InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Feudal Fairy Tale ❯ Kikyo ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Feudal Fairy Tale

Starlight Demon 22

Warning: I do NOT own Inuyasha, the other characters, or the plot from the manga or anime. They belong to Rumiko Takahashi and everyone involved with that whole thing. I only own my own character, Akemi, other than that no.

Chapter 3- Kikyo
***************************************************************** *************************************************************************** *************************************************************************** *************************

A couple of weeks passed since Inuyasha joined the family. He had taught Souta plenty of things, each day going over it again patiently so that the boy wouldn't forget. They went on daily hunting trips as well as farming and such. Kagome just smiled as her mother was thrilled at all the food they were bringing in for them, not even the head of the village could have taught Souta to be so productive. With Souta's new skills, even his grandfather had to admit he was turning into a man quite quickly and Souta started making more decisions with the advice of his sister, Inuyasha, and mother. The young man who had been asking for Kagome's hand in marriage was the first thing Souta decided and he chased him off quite quickly. Souta had determined that unless he could provide as much food for his sister and their future family as Souta and Inuyasha did for the family now, no one was suitable enough for his older sister. Kagome, despite the incredibly high bar set for her hand, was at least grateful that she could continue her lessons without worry of another suitor coming along.

Kagome ventered to Kaede's hut and found her in a daze one morning. Confused Kagome took her usual seat and waited to hear what was going on. It took Kaede a few minuets to determine that Kagome was even there, let alone what to tell her about her current state of mind.

"Child, ye remember me telling you about my older sister, Kikyo?" Kaede told her. Kagome nodded as she prepared to listen. Apparently Kikyo had died when Kaede was older, fighting off a youkai while protecting their village. Kaede had witnessed her death and had then chosen to become a miko herself, knowing she had some of the powers within herself, so that she could resume where her sister left off in death. "Apparently, a member of our neighboring village says she lives! That she looks no older than when she passed into the next world."

"Lady Kaede, that's impossible, maybe it is an imposter?" Kagome said softly. She didn't want to ruin Kaede's hope, but it really was impossible for Kikyo to be running around.

"I know, and we shall see, she is supposed to be headed this way and will arrive either today or tomorrow." Kaede said as Kagome nodded. "But enough talk of my dear sister, we must continue your training." Kagome nodded and prepared to be taught more of Kaede's valuable knowledge when a young man came running into the hut.

"Lady Kaede, there is a miko outside demanding to speak to you!" he said hurriedly. Both Kagome and Kaede got up and grabbed bows and quivers of arrows before following him to the center of the village. There stood a young woman, who looked remarkably like Kagome, in miko's garb holding her own bow and quiver. Kagome watched as soul reapers floated around her and shuddered a little wondering if she had been brought back from the dead by them.

"I am Kaede," she said as she stood and prepared to hear what was going.

"My dear sister, it has been so long since I have gazed upon your face. Instead of the child I have left behind, an old woman stands before me. Many years have passed since my death." Kikyo said almost emotionlessly.

"Aye, if ye are truly my sister Kikyo, they ye are right, many years have passed." Kaede said, though it was obvious she was fighting a losing battle of emotions. Kikyo nodded as she thought.

"You don't believe who I am?" Kikyo asked her. "Your good eye fails you now too?" Scorn filled Kikyo's voice as she stood there, as if expecting to be welcomed warmly by the villagers and her sister, for the world to return to what it was. "I perished fighting a youkai to protect you and you don't believe I am truly who I say?"

"And how did ye get here?" Kaede asked her bravely. "Ye were dead and now you walk and talk like the rest of us."

"Yes, I was dead," Kikyo said mournfully. "Until the witch, Urasue brought me back to life."

"Urasue?" Kaede said confused as she thought about it. Kagome shrugged, she had never heard that name until now. She noticed Inuyasha standing close by, his eyes narrowed at the new miko in the village. "Is she not the witch who takes bones and dirt and brings the dead back to life? She has desecrated ye grave?" Kikyo nodded with a mournful look. "Sister, ye must go back, there is no reason for ye to return."

"Vengance is my reason for returning, upon that which killed me." Kikyo said angrily. Kaede looked at her sister worriedly. "I have sworn to destroy every youkai and hanyou I come across for my death."

"But not every hanyou and youkai killed you!" Kagome said annoyed by this dead woman's scorn. Kikyo looked at her darkly. "The one that kill you was slain, you killed it! You got your revenge! Why do innocent creatures have to perish as well?"

"What do you know? You are but a mere child." Kikyo said angrily. "My death was before your birth!"

"I am the miko of this village," Kagome said angrily, "and I will not allow you to come here and hunt youkai and hanyou for sport because you think they all should pay for the one you already killed!" Kikyo and Kaede looked at her amazed as Inuyasha smirked a little. Kagome knew her power and only seemed to use it when she wanted to for her own good reasons.

"I am the most powerful miko this village has ever seen!" Kikyo spat back. "You can't stop me when I make decisions."

"Actually I can," Kagome said as Kaede nodded in agreement. "As you were the most powerful miko this village has ever seen, until I came along."

"Unfortunately, sister, she is right. Her powers have surpassed even ye own." Kaede said as she thought. "Kagome only comes to me for training in herbs and healing techniques. She is already quite skilled with a bow and arrow, like ye self." Kikyo nodded as she listened, this was news to her, but then again she had been dead for about fifty years. This girl was a challenge to her, this was obvious, and as much fun as killing her off right then and there would have been so that she could resume her place, Kikyo knew it was a bad move to attempt to make.

"Fine, any youkai or hanyou that resides within the village is off limits, but no bringing any in." Kikyo said as if it didn't really matter. Kagome crossed her arms and challenged Kikyo silently. "You are pathetic! A miko helping those she should be destroying! If not for the fact that they'll destroy the village and eat everyone, then for the fact that they killed a miko! Doesn't that upset you?"

"Not nearly as much as a miko abusing her powers to purify," Kagome said calmly as Kikyo looked at her furiously. Kagome was certain that if they weren't surrounded by village people, she'd have been shot by now. "I will not condone the death of an innocent creature just for sport. You think all youkai should pay for your death, but explain to me how any of those youkai or those hanyou were responsible. Tell me why I should destroy the ones that want to live peacefully! Tell me why you think, just because you were killed, you're right!" Kikyo grew a baffled look on her face, as if she had never, even when she was alive, been spoken to like this. Kagome turned and stormed off as everyone looked to be worried. True, the elders were fearing the return of Kikyo from the dead and the younger villagers weren't quite sure of what to make of it, but when their current miko and miko-in-training didn't seem to trust her, they worried she could destroy them.

Inuyasha ran and caught up with Kagome, not before Kikyo stopped watching her. "Thanks," he said bashfully. Kagome looked at him confused for a moment. "If you hadn't reminded her this was your village now, she would have purified me and everything else in her path." he said as he scratched the back of his head. "Just...I can't protect you from miko arrows, Kagome, be careful with her. Something doesn't smell right."

"That's because she's dead, it's probably graveyard soil and bones you smell." Kagome said as she sighed. "But still, there's no reason to thank me, that's what I'm here for." Inuyasha nodded as they continued to walk. "So, grand hunter, what are we having for dinner tonight?" Inuyasha chuckled as they walked on. Kikyo watching them intently, quickly turned to one of her soul catchers and then back to watching them as the catcher flew after them as if to spy. She wandered the village, finding an abandoned hut that wasn't in bad shape to stay in for the time being.

The soul catcher returned that evening, whispering in her ear what it had seen. "So, she's living with that monster," Kikyo said darkly as she thought.

A few days passed since Kikyo arrived within the village. Inuyasha did his best to steer clear of her, though it wasn't hard at first. He spent most of his time teaching Souta what he needed to know to survive in the world and helping the family with their hut repairs as the warmer season approached. They had already repaired the roof and replaced some of the mats on the windows and doors, though they were rolled up for the warm breezes to blow through. As Kikyo's first week ended, Inuyasha was starting to fall easily into this life and had a little more free time. And that's when he noticed something was wrong.

Kagome was in one of the fields between the forest and village with Kaede. The village children had gone off to see what they were doing, though it was merely Kagome learning about some of the weeds that were beneficial should Kagome be away from home and with no herbs. Normally, once the children arrived the lesson was over and Kaede would teach the children about the various flowers and such. Inuyasha was normally there as well, giving Souta a break to learn from the village men for certain things, like helping build a new hut for a couple getting married soon. He decided to guard Kagome from anything that might attack her from the forest, or worse get the children. Kikyo was also around, watching as Kaede and Kagome worked, and the children play.

"Hello, Inuyasha, is it?" Kikyo said as he sat in his tree and watched. He tried to ignore her, but her scent was almost nauseating. He smirked as Kagome tickled one of the children and laughed as two others asked her to play. "She's good with the village children, that's a good sign," Kikyo said as she turned and watched Kagome as well. "But she is still has very far to go."

"Why? Because she doesn't believe the same as you do? Kaede doesn't either, if you haven't noticed." Inuyasha spat and jumped down from the tree. He started to walk off, but Kikyo grabbed at his arm to hold him back for a moment.

"Because she is obviously very much a novice. When I was her age I was able to do so much more," Kikyo said as Inuyasha remained with his back to her. "I didn't mean what I said about youkai and hanyou, I was just risen, I was still angry." Inuyasha continued to watch Kagome as she played with the children while Kaede told some of them stories. He pulled his arm free.

"I don't care, Kikyo," he said sternly. "Now leave me alone." With that he walked off towards Kagome as Kikyo sighed and watched them. She knew she'd have to separate them in order to destroy the hanyou, as she wanted, and teach that pathetic excuse of a miko a lesson. She just didn't know what would hurt them the most, despite their being seen everywhere, their deeper secrets were still quite guarded.