InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Haishin: A promise to meet again ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Haishin: A promise to meet again

Disclaimer: Alas I do not own Inu Yasha, if I did, I wouldn't be graduated from Highschool, still living at home and in a very boring part time job x.x, living in this tiny little town...I'd be rich, I'd be a genius! I'd be famous! I'd be...well I guess I'd be Rumiko Takahashi, wouldn't I?

Authors Notes:

This is for those of you who may or may not remember me, I've revamped this fic, and am still currently working on it as well, however, my stories have risen in number, as I've currently got 8 (yes, 8 x.x) stories under my belt that I'm working on. I'll post what I have, and that'll have to suffice. I can't promise anything, because my muses are evil to me. Kat thinks she owns the world, and she's refusing to stay in one damn spot long enough for me work on a story over one or two chapters. *pouts*

Leaves for a very cliffhangerish ending to my stories, and leaves many people upset with me, including my best friend and fellow authoress liz.

Anyways, the story is, for the most part, Inuyasha's 1st person POV.

I've come to be very attached to that way of writing, and I want you guys to tell me how I'm doing at it. I'd appreciate it.


Yup.. *nods*

On with the story!

^*^*^*^

kasuka na hikari ni yobi samasarete
hakanai yume no kioku to kiesou na koe
toozakaru kako no zawameki wa
ima de wa mienai ano keshiki o utsushidashite yuku...
A faint light calls me awake
The memory of a transient dream and a vanishing voice
Projecting that scene of the commotion
Of a receding past that's now lost...

~ Camui Gackt - A promise to meet again ~Story~

^*^*^*^

The first thing I registered upon opening my eyes, was the very present, and heavily throbbing pain in the back of my head. It hurt just to blink, and every little sound seemed about ten times as loud and bothersome as it should be. What was happening, and for that matter, where was I?

"Mother?" I muttered softly, a dull hope in my voice as I lifted my head, with effort, and looked around.

My range of sight varied from time to time, but from what I could see, and smell for that matter, it was nothing but trees, brush, various herbs, and dirt; a lot of dirt.

Suddenly, like a sharp slap, everything centered out, and I found myself back on the ground with a new sensation, fear. More like curious uncertainty, but the same description applies.

The last thing I remember was my mother telling me to run, and myself screaming for her to follow me. I can carry you mother, come with me! Please still echoed loudly in my ears.

Maybe, that screaming, maybe it wasn't mine…I couldn't be sure. I could still picture the scene in my head. The smell of sulfur lingered persistently on my senses. There were so many voices I could hear, scents…emotions. Everything was meshing together and giving me a very big headache.


Closing my eyes I decided to lay there for a few moments, maybe I could clear my head, and actually understand my situation.


Yes, rest is always welcome...except when you're being watched.

Snapping my head up my eyes dart around the clearing quickly as I hopped quickly into a defensive crouch. The scent was unfamiliar, in a way, and they weren't too far away. I couldn't place them in any category…so I waited…

Suddenly, the almost unnoticeable trace of footsteps halted and the darkening forest I stood in fell silent.

Growling slightly (for all the good that did) I narrowed my eyes and looked around. "Whoever you are, show yourself and stop spying on me!" I shouted, voice hoarse from lack of recent use and I cringed inwardly. Some warrior I made…I can't even order right! Baka.

Nothing changed, there was no great revelation, a person springing out, attacking me, or pleading for their lives. No, all remained silent in the infuriating forest. And it was then I found myself wondering if my senses were playing tricks on me, but before I could consider internal revolt, the bushes shifted and another, taller boy, stepped out.

Stepping back slightly my eyes widened fractionally, I had been right?

"Who are you." I demanded when he gave no intentions of introducing himself.

He remained silent and stared me, cool amaranthine eyes piercing my own amber ones, making me shift uncomfortably, like he knew something about me that not even I knew.

And now I felt like a fool. Compared to my torn, bloodied and smudged red kimono, he looked immaculate. Wearing an outfit that immediately placed him with the wolf-Youkai pack, only in a shade of blood red that was almost nerve-wracking. Also, at his side, on a black belt around his waist, was a hilt to a katana. From what I could see, his blackish hair fell down to a little below his shoulders, and was pulled back into a tight ponytail, topped off with the familiar headband that seemed to have odd designs in silver on it...


"Who are you." I repeated my previous demand and he blinked, and then did the most infuriating thing in the world, he smirked.


My ears twitched and my whole body went slack. He smirked at me! Why the rude little...

"What's with the ears?" he asked suddenly, a hint of curious amusement in his voice.

Growling slightly I glared and clenched my fists. "I asked you a question first, so you should answer ME." I snapped and crossed my arms; ignoring the immediate discomfort it brought and kept my own cool disposition.


Or so I thought-"You're a hanyou aren't you?" he asked curiously and stepped closer, as if this new revelation made him unafraid (not, that he was in the first place…). "What's your name?"

"Back off jerk!" I ordered, but when he got into my comfort zone, backed up myself.


"Relax youdou," he muttered and stepped closer, that annoying smirk on his face, as I backed into a tree and grumbled, "I was just passing through, I smelled blood. I just want to see something alright?" he said gently and lifted a hand to my face.

Slapping it away roughly I growled at him. "Leave me alone! And I am not a little child!" I snapped, pouting at the inferior title.


"How old are you?" he asked backing up a step and tilting his head to the side curiously.


Caught off-guard I answered, "I'm going on 6 in a few years," automatically before starting and returning my glare, which was shrugged off.

"What happened to you, and what's you're name?"

"How old are you?" I asked ignoring his question.

"Almost 9, now what happened to you, get into a fight or something?" he asked curiously and this time, grabbed my wrist in a quick movement before I could slap it away, and brought the other up to touch a very sore spot on my forehead. As soon as his cool fingers touched me, a sharp twinge of pain sliced through my skin and I hissed in pain.

"You're bleeding you know." He commented and rubbed his hand on his side shaking his head.

"Knock it off, it's nothing! None of your business!" I glared and shoved him away, tensing and then leaping over his head, to land unsteadily a few feet away from him.


Unconsciously I lifted a hand to the now throbbing area of my forehead and pressed down, ignoring the shot of pain that hit me and pulled back after a moment, examining the blood trickling down my hand slowly. Sighing, I wipe the sticky crimson liquid off on my hakama and creased my eyebrows in concentration


Now, if only I could remember what happened.
I mused to myself and shook my head, backing up again and stumbling.

"You know, you probably shouldn't be up. You look like you were in one helluva fight." He commented rubbing the back of his head softly and I snorted in annoyance.

"Well aren't you the obz--observen-ent one." I'd heard one of the village humans say that once; I think I said it right, but at his snort of amusement, wasn't too sure.


"Why don't you come back to the den with me. I could have mother fix you up and you could take haven there. These woods are not as forgiving as they like you to believe." He offered with a glint of honest concern in his otherwise amused gaze.

Something in that comment, the offer of help, hit a nerve and my back went rigid.

Eyes narrowing I felt a set of defenses raised, I wasn't aware ever existed, as I backed away from him. "Take me back to your den huh? For what, so you can all laugh at me?"


"What?"

"I know what you're on about Ookami Youkai! Laugh at the little Inu Hanyou. I don't think so!" I spat and continued my backward retreat, stones cutting into my already injured bare feet as I went, "Just leave me alone you hear? I don't need your sympathy or medication anymore than I need your fake kindness!" I snapped and then turned around and stormed away.

"Nobody laughs at Inuyasha and gets away with it." I muttered to myself. Apparently, loud enough for him to hear…

"Inuyasha!" he called hesitantly.


My movements halted and I turned, looking at him stunned. "What?"

Once again he remained silent so I snorted and turned around, feeling the tensing of my muscles as I prepared to leap into the trees. That is, if I still could.


"Oi, youdou, the names Iki…Ookami Iki." he called and I faltered in my leap momentarily before continuing my bound and disappearing into the tree.

~*~

Snapping my eyes open I look around in the darkness.

"Nande..." I mutter groggily as a soft breeze rustled the leaves over head, waking me up from my trance. The ever-present darkness was shattered by rays of moonlight pouring down through the partially open canopy above. Ears twitching as I finally came completely out of my daze I listened intently to nothing and everything at once.


A chilled feeling of unease slipped into my stomach as I attempted to remember the dream I'd been having, but I couldn't quite place it, it was slipping away too fast for me to be able to grasp. So I settled for a contemptuous glare up at the moon and scowled. "Feh, couldn't have let me wake up a little later?" I muttered and sprawled out on the branch, looking down at the darkened campsite below, arms hanging lazily at my side. My eyes trailed over the sleeping group below, pausing on each member individually…

Miroku was in a lighter state of sleep, his breathing only slightly heavier than when awake as he lay a few feet away from a shifting Sango. Regardless of his lecherous actions, I will admit he's adequate in battle.

Sango, who, shifting in her sleep, was about a stage away from consciousness, is also a fine fighter, if a little over zealous. One noise and I'm sure she'd be awake and ready to fight in a flash.

Somewhere under the folds of Kagome's sleeping bag the kit slept, though pretty worthless in a fight, he will come through in a pinch, I know he's about in as deep a sleep as Kagome…

Kagome… who could sleep through hell freezing over. I've been to her time, she's in such a deep state of sleep, it takes quite a lot to wake her up. I can tell by her slow even breaths that she's more than asleep. Dreaming perhaps?

Shaking these thoughts from my mind I lift my gaze to the dark forest in front of and around us. All senses in sharp condition, and nothing, save for the wind and various nighttime creatures was even remotely in motion. Good. Awake I may be, but ready for a fight I am not.


"Kuso." I cursed bitterly, very annoyed at the fact that my mind had this time to wander. "Fine, I'll sit here till dawn."


Not like I was looking forward to a full nights rest anyways.
I thought miserably to myself, and I swear, I could hear the soft breeze that brushed the leaves above me snicker, as an icy cold chill coursed through my body.

That, in itself, should have been my first warning.

^*^*^*^

There's something to be said about Prologues, they say "Welcome to my story, enjoy the ride" or "thanks for checking it out, emergancy exits are on the left..." Occasionally there's a hook to it that drags you back if you leave. Or maybe even a flash ending that says "Gah! How the heck could it end there."

Unfortunately, mine is none of the above. Just a normal everyday prologue....maybe a little less than average, but I'm doing my best, and you can't blame me for that. Well you could. Heck you could flame me to the underworld and back, I'd bring a tee-shirt and mug.

But anyways, I hope you at least partially enjoyed this little opener for the story, please proceed to chapter 1 and all following chapters for further details.

Thank you and have a nice day.