InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Exploring the Sengoku Jidai ❯ Unintended Consequences ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wk 48 - Unintended Consequences (spoilers for chap 374)
 
How could he have understood, as he expunged her in a muculent mess that oozed onto the fine wooden floors, that he was birthing his own destruction?
 
She'd been his first creation, and he'd impregnated her with his best deceits - betrayal, hatred and spite. She was ruthless, cruel and sadistic, just as he'd crafted her to be. Reveling in his success, he kept her heart safely hidden as blackmail against her certain treachery. Even as he did everything in his power to eradicate his own heart from his being, he kept hers safely protected in his core, veiled and secreted behind defenses even she could not penetrate.
 
She was his servant to command and instruct. He sent her on errands until she proved her worth, and then he let her manage entire plots, acting on his behalf. She was good. Very good. Too good.
 
Before long, as predicted, she wandered; seeking an elusive thing that was beyond his ability to grasp, something she sensed on the wind, something that did not exist. Sometimes he knew where she went, other times he did not. He knew what he needed to know; he knew her mind.
 
But, though it beat deep within his very flesh, he never knew her heart.
 
And this small misunderstanding, this tiny oversight, became his greatest folly. For unbeknownst to him, despite the fact that she did not control it, she gave her heart to another. When the other took it, the currents of fate began to swirl in on him, drawing him into his own doom.
 
She grew bold, became a subversive danger - not to him -- but to his dominion. The skills he'd taught her, her cunning and her treasonous ploys, these things satisfied him as demonstrations of his own craft. Even when her plots to entrap and ensnare him were evident, he was proud of her.
 
And then the day came when he gave her back her heart. On that day he thrilled at the suffering its beat brought upon her. Her anguish sated his desire for revenge, and he congratulated himself on the superiority of his own treachery. Afterwards, when her body was lost on the wind, he did not notice the absence of her heart. He did not give her heart another thought, dismissing its memory along with the rest of her.
 
But the other did not.
 
When the final confrontation found him, the result of more betrayals, the white haired beast who he had first courted and who had plagued him ever since, was upon him in a fury. The beast snarled and a murderous red stare came upon his features, exuding hatred borne of pain.
 
“This is for Kagura,” Sesshoumaru snarled as his sword ripped open the fabric of existence before Naraku, unweaving his mortality as surely as it dissipated his soul.
 
Then he remembered her.
 
But he never understood.