InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ God, Help This Outcast ❯ God Help This Outcast ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Inuyasha's mother, Koura, paced the wooden floor of the small hut. She was sick and knew she was going to die. But she did not fear for her life she feared for Inuyasha's. With his father and herself both dead, what would become of the poor child of only four months. Koura walked over to the bamboo crib where a small Inuyasha lay bundled in blankets. Even though only an infant, Inuyasha had long silver hair that was gleaming in the moonlight. As she looked down on the sleeping child, she began a silent prayer.
 
*~*I don't know if you can hear me
or if you're even there
I don't know if you
would listen
t
o a human's prayer
Yes, I know I'm just an outcast
I shouldn't speak to you
Still
look at his face and wonder
will he be anoutcast too?*~*
 
She knew that Hanyou were not really accepted in either the human or demon world. This thought left her very unsettled at the thoughts of what they would do to him. He had nowhere to go in the world for comfort. This child was going to be teased and mocked and there was nothing Koura could do about it. She shook these unpleasant thoughts from her head and continued her prayer silently. She finished her prayer and drifted into an uneasy sleep.
 
*~*God help thisoutcast
Help him from birth
Show him the mercy
He won't find on earth
He'll be lost and forgotten
He'll look to you still
God help this outcast
Or nobody will *
~*
Three years passed and Koura watched Inuyasha grow into a blossoming young boy full of curiosity and excitement. One day she let him play in the village and as she watched him run off she prayed silently to herself.
*~*I ask for nothing
I can get by
But my son is so much
Less lucky than I
God help this outcast
When he is poor and down trod
I thought we all were
The children of God
*~*
Hours after she had let Inuyasha scamper off into the village, Koura was at home cooking stew for his return. All of a sudden, a tear-stained faced child burst through the bamboo door of the hut. He ran to his mother and threw his arms around her legs. She kneeled down and pulled him into a soft embrace.
“What's wrong, Koibito?” Koura asked.
“They called me awful names and took my ball!” Inuyasha wailed into his mother's shoulder.
“What did they call you sweetie?” Koura implored.
They called me a…a…Half-breed” he said quietly, tears still falling down his cheeks. The last word hit her like an arrow into the heart. Half-breed
Koura held her child close and soothed him until he fell asleep. She went to the corner and laid him on his futon. Then, she kneeled beside it and prayed for her son.
 
*~*I don't know if there's a reason
Why some are blessed, some not
Why the few you seem to favor
they taunt us, Mock us
Try not to see us*~*
Two more years passed and Inuyasha turned into a hard-headed five-year-old with a nothing-can-hurt-me attitude. Koura had entrusted Totosai, Inuyasha's father's dear old friend who made the Tetsaigu, a sword Inuyasha would one day inherit. Totosai would also become Inuyasha's godfather if Koura were to die. Koura became sicker everyday until she was bed ridden and couldn't hardly move. Inuyasha never left her side. Koura was just minutes away from her death.
“Inuyasha, I love you no matter what you are. Never forget that…” Koura told her son. Inuyasha began to cry as he watched his mother's breath become shallower. With her last thoughts she said a silent prayer.
 
*~*God help this outcast
He's tattered and torn
And seeking an answer
to why he was born
Winds of misfortune
Have blown him about
You made this outcast
Don't cast him out
He was poor and unlucky
Born weak and odd
I thought that he was
A Child of God
*~*
 
Koura finished her prayer just as her breathing stopped and her heart ceased to beat. Inuyasha hugged his mother's body and cried. Then he sat up and bellowed into the nothingness of the night.