InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ First ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

First
 
 
Disclaimer: The pairing should be proof enough that I don't own Inuyasha.
 
AN: Perhaps I shouldn't bother with another excuse filled author's note, but I feel that I must make it clear that I do not mean for these long intervals. I also will not quit this story, as unbelievable as that sounds. I cannot promise that nothing else will get in the way, but I can promise that I will not abandon “First” and I will try my best to get the chapters to you as timely as I can.
 
Thanks to my best girl, Jewel, for helping me out with the action sequence. I owe you! ^_^
 
Chapter Three
 
Kagome shook her head sadly and watched as the redhead left in depression, not even taking the energy to take off in a whirlwind of dust and leaves. How she knew that look… humiliation and disappointment mixed with heartbreak… she felt for the female demon.
 
She could empathize. Every time Kagome saw Inuyasha with Kikyo, she could empathize. Except this time she was Kikyo, the very thought of it broke her heart. She was Ayame's Kikyo… and she didn't want to be. Taking a dejected look at her friends, Sango offer a sympathetic glance before turning back to the others. Inuyasha sat in annoyance by a tree, leaning under the tree.
 
They had lost track of time it seemed and the night of the new moon was that night and weren't able to find shelter to hide Inuyasha. She looked at him, it was his fault. It was his stubborn attitude; convinced he was close to Naraku, the man wouldn't slow down. If he had they could have stayed at the village and he'd be safe.
 
With a sigh she turned away from him, from them. There was a river nearby in the forest, “I'm going to take a swim,”
 
“Do you want me to come with you?” Sango asked.
 
Kagome shook her head, “I'll be fine,” she told them.
 
With a last look at Inuyasha, she bit her lip and followed the direction Ayame had left in. She didn't know what she would say to the woman when—if—she caught up to her, but something compelled Kagome to go after her. Was it guilt? Did she feel guilty that she was the reason for the broken heart of a poor woman?
She did… and though Kagome knew that she shouldn't—that it wasn't her fault Kouga acted as he did, she surely didn't invite it nor encourage it as Kikyo so often encouraged Inuyasha—but it still pulled at her gut. She had to find Ayame; she had to talk to her.
 
Ayame furrowed her brows when she heard it; the sound of a footstep crunching twigs. She stopped, though she did not turn around. She didn't need to see to know who it was… she could smell her scent when she first came after her. “What do you want?” she asked, perhaps with more venom in her voice than she had meant for. She knew she put too much blame on Kagome, but it was easier to hate her rival than to hate her love.
 
“I-I came to talk to you… shocked I was able to even catch up,” Kagome began to ramble and laughed a nervous laugh.
 
Ayame turned around, the coldest glare she could muster; she didn't want to talk. There was nothing this human could say to her that would make anything better. Which made her wonder… why hadn't she run away then, rather than walk at an apparently slow enough pace to where a mere human girl could catch up to her? “Talk about what?”
 
“I know how you feel,” she began.
 
Before another sentence could leave Kagome's mouth, Ayame jumped in, angry and suddenly with a target to take her frustration out on, “No, you don't get to say that. I wouldn't be feeling this way if it wasn't for you! If you'd just go back to where you came from, everything would be perfect!” she yelled.
 
Kagome frowned and her brows furrowed low, a look Ayame had never seen before. She'd seen Kagome angry with the hanyou as well as Kouga, but this look, this glare; it almost frightened the wolf demoness. “I did nothing wrong! You may think you can blame me for Kouga's actions, but I have done nothing to encourage him!” she yelled back at the demon woman, her prior nervousness now a memory as her fury came to a boil, “I told him, I told him I didn't care for him as he did me. I told him to go to you, to stay true to his promise. It's not my fault that he doesn't love you… you know, maybe it's time you got over him.”
 
The women met each other's eyes with a heated glare, neither saying a word after that. Kagome would have mentally cursed herself for her words, but at the moment she was far too engrossed in her anger.
 
It wasn't until Ayame froze and her nose twitched did Kagome sense the evil aura so near to them. Looking, it didn't take her long to spot the danger.
 
The creature looked directly at her with its black beady eyes. Slowly it stalked towards them and Kagome cursed herself for not realizing sooner… not knowing her companion was currently doing the same.
 
It was huge, this creature… walking on four legs like some ancient dinosaur, greatly flicking its huge body with each step. Its forked tongue made an appearance frequently, obviously sensing the two. And those two beady black eyes seemed to be able to bore deep down, as if to freeze you in place with mentally transmitted venom.
 
“Come on, we have to move!” Ayame said, trying to get Kagome to start running while she fended it off. She might have hated the woman for stealing her man, but she couldn't find it in herself to leave the human to be eaten. And as much as she hated to think about it… it would make Kouga hate her even more.
 
Kagome turned her head to watch the demoness stand firm while pushing Kagome to take off, but Kagome couldn't leave her to die, either. Things had changed over the years and Kagome was no longer the damsel in distress with no other use and since she went off on her own, she still had her arrows. She quickly pulled one out and took aim in preparation.
 
“What are you doing, you idiot? Get moving!” Ayame growled at her.
 
“I'm not going to leave you to fight that thing alone,” Kagome said, eyes faltering from the invading demon just enough to give it time to move.
 
As she turned to Ayame to give her point more emphasis, the demon quickly lashed forward, and despite its small legs and heavy girth, it managed to move rather quickly. Ayame noticed this quickly and she immediately scooped Kagome up in her arms to dodge the beast, only to be lashed by its thick, leathery tail as she missed its head.
 
The two girls went flying into a tree, Ayame taking most of the hit. She was more durable, and though it was the last thing she wanted, she would defend her rival; though the thought of just letting the demon devour her did cross her thoughts. No one would ever know... and without Kagome around, Kouga's attention would be fully on her. She quickly shook the thought from her head. She would never stoop so low… if—when—she won Kouga's affections from Kagome, it would be because she was the better match. Not because she was the only one left.
 
When Ayame snapped back to her senses, she realized Kagome was up and firing an arrow at the strange lizard. She watched the holy power go right at the demon, but amazingly it had great reflexes and dodged it, running at them once again. This time Ayame rushed forward, she wasn't about to let Kagome steal the show. She rushed the demon, about to attack. However the demon was just as wily and evaded her attack, but countered with its own. It opened its large mouth, slime and drool creating long, sticky lines between the teeth on both bottom and top jaw. Its massive, saw-like teeth sunk deep into Ayame's leg, ripping the flesh and meat as she moved through the air, drool dangling from its lower lip.
 
Refusing to let out a scream, she bit her lip and kicked the demon's head with her other foot, forcing it let go. This was it, their chance to get away. She quickly ran to Kagome, ignoring the stinging pain in her leg and scooped her up as Inuyasha and Kouga had did so many times before, and took off in a whirlwind of dust and leaves, running as far and as fast as her legs would allow.
 
The strange lizard just stood there, and cracked its neck, that attack hadn't hurt in the least. A demented smirk crossed the demon's large lips; flicking its tongue out a few times, the demon started off in the same direction the wolf demoness had run.
 
 
Pushing her body with all her might, Ayame felt her legs tense up. Still, she pumped them and continued on, no longer knowing where she was running to.
 
Kagome looked up at the redhead and frowned, the demon was sweating and pale, and “Ayame, we're far enough, stop!” she told her.
 
Ayame ignored Kagome and kept going. She ran and ran until her legs finally gave out and she fell to her knees, dropping the woman she was carrying. Breathing heavily and wincing at the pain in her leg, she sat down and stretched out her legs.
 
Kagome got up and walked towards the fallen wolf demon; looking at Ayame's leg, Kagome winced for her. Where the lizard demon had bitten her, blood still gushed and a strange blue coloration formed around the wound. With a frown she took her shirt off, leaving her in her pink tank top she'd warn underneath. Kagome had stopped wearing skirts to the feudal era the year before, opting to wear blue-jeans instead. Kagome wrapped the yellow t-shirt around the bite.
 
Standing up, she looked around. She didn't know where Ayame had taken them and when she asked, the only answer she received was, “I just ran,”
 
It didn't seem that the demon had caught up with them yet, but if it did… Ayame was in no condition to fight and Kagome only had three arrows left. With a resolve, Kagome knelt down. In two years Kagome learned enough to stay alive and safe on her own and training with Kaede helped Kagome learn to control the spiritual power she held; it seemed that now would test her skills.
 
Delving deep into concentration, Kagome pulled a barrier around the area. The two women would be safe from the demon.
 
Once Kagome was confident that the barrier was up and strong she walked back over to Ayame, “The barrier will keep us safe until you're better,” she assured her.
 
Taking another look around the area, Kagome was sure they would be able to survive here. It was clear they were on the other side of the river, Kagome gathered, since the river itself was still visible but on the opposite side of where it was. There were trees all around them, everything was green. She would have found it to be beautiful if she wasn't currently frightened out of her mind.
 
First thing, she needed to clean out the wound; Kaede and Sango had taught her what herbs helped illnesses and wounds and Kagome recognized some of them here already. She just hoped that she'd be enough help to Ayame's health.
 
“Come on,” she helped the demoness up, “lean on me and we'll get that cleaned.”
 
Ayame leaned on the smaller woman and they made their way to the river where Kagome cleaned her wound.
 
With a frown a thought had crossed Kagome's mind. The demon wouldn't get to them now, it wouldn't find them…
 
And neither would her friends…
 
There's chapter three. Another thanks to Jewel, I wouldn't have gotten this out without her.
 
Yuck. Not my type. I'm so over that whole uniform thing.” - David (Gordon Michael Woolvett) - Bride of Chucky