InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Gathering the Pieces ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Miroku watched the demon in front of him as he cleaned the wounds again, the sun setting outside on the second day since the monk had brought the wounded taiyoukai here. Sesshoumaru's eyes were focused on the far wall, and were completely empty, even as the stinging herbs hit open wounds. Miroku was actually coming to find he missed seeing the malicious hate in Sesshoumaru's eyes; this empty, unfeeling, defeated look was far scarier.

He'd tried several times to engage the dog demon in conversation, or at least get him to speak. But so far, the only thing that had gotten a reaction out of him was when he brought up Rin, and he did NOT want to go through that ordeal again.

"So... can you not bring the child back with your Tenseiga, Sesshoumaru?" A flinch ran through the demon's body at those words, and he bolted up, sitting up straight as his hand lashed out and clutched onto the poor houshi's throat, shocking the monk as his old strength seemed to have returned, pure hate and malice in his eyes.

"Do you find me such a fool that I would not have done so if I could? The Tenseiga is broken, I cannot bring her back with it. Now, if you're going to insist wasting your time trying to heal me, then know this. You are forbidden to speak of her. I do not want your vile voice bringing her up and staining what memories I have left of her. Understood?" Sesshoumaru's voice held such steel and acid, that the monk went pale and nodded as best he could with the hand squeezing his windpipe.

Sesshoumaru had collapsed the moment he'd let go, exhausted. He'd managed to stay conscious, but hadn't moved again from that moment on, his eyes never leaving the wall. Miroku didn't have the courage to try and talk to him again. His throat had already bruise, and sores were showing where a hint of acid had leaked out of the elder inuyoukai brother's claws.

~The Next Morning~

Sesshoumaru sat on the floor of the small room, his hand touching his still-red cheek for a moment before he dropped it, still staring at the floor in depression. Stupid monk prying into my affairs...Why is it any of his concern if I choose to die? He thought bitterly, remembering what had happened earlier this morning.

Sesshoumaru layed on his stomach as the salve on his bare back worked on the wounds, his eyes focused on the floor. Miroku had gone off somewhere, probably to go get more food that the former lord would just ignore. Why was this human bothering to help him? Sesshomaru had tried to KILL him! Many times! If the idiotic human had even a slight amount of sense, he would kill the youkai now! Because if the sympathetic monk managed to heal him, Sesshoumaru intended to see just how far you can turn a human's head around before the neck snaps.

Letting out a sigh, he paused as his eyes caught sight of something hidden away inside the robes the monk had left behind. Reaching inside the clothing, Sesshoumaru pulled out a dagger. His hands began to tremble as his mind began to race. *Rin...*

Acting quickly, before the monk returned, he grabbed hold of the dagger laying in the cloth, pulling himself to his knees, lifted the dagger to where his pulse was pounding at his throat, then froze as the door slid open, and Miroku stepped in.

Miroku had practically blown up at Sesshoumaru, and had actually slapped him, stunning the taiyoukai, grumbling about how he was wasting his time and efforts for the past three days if all he was going to do was slit his throat. Sesshoumaru had silenced the monk with one question.

"Why do you care if I die?" Miroku froze, looking up at the demon.

"What?" Sesshoumaru frowned slightly.

"Why do you care if I die?" Miroku remained quiet for at least five minutes, trying to think of an answer himself.

"...I guess because if you were to die, I'd be alone again, and after growing used to being with the others, I prefer not to be on my own. " He then looked up at Sesshoumaru. "Why do you wantto die?" Sesshoumaru frowned, suddenly growing defensive.

"It is none of your concern why I wish to die. I never asked for you to help, nor do I actually want your help. So I'm asking you, to leave me alone." Miroku raised an eyebrow.

"And what are you to do if I decide to stay and help you anyway? It's not as if you're in any shape to stop me."

After making sure the taiyoukai was laying still once more, the monk had removed any and all sharp objects, taking them with him as he left. So now the former lord was alone again, lost in his thoughts once more, which, not surprisingly, were still focused around Rin.

A day after the suicide attempt on the demon's part, Miroku found himself in the village's market place, looking through the clothing they had to offer. He hadn't realized the taiyoukai was so bent on leaving this world. I also have yet to realize exactly why I'm helping Sesshoumaru in the first place... He reminded himself as he picked up a black and white outfit, looking it over. He's made it clear he doesn't want my help; I'm not getting anything in return...

There was a small voice nagging at him in the back of his head, telling him that he helped the silver warlord in the hopes that he'd grow to trust the human, but Miroku brushed that away; Again, it wouldn't be healthy to fall in love with a demon. Kikyo had proven that to them all many times over.

Once more, the sad state he'd found the demon in flashed through his memory, and he grimaced at the sight. "Then I'm helping him because deep down, I know I'm doing the right thing?" He pondered then laughed. "Sure. Once he's fully healed, he probably thank me by removing my head." Ifhe fully heals... was the tailing thought as he paid for the outfit and headed back to the hut Sesshuomaru was in.

The taiyoukai cracked open an eye, glancing over at the monk as he kneeled down beside him. "Hey. Your outfit's been a bit... ruined, so I got you a new one. If it doesn't fit, I can trade it in for a different size." Miroku frowned when the demon glared at him and merely rolled over. "So this is it, huh? You're really going to do this to her?"

He knew he'd gotten the youkai's attention because Sesshoumaru had stopped breathing for a moment. "That child loved you to the ends of the earth; do you think she'd want to see you in this state, with one foot in the grave?" He demanded quietly, standing. "You claim to love that girl? Prove it. I understand that you're hurting beyond comprehension; I know how it feels to lose a loved one. But if all you're going to do is let yourself rot away, then all you're doing is disappointing the one you lost." Were the last words he hissed out before stomping outside.

Once halfway across the village, Miroku managed to calm down, staring at his shaking hands. Never had he felt so angry and frustrated, not even with Inu Yasha. He knew that the demon lord was hurting, and he would not be able to get over this for a very long time, but to just sit there and wallow in self pity was just downright... sad.

He frowned slightly. "Well, that's it, I quit." He started towards the hut again. "I have tried and tried, and he just won't let me help him." Scowling, ready to launch into a speech about being under-appreciated, he stepped inside, and froze.

Sesshoumaru was sitting up, wearing the black and white kimono he'd gotten him, picking at the food the monk had set there a while ago. He paused, then looked up at the speechless Miroku, scowled, and looked away.

"I got hungry, alright? Don't read too much into it." Miroku blinked, then smiled weakly, nodding.

"Alright..." He tilted his head, watching as the kimono fell slightly to reveal the bandages were slowly becoming stained with blood. "Hey, do you need some help changing those?" He asked, kneeling beside the lord. Sesshoumaru frowned, shaking his head and pulling down the upper part of the kimono.

"I can..." He trailed off, wincing as pain shot through his back, and sighed, slumping slightly in defeat. "Yes..." he muttered dejectedly. Miroku laughed quietly, earning him a dark scowl from the demon.

"Don't feel bad. It'll be a while before you're 100% again. Even for a demon, you were pretty bad off..." He assured Sesshoumaru, beginning to pull away the dirty gauze. He tried to be gentle, as most of the fabric had dried to the wounds, but he couldn't help causing a few flinches from the dog demon every now and then.

Miroku let out a frustrated sigh as he saw the wounds on the taiyoukai's back had become infected once again. "I'm going to have to clean these. It's going to sting rather badly; I hope you don't mind." Sesshoumaru scowled slightly at this.

"I am not some pathetic human who complains at the slightest hint of pain." He muttered, his eyes closed in indignation. Miroku raised an eyebrow.

"If you say so..." He warned before pressing the herb soaked cloth to the open wounds on Sesshoumaru's back. The demon lord stiffened, his eyes flying open as pain lanced through his back, a quiet curse breaking free. "I told you-"


"Be. Quiet." He hissed out, his shoulders trembling from the effort to hold in the yelps. Miroku let it slide, concentrating on cleaning out the wounds, trying his best to stave off the infection. Luckily, he'd caught it before it had gotten too serious.

After a while, he started rewrapping all the injuries, pleased to see that Sesshoumaru was still sitting up. Yes, he was still bitter and distant, yes he still refused to talk to Miroku unless nessecary, but he was eating and remaining up on his own. *I guess I should have tried yelling at him from the start...* was all the monk could think as he stepped outside again into the early afternoon sun. He should have known playing on the demon's pride would have gotten him a lot farther. *Heh, and it only took three days...*

Later on in the afternoon, Miroku stepped into the hut to find Sesshoumaru had fallen asleep. the slight smile that had formed at this quickly faded as he saw the painwracked expression on the youkai's face, and his forhead was beading with sweat.

Setting down the food he'd brought with him, Miroku grabbed a cloth, cleaning off the sweat from the demon. The second the fabric came into contact with the taiyoukai's flesh, he snapped awake with a gasp, startling the monk. Sesshoumaru's eyes held a confused and dazed shine as they looked around the room, then landed on the monk. He didn't say anything to the human, but his heaving chest, ragged breath, and trembling body were proof enough to Miroku that the warlord was truly scared.

Feeling another pang of sympathy, Miroku took a chance and layed his hand gently on Sesshoumaru's shoulder.

"You have got to calm down, or you'll pass out." He scolded softly, frowning down at the shaking demon.

"I'm... fine..." The quiet yet defiant answer came, as Sesshoumaru forced himself to sit up, his arms trembling. Letting out a sigh, the monk moved in behind the still shaking demon, taking hold of his arms and carefully pulling him back to lay against his chest, his arms laying protectively around the inuyoukai. Sesshoumaru's entire body stiffened at this. "Let me go."

"Not until you calm down." Miroku contradicted, leaning his chin gently atop the warlord's head. Sesshoumaru's eyes moved to look at the arms wrapped around him. This human was constantly defying him... he had more courage then he'd originally gave him. After a while, he began to relax against his will, and had soon fallen asleep in the monk's embrace.

Glancing down at the sleeping demon in front of him, Miroku smiled weakly. There was no denying it now; He had it badly for the demon. *Maybe, if I'm nice enough to him from now on, he'll be gentle when he rips me to pieces after he's healed...* was the monk's cynical thoughts.

~~~~

Kagome pulled herself up over the edge of the well with a sigh of relief; She really needed to put a ladder in here. Climbing the vines got tiring. Looking around as she stood on the grass in the Feudal Era, the miko spotted her friends a ways off. A relieved smile on her face as she saw they were all well, she headed over, but stopped halfway. Miroku wasn't there.

~

"For the last time, I don't know where he is!!" A highly annoyed voice rang over the field. Sango and Shippou just sighed, their eyes closed, eating as Kagome and Inu Yasha argued feet away. "I'm not his damn babysitter! Why would I know where he's gone?!"

"Because you're his friend!" The equally annoyed Kagome snapped back. Inu Yasha folded his arms with a huff, turning away.

"He's probably off womanizing again. He'll drag his sorry hide here when he'd done."

"Remember what happened last time he went off on his own with a woman? He was attacked! The Wind Tunnel grew!"

"In case you've forgotten, we've beaten Naraku! The Wind Tunnel's gone! Miroku can take care of himself!" Kagome fumed.

"So yo're not worried?!"

"And you are? Miroku's fine, now did you bring raman or not?" The miko fisted her hands.

"SIT!!" Sango and Shippou both flinched as the hanyou was driven deep into the ground. "I should have known a mangy dog like you'd be more worried about his own gut then his friend." She muttered as she sat down beside Sango, arms folded and eyes closed. Inu Yasha just twitched.

~~~~

Miroku sat beside the silent demon, drinking his tea as Sesshoumaru picked at the food again. The taiyoukai was slowly beginning to gain his color again, and he was able to sit up for a little bit longer now. However, he was still terribly thin, and needed eat more often, or he'd fall sick once more.

Yet the monk knew better then to push him; that'd just annoy the demon and put him on a hunger strike. He knew because it had already happened. Miroku had ended up wearing the food.

"Sesshoumaru?" A quiet sound signaled the taiyoukai was listening. "If Inu Yasha shows up, what will you do? are you still going to allow him to kill you?" A slight frown crossed Sesshoumaru's face.

"What concern is that to you?"

"I'm only curious. You know humans and their horrid curiosity streaks." A slight smirk crossed the inuyoukai's face, and Miroku felt pleased that he'd pulled even a small, sarcastic smile out of him.

"I'm not entirely sure myself anymore..." The monk blinked in surprise at this, looking back to his tea after a moment.

~~~~

Inu Yasha grumbled as he sat on the back of Kagome's bike, Sango riding on Kirara next to them.

"I still don't see why we have to go find him. He knew we were supposed to meet at the well; if he didn't show, he obviously doesn't want to. Why waste our time?"

"Because he's our friend and he might be in trouble." Was Kagome's answer. The hanyou just folded his arms, muttering under his breath about playing tag with amorous monks.

~

"Yes, we've had a monk come here about four days ago. He had a friend with him. They've been spending time in that hut over there." The three of them all sweatdropped.

"A... a friend?" Kagome stuttered. The old man nodded.

"A lady friend, if my eyes didn't decieve me." Inu Yasha growled darkly.

"I TOLD YOU!! HE'S AT IT AGAIN!!"The hanyou howled, stalking over to the hut. Yanking the screen back, he stormed in, prepared to rip a strip off his friend about ditching them for a woman, and froze at the sight that met him.

Miroku was on his knees, staring up at him, in the middle of rubbing what appeared to be salve on the bare, damaged back of his older brother, or what appeared to be his older brother, since the demon looked to tired and worn out.

So stunned he was at finding his friend apparantly trying to nurse his second largest enemy next to Naraku back to health, Inu Yasha just stared, then did the one thing anyone else would do in this situation: He passed out.

Miroku blinked, staring at the unconscious hanyou, then sighed, closing his eyes.

"This is going to be interesting...."