InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fireflies ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Name: Fireflies
Author: Aeirin
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Are you really safe in the night? Are you really safe from the demons of your past and future?
 
 
 
 
The stronghold was very inconspicuous for those with half a brain, in his opinion, much of Japan. A dismal underground cavern that housed many of the illicit affairs his organization required from time to time, he preferred the civilized atmosphere of his office, which stood above the cave's foundation.
 
Sesshomaru's company was doing very well in the eyes of the public. After all, it was making billions in profits since he took over. There was not much to complain about except for one company he considered a serious threat, the one that was his godmother's.
 
His icy gold eyes darkened for a second as he thought of his deceased father's dear old friend, Kaede . She had been a constant presence when he was younger and had thought the world of her until she betrayed him. Sesshomaru had never gotten over the fact it was she that introduced her father to that … that whore.
 
His father had killed his lovely mother by cheating on her for that piece of trash; that itself was unbearable but the sign of the abominable result of the affair had made all feelings, all compassion for his father had died.
 
Sesshomaru had became embittered and closed off the day Yue died; making things worst was the fact that her death had fell on his birthday. She had been his joy, his guardian angel but she left him alone in the cold world. He wished the beautiful silver haired girl were still alive. He wished that half breed had never been born. 
 
 But his ponderings went back to the problem at hand. His personal informant had discovered some key information.
 
Sota, his godmother's nephew had always been a troublemaker. Driving with fast cars, hanging around the finest clubs, dating gorgeous women from well renowned families, Sota was how to put this nicely a nice kid gone in the wrong way.
 
Gambling was always his weakness. Sota had gotten hooked on it among other things due to unsavory friends, one of them being his half brother.
 
It was his bad luck to one day to get involved with Nataru, the nefarious kingpin of many black market operations. The night had ended with him paying more then money to him, he ended up with debts of another sorts. Weeks past, Sota still had not paid up. Nataru was becoming inpatient. In a reckless move on the hand of the younger man, Sota had attacked him which caused him to be kidnapped and beaten according to Jaken.
 
To make things really interesting, Sota's other sister when hearing the news had disappeared. Highly potent sources had confirmed Sesshomaru's suspensions, she had foolishly tried to save her brother in the “castle of the sky.”
 
Kagome was now hostage to a man both Sesshomaru and Inuyasha mutually despised. It was one of the few things they ever had in common with. 
 
The question that was frustrating him was why did Kagome still mean anything to him, he didn't feel for her the same way he did for Yue. So why was this increasingly burning feeling in his stomach, why was he pacing with anxiety, sending his best informant to gather information?
 
She meant nothing to him his mind tried to reason. After all, she was just a childhood friend. The concern he was feeling was for what Nataru would do to her. That bastard.
 
You see, Nataru had always been on the little obsessive side when it came to Kagome.
 
Sesshomaru didn't want to think what thoughts were going in the twit's mind about Yue's best friend.
 
About his childhood fiancée.