InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'm Teaching Myself To Dream ❯ Flashbacks Part 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm Teaching Myself To Dream

Disclaimer: Don't own Inuyasha, don't own any of the airlines, don't own any of the

Songs, lyrics, music, all songs are work done by geniuses who I think are awesome, so please,

Don't sue me. Once again, I only have a penny…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm Teaching Myself To Dream

Chapter 2: Flashbacks Pt 2

How long had it been? He didn't even remember. He had long since ago lost count. He was up in the God tree sulking, it's what he usually did in the evening. He didn't remember the last time he got a good night's sleep. Oh, yeah, when Kagome was here. Even if he was half-demon, he still needed sleep.

She'd tell him to get some, to rest and take care of himself. No she wouldn't, she probably didn't care anymore. Did she? She used to. She told him, the last time he ever saw her. And the last time he saw her, he made her cry. He had to strain because he was in pain, but he smelt them. He smelt the tears. The last four words she said to him were "I loved you Inuyasha." The last five were "Sit! I loved you Inuyasha." How could he be so stupid? He knew when he talked about Kikyou it hurt her. That's the last thing he ever wanted to do to her. But, he just wanted her to get mad. Honestly, he thought she was kind of cute when she was mad. AAAAAagh! He was thinking about her AGAIN! He needed to stop. His thoughts always drifted to her. But she was gone, she wasn't coming back, even if she could, she probably wouldn't. Why would she want to be with HIM? After all he did. He didn't have a chance with her. Why torture himself by thinking about her? Oh, yeah, cause he loved to think about her. That's all he did anymore. Think, eat, sleep, think about Kagome, sulk, be depressed, occasionally help out at the village when Sango, Miroku, and Kaede forced him to come down and stop sulking, and often he would have to drive off a certain dead priestess who wanted to drag him into Hell. Seeing her only made him angry, with himself and her. Whenever he saw her, he realized how different she was from Kagome, and how Kagome was so much better. Kagome was so full of life, always smiling, and always cheerful. The only times he saw her otherwise was when he did something to make her mad, and he hated it. Kikyou was just so full of hatred, she was always tense, and she always made him feel like he had to be better. With Kagome he could just be himself, and be loved for who he was. That's right, loved. She loved him, as he loved her. But she probably didn't love him anymore. He didn't know if she did, he didn't know how she was doing, or what she was doing. He wanted to know if she was sulking, like him, or if she was dating some other guy, or even if she loved another guy. He let out a low involuntarily growl when he thought this. He wanted to know if she was over him, if she was having a horrible life, if she was living like a queen, or just a normal, simple, life like she always said she wanted to. What about the shards? Did she get rid of them? Did she still have them? Have any demons attacked? Has she tried to open the well? Did she even think about it? Was SHE the one who sealed the well? Did she try to forget about it? About everything that had happened? Had she tried to forget their quest? Their adventures? Her friends? Their relationship? Had she tried to forget about everyone here, including HIM?

He wanted to know. He hated what he had done to her, and he wished that he could have a second chance. Maybe if he had known that the well was going to close up and they would never see each other again, then he could've made the goodbye a better one. Instead of her hating him, he wished he could've told her how he felt.

How did he feel? He loved her. He could honestly say, he loved Kagome with all his heart. He loved her dark brown eyes, her raven black hair, and her white smile. He loved her kindness, her concern for others, and her unselfishness. He wanted to tell her that, he wanted to spill his heart out, and he wanted her to accept him and be with him. But admitting it was the hard part. Around her, he had never shown any of his feelings. Well sometimes he did, okay maybe, more than just 'sometimes'. But the moments he did show his feelings, he treasured. There were a lot of moments he remembered. Not all of them however, did he treasure...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Inuyasha?"

"What?"

"Why do you want to become full demon?"

"So I can get stronger, Duh! Why would I want to be a weakling for the rest of my life?"

"So, you'd rather be a strong, fighting machine without a mind of it's own, than a sometimes sane hanyou?"

"What do you mean sometimes sane?"

"I'm serious Inuyasha," She paused and looked at the fire. "You'd rather be a mindless demon, than what you are now?"

"I wouldn't be mindless, I would have Tetsuiga to keep my mind!" He crossed his arms and closed his eyes. The fire in the middle of the woods was warm, and though he wouldn't admit it, he was kind of cold. The others were asleep, only him and Kagome remained awake.

Kagome just sighed. "That wouldn't work."

"What?"

"It wouldn't work. You'd be full demon remember?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm saying that Tetsuiga works for humans, you can wield it because you're half human, but when you become transformed, it won't work for you."

"Keh. Yeah right."

She just glared at him. "Whatever, night Inuyasha." She snuggled into her sleeping bag and drifted off to sleep.

He listened to her breathing even out before he opened his eyes to watch her sleep. She was pretty when she was asleep. Okay, she was pretty when she was awake too. He thought about what she said. 'She can't be right, can she?' He contemplated this for a few minutes, before deciding that he needed some sleep. He quietly whispered "Night Kagome" before drifting off to sleep himself.

*_*-*_*-*_*-*_*-*_*-*_*-*_*-*_*

"Come with me."

"I can't."

"Yes, you can."

"No, I can't"

"Don't tell me it's because of my stupid reincarnation."

"Kikyou-"

"Don't worry," She looked up at him and put one of her clay hands to his cheek and looked at him directly in the eyes. He gave a small involuntary shudder when the icy coldness of her eyes pierced his own. "You won't have to worry about her anymore. She'll be gone from this world soon."

She tightened her grip on him as she felt him grow tense. His eyes widened and he held his breath.

"What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said. She's dying, I can sense it, and she won't be here for very long. Who knows, maybe I'll get my whole soul back-"

Inuyasha threw her off him as he ran out of the forest. He didn't smell her until he passed the barrier Kikyou's soul stealers set up. As soon as he passed the barrier he smelled her blood and panicked. She was bleeding, a lot. He ran in the direction of her scent. Her usually floral scent was now drained out and replaced with the most-gut wrenching smell that ever passed his nose. That smell meant Kagome was in SERIOUS danger. With one giant leap he was at least a couple miles further. He was running the fastest he had ever run in his entire life, for different reasons. Partially because he was VERY angry. If he didn't have Tetsuiga with him, he might've turned into a full demon right there. Another part of him was confused, how did it happen? The other part of him, and the biggest part of him, was filled with fear, fear for Kagome. He was so scared that he would've collapsed to his knees if he hadn't had the adrenaline pushing him, making him run to Kagome.

^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^ _^_^_^

He finished off the demon, sent by Naraku. He tended to Kagome's wounds, and everyone else went back to Kaede's. Inuyasha, however took Kagome to the well and took her back to her house. Kagome's mom and Grandfather wasn't there, and Souta was asleep. He went up to her room and sat down on the floor cradling her in his arms. When she began to stir he sat her upright in his lap. He looked at her when she opened her eyes, she was obviously confused.

She glanced around the room, taking in her surroundings. A light blush covered her cheeks when she notice she was in his lap, which only made him blush.

"Where am I?"

"You're in your room. Naraku sent a demon after you."

"How are the others?"

"They're fine, Sango hurt her arm and Miroku hurt his leg, but nothing too serious."

She sighed and leaned back against him. He turned his head away from her to gaze at the wall. A little blush was creeping up to his cheeks because of her last action.

"I'm sorry."

(You know the rest from Kagome's flashback)

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^*^*^*^*^

"What the fuck is taking her so long?"

Inuyasha sat in a tree, waiting for Kagome to come back, and he tried to make it sound like he was angry with her for being late. The others knew that they had gotten into a fight (they COULD hear the 'sit'), but they didn't know why. The just figured it was because he wanted her gone for a day or two, when she wanted a week. But he knew the real reason why she left this time, and he hated it. It was when they had had the big fight where he accused her of liking other guys, and Kagome reminding him of all the stupid mistakes he made with Kikyou, like... kissing her. He was waiting for her. As soon as they were alone, he was going to... apologize. That's not something he did very often. He didn't like letting others know that he was wrong.

"Give her some time Inuyasha." Sango said at the base of the tree, sitting down cleaning her boomerang.

"Yes." Added the monk who was leaning against the tree sitting next to Sango. "Especially considering that sit... I have a feeling she might want to be alone for awhile."

"Oi, Inuyasha." Shippo jumped up to the branch Inuyasha was on. "What did you fight about this time anyway?"

Inuyasha didn't want to tell them what he did. He already felt bad enough about it, he didn't need them to lecture him and make him feel even worse. So, not wanting to talk about it, he said-

"Keh. None of YOUR business twerp!"

"Heh," Shippo crossed his arms, much like what Inuyasha does. "I bet you did something stupid like compare her to Kikyou, or even accuse her of liking Hojo! You really are an idiot."

"Why you little-"

With a shriek the little fox jumped up to the next branch.

"If Kagome was here, she'd protect me, but thanks to YOU, she's mad, and we'll probably NEVER see her again!"

"Shut up you little runt! And she better come back and finish the jewel shards, I'll drag her here if I have to!" Inuyasha held up a claw to Shippo threateningly but Shippo just stuck his tongue out at him.

"You little-"

"Ahem."

Inuyasha held Shippo in mid air by his tail so they were eye level, Sango had her hand frozen in a mid swing towards Miroku's face, and Miroku was staring at the hand coming towards his face fearfully, very thankful for the pause, when one of his hands were rested on Sango's bottom. They all looked over to a lone figure standing in the clearing, Kaede. She was the first one to break the silence.

"Although I know how badly the shards must be found," she paused and looked at Inuyasha momentarily, then continued to talk in Miroku and Sango's direction. "Kagome does need to be in her own time for a little while. She spends so much time here that it interferes with her own life in the future." Kaede said calmly.

"Interferes with what? Her school crap!? I don't give a damn about her school! She can do that stuff when the jewel is complete!"

Kaede sighed. Inuyasha hated it when people sighed at him, they acted like he was some child who didn't know anything and every little thing needed to be explained to him. Kaede sighed at him like that, Sango and Miroku sighed at him, Shippo sighed at him, complete strangers that were only going to be temporary help sighed at him, even Kagome sighed at him. Still calm Kaede spoke.

"Have you listened to nothing I have said Inuyasha?"

"I heard you old woman-"

"But have you listened?"

"What the hell are you talking about?" Inuyasha dropped Shippo and landed gracefully to the ground. A squealing Shippo landed in Sango's arms, and Miroku breathed out a sigh of relief as Sango's once extended arm was now holding Shippo, no longer in 'slapping-perverted-monk-range'.

"You hear what I say, but you do not listen." Kaede paused for a second, when the hanyou tried to speak she cut him off. "You seem to hear me but you do not take it into comprehension, you hear me but in goes in one of your ears, and out the other. You hear me but your mind is elsewhere, so when you look at the person who's talking to you, you look right through them."

"Keh, what do you know old woman! Nothing!" He crossed his arms and leapt up into the tree.

She sighed at him again and shook her head a little. "Give Kagome some time in her era, let her come when she chooses." And with that Kaede walked away towards the village.

"Let her come back when she chooses my ass! She'll come back when I want her to! We have shards to find!" He yelled as soon as she was gone from sight.

'Besides, she might not want to come back...' He thought.

"We can find the shards later, besides, a break sounds good right about now." Sango said while stroking Shippo's auburn hair.

"Yes, a vacation is exactly what everyone needs."

"That sounds fun, I heard Kagome talking about taking a vacation and it-"

"What? I bet she's there now!" He jumped to the well and peered down.

"What are you doing Inuyasha?" Miroku asked sounding bored.

"I'm going to drag her back here! She can have a vay-kay-shon thingy here!" Inuyasha said turning back to look at the monk.

"Did you completely ignore what Keade just said?" Shippo stuck his head in Inuyasha's direction. "You really must have a thick head!"

"Shut up you little runt!"

"Make me!"

"Why you!"

A shriek was heard as Shippo ran out of Sango's arms and was chased around in circles at the trunk of the tree. Sango, Kirara, and Miroku just watched with bored expressions on their faces.

"How long do you think it will last?" Miroku asked Sango who had gone back to cleaning her boomerang.

"Shouldn't be too long, in a few minutes Inuyasha should remember that he wants Kagome back here and he'll go on about how she needs to find the shards..."

Miroku nodded his head and began to meditate. After a few minutes Shippo was getting tired. Inuyasha was getting bored and his thoughts started to wander, they drifted back to Kagome.

Suddenly he stopped, but Shippo who was still running around the tree didn't notice until he had gone all the way around and ran into the back of Inuyasha's legs. With a thud he fell to the ground massaging his bottom.

"Ow..."

"I'm not waiting any more!"

And with that Inuyasha took a giant leap towards the well.

"Told you." Sango said as she cleaned the boomerang with Kirara on her lap.

"Hmmm..." Miroku said as he opened one eye before continuing with his meditating.

Inuyasha jumped into the well as Shippo went and sat by Sango, watching her work. Everything was peaceful, until...

"WHY THE HELL AM I STILL HERE?"

#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#

"Inuyasha!"

"Inuyasha! Come down from there!"

No answer

"Inuyasha, come on!"

"What about the jew~el sha~rds?"

The three were trying everything they could to get him down, but nothing worked. It was the third time they tried that day.

"Idiot! You know we can't find them without Kagome!"

"Come down here Inuyasha!" Miroku tried again.

"No!"

All three sighed, they would just have to try again later, and he wasn't going anywhere now.

0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o

"Leave me, Kikyou."

"Why Inuyasha? Don't you want to be with me?"

"..."

"Don't be like this Inuyasha, she's gone, and she's never coming back. But I'm still here, the better woman won."

"You aren't better than her..."

"What?"

"You aren't better than her, no one will ever be better than her."

"What?"

"You'll never be as good as her! Never!"

Kikyou's face hardened and she gave out a frustrated growl.

"Fine then, I was going to do this the nice way, and ASK you to come into hell with me. I hoped that your guilt for my demise was going to be enough to convince you, but I see now that I will just have to drag you down with me!"

"Good luck, cause you're going alone! Or bringing someone else! Cause I ain't EVER going ANYWHERE with YOU!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Inuyasha sulked some more, slumping down on his spot in the tree. The sky was a mixture of orange, purple, and red, as the sun was just beginning to set on the horizon. He wanted Kagome to be there with him more than anything. But, he couldn't do anything at all. The well was sealed, and no one could open it. He gave a heavy sigh.

'Is this all I'm going to do for the rest of my life? Sit around and mope? There's gotta be something I can do…'

He played with the necklace around his neck. What used to be such an annoyance was now his only connection to Kagome. He had actually started to miss her telling him to 'Sit'. Shippo thought he was crazy when he told him this, but he didn't care. He missed being slammed into the ground day after day, at least he would know she was around. Yes, it was crazy. But he didn't care. He didn't care about a lot of things anymore. Nothing had meaning. He didn't care about the jewel shards anymore, of course he wouldn't if Kagome was still here either.

The jewel shards were merely an excuse to be with Kagome, to stay by her side, to keep her coming back to him. He just made it sound like he cared about them so no one would notice his true feelings. Even then he showed his feelings, and now, once he thought about it, he wish he showed his feelings more often. If he did, than maybe he wouldn't feel so bad about the way she had left, or then again, maybe it would've hurt more.

What if it would've hurt more to show her his feelings? What would've happened if he had finally told her how he felt, but only to have her taken away from him? He figured it would've been more pain, but, if he had admitted his feelings, then would the well have sealed up anyway? The reason why the well closed up was confusing to him.

`If Kagome was here, she'd protect me, but thanks to YOU, she's mad, and we'll probably NEVER see her again!'

Shippo's words echoed in his mind. He shook his head to clear his thoughts. He decided he wouldn't think about what Shippo said, instead he would think about a safer, but no less painful subject.

'Why did the well close up?' He knitted his brows in confusion. 'Did she seal it up?' He hated the thought of her hating him so much that she never wanted to see him again, but it WAS a possibility. 'Did Naraku do it? Or… Kikyou even?' He shook his head. 'No. They don't know about the well, they couldn't possibly-'

"I-Inuyasha?"

His thoughts were interrupted by a certain small kitsune who looked like he was on the verge of tears.

The kitsune didn't get an answer. The only thing the half-demon in the tree did was turn his head away from the kitsune and looked at the remainder of the sun set with a blank expression on his face.

"Inuyasha?" The little kitsune tried again. He wasn't any louder the second time he called him than the first. Shippo was standing by the tree. Inuyasha mentally cursed himself for not noticing him sooner. Shippo took a couple steps forward towards the tree. Inuyasha didn't budge. Shippo knew that Inuyasha wanted to be alone, but he was alone too much. Shippo was sad about Kagome leaving too! He missed her just as much as he did. He was only a kid, a kid who had just lost someone who was like a mother to him. He needed comfort. He could always get comfort in Kaede, who was like his grandmother, or Sango and Miroku. But he and Inuyasha had known her longest. He needed to get comfort from Inuyasha, who knew what he was feeling. HE needed to comfort INUYASHA. They both had just lost the most important person in their lives, and Inuyasha wasn't doing anything but sulking, leaving a poor, lost, and lonely, Shippo on his own with his thoughts. He needed to talk to someone, and that someone was Inuyasha.

"Inuyasha." He was a little more demanding this time but he still had the same volume. He walked to the base of the tree and looked up.

He was ignoring him, or at least he was trying to. He didn't want to be bothered right then. He wanted to be alone with his thoughts. And Shippo wasn't helping any. Out of the corner of his eye he could see the little blob of fur standing there with wide eyes looking at him expectantly. But he didn't move.

His ears perked and moved slightly in the little kitsune's direction as he heard rustling on the ground and little groans and grunts of frustration came from him. The fox was trying to get up the tree, and at first he was having a lot of trouble. But he soon made his way up to the branch that Inuyasha was on. He turned in Inuyasha's direction, crossed his arms and stared at him.

Inuyasha just continued staring blankly at the sun that was almost out of view. The sky was beginning to grow dark and the last of the day's sunrays glittered down over the land making a beautiful scene. But no one in the Inuyasha group was in the mood to see its beauty.

"Inuyasha." Shippo walked right up to Inuyasha who was still trying to ignore him. "Stop that already would ya?" Shippo looked at him in frustration.

"Go away Shippo." He told Shippo, he never moved his head from that direction. His voice was full of sadness.

"I'm not going anywhere, you need me just as much as I need you."

Inuyasha turned and looked at him. What Shippo saw was the most heart-breaking thing that the fox had ever seen. In Inuyasha's eyes he saw the saddest looking hanyou he could ever imagine. Inuyasha was really lonely, Shippo could tell.

"I miss her too." Shippo said as tears that had formed began to fall.

Inuyasha just looked at him, his eyes were red but no tears were there. Shippo had begun to sob uncontrollably and he looked like he wasn't going to stop.

Inuyasha slowly reached out to him and pulled him close to his body. Shippo clung to his Kimono tight as he cried into the fabric. Inuyasha held him tight against him and he closed his eyes. As he did, a single tear fell from an eye.

"Tomorrow," Inuyasha said holding Shippo tighter. "We'll find a way to see her..."

"P-promise?" Shippo said clutching the fire-rat fabric in his tiny paws.

Inuyasha opened his eyes and gazed up at the stars. There was one in particular that caught his eye, one that he thought shone brighter than all the rest (no, it isn't the North Star). As he looked up at the star with a determined face, he said-

"Promise."