InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Endings ❯ The Beginning of the End ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~*A/N: Once again, starting a new story... Please don't hurt me! Rabid plot bunnies were bouncing on my head last night as I was lying in bed, contemplating Kikyo. Take a seat and lemme explain. This could take awhile.
Kikyo died, and was reincarnated into Kagome. Her soul was perfectly content with this, her consciousness as Kikyo having accepted her death and reincarnation over the centuries. Then her body is "reanimated" by Urasue, but her soul doesn't return. (Yes, I know, you know this already. So what's my point? I'm getting there, ok?!) When Urasue realized this and attempted to draw the soul from Kagome, it resisted. As I said, she had accepted her death. She didn't ask to be brought back. Remember her voice asking Inu-Yasha not to call her name? That's what I thought. Anyway, when he does call her name (and who can blame him? If anyone were to come face to face with someone they cared about and had died, seeming to be alive and well, who wouldn't say their name? I know I would!), and her soul is called forth, her first minutes of consciousness are spent reliving her last moments of life. So, having believed Inu-Yasha to have killed her, she is understandably angry and hateful. But hate doesn't consume her entire soul, only a fraction. So the rest returns to where it was perfectly content to stay, to Kagome. But that sliver, that little hateful part, remains in Kikyo. So all she feels is betrayal and hate. And she can't let that go. (If you've ever been hurt, you know how that is. I've been there, too.) So now her soul purpose in life is to destroy the one who she believes to have betrayed her. Although I believe she should learn to let go, and that Inu-Yasha belongs with Kagome (DUH!), I can sympathize with Kikyo's situation.
So that's where this story came from. Whew, that was a long one! Enjoy, minna!*~

DISCLAIMER: Don't own him... can't sue me for dreaming, though!

Chapter One: The Beginning of the End

"You would think by now I'd be able to keep up to him," Kagome muttered to herself, sweat beading her upper lip as she chased the flash of red. Three years had passed since she had fallen through the well to the Sengoku Jidai. Now in her second year of high school, she had traded in the old green and white sailor fuku for a new one. Blue, this time. Now, however she chose to change into street clothes for her adventures in the past, having finally realized the skirt was more of a hassle. She was clad in denim shorts, sneakers, and a black tank top, exposing her bare arms and legs to the warm summer sun. She had traded in her old bike for a mountain bike more suited to the terrain, and had invested in a quality backpack and lightweight camping supplies. She wore her hair as always, long and wavy, with bangs just reaching her eyes.

"Actually, you would think that the baka would know to slow down a little by now," Shippo replied from his position, perched on her handlebars. He had grown some, and was no longer a small child, but nearing manhood. He had recently rid himself of the bow that formerly adorned the top of his head, his red hair appearing even more disheveled.

Soaring above them in the sky were Miroku and Sango atop Kirara. The group had recently acquired another shard from a particularly aggravating uma (A/N: horse) youkai. It had run around incessantly, tiring them out in the chase. The battle concluded around mid-day, and instead of making camp, Inu-Yasha hurried them all back to the village. It was a half-day's travel, and the new moon would rise the following night. They were cutting it close. Kagome looked up to see Inu-Yasha standing atop a hill, his amber eyes glaring down at her. She braced herself for the insults to come. "Chikusou, wench, can't you move that thing any faster?!"

"I'm going as fast as I can!" she yelled up at him, glaring in return. All this time together, and she still had not been able to admit her true feelings to him. Shippo gave out a small growl, baring his fangs from his perch.

"Well, it's not fast enough! Hurry it up!" and with that, he was gone, over the hill she still hadn't fully climbed.

"One day, I'll be big and strong, and I'll teach that damn dog to respect you!" Shippo barked.

"Calm down, Shippo. He just worries this time of the month," Kagome soothed.

"New moon or not, he should know we can handle ourselves by now."

Kagome didn't reply, not wanting to waste breath on talking as she climbed the last few feet of the tall hill. 'True,' she thought, remembering how Shippo now fought for himself, not expecting anyone to protect him. He had trained with them all, and had learned much. Kagome could even hold her own, having learned sword skills from Sango and a little hand-to-hand from Inu-Yasha. She had to hold in a chuckle, recalling how afraid he was of hurting her, and how she had given him a black eye in the first lesson. Having reached the top of hill, she coasted down the other side, her hair flying behind her as she gained speed. She was quickly gaining on the red blur in front of her. The terrain was mostly downhill, and she was able to keep up her speed with little pedaling.

"Fast enough for you?" Kagome stuck out her tongue at Inu-Yasha as she flew past him.

"So, it's a race you want?" he mumbled to himself, the tips of his fangs visible in a smile. He immediately picked up the pace, running full speed downhill.

Sango smiled from Kirara's back, turning her head to the side to speak to Miroku, "Look at those two, like children."
Miroku peeked around her shoulder to see, chuckling as he leaned back again. "They'll fall into the river at this rate," he smiled, studying her profile. Her beauty still took his breath away, and he saw her everyday. He had made some headway in the past years, slowly convincing her that he wasn't a total lech. But everytime he took a step forward with Sango, he took two back. He would always mess it up somehow. Moments like this were to be treasured. Slowly, he realized Sango had been speaking, suddenly snapped out of his reverie by her frantic shouts.

"Kagome, Inu-Yasha, watch out!" Sango called, again facing forward, eyes wide with worry. They had been so preoccupied with beating each other, they had forgotten to pay attention to the landscape. They were cresting another hill, about to race down to the riverbank, and into the river.

"Shit," Inu-Yasha muttered, digging his heels in to avoid running headlong into the water.

"Kuso," Kagome breathed, squeezing the hand-brakes for all they were worth.

They both came to a sliding halt, Inu-Yasha lying panting on his side at the river bank. Kagome was a few feet away, also lying on her side, the bike still between her legs. Shippo had bailed off at Sango's warning cry, and now came bounding up to them. "Tie!" he yelled, jumping about happily. The two panting figures shot him twin glares, sweat beaded on twin brows. Kagome untangled her limbs from the bike, grimacing as she stood.

"Don't tell me you went and hurt yourself," Inu-Yasha snapped. "I'm not carrying you the rest of the way."

Kagome looked over to see him glaring at her, arms crossed over his chest. His clothes were now a dusty red, covered in the dirt he had slid in. Dirt smudged his nose, and across his chin. She began to laugh, softly at first, then falling back to the ground. "Ittai," she said softly, grimacing at the pain that reawoke when she fell.

"Wench, what were you laughing at? Serves you right," he said, turning away from her and leaping across the river.

Kagome scowled at his retreating form. "Now how am I supposed to get across?" she mumbled.

Shippo bounded up next to her. "I'll help!" he offered. Not waiting for her to reply, he picked up her bike, which was almost as tall as he was, and leapt lightly to the other side. "Now all you have to do is jump!"

"Easy for you to say," she muttered, standing and brushing the dust off of her. She backtracked a few steps, and took a deep breath, preparing to take a running jump. The river was perhaps six feet across, not very wide, but not very narrow either. Running full speed, she leapt off the banks edge, closing her eyes in anticipation of the icy bath she'd face if she didn't make it. Her feet hit solid ground, and her eyes opened in surprise as she landed in a crouched position. 'Not even a pulled muscle,' she thought absently.

"Way to go, Kagome!" Miroku cheered from somewhere above. She impishly stuck her tongue out at him before climbing back on her bike, backpack securely on her back. Shippo perched again on her handlebars, and she raced off after the distant red blob.

"How long until we're home, Kagome?" Shippo asked innocently.

"Soon, I think. Can you smell anything?" she asked.

Shippo stuck his nose into the air, sniffing audibly. "I smell... people... cookfire smoke... and FOOD!" he replied cheerily, bouncing slightly.

Kagome chuckled softly at the boy's enthusiasm. "Must mean we're getting close then. Maybe we'll be able to catch a glimpse of the village or the forest from the top of this hill?"

Shippo let out a triumphant "Yay!" as they crested the hill, Inu-Yasha's forest coming into view, the faint trace of smoke rising from behind it. "We're home!" the kit yelled, leaping from his perch and running full speed ahead of her.

"Shippo," she laughed, "take it easy!" 'Where that kit gets his energy from I'll never know,' she thought happily, gliding smoothly down the hill.

Soon enough the five were outside Kaede's hut, Kagome resting her bike against its side. Kirara, now in her smaller form, was perched on Sango's shoulder. Inu-Yasha leaned against the hut next to the door, arms across his chest. Miroku stared off into space, studying Sango's face. Shippo bounded up the stairs, disappearing into the hut. "Kaede!" he called, his voice reaching his companions outside. "We're home!"

"Aye, Shippo, that you are," Kaede said, pulling aside the mat covering the door and walking outside.

"So," he said, eyes big, following her, "what's for dinner?"

~*A/N: Chapter one down. I know it's a slow start, but they all are, aren't they? Trust me, I have this all planned out, even the ending. The problem is how to get there. Hmm... well, I'm sure it'll come to me. And if you're mad at me for starting a new fic before finishing the old ones, don't blame me, blame the rabid plot bunnies! Review, onegai? Ja ne, minna!*~