InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Eternity's Wake ❯ Nightmare ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer: I do not have any special privileges of owning any part, character, or ideas that belong to Rumiko Takashi. I merely borrow them - without permission, but borrow nonetheless.
 
A/N: Okay. . . here's the next chapter. . . you really deserve it.
Note: Youkai, hanyous, mikos, etc. do exist in this story, but they live in `secret.' No human, besides a selected few—a.k.a. Kagome—know about them.
 
~-Eternity's Wake~-
Chapter 2
~Nightmare~
 
~*~
 
The girl gave Inuyasha a distraught look, “How did you know my name? Oh—” she slapped her forehead as a thought suddenly dawned on her, “Someone must have told you, right?”
 
“Uh. . .”
 
`Do I need to—yet again—remind you how stupid you look right now? Compose yourself, baka! Repeat after me: I will keep my cool.'
 
“Yeah, they did. . . Uh, what was it that you wanted to speak to me about?”
 
`. . .Close. . . close. . . I'm sure your brain merely misunderstood the words and they got mixed up as you said them.'
 
“Oh. . . um, I guess first I should mask you if you have any appointments or—um—whatever you might have to do for your companies.”
 
`Say you do.'
 
`What?'
 
`Yeah, say—say you have an appointment. . . with the emperor of Cuba.'
 
`They don't have emperors in Cuba—it's a Communism country.'
 
`She won't know that!'
 
`How do you know?!'
 
`I—I don't. . .'
 
Inuyasha felt like maiming the damned voice. `Then shut-up.'
 
`. . .Rude-much. I try to help and look where it lands me.'
 
`Keh! There's no way in hell I'm going to turn her away. I haven't seen her in so long.' Despite the feelings of resentment that had surfaced, he couldn't stand turning her down
 
`Baka, don't! I have a bad feeling about this! Why would she just pop up out of nowhere? You don't really think—'
 
“No, no. I don't have anything. So don't worry. I have until tomorrow at about nine to talk with you.”
 
Kagome smiled, “It won't take that long.”
 
Ignoring the rambling voice in his head, Inuyasha smiled back. “So, what can I help you with?” Plopping down in a near-by chair, Inuyasha relaxed as she began.
 
“Well, it began about a month ago.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yeah, and I'm not sure how to fix it.”
 
`A month ago?'
 
`Are you deaf, baka! Yes, a month ago. Now—whoa, hang back, you pup. Don't even think about that. That's not what happened and you know it.'
 
`She didn't tell us what she wanted to yet, it could be.'
 
Inuyasha cleared his throat. “So, what happened?”
 
“Well, I don't know how it began exactly. . . But I remember waking up in a motel about a hundred miles from here. But the weird thing is. . . I—I don't remember how I got there or why I was there. . . nothing.”
 
The annoying voice scoffed. `Great, she's a drinker! Did you know she drank that much?'
 
“So. . . you're here because you can't remember why you were at a motel?” Doubt laced his voice.
 
“No! I wouldn't waste your time with that! If that was the case, then I would've assumed I had gotten drunk.” She shuddered slightly. “No, that's not where my nightmare ended. I went down to the main entrance and asked one of the employee's at the check-in desk who had paid for my stay there.” Kagome paused, a wave of puzzlement washing over her.
 
Inuyasha, by now, had lost the feelings of niceness he had been forcing, and was completely frustrated with her.
 
Cocking his head he patiently asked, “Then what happened?”
 
“Well, she had to check the guest book. But she ended up telling me that it was in my name—Kagome Higurashi.”
 
Inuyasha quirked an eyebrow at her slight pause. “Is that it?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “I'm no where near done.”
 
`She's going to rave forever.'
 
`That's right. . . But just remember: I told you to send her away. But do you listen? Of course not!'
 
“So I was confused and asked the employee who had been helping me if she knew if I had come with anyone. She said that she hadn't been working the night before and couldn't answer that. . . But when I went up to my room, I found a note that said that I could go home whenever I wanted and that I lived in a small house not far from the hotel.”
 
Inuyasha leaned his cheek against his propped-up palm, quirking a brow. “Okay. So. . . did you go home then?”
 
`I didn't know she lived in a small house. . .'
 
`She doesn't. Remember?' Inuyasha remembered, all right. But that didn't make the damn voice shut-up. `She lived with her brother, mother, and grandfather in that old shrine.'
 
`Right.'
 
Kagome sighed. “I—Yes, I did. When I got there, though, I didn't have any memories whatsoever of the house, though. So I went inside thinking that maybe I was just—well, I have no idea what I thought, but I thought that maybe if I had a day or two all my memories would come back and I'd. . . well, be alright.”
 
“I take it that it didn't turn out that way?”
 
“No, I was in the house for a week. Nightmare; I was in a total nightmare—I slept in a bed that wasn't mine, I ate food that didn't belong to me, I lived in a house I didn't own, I went to a job that I didn't know a thing about, I worked with people I didn't know—but they swore they knew me. . . It was scary. . . Probably worse than any nightmare I had ever had.”
 
`That. . . does sound bad.'
 
`Don't take her side!'
 
`I'm not taking sides!' Inuyasha defended.
 
`Sure you aren't.'
 
“I guess you would be. What happened next?” Inuyasha spoke in a tone he didn't particularly like: soft, gentle, understanding.
 
Kagome smiled despite the stress that was evident in her features. “Well, after about a week I decided that I was tired of living in the dark, not even knowing what happened to me; so, I got in my car and drove. I drove aimlessly, looking for something—anything—that looked familiar in the slightest way. When I found nothing, I nearly died of disappointment. . . After quite a few hours of wandering, I pulled onto the side of the road. I hadn't been sitting there but fifteen minutes, trying to figure out what to do next, when I heard someone knocking on my window.
 
“More curious than anything, I rolled down the window to talk to the man. I asked him what he wanted and he said I looked like I was in distress. He then asked me what was wrong; I told him nothing, at first.” Kagome rolled her eyes. “But he was incredibly persistent and after a while, I ended up confessing that I was lost and couldn't remember anything of myself. I told him my name after he asked it. . . It was weird, you know? I felt like I knew him and could trust him, and I barely knew him. Well, he said he could help me with my problem, all I had to do was get in his car—I did. Maybe I was being stupid, but I trusted him and let him take me. I was in his mercy, and for all I knew, he was a kidnapper.”
 
`She was careless. . .'
 
`I suppose.'
 
Kagome paused as she took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Turned out he gave me a slip of permission paper and took me to a building where he said there was someone there who could help me remember at least something about me.”
 
“So. . . he wasn't a kidnapper. . .”
 
Kagome slowly shook her head. “No, he was your father, I think.”
 
`Of course he was.'
 
`Your father is merely trying to help. . .'
 
“Oh. . .” Inuyasha managed after a couple seconds of silence.
 
“Do you think. . . it was you he was talking about that could help me?”
 
The hanyou smiled sadly, “Yeah, it was.”
 
“. . .Will you help me?” Kagome bit her lip.
 
`Help. . . you?'
 
`Don't do it!'
 
Inuyasha mentally scoffed. `I ain't listenin' to you.'
 
`Sure you will—because if you don't you'll only be punishing yourself.'
 
`How so?'
 
`I think you know the answer to that.'
 
`That wouldn't be a. . . punishment.'
 
`Yes, it will be. I know it will. And then you'll whine at me.'
 
`Shut-up already, I can make my own decisions, you know.'
 
`Fine, but you must accept any consequences that come from this on your own.'
 
`What consequences?'
 
There was no answer for Inuyasha.
 
Sighing, he looked into the eyes of Kagome. Incredibly blue, like they always were.
 
“Yeah. . . of course I'll help you.”
 
“Thank-you!” springing from her seat, she landed on his torso in a hug.
 
`There will be many consequences. . .'
 
Inuyasha's mind fogged with confusion at the words spoken. He swallowed before looking down at the girl.
 
“Kagome?”
 
The girl slid back onto her chair. “Sorry, I just. . . It just so. . . relieving to know someone will help me; that I might wake up from this nightmare.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
Kagome sighed as she rested her head against the wall. She felt as though a lifetime of luggage was taken from her.
 
“I'm going to go and get someone to talk with you.” The hanyou stood up and started to head for the door.
 
Kagome's head snapped back up as she gazed at Inuyasha with puzzlement. “But I thought that you—”
 
“No matter what, I won't be able to do this all by myself. I'll need some help.” He paused, hand on the doorknob, to tell her.
 
“Okay. . . If you're sure.” Despite her words, she still looked somewhat troubled.
 
Inuyasha smiled reassuringly. “I swear I'm only doing this for your benefit.”
 
She nodded in reply, that was permission enough for Inuyasha to continue to the front entrance of his house, where the main desk was located.
 
Swerving around the corner, he stopped in front of the middle-aged woman that worked the desk. He cleared his throat to attract her attention that was on copying a contract into the computer base.
 
She looked up at him and smiled in greeting. “What can I do for you, Mister Inuyasha?”
 
“I need you to have someone track Jankotsu for me.”
 
“Of course, Mister Inuyasha. I'll have Bankotsu find him immediately,” she replied earnestly.
 
“Tell him to meet me in the waiting room.”
 
She opened her mouth before closing it, confused for a second. “Which one?”
 
“The new one.”
 
She contemplated that. “The storage room one?”
 
“Yes, that one,” Inuyasha snapped.
 
“I'm sorry to upset you, Mister Inuyasha.”
 
“Whatever, just get him. It's urgent.”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
Inuyasha gave a sigh of exasperation before retracing his path to where Kagome was waiting.
 
`I really do hate the employees.'
 
`Of course you do.'
 
`And you, you just shut the hell up.'
 
`Make me.'
 
`How I wish I could. . .'
 
~*~
 
“So you understand?”
 
“An accident? How careless are you getting?” A male voice snapped back.
 
“I wish them to know.”
 
The man sighed, replying a bit nastily. “Of course you do.”
 
“You are to tell them.”
 
The man paused before taking the cell phone from his ear, giving it a look, despite the knowledge that the person on the line wouldn't be able to see him. “Have you any brains? You do know that if I were to be caught, we would both be in deadly trouble, right?”
 
“What I say is, and you are to tell them. It's not any fun if the hunted didn't run before the hunter gets them.”
 
The man gave an incredibly long sigh. “Fine, I will. What am I supposed to do to help you fix your stupid. . . `accident'?”
 
“Nothing. That is part of the hunt. Always surprise your prey.”
 
“I understand.”
 
“Good.” There was a chuckle from the other end of the phone. “Now, go on. Let the games begin.”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
~*~
 
“No. . . way.”
 
“Yep, couldn't show his face in the house for days.”
 
Kagome burst into a fit of giggles imagining Inuyasha's brother making such an embarrassing mistake.
 
“Though, I have to say, it was quite enjoyable to have him inexistent for a few days. . .”
 
“You're so cruel.” Kagome managed through giggles.
 
“ `Course I am.”
 
In response to that, Kagome bit her lip to keep the next round of laughter down.
 
`Damn it!'
 
`Poor puppy having a tantrum?'
 
`It is a lot harder than I thought to make her remember.'
 
`You thought that if you were to talk of things that happened to you with her she would remember, didn't you? You really are a baka.'
 
`Didn't I tell you to shut-up?'
 
Kagome sighed as calmed down.
 
“Sounds like you and your friend had a lot of fun.”
 
Inuyasha smiled sadly. “Uh-huh. We did. She and I went way back.”
 
“She was a lucky girl.”
 
“No, not really, it was more that—”
 
There was a knock on the door before it opened and a tall man came in. “Thought you were up to no good in here, guess I didn't need to knock, though.”
 
“No, actually, you didn't.” Inuyasha growled in response.
 
Kagome blinked at the more feminine-looking male.
 
“Kagome, this is Jankotsu.” Inuyasha ground out, glowering at the man.
 
Jankotsu smiled at her before turning his attention to Inuyasha. “What was it that was so important, now?”
 
“Kagome has lost her memory and I'm to help her gain it back.”
 
“A charity case? What's the use in that?”
 
“It would be helpful to her.”
 
Jankotsu sighed before answering seriously. “Just kidding. I had previously gotten some information this morning after you left. I was going to tell you later tonight.”
 
“What?” Inuyasha snapped back.
 
He gave a sorrowful smile. “You had both better sit down.”
 
Inuyasha and Kagome did what he suggested before Jankotsu crossed his arms, ready to answer. “I had received something from the head security officer about a rumor. Only minutes later, did I learn that it was the truth.”
 
“What was it?” Inuyasha prompted, false patience lacing his tone.
 
“That there was a young girl that was some sort of destruction tool or something. She had apparently escaped from a. . . special,” he paused to give Inuyasha a meaningful look, who, in turn, nodded his understanding; “base somewhere nearby that was testing DNA and genes to. . . transform them to resemble a destructive weapon.”
 
Inuyasha blinked at him, totally unconvinced. “Uh. . . Can you do that?”
 
Jankotsu shrugged. “There are many things we can do in. . . special laboratories that you can't in a regular one. So it might just be possible. But I don't think that in this case it's an over exaggeration.”
 
Inuyasha cast him a look. “So you think it's the truth?”
 
“Well. . . yeah.”
 
“So what would happen if this. . . weapon were to be activated?”
 
“Mayhem. Absolute mayhem; if she were to be activated, massive earthquakes would—to put it bluntly—rock your world, inactive. . . animals would rabidly attack humans, wishing for nothing but their death; everything would most likely fall apart.”
 
“All over a girl. . .?”
 
Jankotsu nodded grimly, “Yeah.”
 
“And how would this involve Kagome. . .?”
 
Jankotsu cast him a look. “Are you really that dense? Think about it.”
 
Inuyasha complied to that. `How. . .?'
 
`Are you really that stupid?'
 
`Weapon. . .? . . .Weapon? Weapon! No-o-o-o-o, no way. Uh-uh; there's no way in—'
 
`If you don't think so, then why in hell in Jankotsu telling you this?'
 
`But it. . . it couldn't be. . .'
 
Inuyasha sighed before turning to Kagome. “Kagome. . . if what he says is the truth, then you don't remember your past because. . . someone. . . operated you to become a weapon—of massive destruction.” He stopped to see her reaction to that.
 
It was slow, really. First her eyebrows fell down to almost touch her eyes. Then they widened, her mouth opening slightly, before she snapped it shut and her gaze narrowed. “Why exactly should I believe you?”
 
Inuyasha sighed. “You don't have a reason; you'll just have to listen to what your gut tells you.”
 
`She's not going to believe us. . .'
 
`That's fine.'
 
`She's going to leave.'
 
`That's fine.'
 
`You need to shut-up.'
 
`That's fine.'
 
Kagome inhaled sharply, her mental battle ending. “I don't have a reason to believe you, no. But you are my only help, whether or not you're crazy. I guess I have no hope but trust and believe you.”
 
Inuyasha relaxed against his chair. `I shouldn't be happy.'
 
`I know.'
 
`You really need to shut-up now.'
 
`Wait, I'm not done.”
 
“What more is there, Jankotsu?” Inuyasha barked.
 
“She's not complete!”
 
“C-complete?”
 
“Duh, she wasn't done being worked on. She apparently escaped. I wasn't told how, though. But here's the important thing to know: Her. . . `power'—if you want to call it—is still inside her. Her purifying strength won't be able to control the power she has in her system for long.”
 
Inuyasha glared at Jankotsu, not happy at his choice of words. `He can't tell her she's a miko!'
 
`You do know that none of this will make sense unless you tell her about what you are and what she is, right?'
 
`You! Shut-up'
 
Jankotsu gave Kagome a remorseful smile. “I'd say she only has about thirty days before it wakens. . . and then we're all going to be in trouble.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened as she looked at the man—who she supposed had to be crazy.
 
`Oh, God! I'm stuck in a house with nothing but lunatics! When will this nightmare end!'
 
~*~
 
~reviewers~
~Higher Being~ ~Midnight Moon~ ~Anubis Himura~ ~inuyashloverr~ ~Giggles a lot~ ~Dark Moon Star~ ~inuyasha cute doggy ears~ dangersque—I'm glad you thought it was an evil cliffie. Yes, Sesshoumaru was being an ass, there wasn't any bad grammar - LoL~ ~Inuyasha luvrr11~ ~SeikoChan~ ~Gothic Kagome~ ~lilomeinthecorner~
 
 
I finally am able to post this! I had no time before! . . . Sorry. . . But I have a fairly large chunk of the next chapter done, so if you review, I'll finish it and post it. . . I edited this and put a new version of the Q/A because I was getting bored of the older way. . .
 
Tootles!
~Sayo