InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Always Love You ❯ Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hey! This is Kitten Kisses again! ^-^ Here's chapter two! I love lots of reviews, and if you can think of a better summary, plz let me know- by e-mail or review! I'd really appreciate it! This fic is dedicated to the ppl who read and reviewed my story After The Rain! A big thank you to Showndra Ridge, Utter-Innocence, Raspk Fog, Veggies-Girl04, Brocktree Zero, and Bunny! (It's at ff.net.)


Oh, and when you review, if you plz, could you rate the story so far on a scale on 1-10? Decimals included. Beware FLAMERS! I AM ARMED W/ A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!

PLEASE ENJOY THIS CHAPPIE! I'VE GOT THE 3RD ALL WRITTEN, BUT I HAVE YET TO TYPE IT!!! ^-^ B-)

Disclaimer: I don't own nothin'

Kagome was dreaming, at least, she thought she was. Okay then, so she wasn't sure. She opened her eyes, and saw that a thick fog surrounded her. It swirled around her feet, and legs .. curling up her body, and floating around her head. Yawning, she stretched, reaching her arms out as far as they could go; feeling the cold mist on the tips of her fingers, making them tingle. She slowly stood up, looking around her for anything at all. But the only thing that she was able to see was the thick, cool mist swirling and dancing to and fro. She started to walk through the misty fog, and, not being able to see more than a few inches at a time, had to move slowly. Groping her way through the dark night, she started to get tired. She again started to move through the darkness, though noticeably slower. Moving so slow was tiring, unbelievably. Sighing, she sat down on the ground, shifting around a bit to get comfortable. It didn't work well, though. After she had sat down, she noticed dark shadows moving about in the mist that enveloped her. Whipping around, she saw that they were everywhere, closing in on her, and therefore blocking any possible escape route. Shivering slightly, she noticed how cold it was getting .. was it that cold five minutes ago? As the shadows crept closer, the air became chill, and a brisk wind swept up, only making her shivering worse. It was so cold now; she thought that she was going to die from shaking so hard. Squeezing her eyes shut tight, she tried to block out the creepy shadows, the wind, the foggy mist .. everything .. Opening her eyes again she immediately wished that she hadn't. The shadows were in a ring around her, preventing her from going anywhere. And as the cold got colder, and the shadows became darker, she wondered vaguely in the back of her mind, what she was supposed to do.

Inuyasha was eating the ramen that Sango had given him, wishing that it had been Kagome that had made it. It wasn't that it wasn't good, because it was. It could possibly be that when Kagome made it, it tasted better. He was finished with it in a few minutes, and he left the bowl where it was, moving to the corner of the room where Kagome was sleeping. He sat down next to her, mumbling something about it being time to go to sleep.

Sango looked out of the window, and realized how dark it was already. Yes, she decided, it was time to go to sleep. Going up to Shippou, who was sleeping curled around Kagome's feet, she watched Inuyasha. He did appear to be soundly sleeping, but Sango wasn't positive that he was actually asleep. He'd feigned sleep before, to get up and keep watch after everyone else was asleep. She pried Shippou off of Kagome's feet, and free of the weight, Kagome promptly rolled over. Shippou mumbled in his sleep and clung to Sango, wrapping his tiny hands around her neck. With Shippou in her arms, Sango went to the opposite side of the room. Curling up with Shippou in her arms, she yawned, pulling a blanket over her head. Miroku came towards her, as if to sleep beside her. One glare was all he needed to go and sleep by himself on his own side of the room. But he walked towards Kagome and Inuyasha.

"Miroku .." she warned him.

He sighed, sitting on the floor all by himself. Nobody trusted him .. Well, what could blame them? Maybe it was time for a change ..

Kagome rolling around on the floor awakened Inuyasha. How she had gotten where she was, he didn't know. He watched her roll back and forth, wondering why she couldn't just stay still. Rolling towards him one more time, her hand ended up on his knee. He looked at it for a moment before picking it up, blushing. As soon as his hand touched hers, he almost dropped it. It was as cold as ice! And he'd thought that it was cold earlier. His large hand completely enveloped her small, cold one. He squeezed her hand gently, looking at her face. She was shaking violently, her teeth chattering slightly, and sweat was pooled on her forehead. He put his free hand's palm on her forehead, and jerked it right back. "That can't be normal!" he thought. Her forehead was burning hot. Sighing, he set her hand back on his knee, and after shuffling around a bit, managed to remove his haori. Careful not to wake her, he draped his large clothing over he smaller frame, making sure that her head was poking out from the top. She sighed in her sleep, twisting around one last time to end up in his lap (Awww . not). He wrapped his haori snugly around her, careful to cover her legs to help keep them warm. Then, blushing, he wrapped his arms around her waist, letting her snuggle into his warmth. She was freezing cold, but he didn't care. His primary concern was to keep her as warm as possible.

As the shadows crept closer, Kagome shrunk into a ball, and stated to shake. It was cold, she was going to die, and there was nothing she could do about it. He teeth started chattering, the mist enveloping her, making her so cold, she thought she would never warm up. Just then, she felt a warmth beside her. Rolling over, she crept closer to the warmth. She twisted around, and landed in a place of bliss. Where she was now, she seemed to be in the heart of the warmth. She relished in the warmth for a while, enjoying being able to feel her fingers again. And just when she thought she couldn't get any warmer, the warmth spread to her legs, which she previously couldn't feel. Snuggling into the warmth, she sighed. All of this heat made her drowsy, and the shadows and mist slowly evaporated, leaving a black nothingness in their wake.

Shippou heard movement from the safe retreat of Sango's arms. Peeking out, he saw Kagome in Inuyasha's lap, and Inuyasha smiling tenderly as he wrapped his haori around her body. He watched as Inuyasha let Kagome snuggle into his warmth, and then as he wrapped his arms around her waist. Closing his eyes, Shippou smiled. "Finally!" he thought, "Inuyasha's being nice to Kagome." Hearing a sigh, he glanced up in time to see Inuyasha position himself against the wall with Kagome still in his lap. Inuyasha smiled at her softly before settling back, and closing his eyes. Shippou's smile turned to a frown as he glanced at Kagome's face. It was so white, he could swear it was the same color as Inuyasha's hair. He fervently hoped that she would be alright come morning. Snuggling back into Sango's arms, he fell asleep.

Miroku awoke sometime in the middle of the night, mostly because he had rolled over on his arm, which had fallen asleep. It tingled, and he flexed it back and forth, until it woke up. Glancing over in Inuyasha's direction, he saw that Kagome was sleeping soundly in the Hanyou's lap. He smiled slightly, shifting his gaze to where Sango lay. The moonlight streaming through the window illuminated her face, making it glow softly. "She looks so peaceful sleeping like that," he thought, "Like she's never had a bad day in her life." He took a final glance back at Sango, memorizing her beautiful features before turning over and sighing contentedly, falling asleep once again.

Sango awoke shortly after Miroku had fallen back asleep. Glancing at Inuyasha and Kagome, she smiled sadly. She wished she could be like that with Miroku, but she didn't trust him as far as she could throw him. Thinking of him, she looked over at his sleeping form. He was turned towards her, smiling in his sleep. She thought that he looked so cute like that. Half smiling, she fell asleep again, thinking of the handsome (^-^) young man.

Kirara was the first to awaken the next morning. She walked up to Sango and rubbed her furry little head against Sango's hand, purring softly. She licked the hand, looking up to see if Sango would awaken. When Sango opened her eyes, Kirara rubbed her head against Sango's hand once more, before repeating the process with Miroku. She had just awoken him up and was heading towards Inuyasha and Kagome when Sango stopped her.

"No Kirara," Sango told the little fire-cat.

"Meow?" Kirara asked questioningly.

"They need their sleep. Especially Kagome." She told Kirara.

"Me-ow!" Kirara agreed, trotting over to Shippou, who was rubbing his eyes. She wound around his legs, mewing softly.

"Hey, Kirara," he mumbled, bending down to scratch the top of her head.

Kirara mewed softly and purred in response. "Finally, some attention," she thought.

Miroku stuck his head outside to check the temperature. "It's a fine day!" he declared, turning his head to the group, "Let's go outside and eat!"

Shippou happily agreed, dashing out the door as fast as his little feet could carry him. It wasn't very light yet, so he guessed it to be something like 7:00 am. He scampered off to fetch some water.

Miroku waited for Sango and Kirara to exit before shutting the door softy behind him. Kirara jumped on Sango's shoulder mewing at the sky. Miroku and Sango followed her gaze. Miroku smiled. It was beautiful. The orange sun lit the sky pink on the horizon, and purple and blue clouds swirled overhead. He watched them happily, before taking a peek at Sango. Her eyes were wide, and a bright smile lit her face.

"It sure is beautiful!" he commented stepping beside her.

Sango nodded while keeping her eyes on the sky above.

"Just like a certain beautiful young woman!" he added smiling broadly.

Sango blushed happily, but she didn't comment. She liked the monk, but she still didn't trust Miroku not to try any funny business. She turned toward him, and smiled. Now it was Miroku's turn to blush.

Then Shippou ran up with some water. "Let's make breakfast!" he yelled, breaking Miroku and Sango's eyes away from the sky.

"Pretty, ain't it?" he commented.

"Yeah..." Sango and Miroku mumbled simultaneously.

And so, the group of four went about making breakfast preparations.

As her eyes opened, Kagome realized that she could see again. She also realized that she was sitting in someone's lap. She tried to twist around to see who that person was, but she couldn't. Looking down, she understood why. She also found out whose lap she was sitting in. Inuyasha's arms were wrapped snugly around her waist, and she was wrapped up in his haori. As she sat there in his arms, her dream came flooding back to her. She shivered slightly, remembering the cold mist. He unconsciously pulled her closer, stopping the shiver cold (ha) in its tracks. She wanted to stay there forever, but she knew she couldn't. Sighing, she pulled his arms away from her. He mumbled something that she couldn't understand, and curled up into a ball beside the wall, hugging himself.

Kagome yawned and stretched, eyes scanning the hut for her backpack. She found it in a vacant corner of the room. Walking up to it, she saw some ramen sitting out, and one of the flaps of the bag open. Smiling, she went to examine the contents of her bag. All of her books were there, and so was all of the food; except the ramen of course. But that was okay. She pulled out a banana, and her math book, along with some paper. After polishing off the banana she stepped outside with her homework.

All activity outside stopped when the door to the hut opened. Sango smiled happily and ran to her, pulling her into a hug.

"We were so scared!" she said sadly.

"Hey Kagome!" Miroku shouted from across the clearing. "Did you sleep well?!"

Kagome blushed brightly and was tempted to run over there and hit him on the head, but Sango beat her to it. She left off a path to the right, telling nobody to follow, she needed peace and quiet to study. After she reached the clearing, she sat down with her math book spread before her. But she couldn't concentrate on the problems just yet. She was curious. Why had she felt like a sack of dead gopher meat yesterday, but today she felt fine. It just didn't make much sense. She hoped that it wouldn't happen again. That had been the worse headache-if you could call it that- that she'd ever had. Concentrating on her math once again, she studied the book.

"Let's see.." she said to no one in particular, "Graph y<3/2x-2 and f(x)<4/7x+5.. oh joy."

Inuyasha awoke slowly, vaguely noticing that something was missing. After his eyes opened, he realized that Kagome was what was missing. He sighed, wishing he had been the first to awaken. He truly hoped that she wouldn't 'sit' him for pulling her into his lap. At the time, he thought that it had been the right thing to do, but he wasn't so sure now. He sniffed, and immediately caught Kagome's scent. After tracking it around the room, he followed the scent out the door.

All activity ceased once again as the Hanyou stepped from behind the door. Everyone turned to look at him. They didn't just look though.. They stared.

"What?!" he barked (ha) nervously. Their staring was scaring him.

"Hey Inuyasha!" Miroku called from a safe distance. "Did you sleep well?!"

Inuyasha just glared at Miroku till his grin faded into nothingness. A mew was heard behind him, and he turned to see Sango with Kirara on her shoulder. She smiled, and put her hand on his shoulder.

"If you want to talk to Kagome, she went that way," she told him.

Nodding his thanks, Inuyasha turned to go that direction. Shippou blocked his path.

"I'm sorry .. For blaming you .." He said sullenly. "Kagome said that you were telling the truth."

Inuyasha looked quizzically at the kitsuné. He was apologizing? That was something. The little fox-child chose that moment to run off and resume his play. Sighing to himself, he followed the path that Sango had pointed out. While he walked, he thought about last night. He hoped that she felt better. But, then again she hoped that she didn't think that he had taken advantage of the situation. After walking for a while, his ears picked up the sound of laughter. Walking into a clearing on his left, he saw Kagome sitting on the ground furiously scribbling on a piece of paper, his red haori folded beside her.

"Yes!" she yelled excitedly. "I get it!"

His ears swiveled towards her and he sat down across from her.

"Hey Inuyasha!" she said without looking up. After she finished scribbling, she put the paper back in the book, and shut it.

"Oh!" she said suddenly, picking up his haori from the ground. "Here!" she said grinning "Thanks so much!" He took the neatly folded bundle from her and proceeded to put it on. After he was done, he sat thinking for a moment. Kagome settled herself against the back of a nearby tree. She had just gotten comfortable when Inuyasha spoke. "About last night .." He said softly. "I'm sorry .."

She could tell that it was difficult for him to say it, to apologize was something he didn't do often.

"What's to be sorry for?" she asked him. "You didn't do anything wrong that I know of."

His ears drooped. "You sure? Last night?"

Kagome didn't understand. What was so terrible about last night. Then she understood. He must've thought that she would be mad about him holding her in his lap.

"Inuyasha.." She began.

Inuyasha hung his head and braced himself for the inevitable 'sit' command. She must be furious at him. She probably did think that he'd taken advantage of her in the state she was in last night. When she didn't say anything further, he lifted his head up. Kagome had stood. She looked directly at him. She put her cool hand under his chin, and lifted it up towards her.

"Inuyasha," she said gently. "Look at me."

He expected a slap or something, but all she did was sigh.

"Last night, after I passed out, I had a dream..or rather, a nightmare.

He didn't really understand what she was getting at, but he decided to listen.

"What was it about?" he whispered.

After she explained her dream in detail, Inuyasha understood that what he did had been the right thing.

"See Inuyasha," she said, "If your temperature drops or rises too far, you can die. If I was as cold as you say I was, the I might've died."

His eyes widened in shock. He didn't want her to die! She was too nice to die..even when she was sitting him. 'Too beautiful too..' A little voice whispered in his head. He shook that last thought out of his head. She'd never like him like that. He was only a Hanyou- a half-breed. Nobody wanted a half-breed. He still heard the voices from his childhood. "Half- breed! Stupid loser!" There were other names, but he didn't want to think about it right now. He hung his head in embarrassment. He would be a good doggie and be nice to everyone-even Shippou- from now on.

"If you're nice to others, they'll be nice to you."

His mother had told him that as a child. But when he wanted his ball back from those mean people.. He'd asked nicely. All they had done was call him 'another unwanted Hanyou-dog child.' He sighed heavily. Kagome hugging him brought him back to the present.

"You're great," she told him. "The best friend I've ever had!"

Inuyasha sighed softly, returning the embrace. She gave him one last squeeze before releasing him. She held her hand out to him. She didn't really think he'd accept, but she figured it was the right thing to do.

She was surprised when he accepted her offer, and she hauled him up. Then she gather up her math book and started to walk back.

"Do you want a ride?" he asked her.

She broke out in a smile, and climbed aboard. She wrapped her knees around his waist, and he put his arms under them, holding her onto his back. She leaned against him as he started the walk back to the hut. When they walked into camp, Kagome immediately went to Sango.

"Sango?" she asked.

"Yeah?"

"Could I talk to you for a second?"

"Uh, sure……..."

Sango nodded and followed Kagome back to the hut. They both sat down, and Kagome started the conversation.

"Something's wrong with Inuyasha." She told the Yokai exterminator.

"What do you mean?" Sango asked. "Is he sick?"

"No………..I don't think so." Kagome answered softly. "He's just acting weird."

"Define weird."

"Well, he's being all nice and stuff. He even apologized for holding me last night!"

"Oh!" Sango's eyes widened. "That kind of weird. Miroku's been acting weird all morning. He hasn't made a move on me yet!"

"Really?" Kagome gasped. "We'd better take advantage of this!"

"Right!" Sango agreed. "Hopefully I can spend some time with Miroku before he, well, starts to act normal again."

"You and Miroku would be so cute together!" Kagome sighed dreamily.

Sango blushed. "You and Inuyasha are perfect together too, you know that?"

"I wish………." Kagome sighed. "But I don't think that he likes me..as a friend maybe, but not as anything more.

"Whatever!" Sango snorted. "I saw his face when he brought you here after you passed out! He looked so forlorn, Kagome. He didn't know what to do to help you, and he couldn't protect you from what was ailing you in the first place."

"But-"

"But nothing. It's hard for Inuyasha to put his emotions out into the air. Think about it for a second, Kagome. If he dances around the woods yelling his love for you, word would get around, and everyone would know that you are his weak spot! Maybe he does love you- no.. no, in fact……... I'm sure that he does. Nevertheless, he doesn't want to go and broadcast it to everyone. Do you understand?"

"Yeah……….."

"He's got a rough exterior, but inside, I'm sure he's as soft as a cloud. It might take some time to get him to trust you enough, but if I were you, I'd take advantage of his nice state, and try to spend some time with him. If you're lucky, maybe he'll open up."

"Thanks Sango, you've been a great help." Kagome told her appreciatively. "Hold on.."

She walked over to her bag, put her math book in, and opened up a smaller flap in the front. "Aha!" she exclaimed happily. "I found it!"

"This is for you, "Kagome said, handing a dark chocolate bar over to Sango.

"Hey thanks!" Sango said happily.

"No problem!" Kagome smiled, leaving the hut.



THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR READING THIS! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! ^-^ NEWAYZ, PLZ REVIEW! ANONYMOUS OR SIGNED! (YES, IT'S THAT LITTLE BUTTON IN THE CORNER.) HEEHEE THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

~~Sweet Sango~~