InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Emergence ❯ Looking Toward the Future ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: I know I'm terrible and I really am sorry it took so long to get this up, but for some reason I just couldn't seem to get into writing this chapter. I don't expect the next one to take as long.

Now you may be happy (or disappointed) to learn that I only expect this story to have around thirty chapters. Maybe a couple less depending on how everything comes together. I actually have part of the epilogue and bits and pieces of the rest of the story written, so it is only a matter of filling in the blanks.

That said thank you to all those who reviewed and I hope you will continue to do so. I also expect the new chapter of Unfettered to be up soon. It is about 50% complete, for anyone who is also reading that. Anyway I hope you enjoy
.

~ * ~

InuYasha was growing more frustrated with each passing day. He was tired of all the fruitless searching for the single elusive jewel shard that was preventing him from being free to let go of the past and really start his life with Kagome.

He was also tired of dealing with the lesser youkai that kept coming trying to steal the jewel, most often in the dead of night, thinking that they were all unsuspecting humans. So far he had managed to slay them all without ever even waking the others in the group, but he wasn’t foolish enough to believe that things would continue like that forever.

As if the Kami had read his thoughts he scented the approach of several youkai and he wasn’t the only one. “It fucking figures.” He muttered to himself as he drew his sword.

“Can you tell us what is coming?” Miroku called, staff in hand, along with a sacred sutra.

“Serpents, a few of them.” InuYasha replied.

Sango quickly prepared for battle and Shippou went to find an inconspicuous place to wait so that he wouldn’t get in the way. Kagome readied an arrow just in case and they waited.

While it was unusual for youkai such as these to work together, it was not unheard of, and soon the group found themselves being attacked from both sides. InuYasha raised the Tetsusaiga and sliced through the largest youkai and Sango answered on the other side with her Hiraikotsu.

Kagome fired and arrow striking one of the smaller serpents while Miroku quickly threw a sutra and followed it by bringing his staff down on the head of one of their would be attackers. Again they heard Sango’s familiar battle cry as she took out another and Kirara tore into the last with her fangs.

The Testsusaiga rested in the dirt in front of InuYasha who was scanning the area with his senses to make sure that they really had gotten all of them. Kagome felt herself being drawn toward Sango. She was standing beside the taijiya about to ask her if she was all right when a last serpent youkai came out of the brush headed straight for her.

Without thinking Kagome pushed Sango out of the way and grunted in pain as the foul snake hit her in the stomach and sent her flying.

“Kagome!” InuYasha yelled as he saw his mate sailing through the air and into the dense foliage. He wasted no time leaping into the air and bringing down his claws. “Sankontessou!”

Miroku was helping Sango to her feet as the youkai disintegrated. They both looked in the direction Kagome had been thrown in and watched the hanyou and the kitsune hurry to her side, following after them.

InuYasha hated the scent of Kagome’s blood and at once he began to inspect her injuries. He was relieved to find that her wounds were mostly superficial, except a single gash on her thigh, but even that wasn’t serious. He was a little concerned that she was unconscious, but nothing could be done about that.

He glanced at the monk and Sango. The hanyou felt the overwhelming urge to care for his mate, but he couldn’t bring himself to do so properly while they were watching. The kid he could deal with, since Shippou was a youkai and would understand.

“You two go on ahead and find a place to make camp.” InuYasha said from his place at Kagome’s side. “Here runt, hold this. Once I get Kagome cleaned up we’ll catch up. She’ll probably need to rest for a while.”

Shippou took the folded cloth and held it firmly over the worst of Kagome’s injuries. Sango and Miroku looked at InuYasha for a moment, knowing that he would take care of Kagome, and agreed. Once they were out of sight InuYasha began to clean and seal the superficial scratches on Kagome’s face and arms.

Shippou remained silent not all at surprised to see that the hanyou was taking care of Kagome in such a way. It was after all the way of things at least among youkai and more than that he knew just how much the hanyou cared for his mate.

When the only cut remaining was the shallow gash on her upper thigh that was covered by the bandage and Shippou’s hand InuYasha spoke again. “Let’s see if it’s still bleeding.” The kitsune uncovered the wound and InuYasha inspected it. “Get her some clean clothes out of her bag, while I take care of this.”

The young fox bounded over to Kagome’s bag and dug around inside. When he returned to the hanyou and the miko he was carrying the soft pink and blue kimono that Sango had made for Kagome as thanks for all that the young woman from the future had done in preparation for her wedding.

Without needing to be told Shippou turned away so that InuYasha could change Kagome. Thankfully, her undergarments had not been soiled by any blood. Kagome awoke just as he was tying closed the kimono.

“Is everyone all right?” Kagome asked quietly.

InuYasha looked down at his mate as she lay in his arms. “Yeah. Now tell me what the hell were you thinking jumping in front of that youkai like that?”

“Not so loud.” His miko whispered. “My head hurts, and I was thinking about Sango and Miroku’s baby. If she had been the one hit by the youkai she could have lost her child. I couldn’t let that happen.”

The gentle scolding InuYasha had intended on giving his mate died on his lips. He should have known that her reason would have been to the cause of protecting someone else no matter the effect on herself. It hadn’t really occurred to him that he was going to have to try harder to insure that everyone was kept safe. While he never wanted any of their group to get injured, now it was imperative that Sango be kept from harm. Perhaps it would be best to consider that it was time for him and Kagome to seek the final shard on their own.

~ * ~

InuYasha glanced to his right as Miroku left his place near Sango to join him on the other side of the fire. It was late, much later than the bouzo usually stayed up, and so he suspected that something was on the monk’s mind.

“Since the incident this afternoon I have spent much time thinking and meditating on what happened.” Miroku began quietly. “I owe much to both you and Kagome. There can be no words to describe my gratitude for your part in ridding me of my curse and for Kagome bringing herself to harm in the cause of protecting Sango.”

InuYasha remained silent; though he was secretly relieved that Miroku had taken it upon himself to broach the very subject the hanyou had been dreading bringing up. He knew that he was likely to screw up and make it sound like he didn’t want them traveling with him anymore and that he wasn’t grateful for their help so far, but this way all he had to do was agree with the monk. InuYasha also knew his silence was making Miroku a little wary, but he enjoyed seeing the pervert squirm a little.

“What I am trying to say is that it is one thing to defend yourself and your home against youkai but quite another to go seeking trouble.” Miroku continued. “You and Kagome have been friends to us and more than that have become like family, but my first duty must be to Sango and her safety. Surely you can understand?”

“Keh, of course I can.” InuYasha offered at last. “Me and Kagome have to do this, but you and Sango... Hell I didn’t even expect you to come with us anymore once Naraku was gone. When you did...” The hanyou took a long pause. “Anyway that ain’t important. I understand and Kagome will too.”

Miroku smiled and clasped a hand on InuYasha’s shoulder. “That went better than I had expected. Now I only have to convince Sango.”

InuYasha snorted. “You got your work cut out for you there bouzo, but it’s your own fault for picking such a willful woman.”

Miroku frowned even though his eyes still shone with amusement. “Ah, and your Kagome is such a meek and timid flower, never willful in the least... I had forgotten.”

At this InuYasha laughed. “Yeah well my woman doesn’t have a giant bone to sling at me, and she’s too nice to shoot me with one of her arrows...” Miroku sighed and InuYasha took pity on him. “You know I could get Kagome to talk to her for you, that way neither one of us would have to worry about getting hit with Hiraikotsu.”

“I would be forever grateful my friend.” Miroku said with a smile.

~ * ~

It would still take more than a day to reach the village because InuYasha had to carry Kagome. Though her wound was mostly healed her leg and her stomach were still sore and she was unable to walk or ride on his back, and so when they had the chance to secure a room for the night at a small inn, they took advantage of it.

This time Miroku preformed a real exorcism and once it was done they were shown to their room. If the innkeeper noticed the disappointment of the four travelers when he told them he only had one empty room, he made no mention of it. Thunder roared in the distance and Miroku sighed.

“Well, though not what I had in mind it is better than sleeping outside in the rain.” The monk offered.

“Yeah, right bouzo.” InuYasha snorted.

Kagome giggled a little at her grumpy hanyou and shared a look with an amused and blushing Sango.

All four looked towards the door as the innkeepers wife arrived. “A meal will be prepared for you all, but before that perhaps you would like to rid yourself of the dirt and dust from your travels.”

“A bath?” Kagome questioned excitedly. “That would be wonderful.”

“I will have the tubs prepared.” The woman offered. “I will return to show you the way once everything is in order.”

It wasn’t long before they were shown to the bathing rooms. Shippou actually chose to go with the men this time, so Sango and Kagome were left alone to relax in the warm water.

“Can we talk?” Kagome asked gently.

“Or course. I have been wanting to tell you how glad I am that you were not injured too seriously yesterday.” Sango said.

“That is exactly what I wanted to talk about.” Kagome replied. “You and Miroku are more than just my friends. You’ve both become like family and I couldn’t live with myself if anything happened to either one of you because of me. InuYasha and I both really appreciate it that you continue to travel with us and help us even though you’ve already gotten your revenge against Naraku, but maybe it’s time for you and Miroku to start your own lives.”

Sango didn’t say anything nor did she look at Kagome.

“It’s not that we don’t want you with us...” Kagome added quickly. “We do. In fact I am going to miss having you to talk to everyday. I didn’t mean to upset you...”

“I’m not upset.” Sango said quietly, lifting her head. “I am relieved. I can’t stand the thought of you getting hurt because of me either, but that’s exactly what happened yesterday, and since then I’ve been wondering how to tell you that I didn’t think I should travel with you anymore without making it seem like I am ungrateful for all you have done for me.”

~ * ~

Kagome smiled at both Miroku and InuYasha when she and Sango returned to the room, letting them know that their conversation had gone well, and their lives were in no immediate danger from an angry taijiya. They ate together and as it grew late each couple retired to their own side of the room. Shippou and Kirara curled up together in a far corner and were the first to fall asleep.

InuYasha was thankful for the partition that allowed him to lie beside his mate and hold her close without feeling awkward or embarrassed that they would be seen. He hadn’t had the chance to hold her nearly enough over the last several days.

Kagome had her arm around his waist and her face buried against his neck as he held her. He could hear her breathing deeply and the small contented sigh that escaped her. His hanyou eyesight allowed him to see her clearly as she looked up at him and smiled. Unable to resist InuYasha pressed his lips to hers and kissed her.

It was torture; their lips and bodies pressed together, gentle hands caressing each other, but to be unable to share themselves with each other completely. Finally InuYasha was forced to pull away. He nuzzled his mate’s neck as she whimpered softly.

InuYasha pressed his lips to her ear. “I need you too... soon.”

“Promise?” Kagome asked in what was barely a whisper.

“You better fucking believe it.” He replied. Then InuYasha kissed her once more to quiet her as she giggled.

~ * ~

The following morning, even though her injured leg felt completely fine, Kagome feigned a lingering stiffness so that her hanyou would carry her. She had a suspicion that he knew she was faking as he smirked at her, but it didn’t stop him from offering her his back.

They made it back to the village well before dark and so Kagome and InuYasha decided to go ahead and return to her era. The young miko was excited to hear what her mother had accomplished so far for their wedding and the hanyou was more than excited that he would finally be able to get his mate alone.

They went through the well and once their feet were firmly on the well house floor InuYasha crushed Kagome to his chest and kissed her. After a brief moment she tried to push away.

“Not now.” Kagome said as she continued to push against his chest.

“The way I see it you owe me.” InuYasha replied, nipping at her neck.

Kagome forced his head up and frowned at him. “How do you figure that, dog boy?”

In reply her hanyou ran his hand up her thigh and over the closed wound, which was by this time only a thin, faint line. “Keh, I know you... Every part of you, and I know your leg was fine this morning. I think I should get something for carrying you all day.”

“Is that so?” Kagome asked. Her hanyou nodded. “Okay then answer this one question. If you knew then why exactly did you carry me?” Kagome bit the insides of her cheeks to keep from laughing as InuYasha opened and closed his mouth trying to come up with an answer. “I think you did it because you like carrying me.”

“Keh.” InuYasha managed weakly.

Kagome smiled at him and reached up to rub a furry ear. “Since it was something we both enjoyed then I guess we’re even, but if we go inside right now so I can talk to mama, I’ll be sure and find a way to thank you later.”

She knew when her hanyou sighed and bent over to pick up her bag that she had won. Before she could open the well house door he took her in his arms and kissed her one last time.

“I’m going to hold you to that wench.” He said against her ear, his voice low and full of promise.

“I’m looking forward to it.” She breathed.

~ * ~

Inside they found her mother preparing dinner. The two women shared a brief embrace. “Welcome home, both of you.” Asami said warmly. “Have you had any luck on your quest?”

“Keh, nope.” InuYasha replied.

“So, mama...” Kagome began anxiously. “Did you have any luck?”

Asami laughed. “Yes dear. My job was no doubt much easier than yours, and after dinner we can discuss all the details.” At this Kagome pouted. “I know you’re excited, but Souta and jii-chan will be expecting dinner. Why don’t the two of you go get cleaned up and by then dinner will be finished.”

Kagome reluctantly accepted her mother’s suggestion. By the time both she and InuYasha had showered and dressed it was time to eat. Souta and jii-chan were happy to see that they had returned and much of the meal was spent talking about how things had gone in the past.

Afterwards, Kagome immediately started asking her mother questions about the wedding and jii-chan in his wisdom quickly made up a reason for the males in the room to have to leave.

Kagome was pleased to find that the chosen date was in just over two months time and that the flowers she desired had been ordered. Her mother had also secured a caterer for the reception and she had called Sesshomaru to find out how many would be attending on InuYasha’s side. It seemed the only things left to be done, were to address the invitations and select the clothing for during and after the ceremony, both of which could be taken care of during this stay in the modern era.