InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Finding Sanctuary ❯ Knocking ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Inuyasha and included characters and concepts belong to Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media. This story is meant purely for entertainment purposes.



~*~

There were three quiet raps on the bedroom door. There was no need to be concerned that they would go unheard; one of the room’s occupants was the inutashio, after all. The inutashio in question left his the comfort of his bed–and that of his wife-mate–with few curses spared. As an inuyoukai, his natural-born inheritance granted him hair as luminous and light as the fully-grown moon, and the rich, golden eyes of a hunting beast in the night. To unskilled eyes, his age was difficult to determine, for–like most youkai–his youth was maintained for the bulk of his life. Old age would crash down on him only in his latest years, sweeping away his youthful visage long after the affects of time would claim his better reflexes. But that time was not now and he carried the appearance of a man in his mid-thirties.

His wife-mate smiled, tucked away in the vast warmth of their bed. He would never demand that she be the one to attend to whoever their nightly visitor happened to be. Not so long as he was perfectly capable of doing so. In stark contrast to her spouse, her raven hair was as black as night and her violet eyes were tranquil and secretive. Unlike her husband, whose eyes raged and wept with his soul, hers could never convey her emotions with such blunt intensity. She too appeared to be in her thirties, as she was bound to his youki, though this was probably closer to her true age than her husband.

Her husband and mate stormed to their bedroom door, fully intending to snarl to one of his son’s that they knew better to disturb him and their mother at night. But it was not one of their children he found on the other side. It was Kagome Higurashi. She caught the enraged expression that the inutashio wore as he ripped open the door and she immediately shrank back in embarrassment and remorse. ÒI-I’m sorry, sir,Ó she stammered, face flushed, and his wife, hearing the girl’s voice, rose from their bed and wrapped her rope around herself. The inutashio’s expression immediately shifted into his own embarrassment for his hostility. ÒI know it’s late–and I really am sorry–I-I could come back another time. I’m sorry–I shouldn’t have come so late.Ó And she really did look ashamed to have intruded on them.

ÒNo, I’m sorry,Ó the inutashio replied, and said by means of explanation, ÒI thought you were one of the boys.Ó

ÒI’m sorry,Ó Kagome apologized once more, ÒI should go.Ó

But his mate came to the door beside him immediately. ÒNo, no, sweetheart,Ó she said softly, taking the younger girl gently by the arm and leading her into their massive bedroom, Òplease, if there’s something bothering you we want to know about it.Ó

Kagome, despite having come to them of her own violation, looked distinctly uncomfortable between them. They were sure that it was because they had taken taken her and her mother in off the streets, and she had made it clearer and clearer over these past few weeks in their custody that she hated to infringe on their kindness. She did all she could in her stay with them to make herself as unobtrusive and helpful as she could be. Despite the fact that they has full-time maids working for them, she still insisted on cleaning her own bedroom and bathroom and doing her own laundry. They’d known the girl since she was a small child, so her thoughtfulness had never surprised the two. What did surprise them, however, was the change in her relationship with their youngest son, Inuyasha.

Kagome and Inuyasha had been friends since early childhood, ever since the inutashio had found her and his runaway son curled up together in the hollow of an old tree of her family shrine. After young Kagome had been returned to her concerned parents–who had been unable to locate her all day–and taken their own pup home, their friendship had been preserved by child tantrum demands to see the other once more... And thus began an almost fifteen-year friendship.

That’s not to say they’d always been close. As toddlers up until the threshold of junior high they’d been inseparable, but then puberty reared its ugly head and they’d preformed amazing feats in order to avoid each other. It had only been a year or so ago that their childhood friendship had been revisited, just in time for Inuyasha to be a friend to the girl when she needed friends the mostÉ

In the winter of last year, Kagome’s parents had suffered a horrible car crash. The two had been trapped in the twisted remains of the car with broken bodies and paramedics far from help. Kagome’s mother had been knocked unconscious by the collision with a drunk driver and survived the crash with a broken spine that would, in time, heal. She had awoken in the hospital the next day with Kagome at her bedside, ragged and anxious and waiting for her mother to wake up. When she asked Kagome where her father was, it was Kagome who told her he was dead.

Her mother never really recovered. Her back–of course–did, but she could never look beyond her husband’s passing and she sank into depression. She could never get herself back together, not even for her daughter’s sake. The Higurashi’s, even before the accident, had been succumbing to financial ruin. Their shrine had never turned the greatest profits, but more and more the small family had been finding it harder to get by. Then her mother couldn’t tend to the shrine or its few visitors–and there were the hospital bills and the funeral bills–and her disability checks only lasted so longÉ In the end, their family shrine was foreclosed, and the remaining Higurashi women had nowhere to go.

It was at this point, only two short months ago, that Inuyasha came to his parents. They were shocked at what he had to say–of what had happened to the little girl he’d grown up with. They’d known her father had passed, but they had been completely unaware of the hard times that had befallen the grieving family. The inutashio and his wife-mate were ashamed how they’d fallen out of touch with the Higurashi’s in a few short years. They, like their children, had once been good friends! And so, with wide arms, they took in the broken family into their large home–Gods know they had room to spare!

So here Kagome Higurashi stood, in their bedroom for reasons unbeknownst to the twosome. At his wife-mate’s remark about Kagome having a problem, the taiyoukai suddenly grew stern; ÒInuyasha hasn’t done anything to you, has he? Nothing indecent?Ó Kagome caught the implication and grew red in the face, but laughed awkwardly.

ÒNo, no,Ó she assured the two parents, ÒIt’s nothing like that.Ó

At this, Inuyasha’s mother breathed a sigh of relief. To say she was concerned about the two teenagers’ continued proximity was an understatement. It had been one of the main concerns in their decision to accept Kagome and her mother into their home. Raging hormones, easily accessible bedrooms and all consideredÉ They had sat Inuyasha down about boundaries while Kagome was living in the house. Their hanyou ‘s irritation could not hide the immense embarrassment that their warning had caused him. Seeing this, her mate had delightedly taken care to specify what kinds of things their son was not allowed to do. Humiliated as their son had been, their point had been made.

But it seemed as if their interference had been unnecessary. Shortly after Kagome’s arrival in their home, the two had noticed that something seemed off. At one point, they realized it was because they hadn’t caught their youngest son or their newest minor screaming at each other. Not once. As they were growing up, the two children seemed incapable of acting cordial to one another. They fought like cats and dogs, frankly, and half the time the seemed to enjoy it.

It took longer for them to realize that the peace between them was due to Kagome’s refusal to fight with him in their house. Already feeling indebted to them, she didn’t want to disturb them with her and their son’s disagreements. Apparently finding the restraint for this feat was somewhat impossible because she began to avoid Inuyasha around the house. That too, it seemed, wasn’t working because a fight broke out between them a few days ago and that one had been one of the nastier ones and she’d stormed from the house.

Hearing her assurance, the inutashio’s expression darkened once more as another possibility entered his mind. ÒIs it Sesshomaru? Has he done anyth–Ò

ÒOh no!Ó exclaimed Kagome suddenly, eyes widening from seeing where his mind was traveling, ÒSesshomaru has been fine. Really!Ó

It was no secret that the inutashio’s oldest son–and his wife-mate’s adopted son–found most humans to be distasteful. They’d sat him down too before they’d brought the Higurashi’s into their home, though his talk was of a different nature. They’d told him of no means was he to harm or insult their houseguests. So far he’d obeyed, though he and Kagome didn’t go out of their way to get in the others’ way, so the two remained civil. And Kagome’s mother hardly left her room to annoy the full-blooded inuyoukai, so all had been well.

ÒReally,Ó Kagome continued, ÒThis has nothing to do with Inuyasha or Sesshomaru. I-It’sÉ about my mother.Ó He and his mate exchanged startled glances. ÒIÉ wanted to ask for a favor.Ó It was so unlike Kagome, so out-of-character, for her to ask them a favor when she fully believed they had done too much already. It must have taken a lot for her to come to them with this request.

ÒAlright, sweety,Ó his mate said kindly, Òwe’ll hear you out.Ó

There was a long moment where Kagome couldn’t seem to find the words to say and where she was unable to look them in the eye, but they waited for her to continue. Finally she said, very deliberately: ÒI want you to kick us out.Ó

She was met with shocked silence, as neither of her caretakers could quite think of what to say. At last, he replied, ÒKagome, it’s really no trouble for you to live here. You’re an excellent houseguest.Ó

ÒBut my mother isn’t,Ó the young human retorted, and that was something none of them could deny. Neither of them could recall the woman leaving her room, and the house maintenance people could be heard complaining cleaning around her listless from that always seemed to be propped before the television set.

He tried once more, ÒKagome, it’s no trouble for us to have you here for a little while–Ò

But Kagome was already shaking her head, looking more upset by the moment. ÒBut you don’t understand!Ó she burst. ÒShe hasn’t even thought about how she’s going to support us outside this house. She’s just going to keep abusing your generosity!Ó His mate was about to say something but she continued, ÒIt’s not fair! It’s not fair for her to take advantage of you like this, with no thought of how she’s going to repay you or how she’s even going to stop depending on you!Ó

ÒHoney, your motherÉÓ his mate paused, ÒShe’s not really ready to support the two of youÉÓ

The girl turned to her, ÒIzayoi, please understand. You’re like family to me, and I hate how she’s taking advantage of you like this. I’ve tried talking to her, again and again, but she won’t listen to me. She refuses to get a job because she knows that she’ll be taken care of here! Maybe if she realizes that there won’t be anyone to rely onÉÓ

Kagome looked close to tears and as his mate put her arms around the girl she sent him a significant look over the child’s head. Choosing his words carefully, he said to her, ÒBut you two have nowhere to go if we kick you out.Ó

ÒI have a job,Ó Kagome asserted, Òand enough in my savings for us for at least a month.Ó Still, it would be impossible for a full-time student to support the two of them long-term. He doubted that her mother would be in any more of a condition to work under her daughter’s care than she was now.

Finally he told her, ÒWe’reÉ going to have to think about this.Ó Kagome, sensing failure looked away from him. His mate rubbed her back soothingly.

ÒHoney, its late–why don’t you get to bed,Ó Izayoi suggested to the girl, leading her to the door.

ÒÉYeah,Ó Kagome said softly, looking back at them before she left, ÒThanks for listening.Ó And then she disappeared down the dark hall.

~*~



Reviews will be most appreciated. Thanks!