InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ For The One You Love ❯ Aftereffects, Part One ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi all!
 
 
First, many thanks for those who reviewed: FFnet - enriya, oldestmaiden, and heavenly hanyou; MMorg- LadyCash, shipporinKIMS11, miley, and Novemberkid.
 
 
Secondly, a couple of you have stated a few concerns about this story so far. I will try to address them here without giving away the plot line.
 
 
Inuyasha's sense of smell?Normally, yes, Inu would be able to smell that Naraku had been on Kagome. But you have to remember, Kagome's been inside the castle for the entire night - she would have been covered by Naraku's scent anyway. Also, Kagura gave Kagome one of her yukata and moved her to a different room. Those may not have done a lot, but they would have reduced the overpowering effects of the scent. Plus, the sun would have just barely risen by the time Inuyasha burst into the castle - his senses may not have been up to full strength yet.
 
 
Kagome pregnant?Several of you are concerned about Kagome getting pregnant. I will not say for sure as of now, although you will know soon (probably next chapter). If you are on the fence about continuing, I ask that you please stick it out. Truly, everything has a purpose in this story. So bare with me, please?
 
 
Oh, and obviously, this story is notmanga-compliant - I usually try to make my stories fit, but this just doesn't work....
 
 
Theonly other thing is a big apology to you guys. I had a really roughspring semester - which included starting a new job - and the summer was just one thing after another. Then my computer decided to go on the fritz,butthankfully my bf was able to fix it before it went kaput on me.
 
 
Trekker (FanFiction)
 
 
YoukaiLuvr (MediaMiner)
 
 
P.S. I want to thank LadyCash from MediaMiner for the first part of her review.... “Hoo-boy……Sh*t's gonna fly now!” That gave me a much needed laugh when I read it, so thanks, LadyCash!
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
For The One You Love
 
 
Chapter 3
 
 
Aftereffects, Part One
 
 
 
Inuyasha and Kagome's need for an easy exit must have been a prayer heard by the kami, for they were stopped by nothing but a few stray saimyoushou - dispatched easily with a swipe of the claws - on their hasty retreat from Naraku's castle.
 
 
Sango, Miroku, Shippou, and Kirara were waiting outside the castle on the edge of the forest. Inuyasha did not slow down in his mad dash to wait for them; they merely climbed onto Kirara's back and followed him.
 
 
Once a safe distance away from the castle, they paused long enough to allow Inuyasha to remove the wig and stuff it back inside Kagome's pack. Dawn had come shortly after he entered the castle, but he didn't remove it for fear of revealing the secret.
 
 
The rest of the trip back to Kaede's was silent. Kagome had fallen asleep in the safety of Inuyasha's arms within a few minutes after they had reached the forest; none of the others had the heart to wake her to ask what had happened. Within about six hours, they were back on the outskirts of Edo.
 
 
A welcome sense of relief flowed over all of them. They were home, they were safe, and Kagome would soon be taken care of by the best healer they knew.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
When they reached Kaede's hut, Inuyasha pushed aside the bamboo curtain with his shoulder to enter the hut. Kaede looked up and let out a slight gasp.
 
 
“Inuyasha…what has happened to her?”
 
 
Inuyasha was short and to the point.
 
 
“Naraku. He had her from dusk to dawn; she hasn't woken up for us to ask her since.”
 
 
Kaede nodded. “I see. Please wake her now, Inuyasha, and leave her in the care of myself and Sango. Ye men will need to leave the hut - and your earshot, young hanyou - until one of us comes to fetch you.”
 
 
Inuyasha bristled momentarily at Kaede's commands of leaving earshot, but he did realize that she and Sango most likely were going to try to get Kagome to talk about whatever happened. And judging by how the miko had clung to him when he found her, she would need to talk soon....
 
 
He nodded and placed Kagome on the futon that had appeared out of nowhere. He shook her shoulder gently.
 
 
“Hey, Kagome - we're back. It's time to get up. Kagome....”
 
 
Kagome stirred. Opening her eyes, she blinked. “Uh-huh? Inuyasha?”
 
 
He smiled, softly. “Yeah, it's me. We're back at Kaede's. She says I need to leave you here with her and Sango, `kay? I'll be back as soon as possible.”
 
 
Kagome nodded as he laid her back down gently. Recluctantly, the hanyou left the hut along with the kit and the monk.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
After the men left the hut, Kaede sent Sango out to fetch some water. The elder miko turned to Kagome.
 
 
“What happened, child?”
 
 
Kagome looked down, not meeting her mentor's eyes. Sango returned with the water; she set down the water and sat down next to her best friend.
 
 
“Kagome,” she said. “Are you okay?”
 
 
Kagome was silent, catching Kaede's attention even more. It was rare that she didn't answer Sango.
 
 
“Kagome? Child, are you alright?”
 
 
She shook her head.
 
 
“No…I'm not.”
 
 
She turned to Sango and threw herself into the older girl's arms as the tears and the tales of the events from the past evening that had been held at bay by sleep started to pour out.
 
 
“I'm not okay….”
 
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
A few hours later, Sango emerged from the hut. Kagome had eventually calmed down enough to tell her and Kaede exactly what had happened during her stay at Naraku's castle. After her tale had been told, the two girls left for a nearby riverpool; a small inlet, a dip you could say, into the side of the riverbed that allowed the water to flow in there and collect, staying much calmer than the turbulent current of the main river.
 
 
Kagome and Sango both bathed and redressed; upon returning to the hut, Kaede bandaged a few of the worst of the scratches. Sango turned to Kagome as the younger girl pulled the borrowed kimono back around her waist.
 
 
“Ano…Kagome, are you, ah, going to tell Inuyasha? A-about what happened?”
 
 
Kagome froze in her movements, resuming them after a moment or two. “No, Sango, I'm not. At least, not yet. And neither are the two of you, if you don't mind.”
 
 
Kagome finished tying the kimono shut and sighed. “I know I will have to tell him eventually, but…just not yet. You can tell Miroku, I guess, but Shippou and Inuyasha will remain in the dark about all of this until we have to tell them.”
 
 
Sango and Kaede both nodded their assent. This would be a secret among the women until such a time as it was no longer necessary to keep it so.
 
 
Now, however, Sango was headed in to the edge of the forest to find the guys and bring them back in. Kaede had started a small lunch and the afternoon was fast approaching. Before she had gotten very far, though, Inuyasha dropped down in front of her.
 
 
“Well?” he asked. “Can we come back in yet?”
 
 
His tone was brisk and gruff, but Sango knew better than to take it personally.
 
 
“Yes, you guys can come ba- ”
 
 
She wasn't able to get more out before Inuyasha took off, leaping and running in the direction of Kaede's hut. Miroku came to stand beside her, Shippou on his shoulder, watching him run back.
 
 
“He's been jumpy and irritable ever since we returned. I don't think Kaede-sama's orders agreed with him, however sensible they may have been.”
 
 
Sango turned to the monk. “Miroku....”
 
 
“So, Sango, has Kagome-sama told you what has happened to her?”
 
 
“Y-Yes, but....” Sango trailed off, looking at Shippou. The kit caught her look.
 
 
“I'm gonna go see if any of my friends can play. Just yell for me if Kagome needs anything!” And with that, he leapt off Miroku's shoulder and took off for the village square. Now kit-less, Miroku turned back to Sango.
 
 
“So what happened?”
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
Inuyasha stormed through the bamboo curtain door of Kaede's hut. Kagome and Kaede looked up from their places by the firepit.
 
 
“Oi, baba, can you leave? I wanna talk to Kagome.”
 
 
Kagome started.
 
 
“Inuyasha, don't be so rude! Kaede has all the right to be here - it's her home and -”
 
 
“It's alright, child.”
 
 
Kagome turned to the elder miko, surprised.
 
 
“Kaede?”
 
 
“I will just see if young Shippou will help me to fetch the food for dinner tonight.”
 
 
With that, Kaede stood up and left Kagome in the hut with Inuyasha. Kagome fidgeted where she sat.
 
 
“So?”
 
 
She looked up at Inuyasha.
 
 
“So what?”
 
 
“So what the hell happened, Kagome?! You were there all fucking night. I doubt Naraku simply wanted to chat!”
 
 
Inuyasha came over and sat down beside her. She tried to think of something and quickly.
 
 
“Oh…he just wanted the jewel shards…and information.”
 
 
“What kind of information?”
 
 
She paused.
 
 
“Nothing I could tell him; obviously, he wasn't very happy about that, so he hurt me a little.”
 
 
Inuyasha growled. That bastard....
 
 
A small hand was placed over his. Startled, he looked up into indescribable grey-blue eyes.
 
 
“It's alright, Inuyasha. He didn't do anything permanent.”
 
 
You're hiding something…aren't you, Kagome? thought Inuyasha.
 
 
Inuyasha placed his arm around her, hiding a wince when he felt her tense at the movement before relaxing into his embrace.
 
 
“Well, whatever the hell he did, he won't get the chance to do it again - I swear it.”
 
 
Kagome smiled.
 
 
“Thank you, Inuyasha.”
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
So, that's that. The next chap should be where things get interesting. Please R&R and see ya later!
 
 
Trekker(FanFiction)
 
 
YoukaiLuvr (MediaMiner)