InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Facing Your Fear ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Facing Your Fear
 
Sango hummed lightly to herself as she went about cleaning her weapon. The heavy Hiraikotsu was becoming dull and scuffed, and it was far more capable without all the cracks on its surface. They'd been facing more and more demons lately; she'd need it ready at any time.
 
She smiled and turned it on its opposite side, preparing to take care of that when something caught her eye in the corner of the room. She leaned towards it curiously, trying to make out exactly what it was. It suddenly moved forward, faster than she expected, and with no time to react she could do only one thing.
 
Sango screamed.
 
---
 
Miroku was sadly left all by his lonesome.
 
Inuyasha and Kagome had headed over to a nearby hot springs. (He had wiggled his eyebrows suggestively as they'd gone off, deciding it was better if the two lovebirds worked things out on their own.) Sango had insisted on cleaning her Hiraikotsu by herself, most probably because she was worried he would attempt another grope if anywhere in the same room as her. Shippo was probably off romancing another girl from another village, as he often did these days.
 
So Miroku was alone.
 
And bored.
 
This feeling washed away quickly as he heard Sango's scream.
 
Every feeling of panic and fear ran through him as he rushed to where she was: a small hut they'd found to rest for a spell. His mind raced to find a reason she would be screaming. Was something attacking? Had Naraku found them and decided to kill her? Were there demons? Was she hurt?
 
He could hear her voice as he approached, which he assumed was a good thing.
 
“Die! Die, goddamn you! No!”
 
There was a thud, and Miroku burst through the entryway, greeted by the most disturbing sight.
 
“Get away!” Sango kept shouting, oblivious to the confused monk in the doorway. She was stabbing the ground with her Hiraikotsu, screaming profanities at something on the ground. Upon closer inspection, Miroku realized it to be a snake. A harmless green snake of the garden variety, who was probably just wishing it could get away from the crazy woman holding a weapon over its head.
 
“Sango…” he said softly. “What are you doing?”
 
She didn't look up at him. “It tried to attack me! It's going to eat me!”
 
Miroku was now twice as baffled as a moment ago, and trying not to laugh.
 
“…'Eat you,' Sango?” He coughed to cover a chuckle. “It's not a demon.”
 
“But—and it's jaws—and fangs—and—!” She stopped suddenly, glaring at him. “Stop laughing!”
 
Miroku had hunched over, covering his mouth. “I can't! It's a snake! You've faced demons on a regular basis and you can't face a snake?” He was practically on the floor. “You can't be serious?!”
 
The snake took this moment to flee, and Sango screeched some more, flying towards Miroku. She collided with him, and they flew out, landing awkwardly on the ground outside. Before he even had time to enjoy the position they ended up in, Sango jumped up, staring wide eyed at the ground.
 
“It might be outside,” she said. “There might be more.”
 
“You are paranoid.” He stood up, grabbing her shoulders and leading her away. “And it's not going to hurt you. Let's go over here now where it's nice and safe…”
 
She nodded absently, gazing at the ground as she took careful steps.
 
---
 
About a mile away, in the hot springs, Inuyasha fell out of his tree.
 
“Damn snakes.”