InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Exploring the Sengoku Jidai ❯ Miroku's Thankless Task #451 ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: A not-so-little piece of character study fluff written for the “5 POVs” community on Live Journal. The task? Write about a pairing from the “Point of View” of five different characters in that fandom. Big surprise, I chose Kagome+InuYasha's relationship. Commentator's chosen: Miroku, Sesshomaru, Kikyo, Kouga, Shippou, and *Bonus* - Naraku. Takes place after chapter: #451 in the manga (only a few little spoilers, though). And yes, I take a harmless little jab at the Ses/Kag and Inu/Mir pairings …I just couldn't help myself. I know it's kinda' long, so I put headings in so you can skip to your favorite characters.
 
Rated G. Of course, I don't own any of these characters.
 
Miroku's Thankless Task
 
Everyone was exhausted, but no one more than Miroku. Not only had he overused his kazaana in the last battle - despite repeated warnings from absolutely everyone - and barely survived those demon porcupine things, but he'd had to listen to Kagome and InuYasha bicker over Kouga's advances all the way home.
 
“He sniffs around you like a dog!” InuYasha said petulantly to Kagome, riding on his back only an arm's length from where Miroku sat with Sango on Kilala.
 
“No,” Kagome said, her voice rising, “you sniff around me like a dog.” She bopped him lightly on the head as it bobbed under her chin, “he sniffs me like a wolf!”
 
Whatever effect Kagome intended to have with these words was not clear, but InuYasha grumbled just the same. Shortly after that, Sango headed back to the demonslayer's village to repair her hiriakotsu, Shippou had gone with Kouga earlier, the two becoming quite cozy in the weeks since Kouga had glommed onto the band in their hunt for Naraku. Miroku wasn't sure if Shippou and Kouga were really becoming friends, or if Shippou just needed a break from his surrogate big sister and big brother's constant sniping. He knew he could sure use a break from it!
 
“What about you?” the fight wasn't over as Kagome huffed along after InuYasha through the tall grass surrounding the village, “you sure get polite when Kikyo's around, despite the fact she may still want to kill you!” InuYasha's back stiffened, and Miroku rolled his eyes. Here it comes, he thought. Sure enough, the predictable defense floated towards him over the bobbing heads of his companions as they entered the village ahead of him.
 
“Kikyo is hurt,” InuYasha said of his ex-girlfriend and possibly-ex-stalker. “In case you hadn't noticed, she's been helping us lately.”
 
Without another word, they each went their own way, Kagome to Kaede's hut to restock medicinal herbs, InuYasha to the village Head Man to discuss recent bandit sightings and Miroku to the village monk to get the local demon news. Miroku was glad to be rid of his prickly companions.
 
POV #1 - Miroku
 
A few hours later, Miroku was by the stream, refilling water bottles, washing out some clothes from the journey and resting his tired feet. He saw Kaede's hut through the brush and was glad to see InuYasha perched on its roof, surveying the valley and growing fields below. As he had hoped, the fight was a short lived one, and InuYasha was back inside Kagome's sphere, never allowing her to be too far from him. The monk took a moment to reflect on the friendship that had grown into love between his two friends. Of course, they'd never said that out loud to each other or to their traveling companions, but he was sure that love had indeed sprung up between them. At least he was sure that love was what Kagome felt for InuYasha. InuYasha's feelings were much harder to decipher.
 
Kagome was a beautiful soul, kind and loving to everyone she met. But she was particularly devoted to InuYasha. She had taken up his causes - first to regather the jewel fragments, then to kill Naraku, and finally to avenge Kikyo - for little other reason than that it is what InuYasha needed to do. She had told Sango, and Sango had told Miroku, that she had been in love with InuYasha ever since the time he had sworn to protect Kikyo from Naraku and had let Kagome run away. For reasons neither he nor Sango understood, that was when Kagome had acknowledged her love for him to herself and sworn to stay by his side through the rest of their journey. That had been years ago, and she'd stayed true to her promise, helping them fight, tending their wounds and tamping down her jealousy over InuYasha's continued adoration of his zombie-ex, Kikyo.
 
InuYasha had at first been very brusque with Kagome, pushing her away constantly as she tried to help, resisting her attempts to befriend him, and then love him. Even though Miroku considered InuYasha his best friend, having fought together and laughed together now for some time, he could not for the life of him understand why the half-demon so steadfastly refused to claim Kagome as his own and accept her love. God knows Miroku himself would have done so long ago had InuYasha not growled at him every time he even thought about it (how had he always known when Miroku was thinking such thoughts?). Miroku credited his life in those early days to the fact that Sango had joined them shortly after Miroku joined up with Kagome and InuYasha. Sango had kept him in his place ever since, quickly winning his heart.
 
Miroku continued to wonder at InuYasha's continued emotional distance from Kagome. He certainly couldn't seriously think his relationship with Kikyo, literally a member of the walking dead, could go anywhere. At one time, InuYasha had all but admitted his intent to follow Kikyo to the grave once they had defeated Naraku. But Miroku found it extremely hard to believe that the half-human half-dog demon, one of the liveliest beings Miroku had ever met, would allow that fate to befall him in the end.
 
Watching InuYasha scratch himself behind the ear with his foot, sitting atop the roof, a thought struck Miroku for the first time. Maybe InuYasha's demon half was preventing him from really understanding what a human love relationship could be. When he thought about it, Miroku saw the parallels between InuYasha's behavior and that of a devoted dog. Although he never left her side, except to seek out Kikyo, InuYasha's behavior with Kagome was predominantly protective. He accompanied her, guarded her, and tended to her when she was hurt, just as a dog might do if it could talk and move like a human. Maybe he had just adopted Kagome as his mistress and that was all she would ever be to him.
 
Miroku found this thought disturbing, knowing how it would crush Kagome if it were true. Then something else occurred to him. Maybe InuYasha didn't know about - well, about how … humans - well, expressed their feelings for one another. After all, his parents had never been together when he was young, his father having died protecting the newborn InuYasha and his mother on the day of his birth. InuYasha hadn't lived with humans long after his mother's death to see how a good relationship might function. As a matter of fact, he thought, InuYasha hadn't lived around humans at all, except for Miroku and Sango, and upon further reflection, Miroku decided that this was not a good model either. Maybe it was time he had a word with InuYasha, told him about the birds and the bees in human terms. He owed him that much, at least.
 
Just as he stood to seek out his friend, he saw the flash of InuYasha's red haori as he leapt off the roof and ran after someone on the path. Miroku hurriedly put on his sandals and rushed after him. He caught a glimpse of Kagome's green skirt and knew that InuYasha was chasing after her. They were headed towards the well. He heard words, but couldn't make out what they were talking about. Miroku soon came into sight of the pair at the well, and quickly hid behind a tree. Peeking around the rough bark, he saw Kagome perched on its rim ready to jump down into time, and there was InuYasha, standing resolutely with his fists jammed into his hips. Miroku sighed; it looked like the fight was far from over.
 
“He may not mean anything to you, but he means everything to me!” Kagome was furious, almost crying. Miroku felt a stab of shock. Was she was declaring love for Kouga right to InuYasha's face? How had the argument gotten so out of control? Kagome continued, “I'm going home!” And she was gone.
 
Miroku decided not to approach InuYasha just then, thinking the half demon would be better off dealing with this on his own at first. Actually, you coward, he thought to himself, you just don't want to go out there and take the brunt of his bruised ego.
 
InuYasha growled and shouted down the well after her. “Go home already! See if I care what he says!” And then he dashed into the woods, headed back in the direction they had last left Kouga. Miroku heard him mutter words Kagome couldn't hear, “I'll show him!”
 
POV #2- Sesshomaru
 
Miroku was unsure what to do. He couldn't go down the well after Kagome since he would just land on medieval dust at the bottom - only InuYasha could follow her to her own time. He knew he couldn't catch up with InuYasha either, the hanyou having taken off at such a clip. He was just heading back to the village when his old friend, Hachi, floated out of the sky and plopped down in front of him.
 
“Master Miroku!” The fat raccoon tanuki ran over, huffing. “Naraku is loose again!” He's been seen pillaging over to the East!” The little demon's paw pointed in the exact opposite direction of InuYasha's mad dash. Miroku noticed with some trepidation that it was also pointing in the direction of Sango's demonslayer's village. He was torn, knowing that he couldn't exactly fight Naraku on his own, even to protect Sango (he'd just learned that the hard way) but not really wanting to take the time to chase off after InuYasha either. There was only one solution.
 
“Hachi,” Miroku turned on the tanuki, “blow up fast. We have to find InuYasha!”
 
Hachi grumbled something about not doing any more favors for monks and exploded into a long floating sausage which Miroku mounted with agility. They headed off to the West.
 
Shortly, Miroku spotted a flash of silver white hair in the forest below and directed Hachi downwards. They landed in a clearing. Miroku hopped off only to see he'd discovered the wrong inu demon. A little stab of adrenaline shot through him as he saw InuYasha's half brother, Sesshomaru, emerge from the depths of the forest. Sesshomaru was one of the most fearsome creatures Miroku had ever seen in a fight. Luckily, he was not easily angered. Unluckily, the subject of his half brother was usually what pissed him off the most. Miroku took a deep breath.
 
“Good day, Lord Sesshomaru,” he didn't bow, but he thought about it. Sesshomaru, as expected, hardly noticed the monk and moved to walk past him with little more than a glance. Miroku thought he would try again, in case Sesshomaru had seen InuYasha earlier today. “Have you seen InuYasha? We have a lead on Naraku and I have to find him.” Sesshomaru stopped, his back still turned.
 
“I have not seen my worthless sibling,” he paused a particularly disdainful pause, “and if I had, I would have killed him.” Was that a sniff? “I will be the one to kill Naraku,” he finished with a haughty shake of his hair. Curiosity must have gotten to him, though, “why are you separated? It is not like my brother to part from his human company,” another disdainful pause, “where is his girl?”
 
“Well, that's part of the problem,” Miroku admitted, feeling somewhat like a tattletale, “he and Kagome had a fight and he ran off. I need to find him.”
 
“They fight often, do they not?” Sesshomaru was unusually curious today.
 
“Well, yes, they do,” feeling more like a tattletale, Miroku moved to Hachi's bloated side, ready to move on.
 
“Do you think they will mate?” Sesshomaru was being way too curious, Miroku thought, almost gossiping like this! But his interest was piqued as to why Sesshomaru would care so much, so he turned back around to gaze upon the impassive face that turned towards him at the same moment. Looking into Sesshomaru's eyes was like walking into a freezing rain.
 
“I really have no idea,” Miroku answered truthfully. “It wouldn't surprise me if they did. But then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't,” he finished rather lamely. “Why do you ask?”
 
“I find it fascinating to observe my brother emulate the weaknesses of his father,” Sesshomaru's voice was distant, as though his mind was on more important things. “He exhibits virtually none of our father's strengths, all of his weaknesses, and then some.” He sniffed again. “His greatest weakness is his affection for that human girl.”
 
“What makes you say that?” Miroku felt a little affronted on behalf of the human race, and his tone betrayed his pride. Sesshomaru noticed, boring his gaze into the monk.
 
“Humans are sentimental,” he flung the word at the human in front of him like an insult. “My brother's willingness to risk his own life for hers - or yours for that matter - will get him killed someday.” He saw Miroku's skeptical look. “Like father, like half-breed son.”
 
“I believe that Kagome's love for InuYasha has already saved his life on many occasions,” Miroku winced to himself when he saw Sesshomaru's displeasure at his effrontery, but he didn't back down.
 
“Perhaps,” Sesshomaru did not sound at all convinced. “But mark my words. In the end it will mean only his death.” Miroku kept his mouth shut this time, wanting to get going again on his hunt. Sesshomaru glanced over Miroku's head, grasping a new thought from the air. “If he did not choose such powerful women,” his eyes dropped to Miroku's as though passing a message, “he would not befall such a fate.”
 
Miroku was surprised to hear that Sesshomaru thought both Kikyo and Kagome had such power. Though he thought so himself, he had never seen Sesshomaru give either of them a passing glance. In good Japanese nobleman fashion, Sesshomaru always ignored women in a public setting. Miroku didn't really think this conversation was leading him anywhere useful, and he moved to leave, but Sesshomaru was not finished. “There is a rumor in the demon community that I, Sesshomaru, seek to mate with the girl, Kagome.”
 
Miroku was shocked and a little frightened on Kagome's behalf. The image of … he screwed up his face at the very thought.
 
“You may assure my worthless half brother that these rumors are entirely false,” Sesshomaru did turn away this time. “I do not share my father's - or my brother's - poor taste in women.” As he walked away, one more sentence floated the distance between them, “and if I did, I would choose someone more … respectful.”
 
Sesshomaru left Miroku standing next to Hachi, mouth open, and disgusted.
 
POV #3- Kikyo
 
Miroku and Hachi hadn't been in the air long when he saw another flash of color down below, red cloth flitting between the leaves of the trees. Hoping it was InuYasha's red haori and hakama pants, they descended quickly. But as they touched down, a chill ran through Miroku as it did every time he laid eyes upon the miko returned from the dead, InuYasha's formerly betrothed, Kikyo.
 
Kikyo wore red hakama pants similar to InuYasha's and a snow white haori, trimmed in red thread. She had been beautiful once, smooth features nested under long black hair. Now she was an animated shadow of her former self, pale and without vitality. Miroku caught the scent of moldy earth that always accompanied the priestess' earthly form. Body of earth and soil, only her spirit moved on the earth, her body long ago having perished in the betrayal that had ensnared both her and her young lover, InuYasha. Her eyes were impossible to read, as always.
 
Behind her moved the boy, Kohaku, Sango's brother. Miroku met his eyes, not sure what Kohaku would do. The boy looked around the clearing quickly, seeking his older sister, and when he did not see her, he melted back into the forest, leaving the monk and the miko facing one another. Since he was here, he figured he might as well ask her if she'd seen InuYasha. But she beat him to it.
 
“I do not know where InuYasha is.” Her voice was flat, emotionless.
 
“Uh,” Miroku was caught off guard, gods, this woman was clairvoyant. “You haven't seen him anywhere since we left you a few days ago?”
 
“No.” She looked a little suspiciously at him, “why is he not with you?”
 
Here we go again, thought Miroku. Aloud he said, “he and Kagome had a fight. She went home and I have to find him to go get her and bring her back.” Kikyo looked thoughtful.
 
“Kagome would do better to stay home and leave this place to those of us who belong here.” She met Miroku's eyes, as though trying to pass a message to her soul sister through them. “She does not belong here. She does not belong with him.” She paused. “He will only bring her sorrow.”
 
“Why do you say that?” Just as with Sesshomaru, Miroku's curiosity was piqued about her opinions of his friends.
 
“Because it is true,” Kikyo kept her gaze steady on the monk, “she has more power than he does. And when she uses it, he will feel threatened; he will destroy her, or shun her.” Seeing the doubt in Miroku's face she continued. “Although it is true that InuYasha has matured in her company,” -- did Miroku detect a hint of jealousy? - “at his core, InuYasha is a wild animal, driven by instinct and male ego. I know this about him, but Kagome is too trusting. She sees only what she wants to see when she looks into his heart.”
 
Miroku did not respond immediately. Although he didn't necessarily agree with Kikyo, he knew that she did speak some truth. Kagome did see what she wanted to see in InuYasha, but he thought she deserved more credit than that.
 
“Kagome does see the best in him,” Miroku found himself defending them aloud. “But by doing so, she brings the best out in him, too.” Kikyo was reflective.
 
“Yes, this is true,” she said quietly. “But it will not be enough to save him for her. He is a doomed soul, and has been for over fifty years.” Miroku detected true sadness in her voice now. “We share that fate.”
 
Miroku refused to believe this, as he knew Kagome did, and he prayed InuYasha did as well. He was very curious about Kikyo's true intentions, and since he had her alone …
 
“Kikyo,” his voice brought her eyes back to his, “you healed me when Naraku's miasma had almost eaten away to my heart,” he paused, hoping she would understand the meaning of his question, “would you do the same for InuYasha? Will you see him live?” They stared at each other in silence. He was sure that she did understand his question. Would she take InuYasha to the grave with her once their quest to destroy Naraku was over? In the growing silence, Miroku came to believe that she would not answer. Soon, she turned to leave.
 
“Only the creator knows how this story will end.” Her words hung over them all as her form disappeared into the darkness of the forest. Kohaku emerged to follow her silently.
 
POV #4- Kouga
 
Miroku did not need to travel far before he came upon the skimpy remains of the Wolf demon pack, Kouga sitting on a rock as Ginta and Hokkaku hovered near him anxiously. Miroku descended upon Hachi, and the handsome, dark haired demon looked up at him and waved. “Hey, monk!” he yelled with his booming voice. Miroku hopped off the floating sausage and approached the group.
 
“Hello.” He glanced around; looking for evidence that InuYasha had been here. Surely, the hanyou would already have had his encounter with Kouga. Kouga's good mood seemed consistent with Kagome's profession of love, but Miroku would have expected more damage - to the wolf demon or at least the surrounding landscape - if InuYasha had actually been here. “I'm looking for InuYasha.” Miroku hoped this information would elicit some more.
 
“Why are you looking for that mangy mutt here?” Kouga looked interested, but unruffled. “He went back to the village with the rest of you didn't he?” A new thought struck him and he stood, a scowl clouding his face and his body moving into a warrior stance. “That dirty dog didn't go and abandon my Kagome, did he?”
 
“Uh,” Miroku stammered, not quite sure how to negotiate this emotionally confusing territory, “not exactly, no. She actually, kinda' abandoned him.” Kouga's hopeful expression weighed immediately on Miroku, who thought, I really don't want to get in the middle of this. “But to tell you the truth, I'm not sure,” he said quickly. Kouga's smile drooped just a bit. “Anyway, Naraku is active again and we have to get moving, but I can't find InuYasha and Kagome went back through the well. You haven't seen him?”
 
“Nope.” Kouga was looking confused now. “What do you mean `she dumped him'?”
 
“Um, she didn't exactly dump him,” Miroku was backpedaling now, worried he was going to confuse this already confusing situation for his friends, “they just had a fight. Nothing unusual.” While Miroku wasn't exactly sure this was true, it seemed clear that Kouga was unaware of Kagome's confession of love for him, and Miroku decided not to be the one to tell him.
 
Kouga seemed to accept this answer, since he had witnessed many of their fights himself and knew there was truly nothing unusual about it. “What does she see in that scruffy curr, anyway?” Kouga asked the question that came out of his mouth about every other hour “He's such a curr. And he treats her so crappy.”
 
“Uh,” said Miroku, but Kouga went on, ignoring Miroku completely.
 
“Here I go, offering her what every girl wants, a strong mate, a chance for lots of pups, and she can't take her eyes off him. What the hell is that all about?” Miroku thought he'd keep his mouth shut about `what a girl wants' and let Kouga find out for himself --someday. “So she moons after him, and he - he just treats her like dirt! Like some kind of shard detector!” He was marching around the clearing now, riveting the attention of Ginta and Hokakku, and no doubt enjoying their adoration. “That's why I'm hangin' with you guys now,” he said to Miroku before turning back to direct his rant at the sky. “I need to make sure I'm there when she finally sees the light and figures him for who he really is - a slimy two-timer who's not demon enough for her.”
 
Miroku did not respond. He needed to extricate himself from this conversation and get back on the trail. He had a sneaky feeling that he'd overshot in his search and needed to get back to the village. But Kouga wasn't done.
 
“And if he does love her, he should just damn well tell her!” Striking a strong pose, he continued, “you don't see me holding in my feelings. I say exactly what I think, including telling her that she's beautiful and smart. That's why I chose her as my mate.” He turned to Miroku this time, fixing him in the eye and asking, “why the hell is that arrested-development dog so afraid of saying what he thinks?”
 
“Are you sure you want to know?” Miroku was letting himself get baited into the conversation and immediately regretted it. Kouga was no one to trifle with and making him mad probably wasn't a good idea.
 
“Duh! I wouldn't have asked `ya if I didn't wanna' know!”
 
“Ok, well, I think he's learned the hard way that sometimes saying what you feel only gives others a way to hurt you,” Miroku winced, he really didn't want to go into this, “when he was young, primarily.” Hearing Kouga's dismissive huff, he tried to rescue his defense, “but he's getting better,” Miroku finished lamely.
 
“Whatever,” Kouga was back to listening to himself talk, “it's not going to be enough for her. She needs a man who knows who he is and isn't afraid to say it. She needs me,” he jabbed himself in the chest, “she'll see that soon enough. She's going to get tired of waiting around for him to come to his senses. I can see it in her eyes every time he walks up to Kikyo with his tail wagging behind his ass. That's not the way to hold your tail around a woman.” Kouga's own tail whipped out behind him with a satisfied flick. Miroku wasn't so sure Kagome would find Kouga's tail that attractive, and thought it best not to mention InuYasha's decided lack of a tail, but wisely he said nothing.
 
“I gotta' go,” Miroku moved back to Hachi, “we'll be leaving to hunt Narakku in the morning, I hope. In case you want to come.”
 
“Of course I want to come!” Kouga said, “didn't I just tell you I have to be there when she sees through him?” He sat down on his boulder again, “I'll see you at the village in the morning.”
 
As Miroku prepared to leave, something nagging at him ever since he'd spotted Kouga surfaced in his thoughts. “Where's Shippou?”
 
“I dunno, the little runt was around here somewhere,” Kouga said as he picked at his ear, unworried.
 
“AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!” As if on cue, a little ball of Shippou came rushing out of the trees, an even littler chipmunk demon hot on his tail. “Miroku, save me!” He jumped into Miroku's arms. The monk instinctively scooped him up and put out his foot; the chipmunk slammed into it and fell back dazed. As he came to, Kouga growled at him, sending shivers up even Miroku's spine and the little one left just as quickly as he'd come.
 
“Can I come back with you?” Shippou asked, looking up at Miroku. The kit was still shaking from his encounter with the fearsome chipmunk. “Kouga is getting boring. He just sits around and complains about InuYasha all the time.”
 
“I do not just sit around,” Kouga said, scowling at Shippou.
 
Miroku put the little kitsune on his shoulder and climbed aboard Hachi. “We leave in the morning, Kouga.”
 
“Right,” Kouga gave Miroku a wave, “but I'm not sure I'm going to be saving his little butt anymore,” the wolf demon gestured dismissively at Shippou.
 
“Whatever,” their small companion was back to his overconfident self, now that physical danger was past.
 
POV #5 - Shippou
 
As Miroku and Shippou flew over the countryside, Shippou settled onto the monk's shoulder and said conversationally, “So, what were you doing out here, Miroku?”
 
“Oh, the usual,” Miroku sighed, weary of this particular journey which had yet to bear fruit, “Kagome and InuYasha had a fight. Kagome went back into the well and InuYasha ran off. Hachi told me Naraku is rampaging again and I'm trying to find InuYasha to go get Kagome and bring her home so we can get going after Naraku again.” He sighed. “I'm exhausted.”
 
“Yeah, but why did you think InuYasha would be with Kouga?” The insightful little fox had zeroed right in on heart of the issue. Miroku wondered for a moment whether it was a good idea to tell Shippou the whole story. Realizing he would probably figure it out on his own, he decided to go ahead.
 
“Not long after you left with Kouga, I heard Kagome tell InuYasha that Kouga meant everything to her. And then she left and he ran off, so I assumed he was going to beat up Kouga.”
 
“What!?” Shippou was shocked. “Kagome doesn't love Kouga!”
 
“I didn't' think so either,” Miroku said, “but that's sure what it sounded like when she was screaming into InuYasha's face.”
 
“Are you sure?”
 
“Well,” Miroku tried to think back on the conversation he peeped from behind the tree, and realized he'd never actually heard Kagome use Kouga's name, “no. Maybe not.”
 
“Of course not,” Shippou was making Miroku feel like an idiot. “Kagome knows Kouga's just an egotistical bag of hormones. She's in love with InuYasha!”
 
“Well, I know that,” Miroku thought he should at least defend his grasp of the obvious. “But Kouga is right, someday she may find out that InuYasha's feelings for her may be less … deep.”
 
“Hm,” Shippou had to think about this. “Yeah. He's such an idiot. He may not have any clue what he's missing. Hey!” Shippou's little claws suddenly dug through Miroku's robe to pinch his shoulder. “Do you think I should tell him?”
 
“Shippou,” Miroku said paternally, “you tell him that on a regular basis. He knows what you think. Do you really think telling him again is going to make any difference?”
 
“Good point,” the kit calmed down again, “why don't you tell him?”
 
“Well, I was thinking about it when this all started,” Miroku sighed, “but now I don't think I have the energy for it. He can be pretty stupid on this subject.”
 
“Got that right,” Shippou agreed. “Sometimes I'd think he doesn't like women.”
 
“What?” Miroku was surprised, very sure himself that InuYasha was not into the guy thing. “What makes you say that?”
 
“Well, he's always carrying Kagome around, touchin' her all over while we're on the move or in battle, but when we're just sitting around the campfire and he could snuggle up to her, he's off on the edge of the clearing or something like he doesn't want to be near her. And when he has to save Sango from some disgusting monster, he pretty much touches her the same way.” Shippou shifted his position. “I'm not sure, but if I were a grown up and I were touchin' Kagome all the time, I think I'd want to do more of it when things calmed down, not less.”
 
Miroku thought Shippou had a point, but his adult sensibilities realized the situation was a bit more complicated than that. “Shippou, it's not as simple as that. When you're grown up, touching doesn't mean the same thing it does when you're a kid --”
 
“I know that,” Shippou piped in, “it's a lot more fun.”
 
“Not always,” Miroku rubbed his cheek where he received a regular slap from Sango … like yesterday … when his hand was just hanging by his side and her side at the same time … Shippou wasn't done, though.
 
“Anyway, no matter who InuYasha has to grab out of the way, you, me, Kouga, Kagome, Sango, he always does it the same way. He grabs you, yanks you out of the way, puts you down and walks away. Kagome and Sango don't get any special treatment. It just seems weird.”
 
“Well, I'm not sure I agree with you there,” Miroku was thoughtful for a moment. ”InuYasha does treat Kagome differently. He lets her ride on his back, like a travel companion, which he only does for others when they're hurt. And when he protects her, he puts his arms around her or carries her.” He laughed. “You're right, you and I get yanked, but not Kagome, she gets carried.”
 
“Well, maybe you're right,” Shippou seemed to have gone on to another thought, “but he's still an idiot, even if he likes girls.” Miroku smiled to himself, out of the mouths of babes, he thought. They were silent for a few moments, looking down on the lush, growing land below them.
 
“You know something else I don't get?” Shippou had more to say. “What's the thing with Kikyo and Kagome about? It's got to be about more than physical attraction. Even I can tell how bad Kikyo's dead body smells, it's gotta just kill InuYasha's sensitive nose. I don't even understand how he can stand to be around her, and yet he still goes running after her every time he gets a whiff of that stink.”
 
“Well, don't you remember?” Miroku wasn't surprised that the spiritual subtleties of their love triangle had eluded the young fox, “Kagome is Kikyo's reincarnation, they share a soul. And that soul has been in love with InuYasha through at least two lifetimes.”
 
Oh, now I remember,” Shippou shifted uncomfortably on Miroku's shoulder, “the soul thing. Yeah, now it makes sense again.” Shippou's little claws dug in again. “Wait! No, it doesn't make sense! InuYasha's two-timing on Kagome with a piece of her own soul. He's such a jerk! I'm gonna' …”
 
A dark cloud blotted out the sun, and Miroku and Shippou raised their eyes to the mass of spikes and tentacles that was Naraku's latest incarnation.
 
POV #6 *Bonus* - Naraku
 
“Kukukukuku,” Naraku's evil laugh oozed through the air, dripping down upon them like an oily rain. “If it isn't the monk, all by himself.” Miroku felt a stab of fear trail down the shoukai wounds, creeping ever closer to his heart, wounds that had just began to heal from his last encounter with the creature that had appeared in the sky.
 
“What about me? Huh!?” Shippou cried, shaking a tiny fist at the monster above them, who turned a red-eyed glanced at the little kitsune.
 
“Who's the idiot?” Miroku muttered under his breath, and promptly received a slap on the cheek. “Nice try, but I'm hardened to that by now,” he said, trying to think quickly. Shippou whimpered in fear next to his ear.
 
Miroku quickly took stock of the situation, within tentacles' reach of the meanest demon in the Eastern lands, a little kitsune to protect, and sitting atop … atop a very shaky steed all of a sudden. Hachi had just figured out that the shadow was not a cloud and was threatening to deflate. Miroku had to do something fast. Since his kazaana was only partially healed, and Naraku knew it, he would have to think of something else. Whenever possible, he thought, buy time.
 
“We're looking for InuYasha,” he said conversationally, “you haven't happened to have see him, have you?”
 
“Just InuYasha? I've never seen that sentimental fool without his pack of friends. Where's Kagome?” Naraku's interest was entirely too in-character; he was up to something. “Don't tell me he's out here alone?”
 
“So, you haven't seen him?” Miroku thought maybe he'd just bolt and make the best of it.
 
“Ha! If I'd seen him out here on his own, I would have killed him,” Naraku's perpetual confidence was very irritating. “But I never manage to get him alone, do I? Without Kagome, he's a worthless piece of hanyou flesh, but she never leaves his side.”
 
“Not that I need another opinion on the subject,” Miroku said, glancing down at the tiny sticks on the ground and trying to guess if they were really the thirty foot trees he'd seen earlier, “but what do you think of InuYasha and Kagome … you know … as a couple?”
 
Naraku looked stunned, like no one ever asked his opinion on matters of such gossip. But he also looked intrigued, which meant Miroku might live another few minutes.
 
“As a pair they are extremely dangerous,” Naraku's attention was diverted while he raised a tentacle to his strangely handsome human face, “that's why I like to try to separate them whenever I can. That's why I must make Kagome my own. Without him, she cannot focus her power, and without her,” a wicked grin came across his features, “he is miserable and will go back to Kikyo.”
 
A cold wave filled Miroku and he thought it best to leave. He had formulated a plan and hoped Hachi would be quick enough to play along.
 
“And why do you want him to go back to Kikyo?” Miroku figured he might as well see how long this little diversion would go on.
 
“Because they are the original pair whose love I must sunder,” Naraku was now lost in Onigumo's memory, “Kagome's soul has advanced to the point where I cannot destroy her, I can only use her - and I will do so - but Kikyo and InuYasha, them I can destroy.”
 
Miroku had heard enough. He gave Hachi a swift kick in the ear, which caused him to deflate, tumbling the three of them straight down through the air. Miroku managed to keep hold of Shippou's little foot and a grip on Hachi's ear. After a few seconds, he screamed through the air whistling around their ears, “Inflate already, Hachi!” With a loud poof! The raccoon exploded beneath them and they bounced lightly onto the forest floor. Looking back up, Miroku saw to his relief that Naraku had watched them fall and seemed uninterested in following, perhaps thinking he might find larger prey in InuYasha wandering around alone.
 
POV - Kagome & InuYasha
 
Miroku, the tanuki and the kitsune walked quickly back to the village. On the outskirts, as they passed the clearing near the bone eater's well, they heard voices laughing and headed to the well to investigate. To their surprise, and Miroku's supreme annoyance, they found Kagome and InuYasha sitting on a picnic blanket eating modern ramen soup and one of Mrs. Higurashi's home made boxed lunches.
 
“You should have seen the look on his face when I came through the window with that samurai helmet on my head!” InuYasha was laughing so hard, he could hardly get the words out. “I thought he was going to hyperventilate! Hahahaha.”
 
“He didn't believe you would come.” Kagome was smiling, enjoying watching InuYasha laugh.
 
Miroku was getting angry, thinking what a fool he'd been flying all over the countryside looking for the happy hanyou. Watching InuYasha laugh uncontrollably, he couldn't stand it any longer and stepped from the bushes, where he'd been watching his two friends. “What is so funny?” His irritation seemed to go unnoticed.
 
“Oh, hi Miroku,” Kagome said happily. “My little brother, Souta, needed to study for a test on the Sengoku Jidai. I asked InuYasha to come back and help me, because Souta bet me he wouldn't come. InuYasha was mad that Souta didn't think he would help, so he made me go back alone, and then he surprised us by bringing Souta a real Samurai helmet to show his class.”
 
Miroku's eyebrow twitched with annoyance and a blank, somewhat addled look came across his face as a sweatdrop fell from his hair. The words, I'll show him echoed back to him with a whole new meaning. Just to help him feel more stupid, Shippou walked out from behind his robes and headed straight for the lunch box.
 
“Idiot.” He said under his breath.
 
“Where have you been while we were gone?” Kagome asked innocently.
 
“He's been out trying to diagnose your dysfunctional relationship,” the traitorous little fox quipped. “He's been asking everyone if they thought you two were going to make it as a couple.”
 
“What?!” InuYasha's face had lost all its humor. “I didn't know you were a gossip in addition to being a lech.” InuYasha looked like he was trying to decide whether to part with his processed soup to come give Miroku a harder time. Apparently he decided it wasn't worth it and continued to slurp noodles.
 
“Well, it was very interesting,” Miroku recovered and decided to have the last word, “there was unanimous agreement on the subject.” InuYasha and Kogome both looked up at him curiously. “They all agreed that she's too good for you, InuYasha.”
 
And with that, Miroku sat down and lifted a piping hot Styrofoam cup of twentieth century chemicals to his lips, slurping loudly.
 
“Duh!” Said Shippou between bites.
 
 
THE END