InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Face Down ❯ Pack life ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Don't own.

Apology: I'm sorry shipporinKIMS11 I usually look around to make sure my story is at least slightly original. This time I didn't. So I'm really sorry 'bout that.




Chapter 2: Pack Life



They had landed some time ago and were now walking through dense forest. Kagome followed quietly behind, trying to think of something to say. Silence had never been one of her strong suits. That was putting it mildly. "Thank you." She said numbly. He glanced back at her. "I have no need of your gratitude." Silence fell around them again. They stopped a small way away from a small hut. It looked really out of place in the forest. There was a stable behind the house. The door burst open and Rin came running out. "Kagome chan Rin is so happy to see you. Will Kagome be watching Rin?"



"Yes Rin." Rin squealed with delight. Kagome watched happily as the child jumped around. Then she froze.



"Is Kagome sick?" Rin asked looking at her ashen face. Sesshoumaru looked at her. She turned slowly to him. "I left Shippou with InuYasha." He knew how important the kit had been to her. She had brought him along everytime she was sent to watch Rin. He'd gotten the feeling that they had a family like relation, mostly mother and child but occasionally brother and sister. "I can't just leave him there." Sesshoumaru agreed. The kit would be the one most likely subjected to the beatings now that Kagome had fled. "Stay." He commanded.



Kagome watched as he flew over the tree tops. She hoped that he was going to retrieve Shippou. Rin tugged on her hand and started pulling her to the flowers on the east side of the house. Every time she had watched Rin they had ended up making flower necklaces, crowns, and bacelets. Kagome sat with the child and started braiding the stems of the many colored flowers. The flower bed was well kept. Kagome finished a small flower crown and placed it upon Rin's head. She gave Kagome a toothy grin. Kagome toppled forward after being tackled from behind by a large ball of fur. "Shippou!"



Kagome held him close. His face was tear stained. Sesshoumaru stood just at the edge of the forest watching silently. She mouthed 'thank you'. He gave a curt nod and turned away and disappeared into the shadows of the trees. "Rin supper is ready." A head peeked around the side of the house. "Oh! You must be Kagome. I am Yuki." Kagome stood and walked over. "Hi Yuki. I didn't know I'd have company with Rin." She said cheerfully. "When the alpha is away I sometimes watch over her. She is the first pet he's cared for." "Alpha? Pet? Rin is not a pet." "I ment no offense to you, but that is how we refer to human children that youkia keep. It is not disrespectful in any way. In fact pets are in higher standing then I am."


"What are you?"

"You see Kagome." Yuki led her inside and gestured Rin to follow. "The inuyoukia life is run very similar to that of a wolf pack. I am a beta, Rin is a pet, and Sesshoumaru is alpha. You would be qualified as a beta. Betas take care of pups and pets and keep the order when the alpha is away. Usually there are two alphas, male and female, but alpha had not picked a mate."


"Before I came here Sesshoumaru said I was under his protection."


"What a great honor! To be placed under the protection of the largest territory holding alpha! This actually raises you in rank among this pack. You are now just slightly above Rin the highest a human can attain except for alpha female."


"So...uh....is this where Sesshoumaru lives. I'd always pictured him in a large castle or something."


"Oh heavens no...castle." Yuki almost fell over laughing. "You've traveled with a dog demon this long and not known. InuYoukias prefer natural dens. Such as in the face of a cliff or mountain. Well I suppose I can't blame you. Alpha's brother had never been one for inu etiquete.


"No...I suppose not."


"I was just wondering Kagome. How did you get that bruise on your face."

Kagome put a hand over the bruise. She'd forgotten that it was there. It didn't hurt any more either which was odd. "I forgot about it. It doesn't even hurt."

"Well of course not." Yuki replied with exasperation then stopped to look at her. "You don't know?" Kagome shook her head. "The reason I am beta is because just being close to my aura will accelerate healing and prolong life it is common with betas. That is why I watch Rin now. Alpha adores her and wants her to have a long life. Your bruise will be gone by tonight, but you still never told me where you got it from."


"I will tell you later." Kagome looked pointedly down at Shippou. "Until then I would love to know more about the inuyoukia pack struckture."


"Of course." Yuki sat down. "Now where to begin. I suppose the basics would help. The alpha is the highest followed by fenrir, pet, beta, pups, omega, servants, and slaves."

"Fenrir?"

"It is from norse mythology. It is the eldest child of Loki who was in the shape of a wolf. We use it to show how some person or youkia is bound to the alpha. It is the only word we use amonst us that was not made by us. But going on. Everyone obeys the rank higher then them unless told by pups or pets. Any order given by alpha overrides everything else."


"What happens if an alpha were to die?"


"Command would fall to Fenrir then beta. If neither of those are present, usually the eldest pup would take command if they are old enough. If not then there is to pack."


"What about the omega?"


"Omega is lowliest among us. They are closer in rank to the servants then to the pups. All pack, omega and up, is always inu unless they are human. Servants and slaves are any species. They don't even know the location of the den. Since you are fenrir you will be able to see the den. It is such a wonderful place."


"Who all lives there?" Kagome asked excitedly.


"Since it is such an exstensive den we live by grouping. You will most likely not see any one other then alpha and a few betas like myself. You are the only fenrir so you will have your own chamber. I must warn you. Some of the other female betas will feel threatend by your presence and insulted that a human is higher in rank then them.They won't harm you since to do so will get them killed by alpha but they will try to make you earn death. The males will just try to sleep with you. What ever you do refuse. Only the alphas are allowed to mate unless informed otherwise. To do so will earn you death. That seems like about all."


"Why doesn't Rin stay at the den?"


"She does on occasion but alpha fears for her safety. Some of the other betas don't like pets either." Kagome ate her meal.





R&R! And I hate the new mm.org look. any one else agree?