InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Friends and Foes ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Friends and Foes

The Shichinin-tai are getting payback on a town, when they run into a native, a demon. Her persona bugs them, giving them an enemy. Later they are sent on a hunt for a woman they hate, when Naraku wants her dead. Will they get her, or will some1 intervene?

::Note:: if at any point in the story you see a number encased in a set of square brackets, refer to the bottom of the page. This means that I have something to say, but I don't want to interrupt the flow of the story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Shichinin-tai walked down a path that led to a VERY familiar village…the village that their slayers came from. It was about time that they showed them whose boss. Everyone should know that you can't push the Shichinin-tai around and expect to live to tell the tale. However, none of them knew about the newest breed of natives that lived there. It had been 10 years since they were in that village, and none of them had even considered the thought that maybe something had changed.

Bankotsu and Jakotsu walked up ahead, talking about something, while the rest lagged behind. Bankotsu laughed at something Jakotsu had said, and Suikotsu sneered. That stupid fool, if only he knew…

Bankotsu turned around sharply, at the sound of his comrade's sneer. Ever since they had awoken the killer within him, he had been different. No matter. They couldn't have a weakling in their group, Bankotsu just wouldn't hear of it. Although, it was those weak females who poured his sake…a quirky smile played itself on his lips, and Jakotsu sighed irritably. `He must be thinking of women pouring his sake,' he thought. Not wanting to disturb his leader, Jakotsu just decided on walking slowly, enjoying the scenery. [1]

She ran quickly through the surrounding forest, seeing if any intruders were about. She smelled people walking towards her village, but figured they were just passing by. She narrowed her eyes when she smelled something unfamiliar in the air. She jumped to the top of the trees to get a better whiff.

She stood on top of a mighty oak tree, her black kimono flapping quietly in the cool breeze. Black smoke was coming out of a chimney in a village. To be exact, the chimney that belonged to a deranged old man that believed he could create medicines that could heal any injury. Sighing, she shook her head at his lack of common sense. Last time, he had nearly set half the village on fire. She had told him that you cannot light dead leaves and grass on fire, and then throw it at a hut to ward off a demon spirit. Of course, the old man was stubborn, and didn't learn his lesson until Kyoko had to save him and nearly half of the village.

Bankotsu snapped back to reality when he sensed a strong presence nearby. It never occurred to him that MAYBE he should check it out.

They rounded a bend, seeing a cheery village below. The leader of the Shichinin-tai could hear the laughter of children, and it bugged him to a high extent. Jakotsu on the other hand, loved the sound of children. Suddenly his facial expression darkened as he saw a teenager walking hand-in-hand with a VERY hot guy. `He should be mine,' Jakotsu thought angrily, before smiling, "He CAN be mine," he laughed extensively, receiving him cold glares from the other members.

Before anyone could say anything, Jakotsu raced down the hill, Jakotsutou drawn. "Jakotsu, wait," Jakotsu stopped upon hearing Bankotsu's voice. "Don't kill the women," he shouted, before giving the signal to charge.

Jakotsu ran at them, killing the guy instantly. He had decided on killing him after all. Any man who wants a woman doesn't deserve to live. The girl screamed, seeing her boyfriend's lifeless body.

Tears flowed out over her cheeks as she ran…ran to inform her village of the trespassers. However, kami-sama wasn't on her side, as she noticed the other men of the Shichinin-tai already attacking her village.

Elsewhere, Kyoko heard screams. As she ran through the forest, a certain voice reached her ears. "Kyoko," it screamed. Kyoko's eyes widened in fear, as she quickened her pace. That was Hikari's voice. She dashed out of the forest, seeing a man chasing after a girl from her village.

The man stopped, swinging what looked like many blades attached together. "Get out of the way Kylkai," Kyoko screamed, running for the girl, hoping she would make it in time. Unsheathing her own sword, Kyoko reflected Jakotsutou just as it was about to hit Kylkai. Jakotsu stared in disbelief at the woman in front of him. She looked so much like InuYasha! She had tiny little white ears on top of her head, streaked with silver. She had flowing silvery hair, and piercing emerald eyes.

Her ears twitched cutely, and Jakotsu got starry-eyed. "InuYasha," he cried, dropping his sword, and hugging her. Kyoko was so surprised, she too dropped her sword. "I knew it was you," Kyoko growled dangerously at him. "I am not this InuYasha person you speak of," she pushed him off, picking her sword back up.

"But you have his doggie-ears," Jakotsu protested, tweaking the furry ears.

An animated vein popped out of her temple. "They're NEKO ears," she yelled, slapping him hard across the face. Jakotsu looked hurt. "You cannot be InuYasha," Kyoko smiled victoriously, and was about to say something, when she was interrupted. "InuYasha is cuter,"

Immediately following his statement, Jakotsu picked up his sword, swinging it at Kyoko. "Get out of here," Kyoko said to Kylkai, before jumping out of the way.

Kyoko took her turn slashing at him, but Jakotsu too dodged the oncoming attack.

"Kyoko," Kyoko heard Hikari's voice, she immediately abandoned the guy, and took off towards the village.

When she arrived, she saw so much destruction. Lifeless bodies littered the ground, and she had to cover her nose from the smell. On the steps to the shrine, was a man sitting there, ordering women from her village to pour HIS sake. Kyoko snarled, causing the guy to look up. "You there, bring me more sake," he commanded.

"Why? To lazy to get it yourself?" Kyoko sneered, causing him to stand up.

"Hmm, you are a strange human, with those doggie-ears, you look like InuYasha," he replied calmly, heaving Banryuu over his shoulder.

Kyoko's eye twitched angrily. That was the second time today that someone said that she had doggie-ears. "They're neko ears," she yelled, charging at him. Sparks flew everywhere as Banryuu connected with Kyoko's sword. "Oh how sweet, you think you can win," Bankotsu taunted, making a crater in the earth as his `baby' [2] slashed for Kyoko, missing by a hair.

"Oh I don't think I can win, I know I can win," she scoffed, jumping on the tip Banryuu and running up the blade. Her claws flexed, as she lacerated his shoulder. "Although, I would expect such an attitude from a petty human," she sneered, jumping of Bankotsu's sword.

Kyoko saw something out of the corner of her eye. As she moved, burly flames shot past her, singeing the very tip of her kimono sleeve. Renkotsu had tried to double team with Bankotsu.

"Oh, now you have to cheat to win eh? Not strong enough to take on little old me are you?" she batted her eyelashes and giggled as he grew angrier with each word that escaped her lips.

"Bankotsu, what should we do with the kid?" Jakotsu stood behind him, Hikari struggling helplessly in his arms.

Without a second thought, Bankotsu said, "Kill it,"

"But Bankotsu," Jakotsu protested, "It's so cute," He then began rubbing his cheek against Hikari's. "Let her go," Kyoko snarled, running at Jakotsu.

Jakotsu smirked evilly, but Kyoko didn't seem to notice. Just as she was about to reach Jakotsu, he stepped out of the way, and behind him, stood Suikotsu. Kyoko's emerald eyes widened slightly, as his claws plunged into her gut. She gasped out in pain as he turned his claws viciously, making the laceration open farther.

As he pulled out his claws, he looked mortified for a moment, like he maybe shouldn't have done that. He tried desperately to get the blood off his claws by shaking his hand, and rubbing it on his kimono. However, a look of pure evil crept across his face, and he licked the blood off. It was like he had a multiple personality, Kyoko had thought.

She dropped to her knees, as a trickle of blood came from the corner of her mouth. "Kyoko," Hikari came running. "Onee-chan," she cried, kneeling down. "Hikari," she whispered, "Run. Run away, I'll be alright. I promise I'll find you, no matter what," she panted, staggering to her feet. "Go," she ordered, giving the child a quick shove.

In a burst of speed, Hikari was out of sight, hoping her big sister would make it. Kyoko looked around. There were seven men surrounding her, each a weird and unique in their own way, except…one was actually cute. `No' she thought angrily. `They massacred my village…love is for the weak,' All at once, they all moved, each taking slow and taunting steps, until one was inches from her face.

"Your mouth is what got you here," he murmured, before throwing her on the ground. "Oh and I suppose I should have LET you taunt me?" she retorted, wobbling back up.

"Shut up wench," one spat. "I don't have time for this," Kyoko breathed, sweat pouring from her brow.

Quickly, she kicked one in the shin; a little midget man, Kyoko didn't know who it was, and dashed off towards the forest, leaving her beloved family and friends behind to suffer…

"Get her," Bankotsu yelled. This one, this woman had that much nerve to talk back to him, yet even the smallest of distractions threw him and his men off…why?

Kyoko lay against a tree, in the shadows. She saw the seven men run past her, as if she wasn't even there. She looked behind at her village. "I'm sorry," she whispered, as a solitary tear rolled down her cheek.

Hikari ran through the forest, tears blinding her vision as she ran for someone…any one who could help her Kyoko. It didn't matter any more that branches scraped her cheeks, or that her beautiful new kimono was all dirty. Kyoko needed her help, and she wasn't about to let her down.

Hikari awoke the next morning, her mouth opening wide, her little fangs glimmering in the rising sun, as she stretched, ready to greet the morning. It took her several minutes before she realized what she was doing. "Kyoko needs my help," she whispered to herself, once again running into the sunrise.

It had been two days since Hikari left Kyoko in the village. She hoped with all her heart that she was still alive. She wiped away her tears. Kyoko had once told her to be brave, and the brave don't cry. As she neared the top of a hill, a nice scent reached her nose. Looking over the flat plain of grass, she noticed a group of people.

Hikari smiled brightly. People! People that could help Kyoko! Kyoko would be so proud of her when Hikari returned with help.

"I smell a demon," InuYasha warned, "And coming fast," However, InuYasha had neglected to say that there was something different about this one's aroma…it smelled salty, like tears. Nevertheless, they all stood, preparing for the oncoming attacker. Down the hill, came a blur of black and white.

Kagome notched her arrow, as she bit her lip. This demon didn't seem like it would pose a threat, it was only as big as Shippo. Miroku grabbed the beads that contained his infamous kanaaza.

Kirara growled, as Sango readied herself. "HELP ME," it cried. Kagome lowered her arrow. Maybe, maybe she was right. Possibly, it could be a demon that needed their help.

Moments later, something had latched itself on InuYasha's leg. "You've gotta help me," she pleaded, not even looking up at anyone. "She's hurt, she needs my help," Kagome bent down to comfort the child as she saw tears running down her cheeks.

"Who needs you're help?" Kagome asked softly. "My Onee-chan…Kyoko," she sniffed, rubbing her red puffy eyes.

"She's been hurt real bad, please, you have to help her," "How do we know you're not sent by Naraku?" InuYasha questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Who's Naraku?" Hikari asked innocently, drying the tears from her face.

"He's a dirty little bastard who…" Kagome covered the child's ears, at InuYasha's vulgar language. "Osuwari," she commanded, making InuYasha's rosary yank him to the ground.

"Where is your sister?" Sango asked gently, bending down beside Kagome. "She's somewhere, I don't know where. I can take you there," she offered brightly, taking Kagome by the hand and leading her away.

Kagome turned to look behind her, but when no one began walking behind her, she scowled. "Come on," she demanded, waving them to her and the young youkai.

Kyoko sat up, her wounds almost completely healed. A low rumbling sound shook the earth, and Kyoko cocked her ears forward. She heard laughing, and celebration. "That bitch has to be dead by now," they said. As the figures passed by an opening in the thick foliage, Kyoko growled. It was them. She could recognize that long black braid of hair anywhere.

Her ears pressed against her head, as a feral growl escaped her lips, piercing the ears of the Shichinin-tai. Ginkotsu stopped suddenly, and Bankotsu whipped his head around, as he narrowed his eyes.

He jumped off the platform of Ginkotsu's body, and slowly walked into the forest. Cautiously, he brushed a tree branch out of his face, and stopped at the pitiful sight that befell him. Kyoko was propped up against a tree trunk, her ears flat against her head as she looked away. "What do you want?" she asked, not even bothering to look at him.

Bankotsu sneered, "So, I guess you're not dead after all, eh bitch?" he taunted. "Get lost," she murmured, rolling her head lazily, looking into his dark eyes. He stared back for a moment. Why wasn't she arrogant and cocky, like she was before?

"What? Do you have a staring problem? Or is it that you find me attractive, after all?" she snorted.

"Hardly," he sneered, lifting his halberd over his shoulder. "You just look so pathetic, lying there," his derision caused her to growl, a smirk cocked up one side of his lips.

Kyoko struggled to her feet, still clutching the wound Suikotsu had inflicted on her.

"Pitiful," he scorned. "At least I'm still alive. If it were you, you'd be dead by now," she snapped.

"Bankotsu," someone called, "Come on," It was Jakotsu's voice. "Go on Bankotsu, you're husband is calling you," she teased. However, Bankotsu didn't take it as a joke. With one swift movement, his hand was around her neck, pinning her against the tree.

"Touchy, touchy," Kyoko scolded playfully. It was really easy to get under his skin, and it was fun.

Bankotsu closed the gap between their faces, and Kyoko only stared back, an overconfident smirk on her lips. "Consider this your warning wench,"

He too stared back, waiting for her to either nod in agreement, or give up in defeat. When neither came, he snarled. "You know, I think I really bug you," she observed.

She thought carefully. "Could it be because you feel threatened? Hmm…possibly, but no. Is it because you think I'm hot? Oohh and you're not getting any?" Kyoko smirked devilishly. "You could've asked," she whispered, slicking the tip of his nose with the tip of her pink tongue.

Bankotsu blinked in surprise. He DEFINATELY hadn't been expecting that. "Wench, I should kill you for your insolence, but no. Slow and painful is better,"

Bankotsu lined Banryuu up with Kyoko's abdomen, and with swift accuracy, tried plunging it into her almost-healed wound. Unfortunately, Kyoko is a demon, and demons are naturally faster.

In one easy movement, she had twisted out of his grasp, and now stood behind him. She slammed him into the tree, her arm pressed against his neck. "Don't ever underestimate me, Bankotsu," she hissed in his ear.

"I never said I underestimated you, but you have underestimated me. Your wounds have reopened, no? This means you thought I was just a petty human, and couldn't inflict damage on you. However, it seems I have forced you to reopen your wounds." She snarled at him, and shoved him closer to the tree, before letting go.

"At least my wounds have started to heal," she murmured, slumping to the ground, her wound clutched, warm goop oozing over her hand.

"What?" he bit, slashing the surrounding trees in anger. "Chill, you need anger management buddy. All I said was that your wounds are still open, and have not even begun to heal yet."

"And you know this HOW?" Banryuu whizzed through the air, catching Kyoko off guard. Inflicting a deep gash in her arm, she stood and slashed at his side. Snarling, he slashed at Kyoko again, except this time, she deflected it with her own kantana.

"Bankotsu lets go," someone yelled with impatience. "This is far from over, wench," he spat, hauling Banryuu over his shoulder. "I'll be looking forward to it," she said seductively, licking her lips, just to piss him off.

He turned around, a look of pure resentment on his face. Boy, when Bankotsu got his hands on her, he was going to rip her apart, limb from limb and let her suffer for her insolence. She didn't know where her place was around people like him, and he would be the person to put her in her place.

Kyoko smirked victoriously. She had once again successfully pissed him off. He turned around sharply as he heard her snicker. As soon as his men were out of this forest, he promised he would never run into this vile woman, EVER again, and he almost never went back on his word. But first things first, he HAD to permanently dispose of her. Her idea of fun was annoying, and made him want to kill her.

He ran at her and held her up against the tree. "Hmm…Bankotsu honey, it's only been 5 seconds since we last seen each other. I thought you wouldn't be tempted by me, and now look, you're practically on top of me," she batted her eyelashes innocently.

"Your sense of humor is not funny, it is repulsive," he spat. "Ya well, you must like it if you keep coming back," she shot back, looking away from his livid face.

The tension between these two was unbearable, so after 15 minutes, Kyoko finally spoke. "You have perdy eyes," she stated harmlessly. Bankotsu was just about to reply, when he heard voices. "This way Kagome?" "Yep, Hikari said so," It was InuYasha and co.

"Inukoru," Bankotsu murmured, before releasing the collar of her kimono. "That is you're final warning," he said, walking away. Kyoko smiled again. She just couldn't resist. "I'll see you later darling," After that, Kyoko swore she could hear him mutter something incoherent about "Stupid neko and her sense of humor,"

`There is something about him; something weird,' she thought solemnly, as she slumped to the ground. Without her even knowing it, she had reopened her wound, and it hurt like hell. Fatigue over came the youkai, and she let her eyelids droop, falling into a light slumber…

Alrighty, now, remember when there was a [1]? Well, this is why that was there…

[1]~We all know Jakotsu wasn't enjoying the scenery, but merely thinking about InuYasha…o.0

[2]~ Bankotsu also refers to Banryuu (see below) as his baby….>.<

Now, did you notice weird words in my story? Well, here's what they mean:

~Shichinin-tai = Seven Person Team

~Sake = Japanese Rice Wine

~Kyoko = Heart

~Kami-sama = God (the formal way, just `Kami' is god)

~Neko = Cat

~ Jakotsutou = The name of Jakotsu's weapon

~Banryuu = The name of Bankotsu's weapon

~Hikari = Star

~Kazaana = Air void; wind tunnel

~Kantana = Basic Japanese sword

~Inukoru = Dog shit; Dog Face; Dog Breath

~Youkai = Demon

~Onee-chan = Big sister

~Osuwari = Sit (for a dog)

~Rosary = The necklace around InuYasha's neck. (Okay, okay, I know it's not a Japanese word, but still…)