InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ For The One You Love ❯ New Moon Gift ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi All!
 
 
I know, I know, it's anotherInuKag fic by YoukaiLuvr, but I can't help it - they're just too perfect!! And the setting of Feudal Japan plus Naraku (though he can be a bit cliché at times) can create near unlimited possibilities! This plot has been rolling around in my head for a while now, so I hope it will turn out okay and you will like it. Not too much action, `cause as those of you who have read my fics know, I kinda suck at action scenes….
 
 
You may want to see episode 13 - “The Mystery of the New Moon and the Black-Haired Inuyasha” - before reading this first chapter. It's not really all that important, but it does help to explain some reactions. However, the reactions are mainly in the first chap, so it doesn't really matter after that.
 
 
WARNING!! This fic, while not having explicit descriptions, will deal with a serious subject matter. In manga ratings, I figure this would be rated `T+/older teens' for 16 and up. I in no way condone this matter, but I happened upon this idea while watching another show, and it would not let me go. Rest assured though, there is a happy ending. Eventually. Warning over. Thank you. Now you may read the fic.
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, created by Takahashi Rumiko, nor do I own any of the original show characters or plot lines.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
For the One You Love
Chapter 1
New Moon Gift
 
 
“Hup-ah!” came the cry from the well accompanied by an overstuffed yellow pack. A moment later, a raven-hair young woman climbed out of the well. Kagome straddled the edge of the well for a moment to catch her breath, then pulled her left leg over into the Feudal Era. Inuyasha wasn't there to fetch her from the well like he normally was, so she had to get out by herself. How in the world does he make that look so easy? she wondered, not for the first time.
 
 
Having no Inuyasha to greet her at the well was a bit of a surprise, but an understandable one. Tonight was that of the new moon, and with dusk was quickly approaching, he was most likely staying close to `home.' Hefting her large pack up and onto her shoulder, Kagome started down the path to the village.
 
 
Reaching the edge of the village, Kagome paused for a moment to watch as the evening scene unfolded before her. The usual activities were taking place - fathers coming in from the fields, mothers calling in wayward children for dinner, others were bringing in their animals for the night. The smell of said dinners brought Kagome out her reverie. I'd better get going, she thought. Inuyasha is going to be demanding his ramen with dinner.... With that thought bringing a small smile to her face, she resumed her trek towards Kaede's hut.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
Upon entering the hut, Kagome was immediately tackled by the reddish fuzzball known to the world as Shippou. “Kagome!” he cried. “You're back! Inuyasha was being mean again!” He turned as he spoke to make a face at said hanyou. “I was not!” retorted Inuyasha, sounding annoyed. “The little brat interrupted my hunt earlier!”
 
 
Shippou replied hotly from the safety of Kagome's arms. “No, I didn't! How was I supposed to know that you were hunting?! I thought you were just sitting there!”
 
 
Kagome broke in before the fight got any worse. “Alright you two, that's enough,” she said. “I didn't come back just to hear the two of you fight. I've got ramen to go with dinner and candy for afterwards.”
 
 
That got a shut mouth and a grin from both boys. Shippou hopped down from Kagome's arms and they both sat down to wait patiently - well, as much as possible - for the promised treats.
 
 
“Hello, Sango, Miroku, Kaede,” said Kagome, turning to each of them in turn. “Hi Kagome,” said Sango, who was sitting beside Miroku, who had the ever-present red handprint on his cheek. “Hello, Kagome,” said Miroku, grinning. “Kagome,” said Kaede, who was stirring a pot hung over the fire. “How was your trip?”
 
 
“Oh, it was fine,” said the younger miko, sitting down beside Sango. “The tests went better than I thought, though I probably still didn't get the best grade. Oh, before I forget, may I heat up some water for the ramen, Kaede?”
 
 
The older miko just smiled at her. “I have already anticipated that you would be needing some.” Kaede pulled a smaller pot of water from the coals and placed it on a second rack over the fire to finish heating. “Thanks,” said Kagome.
 
 
“Hey Kagome?” called Inuyasha. All eyes turned to him. He had been rummaging in Kagome's backpack for the ramen as usual and found a white-silver…something. To Inuyasha, it was this mass of stuff that was weird and he didn't know what it was, so he asked. “What's this?” he said, holding up the…thing. “Oh!” cried Kagome, reaching over to take it from him. “I nearly forgot about that.”
 
 
She turned her back on them and fiddled with the object before lifting it over her head and turning around. “Well, what do you think?” she asked. The others in the hut were speechless at first.
 
 
The `thing' was a wig, so light a silver that it seemed white, but the defining part of it was the fact that it had matching dog ears perched on the top. She looked at first glance to be a female Inuyasha, though shorter with brown eyes and dressed in a hunter green top and khaki pants.
 
 
Inuyasha's mouth was hanging open. Whoa…she looks…wow, he thought. “Uh,” he said, still unsure of what exactly to say. “What is it?” She blushed slightly before pulling the wig off and handing it to him.
 
 
“It's a gift for you,” she said. “It's a wig - to use on nights like tonight. The biggest give away to your human night is your hair color; I know it won't do anything about your aura or Tetsusaiga, but I thought it'd be one more defense against unwanted people finding out.”
 
 
Wow…was still all Inuyasha was thinking. He snapped himself out of it, realizing Kagome was waiting for him to take the wig from her. “Uh, thanks, Kagome,” he said, reaching out and taking the gift from her.
 
 
“I guess we shall find out how this will work tonight,” observed Miroku. “Yes, there's only about an hour left until sunset,” said Sango, backing up what Miroku had just said.
 
 
Suddenly, Shippou tensed before leaping into Kagome's lap, his little body quivering like a leaf in a fall breeze. “Shippou!” called Kagome in surprise. “What's wrong? What is it?” He wouldn't answer her; he just clung to her abdomen for dear life.
 
 
Kirara turned to face outside and growled, though the effect was much diminished in her kitten form. “Kirara,” said Sango, who was now starting to get worried slightly. Inuyasha got up to look out the window of the hut to try to see what had gotten Kirara and Shippou so riled up.
 
 
Kagome was trying to get Shippou to talk to her and tell her what the problem was, but no such luck. “He's never acted like this before,” she said to room at large. “I don't know what's wrong….”
 
 
“I do,” said Inuyasha, his voice intense and somewhat strained.
 
 
“What?” said the others, nearly in unison. Inuyasha beckoned them to the window. They squeezed next to each other to see out of the small opening. Out in the forest named for their hanyou friend, there were dozens upon dozens of pairs of glowing red spots. Spots that looked like eyes....
 
 
“Oh, kami…” whispered Kagome. She turned to Inuyasha with Shippou in her arms; he still hadn't released his hold on her. “Are those what I think they are, Inuyasha?” The hanyou snorted. “Keh, yeah - and they're not alone either. Those damn bugs are with them, too.”
 
 
“What are you two talking about?” said Miroku. Inuyasha turned to him and Sango. “You two see those eyes out in the forest, right?” They nodded. “Well, each set belongs to a spider-head demon. And on top of that, there are saimyosho with them.” Miroku and Sango's eyes widened. “Battles against spider-heads were rare in my village,” said Sango. “I could probably count them on one hand.”
 
 
Kagome lifted Shippou up so she could look in his eyes. “That's why you're so scared,” she said. “You remember what happened last time, don't you?” The young kit nodded. Kagome hugged him tight. “Well, this time we've got lots more people on our side, so the fight is bound to go better, right?” Shippou nodded again.
 
 
“Still, with that many spiders out there, we have to fight them away from the village,” said Inuyasha. “Right,” said Miroku, turning to Kaede while the others gathered their weapons. “Kaede-sama, would you please make sure that the villagers stay in their homes tonight and no one ventures into the forest?”
 
 
“Aye,” said the old miko, wishing the group farewell as they left the hut for yet another battle.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
Although the trip to the forest was short, Shippou - who had been reassured enough to release his death grip on Kagome - filled in Miroku and Sango about what had happened the last time they had fought a group of spider-heads, just a few short days before they had met Miroku.
 
 
“Kagome, do I have to wear this thing now?” complained Inuyasha to the girl on his back. Kagome had stopped him before they left the hut and put the wig on him. “This way the sunset won't sneak up on us and those spiders won't learn your secret,” she said. “It makes it even harder to hear than it already is!” he added for further complaint.
 
 
“Well, I'm sorry,” retorted Kagome hotly. “It's either this or risking being caught in the middle of a bunch of spiders when night comes! Take your pick, hotshot.”
 
 
The group of heroes sped into the forest and found themselves in one of its many clearings - probably one courtesy of Inuyasha and his frustration via his claws or Tetsusaiga. Unfortunately, they also found themselves surrounded by spider-heads and saimyosho.
 
 
The two groups were at a stand still until a crow took off from a nearby tree. A crow, mused Miroku. A bird of bad omen…that does not bode well.... The bird's take-off dislodged a loose branch that fell to the ground. When it hit, the branch barely made a sound, but the results were that of the starting bell in a prize fight.
 
 
The spiders and wasps rushed forward from all sides and our heroes braced themselves, reading their attacks for the onslaught of demons….
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
Soon, it became apparent that the heroes were holding their ground, but not easily. With Inuyasha loosing strength and Miroku unable to use his Kazaana, their offense capabilities were severely reduced. Shippou was thrown from the back of the spider he was attacking and into a tree twice as big around as he; Kagome, seeing this, tore herself from the safety of Inuyasha's side to run after her adopted son.
 
 
“Shippou!” she called, darting across the clearing to where he lay at the base of the tree. “Kagome!” hollered Inuyasha; he tried to run after her, but he was stopped every time by more spider-heads. Damn, he thought. How many of these things are there?
 
 
Before Kagome could get to Shippou, however, a single spider unlatched itself from its brethren and tackled her around her torso, causing her to drop to her knees.
 
 
Inuyasha was angry enough by this point, but this was really ticking him off. He had a clear view of Kagome and the spider on her back, due to the maneuverings he had had to do in trying to get to her.
 
 
Putting one of it's ugly claws over her mouth, the spider pulled Kagome head to one side and lowered its head to her neck. Sensing what was coming, Kagome struggled harder than she had been, but it was to no use - the demon's grip was just too strong. Inuyasha, having seen the same thing and knowing first hand what that felt like, redoubled his efforts to get to her. “Kagome!!!” he cried, this time getting the attention of the others.
 
 
Sango and Miroku, back-to-back, looked up after dispatching the last of their demons in that bunch. “Kagome!” cried Sango. “Kagome-sama,” said Miroku. The two of them started the fight again, this time fighting to get to Kagome.
 
 
The spider's fangs dripped a milky-white liquid onto Kagome's skin as he looked up and locked eyes with Inuyasha, taunting him. Not relinquishing the contact with the hanyou, the demon reached down his head and sank his fangs into Kagome's tender neck.
 
 
Her scream, though muffled by the spider's hand, was enough to enrage Inuyasha further. Her struggles, which had increased slightly just before the bite, slowed bit by bit until she went limp in her captor's arms. “Kagome!!!!!” cried Inuyasha, leaping forward with a great burst of strength…
 
 
Straight into a cloud of miasma. The noxious vapors sent all of our heroes into a coughing fit until a upward Kaze no Kizu from Tetsusaiga dispersed them. When the cloud had cleared, however, no trace of the battle had remained. No saimyosho, no spider-heads…
 
 
No Kagome.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
So, what do you guys think? It'll get kinda dark in the next few chaps, but it'll have a happy ending, I promise! And it will be InuKag - I don't write anything else. And obviously, it's gonna be a multi-chap fic - so, just be patient with me; I'll get the next chapter out soon! Dai!
 
 
YoukaiLuvr