InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Facile Comme la Vie ❯ A L O N E ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: Alone
Part of: Facile Comme la Vie
Theme: Reflection/Mirror
Word Count: 788
Standard Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Inu-tachi; that honor belongs to Rumiko Takahashi. I can pretend, though, right? Facile Comme la Vie is a collective of one-shots and drabbles - they will feature a variety of characters, themes, genres and ratings.
 
 
A L O N E
 
 
 
 
The day was hot and already beginning to drag. With the young miko stubbornly remaining in her own era, Inuyasha refused to leave the side of the Old Bone-Eater's Well, while muttering to himself that he would not go after her; his back still twinged from the subjugation spell she set upon him that morning.
 
The kitsune remained by his side, ready to greet Kagome should she return. Amazingly, the hanyou did not acknowledge Shippou's present, nor did he push the kit away. Despite the tension, characteristically following one of the famed hanyou-miko arguments, the pair might be seen as being companionable.
 
And Miroku… Miroku was missing. Probably out trying to find a willing carrier for his unborn child, she noted sadly, trying to dissuade the jealous undertones of her mind.
 
Sango glanced over at the well before allowing herself to sigh. The twin-tailed fire cat at her feet mewed piteously at her mistress's obvious discontent.
 
She tried to cover the sigh with a small smile, but Kirara saw through the façade; instead, she rubbed the taijiya's muscular legs, wrapping her kitten form in the green fabric of her mistress's skirt.
 
“Come, Kirara,” Sango murmured, turning her back on the well. When Kagome returned, she would know.
 
Quietly, she began to walk through the forest, treading a familiar path. As it was her custom, during their stay in Kaede's village, Sango found her way to the small stream. Her stream.
 
Sango adored the area surrounding the brook. It was quiet, and there was a nary a sign of youkai. The trees clouded out the mid-day sun, and she felt it to be a comforting place when she needed some time alone.
 
Alone.
 
Kirara sat at the root of one of the trees, licking her paw and washing her face, content that her mistress was more at peace than before. Sango scratched her behind her ears quickly before continuing forward til she made contact with the water.
 
Pausing at the edge of the stream, she peered down. In the calmly swaying water, it was possible for her to make out her reflection. A young woman looked back at her, more wisdom and sadness lurking beneath the depths of her eyes than many of the elderly women in the village. Her long black hair framed her face perfectly, falling forward as if creating a curtain to hide behind. Her lips were thin and curved downward. She was frowning.
 
Sango continued to look down into the water. This time, though, she was not focusing on what she was seeing in the reflection, rather what was not there. There was no one else around her. She was alone.
 
I was meant to be alone, she thought sadly, every since Naraku took my world away from me. With the execution and annihilation of the exterminator's village, as well as the murder and enchantment of her beloved brother, Naraku had stolen everything she had ever known.
 
The reflection's somber eyes now held tears, as they threatened to flood the stream. Sango made no attempt to wipe them away as they fell.
 
Alone.
 
Kirara caught the salty scent of tears and mewed once more. She rose and trotted over to Sango's side, willing her mistress calm. The soft touch of the kitten's fur soothed Sango, but did not quell her loneliness.
 
A twig nearby snapping broke up the transparent gloom - someone approaching her sanctuary brought her from her silent reverie.
 
“Sango? Is that you? I've been looking for you…”
 
Wiping her tears hurriedly, she turned to the voice and smiled when she saw Miroku approaching, carrying a small bouquet of wildflowers.
 
“After I heard that Inuyasha and Kagome got into another of their fights, I realized again how special you are. So when I was finished with my morning prayers… I thought you might like these,” he said, shrugging as she accepted the small token. He seemed perturbed at her obvious unhappiness, but said nothing more.
 
Sango reached for the flowers, holding them to her before holding them to her chest. Thankful that he chose to disregard her upset, at least momentarily, she glanced back down at the water to calm herself.
 
Her reflection changed, as Miroku walked forward to stand beside her. As if her earlier doubts had all but been washed away in the sparkling stream, the sadness in her eyes diminished. Her mirror image smiled demurely, side by side to the handsome monk, who, mischievously tried not to reach for her rear, glanced down at the reflection with adoration in his own expression.
 
With a content sigh, Sango realized that this was what she had been looking for when she gazed into the stream those countless times before.
 
She was not alone.