InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fate will find a way... ❯ Time goes by so slowly… ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 6 – Time goes by so slowly… (for some)



Leaning backwards into his hands and popping his spine back into place, Miroku’s eyes took on their casual glance to his slumbering companion, before heading out to till his garden.

“He hit me!”

“Did not!”

“Did too!”

“Did not! Did not!”

“Did too!!!

“BOYS!” He cried finally, rubbing his temples, “Go play with uncle Shippo.” He managed to grumble with a smile, a smile that grew as he watched his two youngest grandchildren scamper off into the meadow.

“Are you sure that’s wise?” A young woman coming up behind him suddenly asked. “I think perhaps Shippo is a bad influence for the boys…” She said half-seriously with a smirk on her face.

“Kagome….” Miroku addressed his daughter, “Where is your mother?”

“I think she’s with Rin at the market, she said something about stocking up on the ‘human foods’ she doesn’t get to eat much of in the West.”

A faint chuckle left the old man’s lips, prompting the woman to ask “What is it?”

“Nothing, just still can’t believe she mated his brother….”

Kagome nodded her understanding. She’d been 7 years old when the Lord of the Western Lands had suddenly appeared, proclaiming that he no longer bore hatred towards his half-brother, and only wished he’d come to realize his misconceptions earlier. He’d taken his human ward as his mate once she was old enough, and since the girl had been friends with her name sake, Kagome recalled, she managed to convince her Lord, and now mate, to keep their village under his protection. As a result, they never had any fears of a youkai attack, and their lives were quite peaceful.

She was finally pulled from her thoughts when she heard her father speaking again.

“Will you let your mother know that I’m packed for the journey, and ready whenever she is?”

“I will…..” she paused, then asked… “Are you sure you want to do this?”

“Koga has been an ally for decades…” He began. “Your mother and I won’t live forever, and I’ll be able to die in peace knowing that your uncle is being looked after.”

Kagome nodded her understanding again, and headed off to find her mother within the village market place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sango had returned an hour earlier, and the three were now well under way. Since Kirara couldn’t carry all three of them, they had Inuyasha strapped carefully to her back, while Sango and Miroku walked by her side.

Right after Kikyo had sealed him they’d returned Tetsusaiga to its sheath and discovered his transformation did revert back, as they saw his claws and fangs reduce in size, and the purple stripe from his cheeks disappeared, but apparently Kikyo had been telling the truth when she said she couldn’t revive him, as even when they convinced her to attempt to pull out the arrow, it wouldn’t budge, nor did he awake. So they took it upon themselves since that day, to keep him safe, keep him suspended, in the hopes that one day, 5 centuries later, he’d somehow be reunited with the woman he was truly meant to be with. Sango held an air of confidence that they somehow would find one another, since she believed with all her heart that he was meant to be with Kagome. But that belief got even stronger after the day Miroku had told her he’d had a vision of Kagome finding him. He truly believed now, that somehow, some way, some day, Kagome would find her way back to Inuyasha. All they had to do, was make sure his sealed form made it to Kagome’s time.

It took them a couple of days to reach their destination by foot, but suddenly picking up the faint sound of a waterfall indicated that they were close. Before the cave itself even came into view, they found themselves suddenly greeted with the wolf prince himself.

“It’s you….” Koga said, his voice sounding only half certain, as he pointed a finger in Miroku’s direction. “You’ve aged.” He added with a frown.

“Mortals tend to do that.” Miroku joked in response, which in turn caused Koga to laugh, and welcome them to his land, that is until he noticed the unconscious passenger which was laying upon the back of their fire-neko.

That’s why we’re here.” Sango piped up.

As they walked back towards Koga’s pack, they went on to explain what had happened that day oh so long ago for them now, when Kikyo once again sealed Inuyasha, though he was at least not pined to a tree this time around. Even a ‘mangy wolf’ such as Koga could appreciate the dishonor in such a fate, and saw the genuine disappointment in the humans’ eyes when they were forced to answer truthfully that they were not aware of Kikyo’s current whereabouts. Had they been, they would have gladly told him, and he would have gladly disposed of her. They continued to reveal the fact that Kagome was from the future, but were surprised to find that Koga was already aware of that fact. He said that Inuyasha’d let something about her time and this time slip during an argument once, and when he later pressed him to explain, he did. When the humans then pleaded with him not to reveal that secret to anyone else, he assured them that he hadn’t, not even to Ginta or Hakkaku, as nobody would likely believe a story like that, and he didn’t want his pack to start to think wrongly of him, that perhaps his mind was gone.

Relieved they didn’t have the job of convincing ahead of them now that they’d thought for sure they’d had, they went on next to tell him of Miroku’s vision, and that Koga wouldn’t have to do anything to seek Kagome out, because she should find him. Koga was reluctant at first to become the permanent nursemaid to the sleeping mutt, but Miroku ever so kindly pointed out all of the times, especially including the last time, that Inuyasha could have killed him, and didn’t. Sango dug the wound even deeper with asking him what he thought Kagome would want him to do, and assured him that in doing this, he’d one day see her again.

Though Koga had since moved on, and mated with Ayame, he had to admit, the thought of actually seeing Kagome again one day, sounded kind of nice, even if it was apparently not for 500 years. He also had to admit that he felt a little sorry for mutt-face, so sucking it up, he agreed.

As Miroku and Sango traveled back home, much faster now that the two of them could ride on Kirara, a passing thought made Miroku chuckle to himself. He didn’t know if five centuries of being in a wolf den would permanently imprint their scent upon Inuyasha’s kimono, and he silently prayed that his friend would forgive him. Seeing the man she loved chuckling quietly to himself, Sango raised the sides of her lips in a smile as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sesshomaru understood why they went to the wolves instead of to him. As much as he no longer disliked his little brother, he was a busy man, with many enemies, and lacking in the security of a pack as large as Koga’s. In all honesty, minus the contingency of Sesshomaru having Inuyasha travel upon Ah-Un’s back and follow him everywhere he went, he was safer with the wolves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the years, Koga grew accustomed to his “decoration” as he jokingly referred to the hanyou. Despite their early rivalry, he wanted now only to one day see the eyes of the human girl he’d once loved light up upon seeing the fire-rat clad figure resting, quite comfortably, on bedding made of furs. He grew quite protective of Inuyasha, as he’d make sure none of his pups messed with him. Most wanted to tug on his ears, while others lunged straight for the sword, and got mild burns from the barrier it possessed as a punishment.

As decades turned to centuries, Koga and his pack lost contact with the human world, as they quickly discovered, while living among the wolves, humans had come to believe that youkai didn’t exist, and those who did believe, presumed them all evil. Should their cave be discovered, they’d likely be hunted down, like so many of the lesser youkai that were eventually becoming extinct around them.

Eventually, they abandoned their human appearance for the most part, for fear of being spotted, instead blending themselves in with the mortal wolves that always accompanied the pack. Should someone find their cave now, they’d find only a cave a wolves, minus the sleeping hanyou that lived deep, deep within.