InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ Disaster ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
(Because if I did Kikyo would be gone; Rin would grow up faster and Kagome and InuYasha would get together already!)
 
A/N: I know this is taking forever to get to Sesshomaru and Rin stuff, but a good story (in my opinion) has detail, and doesn't go straight to the plot line. Otherwise it'd be one dame short story. SO ONWARD AND UPWARD!….er…whatever. Just enjoy.
 
 
CHAPTER EIGHT: DISATER
 
After dinner, Daichi and Isamu took Linda and Rin for a walk in the park. Arm in arm they walked, talking about school and whatever came to mind. All night the little girl had appeared, smiling and laughing. Rin did her best to ignore her, but it was proving to be difficult.
Now as they walked through the park she saw the little girl picking flowers and humming a strange song. One that sounded eerily familiar to Rin.
The group stopped at a two swinging benches and sat down. Rin flinched as the little girl suddenly appeared right in front of her, smiled, and then ran off.
Taking a shaking breath Rin turned to Isamu who looked at her with concern, “Rin? Are you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost.”
Rin smiled calmly though her heart was pounding wildly, “Oh, I'm fine. I'm sorry if I spaced out. What where you saying?”
Rin mentally kicked herself, “I sound like one of those Barbie cheerleaders. This is getting sad. Linda, you owe me big time.”
She turned to her friend, who at the moment had her face stuck to Daichi's.
Rin made a face, “Oh gimmie a brake.”
Isamu scooted closer and put his arm behind Rin, “Did you have a nice time Rin?”
Rin started rummaging through the purse Linda made her bring, “I know where you're going with this cowboy. And you can forget it. Being nice to you is one thing, kissing you is quite another.”
She answered Isamu absentmindedly, “Oh, yeah it was fun. Thanks for taking me.”
Where is that damn lipstick?!”
Isamu leaned in closer and Rin's search became frantic, “Damn it Linda. If you took it out of here….Ah-ha! There you are!” Rin snatched the lipstick tube out of her purse like she had just found the Lost City of Atlantis.
Quickly applying it to her lips she felt a twinge of guilt as Isamu pulled away, obviously disappointed. “Sorry, Isamu. But that ain't happening.”
Smiling brightly Rin looked up at Isamu as if nothing had happened, “So, what collage are you planning on going to?”
Isamu jumped slightly, “What? Oh….I'm aiming for Tokyo University. Everyone in my family's gone there; it's like an unspoken tradition.”
“That's nice. I hope you get in. I think I…” her voice trailed off as she stared behind Isamu. It was that man. The one with the golden eyes. Standing across the street, just staring at her.
“Rin?”
Rin jumped to her feet, “Excuse me. I'll be right back.” She took off running without waiting for an answer.
“Rin!”
Isamu's call brought Daichi and Linda out of their own little world. Linda frowned when she didn't see Rin, “Where'd she go?”
Isamu shrugged, “She just suddenly took off. Had a really funny look on her face.”
Linda groaned inwardly, “Oh no. Not again!”
Jumping up Linda grabbed Daichi's hand and pulled him after her, “Come on. We have to follow her!”
 
As soon as Rin crossed the street the man disappeared, but off to her left Rin saw the little girl; she giggled and ran down an alley.
“Hey!” Rin called, “Wait!”
She followed the girl but when she entered the alley, she was gone.
Facing the entrance Rin groaned in frustration, “Where'd you go? Please, tell me who you are!”
“What are you doing?”
Rin turned, down the alley a small man stood in the shadows.
“Hello?” Rin called out, “Who's there?”
“Rin!”
Linda, Daichi and Isamu came running up behind Rin. Seeing Rin just standing in the middle of a dark alley, talking to the air made Linda worried.
She frowned, “Rin? What's wrong?”
Rin ignored her, and stared at the man, “Who are you?
“Come quickly child. Our lord is leaving” he turned and hurried into the darkness.
“Wait!” Rin yelled and ran after him.
Linda sighed in exasperation, “Rin! Where are you going?! Rin, come back here!”
She turned to Daichi and Isamu, “I don't know what's gotten into her!” she cried.
Isamu touched her arm briefly, “I'll get her” and he ran in the direction that Rin had disappeared.
Linda gently rubbed her temples with her fingertips, “Rin....I'm going to kill you.”
 
Rin stopped in the darkness, placing her hands on her knees she stood still and panted. “Where did he go?” She straighten and looked around, “And where am I?”
“Rin! What are you doing?”
Rin whirled around; the man was behind her again.
“Foolish human! Do you want to die?”
Rin frowned, “Human?”
She stepped forward, “Who are you?”
Squinting into the darkness she tried to make out his shape. Suddenly he appeared in front of her and she yelped in surprise.
He wasn't a man at all. Standing at about 3 feet, he was dressed in a brown kimono, and in his hand he held a tall staff with two heads at the top. His skin was green, and had a toad-like face.
“What are you?” she whispered and held her hand out; he vanished into thin air right before her eyes. Rin jerked back, scared and surprised, “I am dreaming?”
“Rin?”
Rin jumped around to see Isamu standing behind her, a strange look on his face, “Are you alright?”
Linda and Daichi left to talk to Rin's parents and Isamu had followed Rin, but lost her in the darkness. He heard her yelp and came running; just in time to see her talking and out-stretching her hand, to the air.
“Who were you talking to Rin?” the young man asked carefully.
Rin shook her head, “I don't know. Didn't you see him?”
Isamu slowly approached her, “No. I didn't see anyone.”
Rin sighed, “But...he as right here. Just seconds before you called my name. He-” she stopped, her eyes wide. “Oh my god” she whispered.
“What is it? What's wrong?”
Rin pointed behind him, “Can't you see it? That...that thing?”
Isamu looked behind her, but all he saw was a brick wall and a green dumpster. “There's nothing there Rin!”
“Yes there is!” she hissed, her eyes locked.
Standing before her was a hideous creature; a huge bear-like body with and bird's head and dripping fangs. It growled and snapped at Rin.
Flinched Rin jumped back, pulling Isamu with her.
Isamu looked back and forth between Rin and the wall, “Rin?”
The creature jumped and landing in front of Rin with a roar. Rin screamed and fell backwards, scraping her hands and legs, “No! Get away! Leave me alone!”
Isamu grabbed Rin by the shoulders and shook her, “Rin! What the hell is going on?!”
She didn't respond. Her eyes remained focused on a something in front of her. Something Isamu couldn't see.
Rin covered her face with her arms, “Somebody help me!”
Suddenly the creature was gone, and Rin struggled to breathe, “Where'd it go?” she cried.
“Rin, there was nothing there. I don't understand what you're talking about.”
Rin looked up at Isamu, her dark eyes full of fear and confusion, “But I-”
“Help me!”
Rin's eyes snapped over from Isamu's face to behind him; to a little girl lying on the ground, the creature standing menacing over her. It was the small little girl that had followed Rin all night.
“The little girl! I saw her earlier. She's in trouble!”
Rin struggled against Isamu's hold on her, “Rin stop. We need to take you home.”
“No. I have to help her.”
The creature opened it's jaw and rushed for the girl's head.
“NO!!!!!!!”
A flash of white flew by, and jumped at the creature. In the blink of an eye the creature was dead and the child lay in a man's arms.
A man dressed in white with long sliver hair.
“My lord...thank you...” the little girl murmured “I knew you would come...”
Rin gasped as the man turned and looked straight at her, his golden eyes burning into her soul.
“I know you” she whispered.
Isamu frowned, “What?”
Rin gently took Isamu's hands from her arms and walked forward, “You're...the man from my dreams....”
He turned and started to walk away, “No! Don't go!” she reached a hand out, “Who are you?!”
The man didn't turn, or acknowledge Rin's calls; he just simply walked and disappeared into the mist.
Rin sank to her knees, her whole body trembling, “What's going on?”
Isamu gently touched Rin's shoulder and she jumped, “Oh...Isamu...It's you.”
Isamu looked at her in concern, “Rin? Are you alright? What happened?”
The reality of what she just did hit Rin just a ton of bricks. “I couldn't control myself, I should've kept quite. But I couldn't. Now Isamu thinks I'm a nutcase.”
She placed her head in her hands and sighed deeply, “Linda, is going to kill me.”
 
Linda paced the floor at the Higurashi Shine. She and Daichi had arrived an hour before and explained what had happened to Kagome and InuYasha. InuYasha and Miroku immediately left to look for Isamu and Rin, while Kagome went to the phone to see if anyone had seen them.
And for that hour Linda paced. From the far living room wall to the hallway and back again.
Mrs. Higurashi and Souta had come over with Yanna and Kit as soon as they heard; Mrs. Higurashi was now putting them to bed while Souta and Daichi watched Linda pace.
Souta leaned over to Daichi, “Good thing we never really liked that carpet.”
Daichi raised an eyebrow then chuckled. The carpet where Linda walked was thoroughly worn down and didn't look like the dent would ever go away.
The front door shut and Linda raced out of the room with Daichi and Souta right behind her. Isamu and Rin stood in the entryway, both soaked from the rain.
“Rin!” Kagome rushed past Linda and embraced the younger girl, “Are you alright?”
Rin nodded, “I need to change,” her teeth chattered slightly. She handed Isamu his coat back, “Thank you” she whispered.
Isamu smiled and nodded as he took it from her.
Linda stepped forward and not so gently took her friend's hand and dragged her up the stairs; half way up she stopped and turned Rin around, “Say thank you and goodnight” she hissed in Rin's ear.
Rin jumped and glared at Linda but didn't say anything. She knew Linda was very upset.
Smiling sweetly Rin looked at Isamu, “Thank you Isamu. I had a nice time.”
Linda jabbed her in the side and Rin winced, “Tomorrow. Tell him you'll see him tomorrow.”
Rin set her jaw; she knew where Linda was going with this.
But just because she was mad at Rin for running off, didn't give her the right to dictate what to say to her date, or that she would see him again.
Kagome grimaced as she saw Rin set her jaw and the look in her eye; it was similar to the look InuYasha would get when he was about to speak his mind, to show nobody was in charge of him, and damn the consequences.
Kagome was right.
Rin yanked her arm out of Linda's grip and turned to Isamu again, “I really appreciate you taking me out tonight Isamu. And I'm sorry you had to chase me around town. I'm also sorry if Linda misled you when she set up this date. I have no intention of seeing you again, nor dating you again.”
Linda gasped and Kagome covered her face with her hands, “You may not be his blood daughter, but you sure as hell act like it!”
Rin ignored Linda's reaction and didn't miss a beat, “Farther more, I'm sorry to have wasted you time and money tonight. The only reason I agreed to this date was as a favor to Linda. One which I have given and now if you'll excuse me; I'm going to bed. Goodbye and goodnight.”
Raising her head high, Rin turned and walked up the stairs, leaving her friends and family in astonishment behind her.
 
Sesshomaru paused in his writings and looked up. A strange feeling settled over him; one of anger, confusion and fear all mixed together.
Setting his pen down, he stood and walked over to his window. Looking over his castle grounds, he found himself wondering what Rin would be doing right then if she had stayed with him. Playing with Ah'Un, out in the forest picking flowers, or working in the garden. He glanced over at her now forsaken garden, over-run with weeds and dead plants. “I wonder what she would look like now...no longer a child...she should be about 17 now.”
A young woman suddenly appeared in the garden; dressed in a light blue kimono with dark hair that fell down past her waist. She was bent over, working in the now beautiful garden. Roses were blooming everywhere and the garden over-flowed with green. Sesshomaru frowned and leaned forward, trying to see her face. She looked up suddenly and looked eyes with the demon lord. His golden orbs transfixed with her dark chocolate ones.
“Rin”
The girl raised a hand to wave and smiled; her beautiful faces showing peace and happiness. Then just as suddenly as she appeared she was gone again.
Sesshomaru sighed and walked back to his desk. He now knew why he was restless at night; what the strange feeling was; why he could only find peace at that damn tree. He missed her.
He missed Rin.