupid!" Hakkaku answered defensively. "We've been putting up with you and Kouga for years now! We know how the two of you get! I didn't want to drop this on everyone from the beginning, before you guys had a chance to get your first brawl out of the way!

"And besides," Ginta chimed in, "We're not sure it REALLY was him to begin with! But whatever it was --- it wasn't causing trouble here! It was heading south!"

Sango paced in agitation. This latest news was doing nothing to settle her already frazzled nerves. "Wait --- it was heading south?! Let me get this straight, you saw a demon that might have been Hakudoushi, and he was heading SOUTH!?" Without another word, she hefted Hiraikotsu and stormed towards the door.

"What?! Where are you going, Sango?" Miroku yelled worriedly, chasing at her heels.

"I have to go back!" she cried. "Kohaku still hasn't joined us --- what if he ran into that --- that thing --- on his way up here?"

Inuyasha raced to Miroku's side, helping the priest block her path. "Sango, you've got to be fucking kidding!" the hanyou scolded. "I need you with ME! If this dumb ass is right and Naraku is at the bottom of some filthy hole --- it's gonna take ALL of us! Kohaku's not stupid --- he'll be here any day! He wants his revenge as much as the rest of us!"

Sango rubbed at her temples. But --- but Kohaku was acting so damn strange when she left! She spun around quickly to hide her frightened, puzzled expression from her husband and the half-demon. Maybe she should tell everyone some of the bizarre things she thought she heard her brother say the morning they departed for the North? The taijiya swallowed hard, and decided it was best not to distract the others any further. "Gomen," she whispered, "I'm just being overbearing and overprotective, I guess. As usual, huh?"

Shippou stepped forward and lightly grasped her arm. "Sango, relax. If it will make you feel better, I'll go back and see if I meet up with Kohaku."

"Really?" The demon exterminator smiled in relief and lifted her grateful eyes to the fox's.

Inuyasha growled in renewed annoyance. "Oi --- Didn't you hear what I just said!?! If this flea covered wolf is right about Naraku, I'm GONNA need EVERYONE and that includes YOU, you scrawny, sneaky brat!"

Shippou rolled his eyes. "Awwww --- you confidence and love for me is overwhelming! I know deep thought hurts you, but just try to remember about my powers and quit barking in my face! I'm not a kid anymore! I can be there and back in just a few days if I fly! We only traveled up here so slowly because of ---" he cleared his throat and pointed delicately at Kagome's belly, hoping he wasn't offending his surrogate mother.

Inuyasha's mouth clamped shut with a snap, suddenly remembering Kagome should be resting now. "Whatever, fine. Go check on Kohaku and get him to hurry his ass up here. If these morons are right and you do pick up the scent of Hakudoushi --- pay close attention to where it is so we can pick up his trail and chase him down if Kouga is wrong about this `place'! He's taking us out there --- at sunrise. Aren't ya, yase ookami?"

Kouga grinned in anticipation, inspecting his long claws. "Only if you're fast enough to keep up with me, Inukkoro."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kohaku awoke drenched in sweat, and winced in pain as another strange tingle snaked its way along his spine. He reached back to gingerly massage his shoulder blade, cursing as the awful sensation immediately flared again. His very skin seemed to be ablaze, his nerves firing in an excruciating burn that seemed uncannily familiar.

Enough was enough! This had been going on for far too many days now and he could no longer pretend to ignore it. The young man shifted in his bed and glanced around the darkened hut. His brown eyes fell upon his niece as she slumbered peacefully in her sleeping-basket a few feet away.

Another wave of pain hit him, this one more terrible and urgent than ever before, and his whole body shook with the effort it took to keep from crying out.

Stupid fool, he gritted in his mind, finally feeling the first stirrings of real panic. You should have listened to Sango from the start. Whatever the case --- it's time to seek Kaede out.

NOW.

With shaking fingers, Kohaku coiled his weapon around his shoulders, tucking the sickle blade carefully into his sash. He hurriedly moved to bundle Kaisei in warmer blankets, trying his best not to wake her. Heading out into the cold night air, he turned slowly, dimly trying to focus on the direction of the priestess' hut. The pain flared again and he stumbled in the dark, reaching out to support his weight on a moss-covered tree. The young man leaned back to rest --- only for a moment, he whispered to himself --- and stared absently up at the night sky.

He let his eyes drift peacefully closed ---

And snapped them open just as quickly to concentrate more intently on the sky again. Somehow, in some way --- it --- it just didn't seem right! The clouds were so damn low and they seemed fixed in place, even though the wind whistled harshly all about him. And --- they --- they seemed to be strangely murky and dark even though he could clearly see that the moon was shining brightly. Wait, were those even clouds at all? What the hell?! Kohaku blinked rapidly, hoping to clear his vision. He MUST be sicker than the others even thought!

With a pained grunt, Kohaku forced himself to run, tightening his grip protectively around the child in his arms. Several exhausting moments later, he came to an abrupt halt and looked around in sheer panic. Now what?! He was currently deep in Inuyasha's forest, a good mile from the village at least. How --- how could he have come this way? How could he have traveled so far in the wrong direction without being aware of it?

The demon slayer glanced up into the dark, leafless trees, pausing to catch his ragged breath once more. Strange, he mused, for some reason he felt a little better out here in the woods. He stumbled a few more paces, now seeking to re-trace his steps. A large twisting shadow filled his immediate path, and he was surprised to find himself staring up in fascination at the eerie, empty boughs of the Goshinboko as they danced in the wind.

The Goshinboko, he thought with a cruel smile. How beautiful. The place where the carcass of that fool Inuyasha should have remained, rotting away over the centuries. I wonder if his blood still stains its smooth bark ---

With a startled cry, Kohaku collapsed to his knees and pressed his fingers to his fevered forehead. Gods, he was losing his mind. Once again, it felt like his thoughts were being twisted and manipulated by someone else. He needed return to the village NOW, he needed to bring Kaisei to Kaede-sama, he needed to take whatever disgusting medicine she shoved down his throat and hope to get some rest ---

The young man struggled up from the cold ground, the small, routine movements seeming to require all his energy and concentration. "Shhhhh --- it's okay," he murmured as calmingly as he could when Kaisei whimpered and shifted fitfully in his arms.

He glanced about in astonishment. Over these past few moments, it seemed that the clouds had descended lower to swirl all about him, and the misty purple shadows played havoc with his senses as they caressed his fevered skin. His head jerked up as one peculiar shadow seemed to solidify and move to steadily approach him. His fist instinctively tightened about his weapon.

"Who?" Kohaku choked in a hoarse whisper. "Who's there?"

A small child in white stepped out from the inky shadows cast by the Goshinboku. "Who's there?" he echoed in a pleasant, all-too-familiar voice. "Me, of course! And just look what I've found! A pair of silly little fishies --- lost and alone! Just like Naraku said I would!"

"You!" Kohaku spat, glowering down upon the grinning form of Hakudoushi. "Get the hell out of here!" In his outrage and fear for his young niece's life, he somehow mustered the strength to assume a defensive posture. He spun his weapon in an easy circle, daring the demon to come within its range.

"There, there!" the wicked youkai crooned far too sweetly. "Is that any way to greet a comrade after being parted for soon long?"

"You loathsome little --- what the hell do you want?" Kohaku grated, taking several measured steps back as his enemy advanced threateningly. A battle seemed imminent, and he looked wildly around the glade for a place to shelter Kaisei.

"Oh, it's not what I want --- it's what WE want!" Hakudoushi continued conversationally as he ran a pale finger along the edge of his pike. "Our master desires your company again." The demon resumed stalking towards his prey until the young man stumbled over a root of the Goshinboko with a startled gasp.

He had no other choice. Kohaku laid Kaisei down in a boll of the great tree, and wrapped her blankets tighter about her frame with a regretful smile. He straightened and turned away, staring levelly into the cold eyes of his ruthless opponent. Wincing in great pain, he raced to attack the demon, hoping to end this quickly before he passed out from the agony. He released his sickle in a deadly arc to rake the spot where Hakudoushi had just stood mere moments before.

The laughing youkai re-materialized a second later, hovering languidly in the air just to his left.

"Listen here, you little worm," Kohaku screamed in defiance. "Naraku's not my master --- not anymore!" He prepared to strike the smug grin off that creature's face with his blade.

"Oh really?" the youkai countered with a self-satisfied chuckle as he quickly dodged that second, well-aimed blow. "If Naraku isn't your master --- then perhaps this is?"

Hakudoushi held up his delicate hand and Kohaku found himself breaking out in an instant cold sweat. He couldn't help but notice that a glowing black light had begun to seep through the creases between the demon's tightly clamped fingers.

"What the hell? What have you got there?" Kohaku's eyes widened in horror and he backed up quickly. He gasped in sudden understanding as Hakudoushi's malicious smile broadened. "No --- that can't be!?"

With a derisive snicker, the demon opened his fist, freeing the tiny jewel shard he carried. Powered by his dark jyaki, it hurtled through the night air, seeking to return to Kohaku's flesh. The boy spun quickly, racing back towards Kaisei, his thoughts focused solely on shielding his defenseless niece and escaping with her back to the village. As he turned, he felt a burning pain in his shoulder and knew impulsively that it was too late. With a strangled scream he fell to the ground. He struggled on his hands and knees to crawl the reminder of the distance to the child as a terrible blackness began to wash over him. Several long minutes later, he reached her side, his breath labored, his vision blurring. The toddler yawned, and opened her eyes with a start. With a look a terror, she stared past her uncle and tried to take in her unfamiliar, nightmarish surroundings.

She's such a pretty child, Kohaku mused, as he stared down at the little girl, wishing he knew some way to ease her fears. If only I could remember her name --- didn't it have something to do with the sea?

His eyelids rolled white and the young man collapsed again.

Hakudoushi sauntered over to his fallen adversary, a scowl of extreme dissatisfaction twisting his falsely angelic little features. "Tooooo EASY! So damn disappointing," he sighed, moving closer to inspect the seemingly unconscious boy.

There was a flash of cold iron and bone, and Hakudoushi leapt back, a choked gurgle issuing from his throat. His little hands came up to claw wildly at his neck, and he was shocked by the feeling of a hot surge of something wet and slippery. He pulled his fingers up to his astonished eyes for inspection and stared down in disbelief as he found them stained black with his own burning blood. He reached up again, surprised to find Kohaku's curved sickle blade protruding from his slender neck. That --- that little bastard! Still stunned, the youkai looked up at the demon hunter, his pale eyes narrowing in his wrath and pain.

"How --- how can you still be standing? How can you remember?!" he hissed, his voice little more than a strangled wheeze.

Kohaku didn't answer, but grinned haughtily, his dark gaze meeting that of his staggered foe with an expression of equal fury. "Disappointing, huh?" he mocked, still focusing all of his thoughts on fighting the shard's control. "Looks like you've all underestimated me once again!'

With a snarl, Hakudoushi pulled the weapon from his flesh, muttering bitter curses as his wound sought to heal itself. "Why you filthy little ningen --- you'll --- I'll make you regret that!" The youkai whirled in a neat circle, bringing his pike around. He swept under the slackened iron chain, fully prepared to cleave the insolent young human in half ---

As Kohaku moved to defend himself, he felt the jewel shard pulse again, and his body became immobile --- held frozen by some invisible force. He stared defiantly into his enemy's face, calmly awaiting the killing blow. But the lethal strike of Hakudoushi's spear was stopped as a smooth hand caught the gleaming blade ---

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sorry EVIL cliff-hanger again! Who could it be!?

Thanks to everyone who reviewed! Sorry I didn't get to answer everyone! Trying to get the next Chapter up in the next few days!

Essie - YEP, hold on to that baseball bat and crawl under the covers! The `baddies' are back! Thanks so much for that hysterical review! It still cracks me up!

Ha, ha --- Melinda-chan! That was great! I know, I know! I'm getting back to the good stuff (I hope!) and sorry about the Sess/Rin mush! I had a hard time writing that last chapter, believe me!

Choco-choco - laughs even harder! Ohhhh - that's a disturbing mental image!

Jade Summers - Hi! Good news is that now I have some time on my hands and next chapter will be out in a few days! Really glad you like the story!

RabidAnimeGurl - Yep, and I'm afraid Naraku's up to a whole lot worse! I can promise you! Rin and Sess won't get much of a `honeymoon'!

Not too much vocab!

Cattico - Thanks! I always wanted to give poor Sess a past! Think he'd have to deal with some heavy issues to become the character we all know and love!