InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Ever After ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters, no matter how I may wish otherwise. This story is written for pleasure and entertainment. I make no money from this (but if you would like to give me some…)
 
Authors Note: This is an overhaul of my previous version of this chapter. Now that I have finished the bulk of my freelance work, I am trying to get this written. However, there were quite a few corrections I wanted to make on chapters 1 & 2 before pressing forward.
00000
 
There were times when his entourage never ceased to amaze him.  When he announce to Jaken and Ah Un, the only two persons whom he cared to share this news with, the elevated status of his former ward, they provided very little reaction.  Jaken looked up at the two of them; Sesshomaru standing as tall and aloof as ever, and Rin by his side, her hands folded demurely in front of her as she blushed slightly.  He smiled knowingly, nodding his head and continued to twirl his spitted rabbit over the fire.  Ah Un barley gave them a glance as he dozed nearby, briefly opening one lazy eye and grunting in recognition.  His other head remained asleep.
`Really', Sesshomaru thought, slightly exasperated, `was it that obvious!'
Sesshomaru decided to court Rin formally, to which she had no qualms.  Both had an idea about the deeper aspects of a physical relationship. Rin's were acquired through the patient tutelage of Kagome, and Sesshomaru's, through several horrifically embarrassing adolescent conversations with his father. However, untried knowledge is just that…untried.  They moved forward in their new relationship slowly, neither wishing to rush one another. 
For his part, Sesshomaru tried his best to romance his young intended. Overall, their interaction did not change much from what it was. They still engaged one another in conversation, though Sesshomaru attempted, in his own stiff and reserved way, to be more vocal in his praise of her.
Rin could not help but appreciate his efforts.
One night, feeling particularly indulgent and of good spirits, he took her to a secluded moonlit lake. The air was beginning to warm from the winter chill, and a full moon cast a soft glow upon the water. Rin was thrilled, and shocked that he would think of something so romantic. She smiled brightly as they walked, fingers entwined, along the bank. Occasionally a strangely shaped rock or new spring bloom would catch her eye and she would stoop to examine her new treasure, holding it out to him to likewise admire. Sesshomaru could never understand her excitement over such simple things, but marveled at her ability to find beauty in the ordinary, and did his best to humor her enthusiasm.
`And,' he thought as his ordinary human girl crouched down to acquire yet another rock, that she proclaimed bore a striking resemblance to a dragon, `maybe we are more alike in that respect than I would care to admit.'
Rin straitened to show him her grand find, and was startled as he drew her against his chest, leaning forward to kiss her breathless.
It was a cool, breezy day in early spring when they finally sealed their relationship in matrimony.  The ceremony commenced with little fanfare, and was performed by Bokusenou. No houshi would provide such a service, and the ancient magnolia was the closest thing to a holy man that Sesshomaru knew.  Jaken and Ah Un bore witness to the couple's union.  The imp feigned stoicism, but his large, watery eyes gave him away.  Rin had become like a daughter to him, and Sesshomaru was his powerful lord.  To Jaken, there could not be a more perfect joining.
Rin wore a formal kimono for the event, something she kept carefully packed away for special occasions.  She used a wreath of Bokusenou's blossoms to adorn her hair, which fell loose down her back.  Sesshomaru was dressed in his normal attire, but he could not help but allow her to indulge in this.  After all, it was his eyes that would benefit from Rin's fussing.
When all was said and done, Sesshomaru and Rin departed alone.  Sesshomaru gave the imp and dragon a cursory glance, and told them quietly,
“We will return in a week.”
Jaken snickered. Sesshomaru replied with a stone to his temple.
As the new couple faded from view, Jaken turned to Ah Un and patted him gently. 
“It looks as if we are left behind again, my old friend,” Jaken lamented.
Ah Un sniffed in response.
“Does this new development disturb you, imp?” the deep voice of Bokusenou interrupted.
Jaken turned wide-eyed to look at the tree demon.
Disturb me?” he questioned, “Why on earth would it?!” he added indignantly.
“It would appear that your lord has inherited his father's taste in women,” the tree replied, “Certainly, you must fear the repercussions of his marriage to a human.  Not even his great father was foolish enough to marry his mistress.  He will be challenged more for this action then when he inherited his mantle at such a young age.”
“No yokai can stand against Lord Sesshomaru!” Jaken exclaimed.  Ah Un grunted in agreement behind him.
“Indeed,” replied Bokusenou, “but certainly he has grown soft since he met that girl.”
“Just what are you implying,” screeched Jaken, “he may not kill without reason anymore…and, indeed, my head has received less abuse, but Lord Sesshomaru is still the most feared yokai in the lands. “
“I'll have you remember,” Jaken added, “that not even that scoundrel Naraku could stand against him.”
Bokusenou laughed deep and long, his boughs shaking with his mirth.
“You are truly a loyal servant,” he said smiling, “I am glad to see that my former master's son has such fine companions.  Fear not, little imp, I meant no harm by my words.”
`He was testing me,' Jaken realized, `Harrumph! As if my loyalty to Lord Sesshomaru could ever be questioned'
And with that self-satisfied thought, Jaken waited with Ah Un until their master's return.
Sesshomaru, true to his word, returned with Rin in exactly a week's time.  Jaken almost didn't recognize the pair.  There was a comfortable familiarity to them that had never existed before, as they strode up the forest path to their waiting companions. The imp could not contain a quiet bout of laughter.
`Well,' he snickered, nudging Ah Un slightly, `they certainly seem to have gotten something out of their systems.' Ah Un tilted his heads slightly in the imp's direction, his thought's running along the same path.
If Sesshomaru noticed the exchange, he never mentioned it, merely helped Rin on to Ah Un's back and took the lead of his little group.
They continued in their normal routine.  Occasionally, Rin and Sesshomaru would slip away, only to return a few hours later.  Jaken kept this observation to himself, though he and Ah Un were placing bets as to when their traveling party would grow.  As fate would have it, they would not have to wait long. 
A few months after their marriage, Rin became ill.  Sesshomaru, suddenly and uncharacteristically deathly afraid of fatherhood, made no move to ask her about her condition.
`No sense in jumping to false conclusions,' he decided, `If she is… If she were that then she would have told me. Her scent could have shifted for any number of reasons.'
They had stopped for the evening.  Jaken was holding Tenseiga, while Sesshomaru ran a sharpening stone over the blade.  The sword really didn't need the attention, but it was a mundane task that allowed Sesshomaru to let his thoughts wander to Rin.  They had settled amidst a grove of cherry trees loosing their blossoms.  The ground was peppered with tiny white petals, giving it the appearance of fallen snow.  Rin had gone to bathe with Ah Un to keep watch.  Normally, Sesshomaru would accompany her, but tonight she asked to go with only the dragon for protection. 
“I would like a moment alone with my own thoughts,” she snapped. 
Sesshomaru, a bit taken aback, waved her off, only adding to her ire.  She gave him the most impressive scowl he had ever seen on a woman, human or demon, and flounced off angrily, grumbling about insensitive yokai.
`She has certainly been on edge lately,' Sesshomaru thought as the stone rang across the metal of Tenseiga. He was so engrossed in his concern for her, that he did not hear her return.
“Sesshomaru,” Rin cut into his thoughts.  Sesshomaru cringed at the edge of her voice.  It did not sound as though she had a relaxing time at the hot spring.
“Sesshomaru,” Rin said more sharply, and Sesshomaru realized that she had expected him to answer her.
`Hn…I would have killed anyone else. I must truly care for this confusing creature.'
“Yes…Rin?”
“I…I need to speak with you,” she said, a slight quiver to her voice.
Sesshomaru turned to his vassal as he retrieved Tenseiga from him and returned it to its sheath.
“Jaken,”
“Yes, my lord.”
“Take Ah Un to graze.”
“Yes, my lord,” the imp said with a bow. 
Jaken gave a quick glance to Rin as he hurried to take the dragons reigns and lead him away.  Rin remained facing forward, her steady, steely gaze on her husband.  Her face was masked with a lack of emotion.
`She has picked up far too many habits from Lord Sesshomaru,' he realized.
After their vassals departed through the tree line, Sesshomaru motioned for Rin to sit next to him.  She walked resolutely to her place by his side and sat, cushioned by his pelt.  Sesshomaru could sense her distress.
“What troubles you, Rin?” he inquired.  Deep down, he had a suspicion as to what she wanted to talk to him about.
“I…am pregnant, my lord.”
Sesshomaru bowed his head.
“Hn, I thought as much.”
“You knew!” Rin replied incredulously, suddenly furious.
Sesshomaru gave her a sharp look of his own.
“I did not know…I suspected,” he clarified, “Your scent has changed,” he added quietly.
Rin's anger subsided as quickly as it had risen. She bowed her head, shifting beneath his gaze.
“You are not happy with this development?” he asked, “There are certain repercussions for the activities we have been engaging in.”
Rin blushed, her lips drawing up and a mischievous grin.
“Hentai,” she breathed, “Of course I am happy…that's not to say…Well, I wasn't sure if you would be pleased.”
“Rin, we have discussed this…”
“I know,” she cut him off, somewhat testily, “but theoretical children are different from actual children.  You said that there might be a possibility that we could never have children.  I thought that you might have been hoping for that.”
`Why on earth would she think…Hn, Inuyasha.'
Of course she would be concerned, considering the rocky relationship he had always held with his brother. It was one of the few things that he never talked to her about. It was his business. His own, personal vendetta. His dislike of Inuyasha had nothing to do with her or anyone else.
“Rin”
Rin looked up from her lap, her soft features drawn in worry.  Sesshomaru leaned towards her.  Cupping her cheek, he spoke reassuringly, 
“Any child you could give me would make me happy,” he said, “When we discussed this before, I only wanted you to be aware of all the possibilities.”
“But…” she began timidly, “what if the child is like the one you told me about.  What if it is like your cousin.”
Sesshomaru pulled back from her, somewhat shocked.  He had forgotten that he told Rin about that particularly nasty part of his family history. 
`What if this child is like that unfortunate creature'? He thought. 
His heart sped up at the very idea of such a thing.  He had not even considered that possibility for his own children. He wasn't even sure that they would have children at all. Apparently, Rin had taken that conversation to heart. 
`'It is my own foolishness, not to have prepared myself for such an occurance.  We may have discussed it, but I never gave it a second thought.  We should have never carried on in such a fashion' he glanced aside at Rin's worried face, 'but she agreed, and here we are.  There is no going back now.'
The union of yokai and man was rare, and even more rarely did that union result in a child, a hanyou.  Some hanyou were born with an appearance like his brother.  Overall, quite human, with some visages of their demon heritage.  Others, like the demon horticulturalist Jenengi, resembled their demon parent in their true form.  They were not considered beautiful by the standards of men, but were still powerful in their own right. Then, there were the least fortunate offspring.  Deformed beyond reason, these children were sickly and weak from birth.  They were doomed to die a painful death as a result of their own ill breeding.
When Sesshomaru was still young, before his father fell in love with a human princess, and the name Inu-No-Taisho was spoken in awe and reverence, his father wanted to teach him a lesson in responsibility.  The Great Dog General did not always posses a soft spot for human females.  In fact, there was a time that the idea of a hanyou in the family both disgusted and embarrassed him.  It was in this vein that he raised his son.  A Yokai Lord that was not powerful, aloof and without distraction was doomed to fall.
“Sesshomaru,” the booming voice of his late father echoed in his mind, “you must be careful, my son, never to draw too close a human.”
“We were only playing, father,” his younger self argued resolutely. 
He was just a boy by the standards of his kind, a scant seventy-five years old. Sesshomaru found himself visiting a nearby village to observe these strange, mortal creatures. He met The Girl, for after these many long years he had forgotten her name, when she had sprained her ankle in the woods. He brought her home, amidst the startled, frightened cries of her family and returned later in secret to see if she was well. They became fast friends, for he was the youngest child in the fortress. It was comforting to be around someone his own age, especially since she didn't make that awful screaming racket, like her parents had when he returned her to them. They met secretly in the forest, played for a few hours, and went their separate ways by dusk. She was good natured and honest and didn't bow or fawn over him like his father's annoying courtesans.
He liked her.
“You kissed her, Sesshomaru”
Sesshomaru blushed the shade of his stripes.
“I just…wanted to see what it was like,” he whispered, ashamed.
The Inu-No-Taisho gave his son a sideways glance as he led him down another level of corridors.
“Indeed,” was all he said.
The Inu-No-Taisho housed his family in these caves, built in the days of Sesshomaru's great-great-great grandfather, before the humans' immigration from the continent.  The oldest and deepest caverns, being those they now passed through.  As he followed his sire deeper into the labyrinth that was his father's fortress, he began to ponder the motives of this outing. 
“Where are we going, father?” Sesshomaru wondered aloud.
“I am taking you to meet your new cousin, Hotaru,” his father answered, his tone bored.
“I thought you said I couldn't meet her,” Sesshomaru said, looking up to his father's expressionless face.  He was told of his great aunt's pregnancy several months ago.  A samurai she fancied for a time supposedly sired her child.  Sesshomaru could not deny that he was curious as to what a hanyou looked like.  He had heard of them before only in stories.
“I have changed my mind,” his father replied stoically, and Sesshomaru did not like his tone.
His aunt's new chambers were deep within his father's compound.  Why they had moved her here, Sesshomaru didn't know.  He did know, that this particular part of their home made his hackles rise.  It was dark and dreary, the walls chipped by innumerable ages and the air dense and stuffy.  Very few ventured down here.  Not even the staff would come unless specially sent for.
Only Yuki and her new daughter resided in these corridors.
The Inu-No-Taisho came to stop in front of a set of shoji doors.  They were set into the very stone of the mountain, the wood even older than the current Lord of the Dogs.  A soft glow came through the water-stained paper, and Sesshomaru could hear the mewling of an infant on the other side.  His father paused, his fist hovering over the doorframe as a look of concern crossed his face, before knocking gently on the screen.
“Who is it?”
“It is I, your nephew,” replied his father.
The shoji screen opened to reveal his great aunt.  She was a tall woman, almost as tall as his father, with snow-white hair that was pulled loosely at the base of her neck.  Her eyes were the brilliant blue of a clear afternoon sky. She wore a simple, blue yukata and a tired expression. When her eyes alighted on the pair, she seems to become even more tired.
“How may I help you, my lord?” she inquired, giving Sesshomaru a quick, cursory glance.
“I have brought Sesshomaru to meet his cousin,” his father replied.  Yuki's expression flashed anger for a moment, then she bowed and pulled back to allow the pair to enter.
“As my lord wishes,” she said vehemently.
Sesshomaru entered the room with his father.  It was dressed simply and bathed in a warm light from a small lantern.  A woven basket lay next to the futon, heaped in linens.  Sesshomaru could hear a soft whimpering from underneath the cloth, which rustled occasionally.
Yuki led them to the basket and knelt to reveal her daughter from beneath her covering.  Sesshomaru's eyes widened in horror.
The infant, if what he was seeing could be called an infant, whined at the sudden burst of cold.  Her naked skin was wrinkled and dark with liver spots.  Eyes, misshapen and asymmetrical, were clouded over in blindness.  Her arms were half formed, stunted and curled in, and the fingers were arthritic claws with bulging joints.  What he thought was mewling was the child's labored breathing.  Her chest heaved and wheezed with each breath, as though every intake of air through her twisted, toothless mouth was painful.
Sesshomaru wanted to vomit.  The girl reeked of death, and being in the room with her was making him nauseous.
“You should just kill the wretched thing,” his father said, breaking the uneasy silence, “And spare her this misery.”
“I will do no such thing,” Yuki spat, throwing the covers back over her daughter.
“This is my child,” she continued, ”I have obeyed you, and kept her away from your precious courtesans and generals.  I will not slay my own daughter.  If this is the life she has been given, then I will see it through with her, and make her comfortable until she passes.”
“It would be kinder to kill her,” his father replied, and turned to leave, “Sesshomaru, come.”
As they traveled back to the main section of the compound, his father was silent.  Then he turned to his son, who was still trying to reign in his queasy stomach.
“Do you see now, why I have told you to stay away from mortals?” he asked, his voice somber, “No good can come from a liaison with them.  Yuki will be saddled with that creature until it dies.”
Sesshomaru later learned that the girl passed several weeks later.  The child's organs had not grown at the same rate, her heart finally gave out in exhaustion.  Yuki kept her heavily medicated with liquid opium, and remained steadily by her side until her final breath. There was no fanfare for Hotaru's funeral. If Sesshomaru did not meet his cousin, he would have never known of the girl's existence.
Sesshomaru was forbidden to return to the village. What became of his friend, he never knew. When he came of age, and started out on his own, he did stop there along the way to securing the outer boarders. He found nothing, the village long destroyed. Six decades had passed since he played there.
Later, when the Inu-No-Taisho took a human princess as his mistress, Sesshomaru wondered why his father did not remember the lesson that he taught his son a scant century prior.  Inuyasha hadn't been born with the horrible deformities that Hotaru had, but that didn't mean that his conception was not a gamble.  Humans and yokai were simply different from one another. 
Sesshomaru rarely though of Rin as human, her upbringing gave her a more yokai way of looking at things. It was one of the reasons he conceded so easily to his heart in the matter of marrying her. She was, simply, not like other humans; but at this moment, he was keenly aware of her humanity.
Sesshomaru drew Rin against him with his good arm, nuzzling her hair.  If he focused his numinous hearing on her, he could barely make out the steady, second thumping of a tiny heart.
`There is no way of knowing what form this child will take,' he reassured himself, `we can only wait and see.'
“Do not fear,” he told her gently, “all will be well.”
And in his heart, he hoped for it to be true.