InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Starts Today ❯ Forever Starts Today ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Geez, this is the absolute corniest thing I've EVER written. Well, what else can you expect from writing while listening to Total Eclipse of the Heart? …. Anywho, enjoy.
 
 
XXxXxX
 
 
They had gathered around the well, to see Kagome off. The shikon jewel was completed, and there was no reason for Kagome to stay behind in the Warring States Era. She was going to take the jewel to her time, to guard it at the shrine. All ready, she and Inuyasha had made an agreement not to return to each other's time. If she kept traveling to the past, time could be severely altered. And, if Inuyasha brought back any objects or ideas that shouldn't be thought of yet, history could change drastically.
 
Her giant yellow backpack was on the edge of the well, ready for her to grab when she'd jump in. It was far too bright a color for today; everyone had a solemn look on their face. Sango was holding Shippo, and she stood in between Miroku and Kaede. Inuyasha stood several feet away, arms crossed over his chest, with a sourpuss look on his face.
 
“I'm…. I'm going to miss you guys so much,” Kagome said, trying to keep her voice was cracking. The truth was, she didn't want to leave them, not at all. She was ready to cry, but not now. It was going to be hard enough, leaving them, without the tears. If she cried, they'd comfort her, and she'd never leave.
 
“As we will miss you, Kagome,” Kaede said, and Sango and Miroku nodded in agreement.
 
She gave them a sad smile, and bent down to hug Kaede goodbye. The old woman hugged her tightly, and whispered, “Keep up with your training as a priestess. You shall be great one day.”
 
“I-I will, Kaede,” she said and straightened up, turning to Miroku and Sango. But before she could say anything, Shippo launched himself out of Sango's arms and into Kagome's.
 
“Don't go, Kagome!” he sobbed, clinging to her blouse as he cried. “Please, don't go….”
 
She couldn't hold back her tears then. She knew how much she meant to Shippo; she was practically his adopted mother. Kagome held him close, and said softly, “I wish I could stay, Shippo, I really do. I-I just don't belong in this time.”
 
“I don't care! I-we all want you to stay. Please Kagome!”
 
“Shippo,” Miroku said softly, stepping up beside her, “Kagome has to return to her family, and the life she has in her time. You don't want her to miss her family, do you?”
 
“No….” the little kitsune said, wiping his tears away. “B-but….”
 
“Shippo, if you're still alive during my time, you can come visit me, okay?” Kagome said gently, ready to wipe her own tears off her cheeks.
 
Shippo looked doubtful, but nodded and allowed Miroku to lift him out of her arms.
 
“Kagome,” Miroku said, holding Shippo in one arm and using the other to reach into a pouch he was carrying with him, “Sango and I would like you to have these.”
 
He held out a string of prayer beads - the beads that had been around his wrist, keeping his Kanzaana in- and a short dagger that Kagome recognized as one that Sango used on very rare occasions. She accepted them, staring at the objects.
 
“They're just something for you to remember us by,” Sango said.
 
“Thank you,” Kagome said softly. “I-I wish that I had thought to give you something-”
 
“We'll never forget you, Kagome, whether or not you give us something,” Miroku said.
 
“Thank you,” she said again, and hugged him, careful to not squash Shippo. She hugged Sango next, and struggled to hold back tears. Whether or not Sango realized it, she had become one of Kagome's best friends. She was so different, so much more considerate than her friends in her time, and she would miss her greatly.
 
Kagome looked over at Inuyasha after she finished hugging Sango, wiping her tears away. He had his back slightly to her now. “Inuyasha…?”
 
He glanced at her, then shifted uncomfortably, for everyone's eyes had turned onto him.
 
“….Let's go back to the village now,” Miroku said suddenly, and Sango nodded in agreement.
 
“But-but, I wanted to see Kagome go through the well!” Shippo cried as they all began walking to the village.
 
Sango or Miroku must've said something to quiet him, for Kagome didn't hear any more from him. She kept her eyes on Inuyasha, who had begun walking to her as soon as Miroku, Sango, Kaede and Shippo were a good distance away.
 
When he came close, Kagome turned her eyes down. She didn't want to look at him now, not when she knew it would be the last time she would see him. She didn't want it to be the last time, and wished so strongly she could stay in the Feudal Era, just so she could stay near him.
 
He was right beside her; she could see from his feet being so close to hers. He was just as silent as she, just as still. Kagome began to grow uncomfortable in the silence; she needed to do something. Slowly, she looked up. He was staring down at her with such sadness, such emotion in his eyes. It nearly broke her heart.
 
Ever so slowly, she stepped closer, leaning in on her tiptoes as she reached up towards his face…
 
And lifted the necklace over his head.
 
Inuyasha blinked, looking slightly surprised that she had done that. She held the rosary out. “Here,” she said.
 
He stared at the necklace, as though in contemplation. Gingerly, he picked it up out of her hand, as though he were afraid it would break, and put it around her neck. “Keep it,” he said.
 
There was silence between them once again.
 
Suddenly, Kagome found herself wrapped in Inuyasha's arms, so tightly. She gasped, then locked her arms around his waist as she finally broke down and really cried. She did not want to leave, not at all….
 
“Hey, don't cry,” she heard Inuyasha say almost gently.
 
“I'm not crying,” Kagome protested, though she knew that they both knew she was crying.
 
“Sure you aren't,” Inuyasha muttered.
 
“Shut up.”
 
“Sorry,” he said, and fell silent for another moment. “Hey, Kagome?”
 
“Y-yeah?”
 
“When-when you go back to your time, you can- I mean….Just don't forget me, okay?”
 
XxXxXxXX
 
 
Inuyasha had tried. He really had tried to go one without Kagome, had tried to fall back into his normal schedule. The only trouble was, he couldn't remember what he did without Kagome. There were no shards to track down, no Naraku to defeat. Inuyasha was just plain bored.
 
He did what he could; fought any demons that attacked Kaede's village, the village he was currently staying around. He didn't stay directly in the village; no, he slept in the God Tree. He went to the village as little as possible; there was no need to go there. Sango and Miroku left with Shippo shortly after Kagome, to return to the demon exterminator's village. Shippo was still too young to be left on his own, and though Inuyasha had secretly grown fond of the kitsune, he didn't want to be bothered with keeping an eye on him every minute of every day.
 
The days were very long, for him. With almost nothing to do, he would spend most of his time staring at the well, wondering, almost hoping, that she'd come through, that she'd break their promise not to return to each other's time. But, she never did.
 
It was nearly two months after Kagome returned to their time that Inuyasha went through the well.
 
He felt like he was going crazy. He couldn't concentrate on anything, not that he had much to do. But, his thoughts would always come back to her; how was she doing? Could a demon possible have attacked her in her time? And, the worst thought of all: what if she was going out with that Hojo guy she had mentioned before?
 
He knew he had no claim on her. He knew she was free to be with anyone she wanted, but it didn't mean he had to like it. It made Inuyasha livid to imagine someone else with Kagome, holding her, kiss-
 
He refused to imagine that. He knew that it was impossible for her to live her life out without a kiss from anyone, but he absolutely refused to let the image of someone else kissing her. He wanted to be her first kiss, to be the only one to ever kiss her, to ever hold her, to ever be with her.
 
Though he rarely admitted it, Inuyasha needed her with him. She…no matter how cliché it sounded, she completed him. She was perhaps the only person he'd ever met that accepted him as he was; a half-demon. She calmed him (though, of course, they were known to have their fights), she was the person he needed.
 
So, one day, Inuyasha leapt into the well. He half expected to just hit the bottom of the well, as he was half sure that she had sealed the well. But, there was the usual glowing blue light and he touched down on her side of the well. It was dark, as it always was in the building that housed the well. Why there was a building surrounding the well, he'd never understand. It made it so dark, even he was barely able to see. But he knew the building so well, knew the well, that he was able to judge how high he had to leap to reach the top.
 
He jumped to the top and landed on the edge of the well. He nearly toppled over, back into the well, when, rather suddenly, the doors to the building opened, and Kagome stood in the doorway.
 
They stared at each other. Was she coming to see him? Had she missed him as much as he had her?
 
He stepped off the well, and she ran to him, dropping the small bag she had with her. Her arms wrapped around his neck, clinging to him. Inuyasha let out a small, slight laugh before hugging her just as tightly.
 
“I-I couldn't stay away,” he heard Kagome sob -she was crying? Why was she crying? “I was coming to see you.”
 
“I…couldn't stay away either.” He smiled, closing his eyes. This was where he needed to be. It didn't matter what era it was; he belonged with Kagome, forever.
 
And forever would start today.
 
 
 
 
 
XxXxXx
 
I admit it. I totally stole the last line from the song (though I did was change tonight to today, and gonna to would).
 
Kay, so what Kaede said- I don't really know if Kagome is training as a priestess; I kinda forget. Let's pretend she is.
 
Dang, this is FAR too cheesy for what I usually write. Bleh. Oh well……
 
Review?