InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Going Against the Flow ❯ Who? ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the other characters thought up by Rumiko Takahashi. In fact, I don't own anything worthwhile. THERE!

A/N: Okay, I had a really hard time finding a suitable title for this story. ^.~ Write more non-crossover stuff, PLEASE!

Okay, on with the story!

~*~Against the Flow

Chapter 1

Who?!

~*~
"Okay, so who am I supposed to watch out for?!"

"Kagome, you are so hopeless..."

"Why do I have to watch out for any one at all?"

"Because... well... because you're not exactly the most liked person in the world. And this one is... so you've got to watch what you say around him."

"Okay, okay... so if I see a particularly regal-looking person I stay out of their way and act all calm and docile?"

"Yep, that's about right." Unfortunately for Sango, she'd been joking.

Kagome had had it with all of the precautions that she had to take... she went to high school for Kami's sake! She shouldn't have to watch what she said, or be nice to people to keep up appearances. It was as if she was some major pop star with paparazzi following her everywhere she went! But instead of the paparazzi the whole school was buzzing with senseless newspaper editors who thought that they were all that.

"But it's not fair, Sango! I'm anything but a person who should get followed around everywhere... I have no sense of gossip and everyone hates me."

"No they don't, Kagome..." But Sango didn't look like she believed it herself.

Kagome sighed. "Come on, Sango, you can be honest with me. We're best friends, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah... forgive me if I wanted to spare your feelings!" She still looked sheepish however. "So I'm your only friend, it doesn't really matter, and you can have a fresh, clear slate when you get into university. Am I right?"

"I guess..." Kagome felt tears spring in her eyes, "Why can't people just not notice me?! Instead, they hate me AND they have to add insult to injury... day after day."

"Oh, come on! You're exaggerating."

"You know I'm not..."

"If only you hadn't-."

"Shut. Up."

Kagome opened Sango's bedroom door and sprinted out and down the stairs, narrowly missing Sango's little brother Kohaku as she flung herself out of the front door.

She could remember that fateful day as if it were yesterday...

~*~the most popular ninth grader, walked up the school steps, feeling brighter than usual. It was April Fools Day and she had planned the most wonderful prank ever (in her eyes). It was set in the girls' bathroom and was meant to duck who ever was in one of the stalls in a toilet.

'I am ingenious!' she thought cockily to herself. 'Everyone's going to love me even more than they already do!'

But what she hadn't planned on was that her best friend, equally as popular as her, and her partner and accomplice in crime was in one of the stalls at the moment... setting up a prank of her own. It was designed to flush a toilet when someone sat down on a seat.

Word had gotten to her that Kagome was *planning* on setting up a prank of her own, so being the generous best friend that she was, she wanted to do it before she lost the chance. Kagome's setup was so cleverly crafted and concealed that Kikyo did not notice it.

Of course when she set to work on her prank she was heavily dunked into the toilet that she had been working on. AND, as an added bonus, she had triggered her own trick. And her hair and face was twisted painfully about. Of course she knew it was Kagome's work... she gave a loud, horrible shriek and, secretly hating Kagome in the first place, decided to end Kagome's reign as Queen of Popularity.

She drew herself out of the toilet that she had been pulled into, and she resigned herself to wringing out her clothes and putting on her back-up set of makeup.. She wondered why she had even bothered to tamper with a disgusting toilet anyway, and haughtily stood to her full height.

Kagome never knew what hit her when people from the school newspaper swarmed around her with flashing cameras and declared her the most hated girl in the whole school. She fainted. Only to find a still hot-off-the- press bundle of newspapers being pushed at her face. The bold headlines stated: TWO QUEENS BECOME ONE QUEEN AS THE PLIGHT OF KIKYO AND THE BETRAYAL OF KAGOME COME INTO FOCUS. Needless to say, Kagome was devastated and from hence on, whenever anyone looked upon her, reverence was replaced with disdain on their cold, scornful and sometimes altogether sneering faces.
was never the same again...

"Kagome, dinner's waiting!"

"Kagome, hurry up! I'm starving and mom won't let us eat without you!"

"Kagome, I'm going to have to agree with your brother Souta on this one!"

Dear Diary, calls of mom, Souta and grandpa are starting to get on my nerves. I am NOT hungry, and them insisting that THEY are is very aggravating. Can't they see that my life is already over and that I shouldn't bother eating?! It's September... school's tomorrow... and all Sango can worry about is me being nice to some stuck-up person whose first day is tomorrow?! How can everyone think that they're popular if they've only seen their picture? What is wrong with everyone? Since my little incident with that lousy excuse for a priestess-in-training everything's been going all screwy and warped! Doesn't anyone else notice this?! Has the whole world gone insane?! Or more importantly, have I gone insane?!

"KAGOME! GET YOUR FILTHY BUTT DOWN HERE!"

"Souta, calm down and stop being rude to your sister. You have to repect your elders and others too."

"Especially your elders!" Grandpa cut in strongly.

"That's right!"

"This whole house wreaks of ageism, right Souta?"

"Uh huh." Souta said humourlessly, "Finally, we can get down to business."

'I wish I could get back to mine,' Kagome thought unhappily as she sat down.

It was short because I wrote this a while ago on ff.net, 'kay? How did you like my first chapter? Please give feedback!